• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

Arthur97

Smash Master
People complain if it's too male, then you get two girls and people complain about them. Of course.

CERO does seem to have a double standard though. Sephiroth can be shirtless and Shulk can run around in boxers/swim trunks and that's apparently perfectly okay. Not that Pyra's change really does much.
Speaking of female characters, what are you guys’ opinion in the idea of Dixie being playable?
I'd be down for it. Her or Cranky, or both would be good DK picks. Impa too for Zelda.
Since we don't know what the alternate colors/outfits for Pyra and Mythra are yet, what are the odds we'll see the swimsuits as an alt costume or swapped colors as an alt color scheme?

View attachment 304404View attachment 304405
I kind of doubt the swimsuits (see above double standard), but Carbon, Sky-Blue, Mythra Style, and Pyra Style may be likely. It is a bit odd they are witholding them though. Perhaps because of the swimsuits. Main problem with the disguise is that Mythra doesn't have anything to match.

On a similar note, anyone think that Mythra Style Pyra doesn't look that much like Mythra since the yellow and black are so prominent compared to Mythra's outfit being so white?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'll be honest I'm a big fan of the smash outfits. :)

I've had mixed feelings about their default designs with how people viewed them, and would've liked for the smash outfits to be the default ones in XC2.
I have no problem with fan service if it's something you can choose on top, like extra outfits you can give characters, or choices you make that lead to certain cut scenes, etc. but if Nintendo wants to have more a family friendly image, then they should've thought of it sooner :p

As someone who watches a lot of anime, I'm kind of used to there being fan service here and there, so it's not a big deal to me, but it does bother me when people look at characters I like as sex objects XD

It's not sexist to have certain feminine features and wear clothes that show skin, so I don't even consider their original designs sexist, women can be how they are and wear what they want. The issues comes in when lots of people start focusing too much on sexuality. imo.
I agree, i like these new designs a bit better then the old ones. I feel that more done right is sexier/better then just less and less.

Speaking of female characters, what are you guys’ opinion in the idea of Dixie being playable?
I would like it and i feel she has earned it, but I don't know if she will be in this pass. I feel like her best chance is an echo pass where she is an echo of Diddy, but a chrom level echo, when she pulls from both Diddy and one or 2 moves from Donkey

Since we don't know what the alternate colors/outfits for Pyra and Mythra are yet, what are the odds we'll see the swimsuits as an alt costume or swapped colors as an alt color scheme?

I mean, Zero Suid Samus has her Super Metroid outfits in the game, mso I think a swimsuit is possible Remember, CERO seems to care mostly about panty shots, and those swimsuits aren't super revealing

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's not forget about some of Samus' alts (shot from 4).

I can only imagine this went through while CERO thought they were done examining her (though in fairness it's a nod to her prior appearances in her source series, but still).

In any case, I think we can agree that P&M's original designs were comparatively more slapdash and busy to the eye on a technical level, so in this case it was a happy accident.

I'd be all for her. If somehow her Mii accessory discounts her from showing up this time, I would also accept Cranky, Funky or (by some miracle during DK's 40th or the year after) Tiny, Lanky and Chunky as a 3-in-1 if we're talking Kongs.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Let's not forget about some of Samus' alts (shot from 4).

I can only imagine this went through while CERO thought they were done examining her (though in fairness it's a nod to her prior appearances in her source series, but still.

In any case, I think we can agree that P&M's original designs were comparatively more slapdash and busy to the eye on a technical level, so in this case it was a happy accident.
thats what i litterally just said lol. i think the only change the swimsuit might need is tobe slightly larger in the crotch area, so it doesn't shot any of the vaginal V.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

If we don't get any nod to the extra third character, I really want the green hair for Pyra (and maybe there could even be one for mythra).
I'm a fan of green hair XD

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For a moment I was going to cry tears of joy since I thought you did Labrys Mythra instead of Metis Mythra 😭
I thought about doing Labrys Mythra, but I decided to go with Metis to better reflect the "two halves of the same whole" idea.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
I thought about doing Labrys Mythra, but I decided to go with Metis to better reflect the "two halves of the same whole" idea.
I’m just a big fan of the robot sisters, but it made perfect sense why you chose Metis over Labrys.

Also, Labrys having a similar color scheme with KOS-MOS doesn’t help.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone heard but Xenoblade 2 got sold out in Japan after its Smash reveal.

No surprise given how popular the franchise is over there.

jp eshop rankings.jpg

Even bigger boost than when Xenoblade DE released

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, but apparently NOA wasn't able to do anything for the Minecraft characters anyway.
Are you sure they didn't just decide to cut corners? Besides, it's entirely possible their names won't be in the chant and they share one with a blanket term like Aegis. Wouldn't be the first time that a chant has been shared.

On that note, think they share victory screens or have separate ones? The only one we saw seemed to be both, but it was more Mythra, so I could see it going either way. Would be a bit odd if they shared despite having different numbers.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
AlphaRad latest video is about his thoughts on Pyra/Mythra & Smash in general, &, wow, it surprised me how near identical me & his wavelengths are.

I really recommend giving it a watch if you're still lost in your thoughts on the Aigis Girls - it certainly helped cleared my mind!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
AlphaRad latest video is about his thoughts on Pyra/Mythra & Smash in general, &, wow, it surprised me how near identical me & his wavelengths are.

I really recommend giving it a watch if you're still lost in your thoughts on the Aigis Girls - it certainly helped cleared my mind!

Yeah saw it and it's like he says it's just him gushing over them getting in :p
Clearly he'd fit well with some of us in this thread XD

It really is awesome that it happened :)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't really care for him actively not wanting Rex, but I also took issue with him over FE.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Are you sure they didn't just decide to cut corners? Besides, it's entirely possible their names won't be in the chant and they share one with a blanket term like Aegis. Wouldn't be the first time that a chant has been shared.

On that note, think they share victory screens or have separate ones? The only one we saw seemed to be both, but it was more Mythra, so I could see it going either way. Would be a bit odd if they shared despite having different numbers.
That screen is probably the Mythra version, the one with Pyra will probably be the inverse.

mythra spirit.png

Two years ago this was Mythra's role: the last spirit standing in the way of Galeem's top enforcers, Palutena and Master Hand. Even if it may have hurt to see her this way, we can't forget the significance of this position.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
That screen is probably the Mythra version, the one with Pyra will probably be the inverse.

View attachment 304483

Two years ago this was Mythra's role: the last spirit standing in the way of Galeem's top enforcers, Palutena and Master Hand. Even if it may have hurt to see her this way, we can't forget the significance of this position.
That could work. Plus, if they share they have to figure out what the announcer calls and how to do the likely Rex one(s).

Oh yeah, I plan to do WoL again with just them. Actually, a friend of mine has turned it into a race.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I'm really hoping they'll be bringing us a Xenoblade 2: Definitive Editions at some point. It may not need the same level of visual improvement that the original version needed, but by god, this game really does need a lot of improvements overall.

A proper map system for one.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Haven't been on this site for a hot minute, but Pyra and Mythra by themselves is a dream come true for me. I have stanned for it to happen ever since the Torna DLC with Mythra fighting by herself, but I never truly expected it to happen. I would have been happy with any XC2 rep because I knew that game deserved a 2nd chance after the unfortunate roster timing. I thought Rex would get his revenge, but no! Imagine my absolute surprise and glee when it was just Pyra. Literally a dream scenario for me when I had so little hope of it happening.

There have been other characters where pure hype had me jumping at the time with Ridley and Banjo, but no other inclusion has made me so emotionally happy and put a near tear to my eye. I'm not an emotional person and this really got me. XC2 is a very special game and Pyra/Mythra are very wonderful characters. The reveal trailer was an absolute joy for any fan of the game. I've rewatched it so many times. It's not even meant to be a jawdropping holy crap trailer like Sephiroth's, but it hits just as hard for completely different reasons. I am so so happy I can't express it enough.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Haven't been on this site for a hot minute, but Pyra and Mythra by themselves is a dream come true for me. I have stanned for it to happen ever since the Torna DLC with Mythra fighting by herself, but I never truly expected it to happen. I would have been happy with any XC2 rep because I knew that game deserved a 2nd chance after the unfortunate roster timing. I thought Rex would get his revenge, but no! Imagine my absolute surprise and glee when it was just Pyra. Literally a dream scenario for me when I had so little hope of it happening.

There have been other characters where pure hype had me jumping at the time with Ridley and Banjo, but no other inclusion has made me so emotionally happy and put a near tear to my eye. I'm not an emotional person and this really got me. XC2 is a very special game and Pyra/Mythra are very wonderful characters. The reveal trailer was an absolute joy for any fan of the game. I've rewatched it so many times. It's not even meant to be a jawdropping holy crap trailer like Sephiroth's, but it hits just as hard for completely different reasons. I am so so happy I can't express it enough.
You do get the impression that they are both really, really happy to be here, in a place where they can put their skills to good use without being judged or trying to be taken advantage of by anyone. Well, almost. It's too bad Sephiroth just narrowly beat them here to give them nightmares about their past, but Cloud can sympathise and help out.

They way Pyra talks between here and her game of origin is like night and day; almost everything she says in the latter comes in such a half-hearted tone compared to the former. Which makes sense when you know of her circumstances, but still. Mythra meanwhile gets to indulge in her competitiveness without fear of going overboard, with none of her usual defensiveness.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bit late but congrats to those who have supported Pyra/Mythra!

Elma was always my number one choice when it came to Xenoblade. However, I'm still excited to play as them whenever they release!

Arthur97

Smash Master
Oddly enough, Rex's eyes also glow in their final smashes. Was going to include the pic Sakurai shared but the site doesn't seem to want to do that.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping they'll be bringing us a Xenoblade 2: Definitive Editions at some point. It may not need the same level of visual improvement that the original version needed, but by god, this game really does need a lot of improvements overall.

A proper map system for one.
Definitely true there's a lot that could be streamlined and improved, but I don't see it happening for another couple console generations. For now, it would make more sense to just update the game to fix what issues they can. But I don't think we'll get any more updates besides maybe Pyra's Smash costume.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Was the Pyra / Mythra reveal really that disliked in the US? Most of the reaction videos I've watched are positive or on the positive side of neutral. I've never played any of the series (JRPG fan though), and I think they look hype as hell. Once I finish a couple of the games I'm playing I plan on playing Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. Other than the YouTubers that clearly only want one or two characters from specific violent video games (not that there's anything wrong with wanting them), Pyra and Mythra seem like pretty logical and welcomed picks. Even my fiancee who doesn't really play games outside of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing thought they looked really cool. shrug

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Was the Pyra / Mythra reveal really that disliked in the US? Most of the reaction videos I've watched are positive or on the positive side of neutral. I've never played any of the series (JRPG fan though), and I think they look hype as hell. Once I finish a couple of the games I'm playing I plan on playing Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. Other than the YouTubers that clearly only want one or two characters from specific violent video games (not that there's anything wrong with wanting them), Pyra and Mythra seem like pretty logical and welcomed picks. Even my fiancee who doesn't really play games outside of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing thought they looked really cool. shrug
I think its more of a vocal minority whining about it. A lot of karens and anti feminist men who think they are pro woman, or the ones that hate anime swords fighters but also also want dante and sora unironically

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There exists people who believe third-party characters are the only ones worth having as DLC.

Top Bottom