• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I stumbled on a nest of good melee smashers! We've played them on and off at various tourneys. I'm gonna try to get them to come to smashing illini meetings.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody experimented with the All-Brawl ruleset? It's essential all items on, all stages on random (except customs). 2 stocks in 3 min, best 3/5. Counter picks are either:
1) Loser picks stage and keeps character
2) Loser picks a new character and the stage is the same
The winner cannot change at all. Item spawns are set to normal.

I'm kinda curious as to how this plays out since the Melee style ruleset is incredibly boring for brawl, IMO. I know the idea of items on is scary, but with 3 min. matches there aren't that many items being spawned on medium spawn. This could be a good ruleset to start with until the metagame shakes out. The counter pick system is because it was thought up by 2D fighter players on srk. In the melee system, you can't actually counterpick a stage reliably because the winner can just pick a new character, so all you can do is counterpick character. In this system, you can reliably counterpick stage or character. I'm not suggesting this for melee in the least, but it seems like an interesting idea for brawl.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Jon--that was the standard Melee ruleset when I first started going to tournaments, in 2003--except that the stock was higher. There are many good reasons for which it fell out of favor. Who decided to bring it back, I wonder?

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Jon--that was the standard Melee ruleset when I first started going to tournaments, in 2003--except that the stock was higher. There are many good reasons for which it fell out of favor. Who decided to bring it back, I wonder?
Well, isn't that the point? Brawl is a new game. I think that melee's ruleset just uprooted and planted in Brawl doesn't work and so going back to the beginning and seeing how things shake out is the best course of action.

And Keits is the main proponent. He has a ton of matches up on his youtube account, Rockeits.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'm not sure if there's a huge difference between using advanced slobs (loser picks stage, winner picks char, loser picks char) and regular slobs, so I'm not sure if I could argue one way or the other--although I have no idea what it is about Brawl that would make the old way better than or even comparable to the new way. The basic way the game works is still very much the same, isn't it?

But having all the stages and items on is monstrous. Mario Bros? 75m? And we thought Temple was bad! And although some of the items may be acceptable (I believe people have developed a recommended list?), what about the curry or the cracker launcher?

I wonder why you don't think the Melee ruleset doesn't work. If you just plain old don't like Brawl, well, even though I think it's a lot of fun I can't say I blame you. There are a lot of crappy things about Brawl.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Dave is in town too today. We're looking for melee. I think we might need two setups at that Brawl tournament with how many people seem to be coming

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I just get bored with the current system. Also I'm curious as to how the rules would shape up over time, even if they did just come back to the melee ruleset. I'm not a huge hater of Brawl as it currently is, I'm just trying to think of something different.

Yeah, there are a few horrible stages like 75m, and they would probably be the first to get bans. Maybe the same with items like cracker launcher. The item system is set up such that you really can't count on any item being there, e.g., you can go a ton of games before ever seeing a smashball. Then again that argument doesn't really apply when it actually spawns.

Anyway, I can't make it to the tournament today so have fun guys.

Edit after Henrik's post:

I might be free later today, might not. How long are you guys gonna be playing?

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I have something important to do at 6:00, and I'm going straight there from the tourney, so I can't bring my setup. FTL, I don't need a ride either.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
But having all the stages and items on is monstrous. Mario Bros? 75m? And we thought Temple was bad! And although some of the items may be acceptable (I believe people have developed a recommended list?), what about the curry or the cracker launcher?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675 and http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3990103&postcount=2 are the ISP people's item lists and ruleset modifications, if anyone's curious. Seems interesting, though not really something I particularly feel like trying right now, I'm having quite enough fun with the standard ruleset for Brawl.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
is anyone here able to bring their tv? im not sure this halo guy will like us using their tv's for melee, we may need to take him out...ill bring a cube/game though

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
that's ok

i got to zero to death tom a few times
and did decent against his cfalc in melee

i shoulda went bowser and just over b the whole time

TheStig

Smash Lord
i have the following matches on my computer:

Andy vs Randy
Durand vs Diddy?
Sean vs Lucus?
Dustin vs Caleb
Durand vs Max
Andy vs Peach?
Andy vs TL?
Matt vs Tim
Dustin vs Falco?
Dustin vs Marth?
BC/Alex vs Ceph/Beta

and more if you played on the 2nd tv to the left. let me know which ones you want uploaded

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I don't think any of those with me are particularly good. It's up to you whether you want to do any of 'em.

It's too bad the setup wasn't on the TV to the left. That one had all the good matches. Maybe we should plan that a little better next time?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too interested in seeing my match, it wasn't all that exciting and I already know what I need to work on, don't need to see it again to know...

slomo431

Smash Ace
Melee at the brawl tournament was awesome. I kept losing to some scrub Sheik and then demolished Matt's Falco on Final. Demolished.

Mark my words, twins, I will find a way to sweetspot on Mute City. Edges or no edges.

Top Bottom