• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twilight of Smash 5 - Brawl - Ottawa, ON - Jul 5, 08

Niko_K

Smash Master
Wak if you could squeeze me in for friday + saturday that would be immense. Hopefully you get back to me tonight.

PNDMike I just don't see travelling 45 minutes to your house feasible two nights in a row.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can house a big maximum of two people in here, but the second person would sleep in the living room
oh and I live in angers, it's 2 buss ride and a walk throught bank street... Something west coasters wouldn't really mind after 2 days of travel.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Alright I hope I figure this out for tomorrow, I'm just coming on the bus to Ottawa and hoping to get hooked up xD. Tenting sounds hardcore though.

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, don't worry about. My crew and I will be in and out of the city all weekend, but if you have a place IN Ottawa it's definitely better.

Damax

Smash Lord
Kanata is hitting this up with our "play brawl once a month" strat. Sign me, Rimi and Locke up for singles and Rimi and Locke up for doubles as Team Quaid. I can bring a tv for sure and Brian might be able to bring his, but no wiis so someone else needs to bring those.
hey no stealin me and vwin's strat LOL we hardly play the game for more than 2 hours straight or we die from boredom

Fogel

Smash Lord
Finally, I know the venue costs are coming from the pot(s), but how are they being divided amongst doubles and singles? 50-50 from each? I'm just curious.
I ratio it based on how much money each event brings in, usually singles has a lot more money than doubles so I take more from singles. I would estimate about 2/3 of the rental cost comes from singles.

Any updates for hosting?

Fogel? Any room left? Chilling with the others would be great.
PNDMike offered to house you, PM him for his info.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I would take up on PNDMike's offer but with my budget traveling lots this weekend just isn't a good thing. I would have to travel 45 minutes outside of Ottawa on friday, saturday(there and back) and sunday.

If anyone in Ottawa could house me within the city please let me know. I'll be leaving today at noon but I'll be checking up on the boards once I arrive.

Damax

Smash Lord
THad, Bigrick, Testrider: for the lift, I work on friday till midnight and can't show up at the station before 00:30 ish. I guess that means waiting at the station for you. if that's not what you want then try and get a comon time and ask vwins for the pickup at montmorency's metro. else I'll pick you guys up at 00:30.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Do we have more setups than posted on the first page? It kinda seems like we do however it could just be hard to follow all the posts.

Ill be bringing a setup which includes a wii, brawl, powerbar, and tv.

Maybe we can get a setup repost from those bringing them, unless Cam has kept up to date so far.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Alrighty, I'm now in Toronto at the coach terminal. My bus to Ottawa leaves in an hour. Any updates on hosting?

PND

Smash Champion
Reading the counterpick stages, I STRONGLY disagree with distant planet. I was playing on it today and was 0% KO'ing people off the walk off side on the left, while remaining near the bottom ledge. Any move that gives strong horizontal or diagonal downwards momentum, especially on floatier characters, is a deathtrap. As well as the fact that items spawn on the level (Onions? I think that's what they are called) it seems illogical that it would be a legal stage.

Example 1, Snake: Plants mine off screen. Bairs opponent into mine at 0%, which can be done from halfway on the hill. Death. Sure, the setup is difficult (getting time to plant a mine offscreen?) but if they DI away from the killzone, they get hit by the mine and die. If they don't, they die due to the killzone. The spacing differs between with the weight of the characters, but properly executed it seems unavoidable at this time. I will experiment more with this, see if there is a way around this. I HAVE seen the mine push the person back towards the stage (it was an Olimar) but with the hitstun (with what little Brawl has) I managed to bair him again for the kill

Example 2, Luigi is knocked over to the hill, near the side. After teching, he lacks time to properly dodge, so he shields, say, Ike's FSmash, the momentum is enough to slide him to death. Admittedly, this can be powershielded for no momentum loss, but it's still a noteworthy addition if only to point out what may happen with floatier characters.

I doubt it will actually be counterpicked during the tourney, but still. Any debate on this stage? Plus the music sucks :p

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Reading the counterpick stages, I STRONGLY disagree with distant planet. I was playing on it today and was 0% KO'ing people off the walk off side on the left, while remaining near the bottom ledge. Any move that gives strong horizontal or diagonal downwards momentum, especially on floatier characters, is a deathtrap. As well as the fact that items spawn on the level (Onions? I think that's what they are called) it seems illogical that it would be a legal stage.

Example 1, Snake: Plants mine off screen. Bairs opponent into mine at 0%, which can be done from halfway on the hill. Death. Sure, the setup is difficult (getting time to plant a mine offscreen?) but if they DI away from the killzone, they get hit by the mine and die. If they don't, they die due to the killzone. The spacing differs between with the weight of the characters, but properly executed it seems unavoidable at this time. I will experiment more with this, see if there is a way around this. I HAVE seen the mine push the person back towards the stage (it was an Olimar) but with the hitstun (with what little Brawl has) I managed to bair him again for the kill

Example 2, Luigi is knocked over to the hill, near the side. After teching, he lacks time to properly dodge, so he shields, say, Ike's FSmash, the momentum is enough to slide him to death. Admittedly, this can be powershielded for no momentum loss, but it's still a noteworthy addition if only to point out what may happen with floatier characters.

I doubt it will actually be counterpicked during the tourney, but still. Any debate on this stage? Plus the music sucks :p
I'll second this simply for the reason I hate that particular map.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Wak I just didn't know if you were hosting bug which is why I didn't respond, ill gladly accept hosting from you.

Call me,

1-905-328-0942

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I'll second this simply for the reason I hate that particular map.
Thats no reason for your opinion to really count. Mike at least explained his in detail, which is pretty good. But I myself am considering using it as a counter stage since most people are unfamiliar with it.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Thats no reason for your opinion to really count. Mike at least explained his in detail, which is pretty good. But I myself am considering using it as a counter stage since most people are unfamiliar with it.
Lol, I know. I was kidding lol, I didn't expect my post to do anything

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Make pools Single Game instead of Bo3 but, keep it 3stock 7min.
No, counter-picking levels is very important. The "neutral" levels aren't neutral to everybody. When my Lucas wants to take a dump, he goes to Jungle Japes. :p

In Distant Planet it's pretty hard to abuse that ledge. Your scenarios don't seem to work out in my mind. Somebody getting back aired by Snake twice? Somebody just standing there blocking Ike's forward smash? It's relatively easy, from my experiences, to get back to the main platform rather than remaining on the walkoff side. As well, there's the water which changes things considerably. As for the nutrition pellets (as the onions are those funny looking... things. Go play some Pikmin.) they're very weak and only serve to give some characters a projectile that does, like 5% and next to no knockback.

I haven't seen any good enough reason to ban it... but since it's not banned, perhaps you should try to abuse it as much as possible. In the end, something will only be banned if it's proven in a tournament setting to suck.

KingAce

Smash Ace
Hey Fogel, could you give us the adress of your house . we completely forgot to ask for it even though your housing us lol.

Fogel

Smash Lord
We now have 2 more TVs than Wiis, can anyone else bring any more Wiis?

Kanata is hitting this up with our "play brawl once a month" strat. Sign me, Rimi and Locke up for singles and Rimi and Locke up for doubles as Team Quaid. I can bring a tv for sure and Brian might be able to bring his, but no wiis so someone else needs to bring those.
Yay KPP!

The thing with the Distant Planet ledge is that it's very situational. Most fighting will be done on the main island. If someone tries to wait on the left side to do silly stuff, you can just wait on the right island and eventually the water will force them to get off the left side.

Similar arguments could be made for Delfino since it also has parts where there are walk-off ledges, and I think the same reasoning applies. If someone tries to do silly stuff on the edge, just wait in the middle until the stage changes.

However, if you do find some broken strat for Distant Planet, abuse it and win the tournament; that way we can go ahead and ban it in the future :)

Wak I just didn't know if you were hosting bug which is why I didn't respond, ill gladly accept hosting from you.

Call me,

1-905-328-0942
I'm hoping you work something out with Wak/PNDMike, I personally can not help you as I won't have access to a car until very late tomorrow. I'm still confused why you wouldn't accept PNDMike's help, I'm pretty sure he could have driven into the city to pick you up. Anyways, post if you're still stranded somewhere.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
MK ditto on Distant Planet is extremely gay.

The water hazard on it isn't that deadly, all you have to do is grab the ledge. The water has no effect if you're off the ground. So in a MK ditto it'll be a complete and utter standoff between the 2 and NO ONE will approach because if you do you die.

Ask KingAce. He knows this as well because this happened to us at Niagara in a pools match. Once the game started we both camped and no one moved so we agreed to change the stage.

I bring up the MK ditto because I know that plenty of people play MK and I'm sure it's bound to happen like it did with me.

Not only that but, other characters with multiple jumps and/or aerials with multiple hits can really abuse the main platform easily and return to the ledge unharmed making it really hard for the other to do anything. Go onto the left side to edgeguard? No problem. Just head off to the other ledge on the right side and camp some more.

This isn't even taking into account the pills that drop off and can be used as projectiles and that insta-death bulborb on the right that appears sometimes. It's still possible to get knocked into it and if left unchecked I'm sure someone is bound to abuse it.

Distant Planet is really gay and I think it deserves to be banned. I agree with PNDMike.

Cowbox

Smash Cadet
So us Maritimers are leaving for Ottawa tomorrow. Can't wait to meet y'all.

Sadly, SupremePieNinja can't make it. We'll have to smash extra hard in his stead.

Oh, and fun fact. Quan wants Wak's autograph. So does another SJ Smasher who can't make it. Hope you don't mind, Wak. :V

Damax

Smash Lord
TestRider, WarrenTHad, BigRick, you guys have to set up a common time to get pick up by vwins tomorrow, cause I'm not gonna pick you guys up at montreal at 9am on saturday. if you guys don't then it will be the default 00:30 (saturday)

I need your common time before friday 2:50 pm.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
For the guys coming to TOS in the same car as me and Zaf:

We have a small change of plans for tonight, were meeting up at angrignon, around 7-8, please dont be late. Were all gonna crash at my place considering i live the closest to a metro and to the highway before leaving for the tourney tomorrow morning.

I'll be at work until 4 but in case you need anything leave me a message (or call me after my shift) at 514-497-7159

Niko_K

Smash Master
Alrighty Wak, my problem is solved so don't worry about that. I did however sleep in a random park last night and made some videos haha. I'll post them up when I have the chance.

See ya guys tomorrow...er, ill be hungover /johns

Steb

Smash Journeyman
Going to register for singles and doubles with "C"let. I can bring a Wii too.

Gonna take a bus there and zaf is gonna pick me up from the bus station.

MetaNick

Smash Rookie
signing up for doubles

hey i know this is kind of last moment but could you sign me (MetaNick) and Infoman up for the doubles. Thanks.:)

Top Bottom