• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-tilt - when to use?

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I use Usmash a lot of build up damage with Zelda and most of the time I can't even kill at 11x-12x% with Usmash. I think I should use Utilt a lot more because of it's huge KB, but it's so slow and I can never get it to hit.

Any tips on when I should use this move?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
use it if someone is falling from above and airdodges, the move is pretty slow and the hitbox should still be out if they airdodge to quickly, or land on the ground. Also because she waves her arm behind her somewat, it can be used if someone rolls behind you, the hitbox begind her is pretty low to the ground and will hit them.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Whenever you would use Usmash to kill really, just make sure you get used to positioning yourself so that the start of the move hits your opponent rather than the end.

oh and what BestNessn00b says is very true, the rolling thing is very useful.

Also dtilt pops them up at high percentages, so if you're fast enough you can get a utilt in while they're still slightly stunned.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I use Up-Tilt only when I'm almost positive that I am reading my foe correctly and that he/she will get hit by it... also, the foe has to be at a respectable damage.

With no move decay, Utilt klls at fairly low damages, so I like to make sure that when I bring it out, it will finish them off. It might be slow, but it has incredible priority and power... as such, t completely ends some characters if they try to approach aerialy... especially if thry don't have a disjointed hitbox.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
if you experiment, it works a little better against some aerial moves than others.
The hitbox on uptilt, at least to me, appears come a little lower diagonally than upsmash. Like, upsmash gets to 1:30, but uptilt gets to 2 o'clock. So i use it those times.
I use it a lot in situations where i feel that there are different things my opponent might do, and depending on what they do they will probably get hit by the front, top, or back hitbox of the move. It takes a lot of experience/ knowledge of opponent's playstyle to find these situations, but they are there.

Remember, as counterintuitive as it seems to use the back hitbox of this move, that's actually the best part, in terms of after lag. So the back hitbox actually has the best "safe move" rating, if you've read St. Viers guide/musings to safe moves.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I use it when I'm finishing of a Dthrow combo or as something to ruin someone approaching from the air like Sonic said. Mainly though, I use this as a finisher.

Everything that everyone else said is definitely right so there really isn't much new material I can add lol.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Its a great finisher, but it is also can be good way to build damage, just depends on how you want to use it.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Fudge Utilt. The Usmash is where is at! 8D
But uhmm, I suppose its a nice alternative. It comes out sometimes on accident when I really mean to use her Usmash. It works pretty well actually. Stippy'll need to hone in on the technique when I'm practicing.

(however I can never get it to come out, I always end up jumping D: )

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
The easy solution would to be turn tap jump off :p
But if you're like me, you hate tap jump off and kill yourself 5 times a day when it's off, and therefore learn to deal with less Utilt in your life.

IDK

Smash Lord
you can use it as to not decay the u-smash or to follow with an up air.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Fudge Utilt. The Usmash is where is at! 8D
But uhmm, I suppose its a nice alternative. It comes out sometimes on accident when I really mean to use her Usmash. It works pretty well actually. Stippy'll need to hone in on the technique when I'm practicing.

(however I can never get it to come out, I always end up jumping D: )
lol :laugh::laugh: Why don't you just turn tap jump off or at least practice it. Utilt has so much knockback and priority that it cannot just be ignored; not to mention that the attack itself lasts quite a while.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Plus, since Usmash is rarely used for KO's... it takes Usmash's place as a killing move (it kills at lower damages anyway.)

psike

Smash Apprentice
The neutral B move throws people in whatever direction you are facing, so often I'm facing towards a ledge while someone is approaching from behind. To switch this up, its good to use the utilt, as it will take a while to get behind you but will often take out characters approaching from that direction.

Arean

Smash Ace
I love to use the uptilt after using downtilt a few times... I do it when they are aroung 100 % coz you can put them in a distance perfect for uptilting :D

Though it can be really situational but it is indeed possible

Top Bottom