• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
What is/are your biggest gaming faux pas(es?)?

One of mine.......I've never played Majora's Mask, yet I claim to be a huge Zelda fan.
I've never beaten any of the 2D Zeldas, despite claiming to be a huge Zelda fan. I almost all of them by now, and have played pretty far into several, but I've never actually beaten any of them. I just finished getting around to the 2D Metroid games, though, so Zelda's next on my list.

Let’s see...
I’ve played a lot of games but not a lot of some of the more “major” sounding series’ brought up in this thread a lot.

Metroid, DMC, RE, Doom, etc

I also tend to have an open minded opinion on things a lot of people are polarized on but, unfortunately for my image, I tend to look like a contrarian because some popular games happen to not be super appealing to me at the moment

Also I play Roblox
Not as many people have played Metroid as it may seem. The best-selling game in the series was Metroid Prime that sold a little over 2 million. Most of the other games are fortunate if they break 1 million sales. So don't feel bad about not playing it.

It's part of the reason why some people would craptalk the series when Metroid fans asked for new games back in 2016 or 2017. People would say the series doesn't sell well, so Nintendo shouldn't bother.

Though I think the Prime series would sell very well if given the right treatment and marketing on the Switch. Prime 2 and 3 came out on the GameCube, a not too popular console, and still sold respectably. Prime 3 was a hardcore game on the casual Wii, coming out a month before Halo 3, yet it still sold relatively well. Prime 4 on the Switch, getting the amount of attention and marketing as Nintendo's other flagship releases have gotten on the Switch, could probably be the best-selling game in the series, since now's the perfect time for it to make a comeback.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It can be tricky to give characters good motivations, and making them funny can also be a bit harrowing. But for some people it comes naturally. Comedy doesn't come to me very naturally, though I did manage some comedic moments in my script where appropriate.

Motivations aren't that hard, though. Good motivations might be difficult to work out, but any motivation is better than no motivation, which is what all the characters in his script had.

I'll have to clarify that my exhaustion and attitude regarding classmates' works is that I'm in my final semester of college, I've read dozens of people's short stories and scripts, and there's very little imagination in 8 or 9 out of 10 works. If I had a dollar for every story that involved alcohol, bars, clubs, parties, relationships, or angels/demons, I could buy a nice dinner for two. Yeah, I don't get the angels/demons thing either. I think it comes from people being inspired by Supernatural or generic young adult novels.

Last semester, the screenrwiting class I took had this one girl whose script was about a serial killer who had a devil on his shoulder (named Asmodeus; oddly, another girl completely independently also had a devil named Asmodeus in her script). This devil compelled him to kill young women to keep him out of hell. As someone who's also taken several theology classes, this kind of thing drives me nuts. What's worse, the story was basically that he manages to kidnap her, brutally torture and kill her (in graphic detail), and then... that's it. No meaning, no greater message about humanity, just terrible premise with an awful execution (pun intended). Which is funny, because stories without any meaning or message was exactly what my professor told us was bad in the beginning of the class, but that somehow slipped this girl's mind. You could tell my professor was trying to be kind and constructive to her script, despite previously talking mad **** about a horror movie he saw that had the same exact problem.

What made the situation even worse was that this girl would also be the first to chime in with criticisms on other people's scripts when it was their days. I don't think a compliment ever came out of her mouth. She'd tell people that she thought their characters were flat and stuff, despite her script being no less flat than theirs. There was one day in particular where there was one minute of class yet and we were wrapping up, but she raised her hand right before the professor dismissed us just to criticize the other student's work, and then she immediately packed her things and left. I'm just thankful she wasn't there the day my script was workshopped, because by then I was pretty fed up with her.

My creative writing classes were generally better. But the last two that I took were ones that you had to apply to get into, and only 15 people would be accepted, so it filtered out a lot of the people who wouldn't have been good contributors to the class. There were still some irksome scripts there, but everyone there were nice people and more serious about the literary craft in general, so I have a lot of respect for them. Problem is, I was writing silly alien sci-fi stories set in a series, while they were all tackling more self-contained genre fiction, which made me feel like a bit of a black sheep.

In this series writing class, at least, the first script we workshopped was for a sci-fi action series, just like mine. And a handful of students' scripts are for animated works, too. So I feel more at home in this class than I have in any other class I've taken, even if I scratch my head at some of their writing.
Criminy, you're helpful.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It can be tricky to give characters good motivations, and making them funny can also be a bit harrowing. But for some people it comes naturally. Comedy doesn't come to me very naturally, though I did manage some comedic moments in my script where appropriate.

Motivations aren't that hard, though. Good motivations might be difficult to work out, but any motivation is better than no motivation, which is what all the characters in his script had.

I'll have to clarify that my exhaustion and attitude regarding classmates' works is that I'm in my final semester of college, I've read dozens of people's short stories and scripts, and there's very little imagination in 8 or 9 out of 10 works. If I had a dollar for every story that involved alcohol, bars, clubs, parties, relationships, or angels/demons, I could buy a nice dinner for two. Yeah, I don't get the angels/demons thing either. I think it comes from people being inspired by Supernatural or generic young adult novels.

Last semester, the screenrwiting class I took had this one girl whose script was about a serial killer who had a devil on his shoulder (named Asmodeus; oddly, another girl completely independently also had a devil named Asmodeus in her script). This devil compelled him to kill young women to keep him out of hell. As someone who's also taken several theology classes, this kind of thing drives me nuts. What's worse, the story was basically that he manages to kidnap her, brutally torture and kill her (in graphic detail), and then... that's it. No meaning, no greater message about humanity, just terrible premise with an awful execution (pun intended). Which is funny, because stories without any meaning or message was exactly what my professor told us was bad in the beginning of the class, but that somehow slipped this girl's mind. You could tell my professor was trying to be kind and constructive to her script, despite previously talking mad **** about a horror movie he saw that had the same exact problem.

What made the situation even worse was that this girl would also be the first to chime in with criticisms on other people's scripts when it was their days. I don't think a compliment ever came out of her mouth. She'd tell people that she thought their characters were flat and stuff, despite her script being no less flat than theirs. There was one day in particular where there was one minute of class yet and we were wrapping up, but she raised her hand right before the professor dismissed us just to criticize the other student's work, and then she immediately packed her things and left. I'm just thankful she wasn't there the day my script was workshopped, because by then I was pretty fed up with her.

My creative writing classes were generally better. But the last two that I took were ones that you had to apply to get into, and only 15 people would be accepted, so it filtered out a lot of the people who wouldn't have been good contributors to the class. There were still some irksome scripts there, but everyone there were nice people and more serious about the literary craft in general, so I have a lot of respect for them. Problem is, I was writing silly alien sci-fi stories set in a series, while they were all tackling more self-contained genre fiction, which made me feel like a bit of a black sheep.

In this series writing class, at least, the first script we workshopped was for a sci-fi action series, just like mine. And a handful of students' scripts are for animated works, too. So I feel more at home in this class than I have in any other class I've taken, even if I scratch my head at some of their writing.
I've been workshopping a story for several years, part of the reason I haven't actually started writing anything for it beyond concepts is that I have no idea how to start it or what I want the greater meaning to be (beyond some basic in-universe mythology and philosophy). The other part is that I really like building concepts more than actually writing them. :laugh:

I actually have Angels and Demons in this universe I've been building, but they're just the names of two of the five races in the verse and are basically just normal humans with extra traits.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, I kinda blanked out for the past 15 or so minutes and I didn't mean to go this ham, probably my most heartfelt post over a goddamn character lmao.

Look. When you're out here fighting against the front lines, things about you change. Things change very... very drastically. You begin to lose sight of who you really are, what people you saw as friends, allies... or enemies. I was out here after the eighth day of March, willingly getting ready to breach all the support for my fellow salvager. Even that one black guy with the Guile haircut pushed for... Who we call around here, the "Scarlet Dandelion". Time is a fickle thing. It makes you more giddier, thinking you'll be ready for the moment of truth, when in actuality, that's never the case.

During those times in the trenches, with my tablet in hand, I still went on my adventure through the sea of clouds and titans. I fell in love with, what I previously misjudged and incorrectly stated as "terrible"... Seein' that boy's story gripped my heart, nuts and all with a ride like you've never seen before. I felt many emotions going through me during my time out here, fighting against the crafting blocks... flames from a muscular feline and the... theorists.

Every broadcast that the Japanese man in leopard had, with his purple and yellow chairs, I was rooting for others, don't get me wrong. But I was waiting for my boy to come home from the war, much like a wife does waiting for her husband to come back. As each month went on, when I finally completed the job of seeing my boy through his adventure, I could've never wanted to push for someone in my entire life. It felt like I was a supportive father watching my son at graduation.

But on that fateful day in November... It's where it all changed. We thought we won the war. But it was too late. The reports came back that our boy was dead. I was there alongside people of all races and colors -- even the man with the Guile haircut -- it felt like world peace, before the report came. Seeing the clothes being worn on that... thing.... Then, "friends" you thought were your friends turned on you when you needed it the most. They began to spit on the legacy he had and our efforts, thus, leading to this very moment. The war had ended, but we're all still reeling back from the war.

I'm a changed man, Hinata.

It ain't Scott here anymore... Just a hollow shell with a tiny spark of soul left, wondering if it's worth it or not.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Look. When you're out here fighting against the front lines, things about you change. Things change very... very drastically. You begin to lose sight of who you really are.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Who has two thumbs and accidentally took a five hour nap that will certainly **** with his sleep schedule for the next couple days?

This guy.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Who has two thumbs and accidentally took a five hour nap that will certainly **** with his sleep schedule for the next couple days?

This guy.
Just be like me and have a sleep schedule that's already ****ed. Simple.

KMDP

Smash Legend

This guy.
I don't generally take naps.

My sleep schedule is wonky enough as it is.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm gonna have to ask you to stop what you're doing and go buy Necrodancer right Heckin' now.

Already own it.

Haven't beaten it because Zone 4's a *****, but I own it.

osby

Smash Obsessed

This guy.
I think the last time I take a nap was in kindergarten.

But what you described happens all the time to my dad.

D

Deleted member

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
This echoes true for all rebellions who push their own icons, those of the bear race and the demons slayers, but at what point does it become self-depreciation of one's own sanity and values? Just to win? Gain respect among others? Yeah, I know that the rather buxom women my boy had dressed in red and yellow looked pretty funky, but couldn't it be said for other members who got accepted in the upper echelon?

We as a species need to stop judging one's looks, and instead, upon their character -- their values and try to build a bridge of communication. Because if we don't look at one another's side of view, we'll never reach peace within this world. That's what I hoped my "friends" did, before they spat on us after all the fighting we done in those lines. Ever since that day... I've not been the same. Those of the ponies corn, and of the enthusiasts of the crocodiles... They got what they want... Me? I'm still a lost, stranded man just looking for an answer.

KMDP... Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... And my arm... Even my fingers...
The body I've lost... The comrades I've lost... It won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there...

...shouting "aaaiiiyaaah"...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How are you guys not talking about Monolith making a Zelda game
I saw that on the Xenoblade Chronicles Reddit.

Care to explain more?

EDIT: Supposedly they helped work on Breath of the Wild, so it might be hinting at a larger project.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
R-E-S-K-M-D-P

FIND OUT WHAT IT MEANS TO ME!
Sock-it-to-me-sock-it-to-me-sock-it-to-me-sock-it-to-me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, might regret this, but...

Noipoi Noipoi , I heard you like Red Heads.

Well, I just drew and coloured one of my many, many, many, many OCs, who happens to be the reddest of heads.
MunekoFace.JPG

All you guys are getting is an isolated head-shot, because of reasons.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Noipoi

Howdy!
How are you guys not talking about Monolith making a Zelda game
That sounds rad, maybe it's the next big one?

Sock-it-to-me-sock-it-to-me-sock-it-to-me-sock-it-to-me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, might regret this, but...

Noipoi Noipoi , I heard you like Red Heads.

Well, I just drew and coloured one of my many, many, many, many OCs, who happens to be the reddest of heads.
View attachment 201967
All you guys are getting is an isolated head-shot, because of reasons.
Noice.

Noice.

Noice.

I had to say it three times, to get the point across.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I saw that on the Xenoblade Chronicles Reddit.

Care to explain more?

EDIT: Supposedly they helped work on Breath of the Wild, so it might be hinting at a larger project.
Monolith is hiring people for the next Zelda game.

On the subject. I love how BotW is and how Monolith helped them. With that said, I really hope they don't uses their more.... anime artist and keep Zelda a action game instead of a Zelda skinned Xenoblade RPG. I like both but for different reasons.

D

Deleted member

I was originally going for the "Broken Blazkowicz" route but now I just went full on Punished Snake, so I guess consider this a mixture of both, if you wanna fit this in the SmashBoards lore.

You can let loose around me, bro.
I did twice I think, I don't know where to go with this now, lmao.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What is/are your biggest gaming faux pas(es?)?

One of mine.......I've never played Majora's Mask, yet I claim to be a huge Zelda fan.
For being such a big Metal Gear Solid fan I've never really even played the original Metal Gear Solid. Only The Twin Snakes. Which I've completed multiple times.

Haven't finished Fates Birthright despite being a huge Fire Emblem fan.

For being as big of a Zelda fan as I am I really couldn't care less if we ever got another Zelda character in Smash. And I don't know why.

Never even tried any Spyro games past 3. Never even tried any Crash Games past Wrath of Cortex and never played Crash Team Racing.

For being such a fan of Banjo-Kazooie I've never actually 100% Tooie.

I'm sure there's more.

Edit: Shame on you for not playing Majora's Mask though. That's tied for my favorite game of all time with MGS4.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
That sounds rad, maybe it's the next big one?

Noice.

Noice.

Noice.

I had to say it three times, to get the point across.
:cheep:

So is that a Noice Noice, a :denzel: Noice or a :yeahboi: Noice?
Sure. Reasons.
I mentioned my old forum habits a few hours ago. This is a character I made during that "old forum habit" time. Do the math.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom