• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-Air on Delfino/Halberd

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Heyyy, I'm new at these boards lol. I might be living up to the "Smash n00b" title below my name in bringing this up, but I just had to ... bring it up, as I have not seen it mentioned here.

I know that a couple of threads here link to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtT1BAGBa50&fmt=18

...but I haven't seen any of the guides mention the technique used here at about 1:07 and 1:11.

(Grabbing on to the ledge, dropping down, jumping up just below the soft platform, up-airing your opponent, and Farore's Wind your way back on stage)

This seems to be really effective against people unaware of this method. It catches them offguard, and adds yet another weapon in Zelda's bag of mindgames.

I know this is risky against people that know about the technique, as they might try to punish your FW. I'd like to take the risk anyway, unless I definitely know the opponent knows better.

Thoughts? I'm sure a lot of you have seen this video, so you must know of this method... Ever use it successfully, or have your oppoenents been wise to your Triforce of Wisdom?

Edit: lol, Smash Journeyman now. I'd have to say now that this technique is not always the best strategy unless you are absolutely certain you won't be punished. It should best be used when the stage is being lowered back to land. Then U-air to your heart's content!

Scott!

Smash Lord
(Typed while waiting for the video to load, based off your description)

It is fairly predictable, so I'd only do it to someone who was charging a smash at me or some other scenario where it was guaranteed. The only other time I can think of where I'd consider it is when either stage is about to land, so I could do it without having to Farore's. If they predict your FW, then you could get anything from a fully charged smash to an edge hog, depending on where you were going. That's not punishment I'd want to deal with.

Okay, the video is loading incredibly slowly, but I saw the first part. And they did it the way I suggested. So, that's fine and well. But the way you suggest is still pretty risky. I'd say only every go for it like once against someone, or they'll predict and punish.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Predictable, and Zelda is gimped when they shield it and hug the edge. You can still use it, but you should drop under, jump, Uair, and FW to the other ledge. It's a tough run, but if you try it than it will get easier.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Yeah it's definitely better when the opponent's in the middle of charging a smash or something else that causes them to be preoccupied.

Can't believe I described it in such a way as to leave something like that out. . . .Ah well

Also, Red Bandit, I just tried that out and it works great. Excellent strategy, I was unaware of it. Works very well in Delfino, but doesn't seem to work in Halberd. Still, great idea.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Welcome to the Zelda boards....hope you choose to stick around for a while and become a frequent contributor.

But ya basically use this if you're guaranteed it will hit....other than that this will get you gimped.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
This is a big risk when it comes to moves, however, this is a lot safer when you study Delfino Plaza. If used when the stage is just about to shift down to solid ground, then doing a Uair under the stage is a nifty little trick to get you on the ground faster than your opponent, since Zelda is much better below the opponent than above them.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Yeah it's definitely better when the opponent's in the middle of charging a smash or something else that causes them to be preoccupied.

Can't believe I described it in such a way as to leave something like that out. . . .Ah well

Also, Red Bandit, I just tried that out and it works great. Excellent strategy, I was unaware of it. Works very well in Delfino, but doesn't seem to work in Halberd. Still, great idea.
I can pull that off consistently at Halberd and Delfino. It is nearly unpunishable since most people can't cover THAT much ground.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
This is kinda common knowledge. Generally it only works on beginner/intermediate players who don't see a problem with approaching someone who is obviously camping waiting for a good position.

It's best to wait for an opponents recovery and run off the stage to them, intercepting their recovery with a u-air.

This works well on other stages, such as:

Stone Pillar something or other
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Pretty much all the Kirby stages.
Pit's stage
Norfair

Make sure you FW ONTO the stage, instead of the ledge. This is an easily gimped move if it gets blocked. Imo, if you're able to u-air them, you'll be able to ledgedrop, jump and f-air them just as well. Chances are if you're going for a u-air kill at the bottom of the stage, you'll be just as likely to kill them with a lightning kick.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Thanks for the welcome, marsulas. Wish I could come up with a less risky technique for my first post here, but you guys seem to have covered mostly everything already, lol. Glad I found this place.

And great point, Canvasofgrey. It could easily lead to a followup Usmash/tilt or another Uair, etc etc. . .

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Imo, if you're able to u-air them, you'll be able to ledgedrop, jump and f-air them just as well. Chances are if you're going for a u-air kill at the bottom of the stage, you'll be just as likely to kill them with a lightning kick.
Usually in these situations, on these stages, they're closer to the top than the far edge of the stage, making Uair a more potent killer. All in all, though, it depends on your positioning. On Norfair, for example, if they're on a platform above you but off to a side, Fair/Bair is of course easier. But just as often ledgehopping Uair from below them kills better (as long as you're in that position, as it takes longer if you're not), especially since on Norfair the blast zones are so close.

Personally I think it's harder to see coming than ledgehopped Fair, I use it all the time. After a few of these, THEN i bring out ledgehopped Fair for mix-up mindgames.

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
Predictable, and Zelda is gimped when they shield it and hug the edge. You can still use it, but you should drop under, jump, Uair, and FW to the other ledge. It's a tough run, but if you try it than it will get easier.
i agree completely! you should definately FW to the other ledge rather then the one you just came from. it'll add onto the mindgame if you keep switching what side you FW to also. that way you'll be able to grab the ledge no matter what side your opponent tries to edge hog! :)

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
with Ryko on this one. if you look and plan carefully getting gimped isn't an issue because there's more stage coming from underneath

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
LOL yeah I don't post in general been keeping a low profile it just seemed like everyone missed the point of up airing from under the stage with my ancient video example, especially the halberd one

Top Bottom