• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Who the hell is on wifi?? I couldn't even move half the time, it was just freezing and then I was off the stage lol

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Honestly, with how they designed Joker, he's probably better off in the Doubles format where a team can exploit the Rebel's Guard with friendly fire. A friend of mine and I would do something similar with Mega Man/Kirby where I'd crash bomb him or someone from the other team, and he'd do the up grab for an instant kamikaze. Shenanigans like that.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
interesting developments on the jane front, courtesy of the folks in the joker thread:

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
at least joker's rebel's guard doesnt encourage you to run away like cloud's limit charge dows

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's right, panda...
danganropna nagito do not lose hope.jpg

Honestly, with how they designed Joker, he's probably better off in the Doubles format where a team can exploit the Rebel's Guard with friendly fire. A friend of mine and I would do something similar with Mega Man/Kirby where I'd crash bomb him or someone from the other team, and he'd do the up grab for an instant kamikaze. Shenanigans like that.
Yeah, but it'd have to be someone who could deal a LOT of damage in one hit, due to rebel's guard calculating damage and not knockback. Like hypothetically Ganondorf could charge rebel in one fsmash, but you'd be playing ganondorf.

at least joker's rebel's guard doesnt encourage you to run away like cloud's limit charge dows
Eh, I'd say that would've been true for Smash 4 Limit, but adding that timer to Cloud before expiration, I see a lot of Clouds hardly ever charge anymore unless it's between stocks.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
interesting developments on the jane front, courtesy of the folks in the joker thread:
Lit can we find out the second character now I'm so ****ing tired I'm so tired

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I guess there really are no brakes on the Jane train.:114:

But for real though, I wonder if they have plans for "Jane." Wouldn't it be wild if, after all this, she's actually an echo fighter for Joker?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
ok rant time

A personal problem I have with modern superhero comics/films is that these are characters formed in an era from the 40s - 60s. While that alone isn't a problem, a lot of things can be outdated. Again, not a problem, but some are these are permanent aspects that can't be undone. Like, y'know, their names.

If you can name me one person you know who's genuinely named **** in the modern world is the only person who could sympathize with Robin for somehow not having his name legally changed in an almost 2020 world when back in the 40s it was just Richard how do you get **** from richard

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I swear if this is some crazy Sakuruse I'm going to be so shocked.

However, until proven otherwise I'm going to keep assuming my cynical, jaded, and defeatist attitude of
It's not that deep.jpg

And nothing will come of it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ngl, that make me quit happy for Noipoi Noipoi and Gentlepanda Gentlepanda .

The dream is not dead yet!

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I guess there really are no brakes on the Jane train.:114:

But for real though, I wonder if they have plans for "Jane." Wouldn't it be wild if, after all this, she's actually an echo fighter for Joker?
after the tidbit that her model was basically done, i'm pretty firmly on board the 'she's still to come' train - all i need now is a confirmation (or deconfirmation) from PSL that she's actually a protagonist and not a side character

given that joker is a licensed third party character, it'd have to require some pretty serious **** going down between nintendo and atlus to suddenly make sakurai's team throw out the entire finished model

D

Deleted member

If this whole "Jane" thing is true, what does this mean? We all know Jane is not a Joker alt, nor even a character.
What could she be?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If this whole "Jane" thing is true, what does this mean? We all know Jane is not a Joker alt, nor even a character.
What could she be?
If "Jane" exists, she's probably an upgraded alt costume turned echo ala Lucina/Dark Pit/Dr. Mario.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What could she be?
a future echo to promote the royal whenever atlus decides to start marketing it overseas, most likely

it's important to remember (as Idon Idon just ninja'd me above with) that characters like melee dr. mario and the smash 4 clone trio started life as development as skins before being split off close to the end, both for practical reasons (it's easier to develop) and personal reasons (sakurai wanting to jazz them up a bit)

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
See, that's the thing.
I don't think Rebel's Guard is a representation of Joker's gameplay within Persona. If it was, it'd probably be something more akin to using magic charge or whatever.

I think it's more representative of the story themes in Persona 5, where you're supposed to be an underdog who endures the beatdown, grows stronger for it, and then retaliates using your newfound strength. At least that's what I think Sakurai was going with Joker's moveset.

Of course, story themes and gameplay themes are sometimes... don't mesh as well together as they should.
Yeah, I feel like Rebels guard is based on the awakenings in Persona 5, where a party member gets into a tough situation, and the only way to get out of that situation (Sometimes getting the stuff kick out of you like Joker did) is to get stronger with a contract that makes them have a person by removing their respective mask. I think that’s what the Arsene mechanic is based on.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
a future echo to promote the royal whenever atlus decides to start marketing it overseas, most likely

it's important to remember (as Idon Idon just ninja'd me above with) that characters like melee dr. mario and the smash 4 clone trio started life as development as skins before being split off close to the end, both for practical reasons (it's easier to develop) and personal reasons (sakurai wanting to jazz them up a bit)
Why would an Echo's physical modeling be in the one they are based off of's folder? Any precedent for this?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Why would an Echo's physical modeling be in the one they are based off of's folder? Any precedent for this?
the 'jane' model was found in the middle of joker's development back in february (when we also knew joker's model was finalised through the direct) - she was an alt skin then, so her model was also bundled in with him. it's only a theory based off the development of previous smash game clones like 4's dr. mario / dark pit / lucina that she's potentially become an echo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You ask nicely
Ok

Another addition to the list: Captain Marvel

Seriously? Carol? There are approximately 0 people born within the past decade named Carol, I bet. And if they were, they'd be dressing like ReportOfTheWeek and wearing whatever 1950s flower dresses are at Goodwill.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
the 'jane' model was found in the middle of joker's development back in february (when we also knew joker's model was finalised through the direct) - she was an alt skin then, so her model was also bundled in with him. it's only a theory based off the development of previous smash game clones like 4's dr. mario / dark pit / lucina that she's potentially become an echo.
Interesting.

I don't see it, I mean, wouldn't it be better to just hold off on Joker's release for a few weeks in order to include Jane as an Echo?

But hey. The details are very odd and unprecedented.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
4 years of dev time could've allowed much more Echoes, especially considering how easy they seem to be to make. But hey I'm no game dev.
I'm gonna guess porting 90% of the stages back and working on Everyone is Here took up the lion's share of the resources and echoes were just what were left over.

D

Deleted member

Man... are you just repeating things I said?
No.
echo fighters were half of ultimate's marketing gimmick

it's not that deep
Here is the thing, I have no clue what the second pass is going to be, but I doubt they would just dedicate one to echo-fighters.
A move-set is a big way of portraying a character, and considering Ultimate is now stepping it up a notch with DLC, I doubt we are getting an echo-fighter second pass, but I believe we are getting a second pass.

Jane could mean anything though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If "Jane" really is an Echo Fighter I would actually like that but not in the way one may think, I honestly do not care all that much about "Jane" in and of itself but considering that if she is an Echo Fighter that proves that if Sakurai wanted to she could easily make Characters outside of the FP be it Echo or Brand New Characters.

Someone may think that Jane may be apart of the FP itself but that's incorrect, Sakurai specifically stated that there will be no Echoes in the fighters pass meaning it would have to be released outside of it which in turns proves that we could get more Characters outside of the FP if Sakurai chooses to do so.

So yeah bring on "Jane"!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm gonna guess porting 90% of the stages back and working on Everyone is Here took up the lion's share of the resources and echoes were just what were left over.
With how heavily Echoes were marketed, I'm not really sure honestly. But again what do I know?
Just, hm...looking at Daisy proves they don't even need gameplay or balancing differences, just aesthetic and model things. Easy enough, especially with the resources they got. But hey.

Noipoi

Howdy!
ok rant time

A personal problem I have with modern superhero comics/films is that these are characters formed in an era from the 40s - 60s. While that alone isn't a problem, a lot of things can be outdated. Again, not a problem, but some are these are permanent aspects that can't be undone. Like, y'know, their names.

If you can name me one person you know who's genuinely named **** in the modern world is the only person who could sympathize with Robin for somehow not having his name legally changed in an almost 2020 world when back in the 40s it was just Richard how do you get **** from richard
Ok but serious answer, people back in the day liked rhyming.

So Richard to Rick to ****, because **** rhymes with Rick.

It's the same with Robert, to Rob, to Bob.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
after the tidbit that her model was basically done, i'm pretty firmly on board the 'she's still to come' train - all i need now is a confirmation (or deconfirmation) from PSL that she's actually a protagonist and not a side character

given that joker is a licensed third party character, it'd have to require some pretty serious **** going down between nintendo and atlus to suddenly make sakurai's team throw out the entire finished model
The remnants of the Jane Train rising from the grave for another week, 4/19/2019
hahahascend.jpg

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Jane? A Joker echo?

It's more likely than you think.

apparently

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Nice playing the arena, whoever was there lol. Too laggy though, but I'm down to play again! (But everyone should really invest in the LAN adapter)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With how heavily Echoes were marketed, I'm not really sure honestly. But again what do I know?
Just, hm...looking at Daisy proves they don't even need gameplay or balancing differences, just aesthetic and model things. Easy enough, especially with the resources they got. But hey.
I think the "heavily marketed" is a bit overblown. Really all it was was "Hey, we have a name for them now."
The most attention an echo got was Ken, and he's the least echoey of the echoes.

Nice playing the arena, whoever was there lol. Too laggy though, but I'm down to play again! (But everyone should really invest in the LAN adapter)
Don't bother.
I've been asking them for that for months. ****'s a lost cause within the smash community.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
No.

Here is the thing, I have no clue what the second pass is going to be, but I doubt they would just dedicate one to echo-fighters.
A move-set is a big way of portraying a character, and considering Ultimate is now stepping it up a notch with DLC, I doubt we are getting an echo-fighter second pass, but I believe we are getting a second pass.

Jane could mean anything though.
echoes of fighters pass characters can still be included in the 'first' fighter's pass (i.e. jane as a future bonus given retroactively to joker owners) - hell, if they really do decide to add new echoes through free updates, then we could see more recent characters like octolings get a second chance

Someone may think that Jane may be apart of the FP itself but that's incorrect, Sakurai specifically stated that there will be no Echoes in the fighters pass meaning it would have to be released outside of it which in turns proves that we could get more Characters outside of the FP if Sakurai chooses to do so.

So yeah bring on "Jane"!
he stated that none of the five core fighters were echoes (i.e. 'no, you're not just paying for 5 echoes of mario and pit'), but didn't exclude the possibility of fighters within it getting echoes, like how simon was added at the same time as richter - we could easily see a luminary echo fighter of erdrick, for example

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

LAN adapter...
I am considering buying this, especially when I like to be far from the internet router in my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom