• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UK summer tournament thread?!

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
There seems to be a desire amongst UK players to go to a european tournament this summer. I've spoken to a bunch and they all seem well up for it!

Im really thinking of going for the holiday, to be honest- I doubt I'll be playing much smash at all and I suspect its the same for a lot of others. It's been a while since I've seen everyone and it sounds like general good times.

So Im making this thread to see:

what sort of interest there is?

Seems to be quite a lot. Post if you're interested!

which tournaments (if any) are being planned?

I know Helios wants to hold a couple tournaments. Also Spain are thinking of something? and Germany ? :confused:

where people want to go to?

Spain/Paris/Germany :D

Also I know theres a couple tournaments around Easter that people are interested in. I won't be able to make those but this may be a good thread to discuss them in

I also realise the summer is quite a while away. HAHA!
if this gets closed... then lol

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
First! lol

I'm definitely interested in going somewhere. Is this just about summer tournaments, or can we include easter things? I'm gonna talk about easter regardless of what you answer, I'm just being nice :p Coz at easter there's some interest in Berlin going down.

As for Summer, assuming I haven't spent all my money I'd be up for going to another. Sweden sounds like it would be pretty cool, although I'm not overly fussy about where.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Haha! Yeah definitely talk about easter. Im looking forward to the chocolate.

Sweden is real nice in the summer! I've been like 4 times for smash by now though. Im thinking somewhere else, think lads like Ed, Ryan and Jam are thinking on similar lines. But I'd recommend it, and Helios will make a really good host if he does go through with it :suess:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I am interested.

Don't do april 2nd-4th though unless you want to go to berlin since two tournaments are on that day

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
me and duncan are gonna properly look at going to berlin on friday so I'll get back to you, but yeah, would def be up for something in the summer

Tamoo

Smash Master
You def should Ben! Amazing experience.

And yeah, about Berlin, if we leave on the thursday, and come back on the tuesday, it shouldn't be too expensive, taking 4 days off kills me though lol but i'd be willing.

And yeah, would absolutely love to go to sweden in the summer, hopefully helios gets something up but I'm looking into going to every tournament in Europe this summer

Kone

Smash Master
I always make a considerable effort to make a european tournament each year. Last year we made Holland and it was a really good experience. I am very much with Z in terms of it being as a holiday and for the enjoyment of being away with mates I don't see often.

As such we should definetly co-ordinate a large British turnout to one tournament. Lyon nearly had it next year but fell short with five of us ending up at the dutch one instead. When tournaments come up we should ensure we aim for one especially.

For those that have been rumoured so far I don't have any interest in another swedish affair. I have been to four so far and although there has been some good times they have fell short compared to other european excursions. I am not swaying people against Sweden as I have been many times. ..there are a lot of other reasons;

* Helios runs poor tournaments. The hype is large and the organisation poor. Many have started brackts matches after 12pm at night. Helios usually throws a wobbler at some point in which he is 'ill/dehydrated' putting the tournament flow on hold.
*Getting to any Helios ran tournament is an absolute pain. You have to fly in with Ryanair to an airport that is nearly thre hours from Gothenburg. When in Gothenburg you then have to connect via train or bus to some smaller town (or if anyone made ROS a football clubhouse in the middle of no where).
*What makes all this worse is that Sweden is like the 7th most expensive country in the world. A pint of beer is over £5. This means the buying of food, drink and public transport tickets really adds a lot to your overall budget.
*Though Sweden is a pretty place (I would go once for just a trip outside of smash) it isn't an entertaining place. Combine how expensive it is with remote venues and general lack of nightlife in any Swedish town there isn't much to do holiday wise. Although drinking isn't for everyone most off licenses close at 2pm and you can't get into a bar without ID.
* Swedish tournaments are made up largely by scandinivians. In my personal opinion they have the WORST crack of any european region. The dutch and french community are especially cool. Swedens....is not.

As such I say we make another destination. If super lion is soon and ESA is normally before the summer then I doubt France will run anything large. Sounds like the Dutch are having problems finding a suitable venue (they promote and don't run a large european tournament every summer). Hopefully the Germans or Spanish run something. In my opinion these would be the best bet. Both communities are up and coming, Britain has never been to either and they are both excellent/entertaining countries. Hell, we go to Spain and we will get a sunny holiday ^_^

If we go anywhere in Europe Ill drive and will offer to the lads that went to holland then anyone if they don't take space. If it is Barcelona (like the spanish guy said it would be) then i got a caravan 30 mins away on a beach town we can use LOL.

Ed :)

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
omg by that time I'll be 21 and legally old enough to rent a car! Epic road trip time!

Though that would actually be stupidly expensive and waaaaaay further than I've ever driven before, so maybe it's not such a great idea. Would be amazing though...

Having briefly looked at a car hire website, it might not actually be that bad if there was a full load of us. This is perhaps something to bare in mind.

Kone

Smash Master
Renting a car is generally pretty expensice to be honest. Especially when they factor your age in and put the cost up for insurance purposes. On top of that you got petrol + ferry + if you drive through france the cost of road charges. Its doable but I think you would be looking at a £100 each so would depend on how much flights are in comparison. Although if its just for the experience then I would go for it cos road trips are awesome.

I just don't thing Sweden is the best choice (if we have a choice). I would go if there wasn't another. Yes, pints are a fiver if not more. Alcohol is taxed in Sweden (depressing winters + drinking caused a lot of suicides and crime). It is also more expensive than the UK in general (which is shocking). It doesn't use the Euro it is the Kroner.

Joe your seat is already booked. Charles..you would have to wait im afraid :( others infront in the queue.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Yeah agreed Ed, Sweden isn't going to be up to much, not feeling like going again. Though in Helios' defence I don't see him screwing this one up lol for various reasons but mainly cause he's studying event management now haha!

Might as well just rule out Sweden (for SDB holiday times).

How many is your car holding? Probably not a big deal like, me Ryan and co. can just fly. We are quite fly.

grayfox

Smash Champion
FOR THE BANTER?!?!?!?!

Also, the only thing I've got against another trip to Sweden is that I've been a few times and I'd like to see somewhere else and new fannies as well. Hope you new lads who've never been there don't get put off by us jaded old dogs, its a pretty cool place.

Kone

Smash Master
I agree with both Z and Ryan lol. No more Sweden but don't be put of making it someday lol. Anyway, my car holds five but I could easily get my dad's people carrier which is a seven seater. The only issue with that is everyone would have to give me a fiver extra towards the trip to pay for me to be insured on it for a week. Other than that it'd be easy peasey. Also, it has a roof rack so we wouldn't be so squished. Holland road trip crew + z + ryan? :D

I vote for spain but reckon it won't happen. If not Im sure there'll be something else that we can drive to.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
so ive seen UK people posting in the lyon and berlin thread... Is anyone actually going to these things for sure, apart from fuzz?

Tamoo

Smash Master
I'm still not sure atm, I think I may pluck up the money for Berlin even though its gonna cost quite a bit, the extra like 40 i would save going a day early or late I can make more than going to work and not taking the day off so may just go on fri morning come back monday, although costly, it's smash :)

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Yeah Spain is my vote too. Even if the turnout for the actual tournament is poor I'd love to go there.

Tamoo have you been out of the UK before?

Kone

Smash Master
I really hope they get a Spanish tournament sorted. Most players there are in Madrid or Barcelona. Both are awesome cities :D.

monty06

Smash Ace
im also interested in this i had work issues last time time and i couldnt go i think it was ros 4 i dunno. but from what u guys said id go anywere but sweden

Top Bottom