• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Character-wise, I can only see Joker and "Brave" being added for 3.0

Anyone else is wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
This whole "they'll come with multiple music tracks" thing makes me think all Fighter's Pass characters will be from new series, tbh. Not like it's the proof of anything, though, just a feeling.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y’know, I just realized something about Metroid Prime 4. Flashback to E3 2017 when everyone was wondering whether or not Retro was making the game. Nintendo came out and said no, they were putting together a new team for Metroid Prime 4.

So, question. What genre of gaming has been a big Achilles heel to Japanese Game Development? Yeah, first person games. I think Nintendo went out and put together the best of the best of the Japanese developers they could find and put them on the Metroid Prime 4 project. Problem? These developers don’t know how to make a first person game. And that’s not a bad thing but first person development is an entirely different beast than 3rd Person. Environments have to be though out with the characters height and field of view in mind, combat has to be tackled entirely differently, movement has to completely dependent on what the player can see, and the sound effects have to be tackled in a way that their dynamically changing around the in game characters head.

Japanese developers were just not prepared to make a first person game, let alone a first person Metroid game. That’s why when Retro introduced their prototype to Nintendo they were more than impressed. Because as game developers they are also connoisseurs of games and as Americans have been exposed to games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Far Cry over the past two decades. Pair that with the undeniable talent the Retro oh so obviously has, Tropical Freeze is a literal ****ing Modern Masterpiece, and you have an immediate recipe for success. Retro mastered the 2D platformer in one game, Donkey Kong Country Returns and turned around and said, “You know what. We can make it better.” In two games they changed the way 2D platformers were approached. They made a game that every other 2D platformer will be compared to. On their second try. Retro is one of the most talented studios on the planet. Just because some of the prominent developers at Retro left for Armature Studios and 343 Games didn’t mean the studio was devoid of talent and now their going to prove that for the 6th, maybe 7th, time with Metroid Prime 4.

Moral of the story? Nintendo should have started out with Retro in the first place. Now I understand if Retro was busy with whatever project they have going on currently but I think Nintendo may have assumed what the game journalism circle has for years. Anyone who was good at making Prime games left Retro long ago, and that just ain’t true. Anyways, bit of a rant but it occurred to me just now how often I hear about Japan hating first person games and then it clicked why Prime 4 is where it is. Really hoping Retro’s other product wasn’t canceled and that we at least see it this year. Guess we’ll find out by E3.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My imagination came back.

Pepsiman, Sandbag or Tofu (surprised I've never seen staindgrey staindgrey mention this one)?
Because RE2 actually has never been my favorite one. And also because I am unfunny and totally serious when I get into speculation mode.

But Tofu's ****ing hilarious in the remake, with each flavor being a different Japanese voice. God I love it.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have a new most wanted character: Hornet from Hollow Knight.

So far I liked her but I said myself "If we don't even have the main character in the roster, how are we supposed to get a secondary character in it?"
But now she's getting a full game all on her own, and it's likely going to be bigger than the original Hollow Knight.

Yeah, I think that Hornet now has a chance, and she's one of my favorites due to her weapon and moveset; also because she's very cool.

So, my new updated chart of most wanted characters is:

1- Adeleine
2- Hornet
3- Ganon
4- Karate Joe
5- Cpt Syrup

Honorable mentions:
Geno

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Y’know, I just realized something about Metroid Prime 4. Flashback to E3 2017 when everyone was wondering whether or not Retro was making the game. Nintendo came out and said no, they were putting together a new team for Metroid Prime 4.

So, question. What genre of gaming has been a big Achilles heel to Japanese Game Development? Yeah, first person games. I think Nintendo went out and put together the best of the best of the Japanese developers they could find and put them on the Metroid Prime 4 project. Problem? These developers don’t know how to make a first person game. And that’s not a bad thing but first person development is an entirely different beast than 3rd Person. Environments have to be though out with the characters height and field of view in mind, combat has to be tackled entirely differently, movement has to completely dependent on what the player can see, and the sound effects have to be tackled in a way that their dynamically changing around the in game characters head.

Japanese developers were just not prepared to make a first person game, let alone a first person Metroid game.
I mean.

RE7 was a pretty ****ing good first-person Metroidvania. I think it has less to do with Japanese ability and more to do with this specific project not going as planned.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Tonight:

>Me: I've finally completely beaten RE2make. I've unlocked every bonus, got every achievement, got S+ on all four campaigns. I'm done.

>Capcom: Hey we released three new DLC modes 45min ago with their own set of specific bonuses to unlock (a lot of them).

>Me: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean.

RE7 was a pretty ****ing good first-person Metroidvania. I think it has less to do with Japanese ability and more to do with this specific project not going as planned.
Resident Evil VII really didn’t come to mind when I mentioned that.
It was just "Japans can't make first person games, Retro can", not a big loss.
Thanks, now I just feel like ****ing **** for putting thought into that post.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I agree with Retro's work being phenomenal and Nintendo should go for the original developers in the first place but I didn't see a need for comparing countries while you were talking about a specific studio.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I agree with Retro's work being phenomenal and Nintendo should go for the original developers in the first place but I didn't see a need for comparing countries while you were talking about a specific studio.
It was more of an analysis of the lack of First-person games coming out of Japan and in turn the cultural significance of the genre in America and not in Japan than “comparing countries.” I was hoping to start a dialogue of whether or not my theory held any water but **** it I guess.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I understood the thoughts behind it. It's just dangerous to make generalizations about the capabilities of, like, an entire country.

The same could have been said about Metroid Prime originally, only swap out "FPS" with "Metroid game in general". Yes, Western developers make FPSes, but at the time they didn't really make Metroidvanias. And Retro Studios had a hot portfolio of... absolutely nothing. They were a brand new studio with no official project under their belt and some talent from the Turok games.

Nintendo putting faith in their ability to put together a new team to make a new game isn't exactly unfounded. They've kind of been doing that for, what, four decades?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I understood the thoughts behind it. It's just dangerous to make generalizations about the capabilities of, like, an entire country.

The same could have been said about Metroid Prime originally, only swap out "FPS" with "Metroid game in general". Yes, Western developers make FPSes, but at the time they didn't really make Metroidvanias. And Retro Studios had a hot portfolio of... absolutely nothing. They were a brand new studio with no official project under their belt and some talent from the Turok games.

Nintendo putting faith in their ability to put together a new team to make a new game isn't exactly unfounded. They've kind of been doing that for, what, four decades?
I wasn’t questioning the abilities of a country. Just the fact that FPS games aren’t a big deal over there while that genre has basically ruled t he industry over here. It was just an analysis. I wasn’t trying to be a ****.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait...

Wasn't Metroid Prime Hunters in-house developed (with Retro assistance)?
Metroid Prime Hunters also wasn't really all that good.

Like, at the time, simply having a Metroid Prime-esque experience on a portable console was amazing. But it hasn't aged well. It's very linear, blandly detailed and hard to play. That comes down more to the hardware limitations than anything else.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Bruh, why Yoshi looks like he's trying to invite me to look at his booty?
TBH he probably is. All his recent Mario Party victory animations have him flashing his butt at you.

It’s kinda weird.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Japanese developers were just not prepared to make a first person game, let alone a first person Metroid game. That’s why when Retro introduced their prototype to Nintendo they were more than impressed. Because as game developers they are also connoisseurs of games and as Americans have been exposed to games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Far Cry over the past two decades. Pair that with the undeniable talent the Retro oh so obviously has, Tropical Freeze is a literal ****ing Modern Masterpiece, and you have an immediate recipe for success. Retro mastered the 2D platformer in one game, Donkey Kong Country Returns and turned around and said, “You know what. We can make it better.” In two games they changed the way 2D platformers were approached. They made a game that every other 2D platformer will be compared to. On their second try. Retro is one of the most talented studios on the planet. Just because some of the prominent developers at Retro left for Armature Studios and 343 Games didn’t mean the studio was devoid of talent and now their going to prove that for the 6th, maybe 7th, time with Metroid Prime 4.

Moral of the story? Nintendo should have started out with Retro in the first place. Now I understand if Retro was busy with whatever project they have going on currently but I think Nintendo may have assumed what the game journalism circle has for years. Anyone who was good at making Prime games left Retro long ago, and that just ain’t true. Anyways, bit of a rant but it occurred to me just now how often I hear about Japan hating first person games and then it clicked why Prime 4 is where it is. Really hoping Retro’s other product wasn’t canceled and that we at least see it this year. Guess we’ll find out by E3.
Another moral of the story is Nintendo wouldn't be amiss to partner with or acquire a few more western studios with western strengths to just help diversify their portfolio. I love the zaniness of Japanese games, but wider coverage couldn't hurt, especially when tackling a western-styled game causes things to go up in flames.

And I say that knowing it's as unlikely as it ever was.

Even with them being closer to western publishers these days, it's still a shame that so many of their western developers seem to have fallen by the wayside.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wasn’t questioning the abilities of a country. Just the fact that FPS games aren’t a big deal over there while that genre has basically ruled t he industry over here. It was just an analysis. I wasn’t trying to be a ****.
To clarify, I wasn't calling you a ****. Just pointing out a major flaw in how you constructed your argument. I doubt you meant to say it with any ill will. It's just not a great argument.

Retro Studios hasn't worked on a FPS since 2009. That's nearly ten years. We don't know what exact amount of staff is still around that worked on Prime, but we do know that the men at the top responsible for directing the game's major aspects are no longer there. We don't know what amount of their staff has any experience with first-person perspective games since Retro hasn't needed to actively employ anyone with that sort of experience in a decade.

With that in mind, saying that Retro is inherently and obviously more equipped than Nintendo's new in-house team to make a FPS really does sound like... well, you know now.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though Nintendo has shown themselves to be capable of making good FPS games from Japanese studios (Splatoon), I'll admit that I'd be a little more worried with a Japanese studio handling a Metroid game than I would with one from NA.

Let's be honest, the Metroid series is something that appeals almost exclusively to the West. Time and time again, it's struggled to pick up a decent amount of support from Japan. They just aren't interested in it like we are. So with that being said, why wouldn't Nintendo want a NA studio to take charge of a project that's targeted primarily for NA audiences? Obviously a studio based in the country they're trying to appeal to would be more likely to know what the fans would expect out of a new Metroid game.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Another moral of the story is Nintendo wouldn't be amiss to partner with or acquire a few more western studios with western strengths to just help diversify their portfolio. I love the zaniness of Japanese games, but wider coverage couldn't hurt, especially when tackling a western-styled game causes things to go up in flames.

And I say that knowing it's as unlikely as it ever was.

Even with them being closer to western publishers these days, it's still a shame that so many of their western developers seem to have fallen by the wayside.
It's because Microsoft keeps buying them all up.

It's like Satya Nadella gave Phil Spencer his credit card to buy one studio, but forgot to ask for it back, and now Phil's trying to run as many transactions as he can before he notices.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's because Microsoft keeps buying them all up.

It's like Satya Nadella gave Phil Spencer his credit card to buy one studio, but forgot to ask for it back, and now Phil's trying to run as many transactions as he can before he notices.
At least none of them have made a new IP in like fifteen years, nothing much to poach on that end.

Yay...

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
To clarify, I wasn't calling you a ****. Just pointing out a major flaw in how you constructed your argument. I doubt you meant to say it with any ill will. It's just not a great argument.

Retro Studios hasn't worked on a FPS since 2009. That's nearly ten years. We don't know what exact amount of staff is still around that worked on Prime, but we do know that the men at the top responsible for directing the game's major aspects are no longer there. We don't know what amount of their staff has any experience with first-person perspective games since Retro hasn't needed to actively employ anyone with that sort of experience in a decade.

With that in mind, saying that Retro is inherently and obviously more equipped than Nintendo's new in-house team to make a FPS really does sound like... well, you know now.
My entire point of the post was, wouldn’t a studio full of employees that, speaking from statistics over the last couple of decades, grew up on the concept of an FPS be more equipped and prepared to tackle a first person game?

Countries aside if I grew up on 3D platformers, and you grew up on First Person Shooters who would be more prepared to make a 3D platformer and who would be more prepared to make a FPS? See what I mean? Because I know the structure of 3D platformers I grew up on I can take that inspiration and use it as a tool to help me in developing my own. I have nothing to draw on for an FPS so I’m at a loss. That doesn't necessarily mean I can't it just means it'll require a lot of trial and error and might not have the best standard like I would have for a 3D Platformer.

Anyways, I was just trying to point out a neat little cultural thing I might have noticed and it came back and kicked me in the face but what else is new.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well, that'd be German for "Hello!"
View attachment 192595
So today we learned that Toad is multi-lingual.
Don't you mean multi-fungual?
Carlos.jpg

This whole "they'll come with multiple music tracks" thing makes me think all Fighter's Pass characters will be from new series, tbh. Not like it's the proof of anything, though, just a feeling.
There's also what Reggie said about Joker when regarding the Fighter's Pass.
No, he did not say they're from new characters. We already have that established, but people still make that misconception.
However, he used Joker in his statement to imply that the other characters we don't know about share something in common with Joker aside from being generally new. For example, if you were to add Adenine in the roster, she would be a First-party character. She is new, yes, but that's about it. Her franchise has plenty of representation already, so comparing her to Joker's situation defeats the purpose of using Joker in Reggie's example at all.

On top of that, there is all the different music tracks these characters could possibly bring. Assuming each one comes with at least 5 and at max 8, it's hard to imagine a Gen 8 rep or a Three Houses rep being introduced this early when even their music is completely unfamiliar. If reps were added from those two games anyway, expect 1 or 2 tracks at the most. That's just a lousy way to advertise two games when there is potential for so much more in the future if they're so inclined later on. I think all reps in the Fighter's Pass are new enough to a degree that there is room to add more music from those respective franchises. That's what I believe, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom