• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tutorial: Editing Vertices! ~Gallery Updated (2/8/10)~

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
yeah, fortwaffles, you should link to the "how many verticies" program on the OP for people

@Mr. Chuy

yes, copy that on each line, totaling the number of verticies that the polygon has ("546 verticies",546 lines with that line)

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
in the OP you say to find the POLYGON you want to edit but then it says to export the vertex group, and in the picture you right the number of vertices in a vertex file not in a polygon file, which one is the one I should export and how do I tell which vertex group is the one I want?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
in the OP you say to find the POLYGON you want to edit but then it says to export the vertex group, and in the picture you right the number of vertices in a vertex file not in a polygon file, which one is the one I should export and how do I tell which vertex group is the one I want?
Look at the polygon you want to edit and look for "nodeID" or something like that and then look through the vertices and find the vertice that has the same id

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
the number and order of polygons that the character has is the exact same as its vertex group. so if you want to export polygon 2 (the 3rd polygon group) then you find the 3rd vertex group (who's name should tip you off to what part it corresponds to) and export that.

you do not need to deal with the polygon files at all

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
okay well then I have the wrong piece right now,

New Question: during the last section where you add faces to the .3ds file what does it mean when you say " extract a copy of the mdl0 and do the same procedure of deleting all the model parts except for the one you are editing. "

Zephron

Smash Ace
How is this only on page 14? :p

Could you please help me?

I finished editing the vertices, saved it, got the new out.bin,

and now I'm on step 16.

I opened the TL model in HxD, and found the offset for his body.

Apparently the file doesn't go that far.
It's 142784, and it only goes up to 34D80.

I'm pretty sure I opened the right stuff.
It says MDL0Offset.

I also tried changing it to hex, decimal, and oct, but none worked.

HELP!!!

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
okay I figured out what to do to add faces but it seems like It requires me to delete the model parts without using the automatic model parts deleter. Is that right?

Im having trouble telling If I picked the vertex group I wanted, Im using Zelda as my first try but the names of her vertex groups arent specific enough, I cant find one that says "hair". only hair decoration, which I dont think is the right one.

@Random TBush did you edit the vertices while being able to see the faces?

Is anybody working on a program to simplify this? The directions are clear and all but anything that involves hex editing is pretty intimidating and leaves alot of room for mistakes.

that said it would be awesome if somebody took a request :D

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
How is this only on page 14? :p

Could you please help me?

I finished editing the vertices, saved it, got the new out.bin,

and now I'm on step 16.

I opened the TL model in HxD, and found the offset for his body.

Apparently the file doesn't go that far.
It's 142784, and it only goes up to 34D80.

I'm pretty sure I opened the right stuff.
It says MDL0Offset.

I also tried changing it to hex, decimal, and oct, but none worked.

HELP!!!
it works, open the model mdl0 in translhextion hit offset, jump to and type in 142784

paste the out.bin data on the fifth line from the top

okay I figured out what to do to add faces but it seems like It requires me to delete the model parts without using the automatic model parts deleter. Is that right?

Im having trouble telling If I picked the vertex group I wanted, Im using Zelda as my first try but the names of her vertex groups arent specific enough, I cant find one that says "hair". only hair decoration, which I dont think is the right one.
go into the model previewer in brawlbox, start hiding things until your wanted model part isn't visible, that's the number polygon you want, and count the same amount (plus one) from the top of the vertex group list. you will reach the hair group

i too am having trouble with using faces. I understand the concept, but I do not know how to start.

what program do we use to "delete" the vertices we aren't editing? (hex editor?)
how do we know what areas to "delete"?
by deleting, we are replacing the value of the verticies with 42 F0 00 00 instead of 00 00 00 00 for the entire section of data for the verticies, right?

i just don't understand that part...

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
SO I got most things working but when I used meshlab and looked at the file it looked like this

When I deleted the model parts I didnt want I used the automatic deleter instead of the doing it the way it said in the OP would that be the problem?

owned645

Smash Cadet

ummm... i open a sheik mdl0 converted to DAE in meshlab and got this. is there going to be a fix?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
looks like you guys haven't put ALL of the unedited vertices at location 120, and the ones that weren't moved are still connected to the ones that were. you just need to make sure every vertex of the model, besides the polygon you want to edit, are moved

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
looks like you guys haven't put ALL of the unedited vertices at location 120, and the ones that weren't moved are still connected to the ones that were. you just need to make sure every vertex of the model, besides the polygon you want to edit, are moved
so how exactly do I do that?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
i dunno, maybe "fill selection with" option can do it, but I dunno when to stop replacing the points...

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
This is really starting to piss the hell out of me. Can someone write a proper tutorial with no mistakes with a little FAQ? It seems I can't even use 1234 to 4321 anymore. Just gives me some random errors, and I'm not the only one who had them recently. Plus, each time I try to ask Fortwaffles for help, he has to go, for some reason..

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
This really is a pain in the ***, its almost impossible to figure out where my mistakes are. Every time I try I get a different error.

Edit: is there anyway you could post wat type of error causes which problem ?

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
ok so once again it hasnt worked for me, I'm sorry about all the complaining i'm doing but I really want to use this and its really frustrating me.

Whenever I use 1234 to 4321.exe after I've finished editing the vertices it gives me an error message, why is that?

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Eureka! All of your problems will now be solved. Jack Harvest has found the problem. There's a minimum and maximum in this program, so let's say you have 5 vertices, or 2300150, it will not working, because it's a value between X and Y. He cannot recompile the file into an executable, though, so he'd have to contact whoever made the program (Is it Fortwaffles?).

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Would someone make a **** Rosalina already? ATLEAST the hair ._.

ORRR orrr, someone could send me the properly hexed file to edit and I could edit it :D?

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Would someone make a **** Rosalina already? ATLEAST the hair ._.

ORRR orrr, someone could send me the properly hexed file to edit and I could edit it :D?
You would understand why you cannot do it if you would have read the post just above yours. I did start working on one, though.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Because I was asked to, I have made a sort-of guide for importing vertices with the faces as well (and my own notes on how to base it off a not-warped T-stance).

TUTORIAL ON HOW TO IMPORT VERTICES WITH FACES, AND MODIFY THEM (3DS MAX)

1. Use AIS v0.1.1 to extract the model you want to edit. (Williams' converter will not work properly.)
2. Import the DAE into 3DS Max (or whatever else you use) without up-axis enabled. (Basically, the model would be laying down instead of standing straight up.)
3. Export the polygon group you want to modify to a separate *.3DS file.
4. Use BrawlBox to export the vertex file for the same object you'll be modifying.
5. Delete the first 64 bytes (the header) for the vertex file you exported from BrawlBox, and any "00000000" at the end (the filler).
6. Use fortwaffles' "1234 to 4321.exe" to invert those vertex values, since 3DS files are screwy like that.
7. Open both the 3DS file you exported and the out.bin in a hex editor.
8. Find the hex value (with the bytes in reverse order -- 285 = 1D01, for example) for the amount of vertices in the 3DS file (the first thing after the vertex group is "40410004". Stop selecting before that point.)
9. Paste the values from the out.bin into the 3DS in between the vertex count and the "40410004". The file size shouldn't change in the least if you've done it correctly.
10. Save the 3DS file and re-import it.

HELPFUL HINT FOR VERTEX SHAPING IN 3DS MAX -- Make three copies of the object you want to modify. One from AIS v0.1.1, one with the vertices straight from the game, and one that has your modifications to the model. Use the Morpher tool to convert the AIS polygon group into both the extracted polygon group and the changed group simultaneously. For vertices that have multiple bones, you will probably have a few side effects. For the two vertex-modified skins I've made, it was fixed easily by re-extracting the warped polygon group using AIS v0.1.1 and using that as the "changes" polygon group, but it's not a guaranteed fix.

...Hope I explained it well enough. It's definitely not newbie stuff or anything like that. (But if I'm really not clear with what I'm saying, I'll make a visual guide sometime later.)

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
Thx Random T Bush,

okay so the last problem I was having was this: when I tried to use 1234 to 4321.exe after editing vertices it gave me this error message:

for object object0:

Error reading byte.

could somebody tell me how to fix this?

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
You would understand why you cannot do it if you would have read the post just above yours. I did start working on one, though.
I didn't ask for your input. I asked for a pre hexed file so I could vertex edit on my own simply because I'm far too lazy to hex out all the stuff, convert to .obj etc. Thank you for starting work on one, I do admire your work just not your attitude sometimes :l.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
how do people run that AIS 0.1.1 program?

dragging the pac to the program just closes its window, and makes no new file...

