• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair-footstool-QAL potential death combo (video pending)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This works amazingly in the rock formation of Pokestadium. You can uair footstool QA them (most characters are big enough so you won't really have to chase them that much since they can't move cuz of the wall) and then hold the A button. I did it to seibrik's D3 in a friendly, and i literally got a stock off from like 60% or so (i don't remember exactly)

T0MMY

Smash Master
t0mmy and thrilla have been telling me how effective this is.

btw, how come this still hasn't gone mainstream? It doesn't seem too hard, and I'd be figuring that pika results would go up.
I came up with this technique soooooo long ago, I didn't say anything because I thought the Pikachu mains would have known about it since day 1.
I saved a replay at a TourneyPlay or GameClucks of me doing it to a Snake in an actual match and it happened to be on Cake's Wii. When I asked him to review it he said he's done that before.
All I can do is shrug. I don't know what's going on in the Pikachu world. I'm a R.O.B. player (I've discovered all the ATs for that character that the other players haven't figured out quite yet and I don't really come by Smashboards at all).

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
For the record, this is really situational. Not to mention characters with good air speeds (Wario) can avoid it.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I have no Frame Watch yet :(

I actually meant after the footstool, Wario can move away from the Pikachu's intended pathway.

IE. Wario gets footstooled > Wario DI's left > Pikachu accidently goes in the middle/right giving Wario time to get up.

Otherwise, it all depends on the height of the footstool.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
IE. Wario gets footstooled > Wario DI's left > Pikachu accidently goes in the middle/right giving Wario time to get up.
You always have to predict which way they're going to DI. That goes for any character and has been known for....ever. x.x

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You always have to predict which way they're going to DI. That goes for any character and has been known for....ever. x.x
Lol the only person who that doesn't really apply for is ROB because of his weird *** footstool animation.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Not necessarily. IIRC, MK and D3 are both in bottom 5 air speeds. That means it's easier to lock them into death. Also, IIRC, Wario #3 for best air speeds, so I would naturally expect him to be able to avoid it easily.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
O........kay. Thanks for the info, I guess, even though it's common sense. x.x

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. IIRC, MK and D3 are both in bottom 5 air speeds. That means it's easier to lock them into death. Also, IIRC, Wario #3 for best air speeds, so I would naturally expect him to be able to avoid it easily.
EDIT: oh... after the footstool... i guess that makes sense. Though we need to figure how wide the QaC hitbox actually is. Anther made some makeshift QA followup after the footstool that had QA to the side (does not hit ground yet) and diagonally back at a wider angle (which technically is the more 'guarenteed' option since the low sweeping motion will cover ALL characters drifting speeds in EITHER direction even against wolf's airspeed).

Hope that clears things up.

As with any infinite (besides standing), most of it comes from both the user and victim's composure and skill at that point. At the worse case scenario, someone could try the mikehaze technique if push comes to shove... lol

Do questions about this technique get posted here or do we stay in Q&A like before?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@LDPK: Serin meant avoiding it after the footstool (i.e., DI'ing one way or another to avoid the QA), not off of the uair.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
BTW, the reason i bumped this was because i am thinking of using the uair footstool as a gimp off of the level. People use their DJ prematurely, so you can go down there, DJ uair, footstool them, and you just took a stock. Any feedback?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@ESAM: I think I've seen Prime do that on wifi a few times. Not exactly how you described it, but he'll uair off the ledge and footstool people who try to edgeguard. I miiiiight have a replay of him doing it to my Zelda or to Kenny's MK (I know he footstooled the MK, but I dunno if it was off of a uair). I'll check later.

Anyways, I'm sure it could work if you happen to be in the right situation.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean, people hit with DJ uair nair all the time off the level so i thought you could footstool and that would screw a lot of people over.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I mean, people hit with DJ uair nair all the time off the level so i thought you could footstool and that would screw a lot of people over.
Late response, but: you should try it and let us know how it goes. =X

I hate footstooling. It's one of those gimpy skills I just suck at. x.x

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I actually haven't played brawl in more than a week. Been playing melee considering its the next tournament i'm going to.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
EDIT: oh... after the footstool... i guess that makes sense. Though we need to figure how wide the QaC hitbox actually is. Anther made some makeshift QA followup after the footstool that had QA to the side (does not hit ground yet) and diagonally back at a wider angle (which technically is the more 'guarenteed' option since the low sweeping motion will cover ALL characters drifting speeds in EITHER direction even against wolf's airspeed).
Completely missed this after you edited it.

