• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UBC-Overture 3-Vancouver, BC-Nov 7th 2009:Melee, Brawl, Street Fighter 4

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Overture - Vancouver, BC - Nov 7th 2009 - 11/07/09
UBC Competitive Video Gaming Association presents...

Overture '09 - Continuity - SSBB + SSBM + SF4 + Tournament

* Chemical and Biological Engineering Building Room 102

Timeline:
* 10:30 am to 11:30 am - CVGA Execs setup
* 11:30 am to 12:00 pm - Break and Casuals; Brawl Singles Registration; Brawl Doubles Registration; SFIV teams
* 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm - SFIV 3v3 tournament; Brawl doubles Tournament
* 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm - SFIV singles tournament; Brawl Singles Tournament
* 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm - Break and Casuals; Doubles Registration
* 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm - Melee Doubles Tournament
* 6:30 pm to 7:00pm - Melee Singles Registration
* 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm - Melee Singles Tournament

*tentatively at 9:30pm we may have a short N64 tournament, or wherever i can fit one in.

These times are yet to be confirmed but the room has been booked.

* Cover Fee: (venue fee) clarification

1. $15 for people that show up at the door and are not members (eg. not confirmed on my list, this wasn't up before because this wouldn't really apply to anyone who can see it unless your stupid :D)
2. $10 at the door for members not confirmed on the list / non-members that are confirmed on the list
3. $5 for pre-registered members

* Singles Fee - $15 per person
* Doubles Fee - $20 per team

Division of the Pot:
UPDATED
Tournaments with 2-4 contestants: (max 4-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 100%

Tournaments with 5-16 contestants: (max 16-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 70%
* 2nd Place - 30%

Tournaments with 17-32 contestants: (max 32-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 60%
* 2nd Place - 30%
* 3rd Place - 10%

Tournaments with 33-64 contestants: (max 64-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 50%
* 2nd Place - 25%
* 3rd Place - 15%
* 4th Place - 10%

Tournaments with 65-128 contestants: (max 128-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 45%
* 2nd Place - 20%
* 3rd Place - 15%
* 4th Place - 10%
* 5th Place x2 - 5%

Rules and Format:

SSBM Singles
Bracket: Double elimination + round robin (1 round of pools; number of games per set will be set accordingly) for seeding
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if both players agree
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBM Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination (may be seeded by round robin)
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Fountain of Dreams (due to lag), Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Team attack: ON
Life-stealing allowed
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if all players agree.
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBB Singles
Bracket: Double elimination (possibly seeded by pools)
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island
Counterpick stages: Lylat Cruise, Delphino Plaza, Castle Siege, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens*, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium 1
Banned stages: everything else (unless both players agree to play on a banned stage)
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick
* may be banned

SSBB Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Stages: see SSBB singles
Team attack: ON
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

Yea i totally just copy and pasted someone :p

Contact information:
brianchan89@hotmail.com
604-961-3873

Notes:
* Our Second SSBB tournament; however, we're used to running various fighting-game tournaments. This tournament we will be trying to incorporate a melee tournament as well since there is a lot of demand for this
* There will be approximately 8 setups (mixed wii's/Cubes). Recording setups may or not be present (if you have any experience with recording please contact us)
* To emphasize we want more than JUST 4 setups for each tournament. Bring a set up if you can!
* As per SBR rules, players are responsible for their own controllers.

Players Attending:
1)TwilightShadow
2)~Firefly~
3)Meta
4)Tahsis
5)Blunted_Object10
6)Lib3rt3
7)Pacman9269
8)Kostinator
9)Medical Miracle
10)AsaDelta
- First 10 -
11)Jordan
12)ZZZZ
13)4Twenty
14)Vsin
15)Sion
16)RustedFencePost
17)Broken_Hitbox
18)Fazha
19)Seedless Grape
20)jordexciu
- 11-20 -
21)MisfireJ
22)ZZZZ
23)Zm4rf
24)Dieslow
25)Diakonos
26)NoobKing
27)Patooty
28)Cowear
29)Hitsugaya
- pre-registration cutoff -
30) Joker692
31) Merjey
32) Maths
33) Hughmungus-fungus
34) SuperTramp

Equipment:

CVGA: 6 TV's + 4 Wii's, 2 Cubes, 1 360, 3 copies Brawl, 2 copies Melee
TwilightShadow: 1 copy melee, 1 copy Street Fighter 4

Street Fighter IV Tournament: (if it happens)

1. Rules: (Not at all official i just made em up)
2. Double elimination
3. each match will be to best of 3 rounds and each set will be best of 3 matches. Winners finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals will all be best of 3 rounds per match and best of 5 matches per set
4. Winner of previous match must not change their character, (e.g Ryu vs Ken if Ryu wins the first best of 3 he must stay as Ryu)
5. If a player pauses during a round, he will lose that round (not the match)

Rules are open to suggestions but please give a reason why.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
need confirmations as soon as possible, the club is getting kinda tight this year because there are a lotta newer games that will creep in and take priority if i can't post numbers.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Well, I'm going to make every effort to get to this, so you can put me down as confirmed for Brawl. I may enter Melee as well (actually, I most likely will, but I don't want to commit just yet).

:005:

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
SF4 will be on both most likely, if you have your own joystick it would awesome, if you play pad then we will try to make your match on that system. You may need to play on someone else's fightstick.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
That's alright. I wasn't sure if I should just bring my te, or if I should bring my t5 witrh an adapter. I'll probably just bring a te and borrow someoen else's for ps3 matches. Doubt I'll be in the bracket for very long anyway lol.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
You should implement this new rules that's been going around tournament (like genesis) for the past little while

Stage Striking
7 neutrals by adding Kongo Jungle 64 to neutral list and each player strike 3stages and the last stage is the first map played
This prevents stupid sh*t like
Player A mains falcon and bans FoD (Known terribad falcon stage)
Player B mains marth
Random stage = Yoshi's story
auto counterpick for player B because of match up and falcon banning his super super bad stage

I know a few are willing to do this already so it would be tight if we could!

pacman9269

Smash Rookie
alright i got a partner for doubles, im not 100% sure but i think he'll go by Medical Miracle for name

Asa

Smash Hero
Sign me and Jordan up for Brawl please.

Who's hosting Blazbluee?

ikool

Smash Apprentice
I may or may not join depending on my homework load. Hopefully, I'm free that week, and I'd gladly come!

Also, can we bring guests? Or just players allowed?

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
I may or may not join depending on my homework load. Hopefully, I'm free that week, and I'd gladly come!

Also, can we bring guests? Or just players allowed?
You can bring as many guests as you want, they will be treated the same as everyone else.

4twenty

Smash Rookie
My friend and I will attend for Brawl singles and doubles. We can bring a wii and TV if needed. Lemme know.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Put me down as maybe.

Also, where the heck can I find you guys for club week? Thers only 2 days left and I forgot today T_T

Asa

Smash Hero
Put me down as maybe.

Also, where the heck can I find you guys for club week? Thers only 2 days left and I forgot today T_T
Last time we were up on the upper level of the SUB in the ballroom, near the right hand side. There will be a map at club days though.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
clubs week starts on wednesday... yes i know its stupid!
Yikes, why the heck Wednesday...I can't fathom any organization or spacing issues for that...

Ah well, see you guys there sometime in the lunch *slot*

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Yikes, why the heck Wednesday...I can't fathom any organization or spacing issues for that...

Ah well, see you guys there sometime in the lunch *slot*
Yea i was there at random times during the day on wednesday playing SF4, i'll also be there tommorow for a few hours during the day and perhaps after my lab.

Top Bottom