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Meleemaster, right-click your file and open it with AiS. I also think there's a new version, like, 1.3 or something. Anyway, who made "1234 to 4321.exe"? I was wondering so I could ask him to fix this problem, because otherwise a lot of vertices won't be able to be edited.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Ugh, I've followed another tutorial where it involves the use of 3D Studio Max and it failed at the last step. Anyone could take a look at my file? Also, yay, 200th post.

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
mi unico inconveniente ahora son los malditos vertices que aparecen todos amontonados T-T

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
mi unico inconveniente ahora son los malditos vertices que aparecen todos amontonados T-T
No sé por qué está haciendo eso, recuerda, como ya he dicho, es un trabajo de Sakurai, no podemos hacer otra cosa que culpar a él.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Thx Random T Bush,

okay so the last problem I was having was this: when I tried to use 1234 to 4321.exe after editing vertices it gave me this error message:

for object object0:

Error reading byte.

could somebody tell me how to fix this?
Weird. I've never gotten that error, so I can't really help you with it. D:
how do people run that AIS 0.1.1 program?

dragging the pac to the program just closes its window, and makes no new file...
You have to run it in the command prompt. Just type "ais_0.1.1.exe FitCharacter00.pac".
Meleemaster, right-click your file and open it with AiS. I also think there's a new version, like, 1.3 or something. Anyway, who made "1234 to 4321.exe"? I was wondering so I could ask him to fix this problem, because otherwise a lot of vertices won't be able to be edited.
AiS v0.1.3 actually makes things smaller than they should be, believe it or not. At least, it did with the models I exported.
Just thought that you guys would like to put this in your gallery as well...
http://dasdonkeyteam.blogspot.com/2010/01/metavader.html
Darth Vader Metaknight, they edited his mask and sword, looks pretty sweet in game.
(Runs of to try something for his own)
Ooh, neat! Too bad I don't play as Meta Knight. :p

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
RandomTBush, do you think you could help me with my problem? I'll be back from school in 8 hours and a half. If you have MSN, please add GokuSSJ15@live.com.

The problem is not that I don't understand how to do anything, it's actually easy (I do the 3DS Method, Anima8or just plain sucks), I just don't know what I fail to be doing on the last step.

Oh and Poxag, I know how to fix it, thanks to Akari_Un. Export the vertice and save it as test.bin, then run 1234 to 4321.exe, it will work perfectly.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
LOL I saw that RandomTBush quoted my post and was like yes somebody answered my question but then he was like sorry I cant help, but then BigShark helped me out instead so It's all good. thx guys Ill try that out

@Bigshark when you say export the Vertice exactly what vertice is that? as in the vertice file? or my 3ds file or wat?

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
RandomTBush, do you think you could help me with my problem? I'll be back from school in 8 hours and a half. If you have MSN, please add GokuSSJ15@live.com.

The problem is not that I don't understand how to do anything, it's actually easy (I do the 3DS Method, Anima8or just plain sucks), I just don't know what I fail to be doing on the last step.

Oh and Poxag, I know how to fix it, thanks to Akari_Un. Export the vertice and save it as test.bin, then run 1234 to 4321.exe, it will work perfectly.
Sorry I'm having trouble understanding your instructions, you said to extract the vertice and change it to test.bin thats what you do in step 3 and 4? I was having trouble with step 15. Am I misunderstanding what you said or did you misunderstand what I needed help with. Sorry if Im making a mistake

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
AppName: ais_0.1.1.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0000100b

it closes after starting to run...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
AppName: ais_0.1.1.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0000100b

it closes after starting to run...
Did you double-click it? That won't work. You have to go to the command prompt (Start > Run > CMD) and type "ais_0.1.1.exe FitCharacter00.pac" (with FitCharacter00 being the name of your PAC file, of course) once you've opened the folder with both AiS and the character's PAC file, or drag-and-drop the PAC onto AiS... and go to your user root directory afterwards to find it. (For example, mine would be "C:\Documents and Settings\RTB".)

Oh, and as for your problem, Poxag... You need to name the vertex file "test.bin". 1234 to 4321.exe seems to give me that error if the test.bin doesn't exist.

Top Bottom