• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here's the announcement for the tournament. Everyone think its okay? I removed some of the complexities. (stage striking, picking first stage)

Attention brawlers!

Smashing Illini is hosting an unofficial Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament on Saturday, October 18, in the Weston Hall lounge, at 1:00 PM. Whether you've been with the club for a while, or are totally new to the game, all are invited and are encouraged to bring their friends along for the ride. Since this is a friendly event, there are no entry fees, and only gloating rights for the winners.

This is first and foremost a doubles tournament, so we recommend you find a partner before the tournament. Loners will be matched up together at the event, so don't worry if you can't find anyone. A singles tournament may take place after the doubles tournament concludes, depending on time and player interest.

We will be using the SBR certified ruleset. That means:
3 stock. 8 minute time limit. No items. Life stealing allowed. Team attack ON. Matches best of 3, finals best of 5.

The first match will be randomized from Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, and Yoshi's island. The loser of the first match will "counterpick" the next stage, then the winner will choose character, followed by the loser choosing character. The full list of counterpick stages is posted at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5097738#post5097738
Stages under "Starter", "Starter/Counter", and "Counter" will be available for counterpicks.

We recommend that each contestant bring his or her own controller.

While tournaments are usually intended to compete and compare skill levels, our primary concern is providing a good time for everyone. So come on out, bring your friends, and have some fun!

ftl

Smash Journeyman
...wasn't there already going to be a tournament on the 18th in the basement of the union, partnering with the halo people or something like that? I remember reading a that a while back in this thread... or is that what this is going to be, just moved.

Ah well, I'll let you guys figure out logistical details :)

So anyone here still need a partner, then? Or I'll find someone next Saturday, I guess.

I don't like teams with people I don't know, it's always frustrating if I end up teamed with someone significantly better or worse than me :(

[edit] Beaten to the comment by brickman. Sweet, so I did remember and wasn't just making **** up. [/edit]

brickman

Smash Lord
no, mike is wrong, the tournament in the union is still on.

Joey Levin should be running it, but you guys need to be there to make sure things run smoothly. Also, may require someone throwing down a couple of bucks for gift cards or something like that to game stop. You wont get reimbursed immediately, but neither have I, and I spent $140 on Quad Day.

Dedicated members pool some cash together for tournament prizes please?

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
i haveny played melee since brawl's release. brrawl is too sexy.
also kirby, sheik, fox and zamus combo.
in regards to this saturday's tournament, is it brawl or melee? and did i miss the signup if there was one?

brickman

Smash Lord
in regards to this saturday's tournament, is it brawl or melee? and did i miss the signup if there was one?
It's brawl, so don't worry about it :)

Andy, stop being such a miser and help out the group, stop raining on my parade, it's got enough problems already.

Just chip in, please! We need to make sure things keep going smooth. Keep in mind, you are probably the least in debt out of all of us. I know Durand and Jon, and myself how all thrown down substantial cash, so please help out.

Just a bit, a couple of dollars, nothing staggering, just enough to make it worth it for people to show up.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Alright, I'll donate a small amount of money. To whom should I give the money? Matt?

brickman

Smash Lord
Matthew, would you be fine with accepting money for the purchase of gift cards?

You should probably talk to all of the other cool kids in the group, and find out if they would be able to put some money in.

Talk to joey, durand, and all of those other kids to:

1. make sure the tournament is on
2. that we can collect cash
3. that we will have a decent attendance
4. that we get enough money together for a 1st and 2nd prize.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I'll put some money down for prizes, but I'll have to get it to you the 16th at the earliest. I'm gonna be in Champaign 16th-19th, so I'll show up at the tourney and play Melee in my car. I may venture out and play a few brawl rounds but only if I open up one of my copies and give it another go. I'm out of practice.

My fox sweetspots because I took his up b from Brawl. He shines Tom because the knee is the devil.

Andy and Matt, good job today. How'd I do? Oh and Matt you forgot your hydrant. Maybe we can make it a prize.

And this Brawl tournament needs more trophies.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
henrik you did much better than i would have done.....the hydrant would be a great prize

and first place......a foam fire hydrant!!1

anyways, I am accepting all money, i can buy gift cards, or can anyone think of something better to get? do we have enough time to order trophies/medals online?

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
So, can I get specifics for this saturday's tournament plz? ^_^

Is it at the union? 7:30, or in the early afternoon?

Never got the original email...

slomo431

Smash Ace
It wasn't cheating. It was an alliance. Like on Survivor. Everyone knows smash and survivor are like the same thing.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Wait, this saturday? I thought it was on the 18th...

...whenever it is, an email should probably go out a day or two before it...

brickman

Smash Lord
it is on the 18th. no worries.

As far as prizes, I'm always for silly *** trophies, they are the best.

Although I think we should still do a gift card of sorts.

I'll find out the specific details for the 18th tournament and get them to everyone.

On another note:

Is Ken still in the running for Survivor?

That is the best thing ever, but I still refuse to watch it. Although, I assume he is making over 1000 smash references that would be endlessly hilarious.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Doubles eh? Dustin, are you coming? Let's team.

Henrik, you did fine. I talked to a few people with my fly open... hope they didn't notice!

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
haha, i always check my fly like 10 times before I even leave my house

anyways everyone should come this saturday to weston in order to give me money for the group fee and for buying shirts

brickman

Smash Lord
anyways everyone should come this saturday to weston in order to give me money for the group fee and for buying shirts
Agreed. I will send out a mass email, make sure people at least come to pay dues. I'm going to say dues are due by Saturday 18th.

Sound good?

Matt, do you want me to give out your contact information so people can get money to you?

Make sure you keep mega specific information of people who pay. Name, address, email, phone, if they have wii/ tv. all of that good stuff.

Top Bottom