Really? Are there any vids of this? If it's more guaranteed than predicting their DI off of the footstool, it could be really helpful. Imo, landing the QA is the hardest part on certain characters.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Completely missed this after you edited it.

Really? Are there any vids of this? If it's more guaranteed than predicting their DI off of the footstool, it could be really helpful. Imo, landing the QA is the hardest part on certain characters.
Well i think it was a recent (now sorta 4 weeks oldish tho) Anther fight against a yoshi (dragn was the tag?) where anther sorta pulled the u-air QA lock into jablock into KO, and then later that same match he did it against yoshi and did the low sweeping one (because yoshi was slightly out of normal reach and higher than recommended damage). I referenced it a while ago.

It's kind of hard at first (if not straightup impractical for some people) cuz you need to be really fluent in QA cuz the low sweeping follow up is like a West-Southwest to a South-southeast. One example: First one mostly left but down just enough so that QA doesn't reach the round, and then the latter being mostly right-down (pika is real close to the ground after the first QA and it looks almost like a normal QaC to the right from standing position).

I found the vid @ 1:18, anther does the u-air > deathlock but chooses not to continue to death. But you get the picture. For the short hop version, you just have to move to the side more and angle down less so that pika doesn't hit the ground before you sweep the other way low and lock the victim. Its pretty demanding on tech skill though.

Kirkon

Smash Cadet
This technique is AWESOME!

EDIT: Unfortunately, its just another one i cant use on my friends

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Just posting in case this hasn't been discovered yet, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Pikachu, on Wario, can Air Grab Release > Footstool > QAC > Jab Lock.

That is all.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Air release isn't guaranteed. If they shake out with only left-ride on the joystick and A-B, they ground release.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Make that 11 times.

Seriously guys, step it up. =p

Hell, even just uair > footstool > QAL down > Thunder is worth it a lot of times. (aka: free kill move at many parts of most stages at like 110-130%

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
What are you talking about SuSa? What exactly have you done 11 times and why do you keep coming back mentioning it? Also if you jab before you thunder you will kill much much earlier.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
What? No one is saying this combo is impractical. I try to use this a lot in my matches. What's impractical is doing the combo over and over till death like shown in the video. I usually just Uair>FS>QA>Fsmash or Uair>FS>QA>jab>thunder. Anther does it too and actually goes into a QA Lock chain.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Just asking, How would we be able to use the combo in a real match? It requires you to do a kinda hard to set-up..

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Just asking, How would we be able to use the combo in a real match? It requires you to do a kinda hard to set-up..
I wouldn't really look to incorporate it into your regular gameplay. Just use it if the opportunity comes up.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
Like I've posted in this thread before, I QaC lock everybody with this lol this has got to be the best thing since sliced bread lol! I've even manage to get a bit advanced with this combo, I did this to everybody on my list on wifi lol one thing I' pulled off with this is doing this to a D3 on wifi from a QaC jump u-air (A U-air out of a QaC jump) the D3 was at a nice 70ish % at first I QACd over to him and u-air him as soon as I jumped so it lifted the D3 completely in the air almost to the same air height as me, I fast falled onto the D3 and was buffering the jump so I could land the footstool, once it landed I QAC locked him at first then got flashy with it by jablocking then re-QAC locking again, that was craziest thing I've ever done, plus that was my first time too lol, after doing that I started testing % on each char I can do that from, lol D3 is the easiest, I have a replay of me doing it to a Ganon on Wifi too if anyone is interested =D oh and this can be done with Pika facing the opponent as well, so you can either do a backwards U-air or frontal u-air, you can now have both ways to choose from now =D

I under stand this combo is a little old but this combo shows some hella flashy potential! I managed to dive deeper into this combo and did :D lol

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
I'll just come in and say that this is the most fantastic lock in the entire game. It is SO awesome. It even beats out Diddy's single naner lock! I'ma get this down when I get the Wii fixed. I actually need to work on my QAC in general. :ohwell:

I wouldn't do this tech for too long, pressure will get to you fast.

Top Bottom