• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tutorial: Editing Vertices! ~Gallery Updated (2/8/10)~

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Marth as a furry? Oh hell no. *runs from fanboys*
Still, good job on it. I also like Mewtwo in my Brawl. :3

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
So, I got my model(or, vertices rather) to display as desired in anim8r.

But forget editing them, this programing is so effing tricky.. I can't even zoom in. I just might have to wait for Pharrox to exist again.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
So, I got my model(or, vertices rather) to display as desired in anim8r.

But forget editing them, this programing is so effing tricky.. I can't even zoom in. I just might have to wait for Pharrox to exist again.
You can zoom in, it just seems tricky. You have to click on the Eye thing, then one of the options that shows up looks like a little square with arrows in it, click on that and drag to the right, you should zoom in.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Nevermind this I figured it out. This anim8or isn't a user very friendly program.

Can I click and drag points? I turned on snap to grid but it doesn't seem to do anything since I can only nudge points around with the arrow keys.

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
I have alittle pair of quetions:
-Where can I find the William's converter?, I can't fint it on this fourms T-T
Can you put my little tutoria (see page 6) to edit the vertex on 3d max please ^^ I think for many be easier to use this program

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
as for peaches hair... find what polygon it is in the veiwer, look at the vertex set for that polygon, and find the vertex set with the same id number.

also, you shouldnt have to convert dec to hex after a while, cuz the position generally tends to stay the same... so you get used to it
Thanks for the tip, and yeah... I just kinda guess and check now. Not too big of a deal, kinda can see the general area.
EDIT: Akari, can your tutorial be used with 3ds Max 2010? I cannot seem to import the .3ds file into it ;~;

stickman

Smash Apprentice

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
@Lateralus, yes it can be imported directly into Max 2010. (Make sure you use "import" instead of clicking and dragging it in) And make sure that vertex selection is being used (it isn't used by default)

@fortwaffles, if you use Akari's guide, I have an extra step based on that to get it to work in Blender

now for creepy pic:
http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/stickman221/?action=view&current=epicfail.png
I did use import, it gave me some error saying something along the lines of the file format is not supported. I have a feeling I need a plugin, but I cannot find any.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
i dont know then. i don't have any plugins installed ( i just downloaded max a week ago :p )
but i got it to work somehow. i'll try to see if i can do it again

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
i dont know then. i don't have any plugins installed ( i just downloaded max a week ago :p )
but i got it to work somehow. i'll try to see if i can do it again
Alright, give it a shot.

@Fort, I would, but, Project Rosalina is well underway ;~;.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Can someone help me understand this step?

5. delete the fisrt 4 lines (the ones not colored. should be 64 bytes)
Are we deleting the VERY first 4 lines of the model0? If so, why is his hex editor not at the beginning? <_>

stickman

Smash Apprentice
@Lateralus-
Import your 3ds file with the import function. Uncheck convert units.
To the right of the top right preview box, you are on the 'create' tab. Click the 'modify' tab and then click the vertex selection (the button with 3 red dots)

EDIT: @TheSilenceOfNoOne, no, you are deleting the first four lines of the vertex group file. It is implied that you are using a hex editor... how else would you delete it? :D

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
No, I mean his hex editor is not at the beginning of the file... Which is confusing me. Do I open the out.bin file and delete the first 64 bytes?

EDIT: Oh ok.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
@Lateralus-
Import your 3ds file with the import function. Uncheck convert units.
To the right of the top right preview box, you are on the 'create' tab. Click the 'modify' tab and then click the vertex selection (the button with 3 red dots)

EDIT: @TheSilenceOfNoOne, no, you are deleting the first four lines of the vertex group file. It is implied that you are using a hex editor... how else would you delete it? :D
Okay, thank you for the help.

I click import and I get this: http://i46.tinypic.com/t8rcb6.jpg
D:<

stickman

Smash Apprentice
Are you able to at least open that file in anim8or? at least make sure that it is in proper anim8or format and has a .3ds extension to it.

Gundamsdboy

Smash Apprentice
This is very cool, but I don't understand it at all. Could someone here use this and the shoulder-less Samus to give Samus chunky Megaman legs, and perhaps a rounder head and/or neck? That would be awesome! :laugh:

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Tomorrow, I'll start to work on a Princess Shroob. So hype tiem. :3

And fortwaffles, my bro said thanks. :3

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Tomorrow, I'll start to work on a Princess Shroob. So hype tiem. :3

And fortwaffles, my bro said thanks. :3
no problem.
and message for everyone, does anyone want to see another fire emblem character (female) (not lyn)

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't seem like Fox Marth works, which is sad because it looks great. Other than that, great tutorial... it's too bad I probably won't be able to make much out of it. I never could manage anything decent with 3D models... well, except for when I put Tails' head on Volnutt's body for Garrysmod. XD

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't seem like Fox Marth works, which is sad because it looks great. Other than that, great tutorial... it's too bad I probably won't be able to make much out of it. I never could manage anything decent with 3D models... well, except for when I put Tails' head on Volnutt's body for Garrysmod. XD
Actually Fox Marth Works for me, but Mewtwo doesn't. I believe that if you have a .pac already applied to the character and that .pac applies to the character as a whole instead of to a certain costume, then it won't read the new .pac. I have Kari on my Lucario and didn't move the files before placing mewtwo in so mewtwo didn't work. Does your Marth have another .pac on him like Roy? If so that might be the problem. That or the character has a fit motion file that needs to be moved.

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
Actually Fox Marth Works for me, but Mewtwo doesn't. I believe that if you have a .pac already applied to the character and that .pac applies to the character as a whole instead of to a certain costume, then it won't read the new .pac. I have Kari on my Lucario and didn't move the files before placing mewtwo in so mewtwo didn't work. Does your Marth have another .pac on him like Roy? If so that might be the problem. That or the character has a fit motion file that needs to be moved.
I thought that too, but then I tested it and even if Fox Marth is the only file in the folder, it doesn't work. Everything else in there does.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
I thought that too, but then I tested it and even if Fox Marth is the only file in the folder, it doesn't work. Everything else in there does.
Open the .pac in BrawlBox, convert into .pcs, and put it in your character folder.
???
PROFIT

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
Open the .pac in BrawlBox, convert into .pcs, and put it in your character folder.
???
PROFIT
A little late, already figured it out. I couldn't remember if .PAC was what it needed or .PCS, but then I checked my other textures out and noticed. Excuse me for figuring it'd be something I could just download and use; I'm such a fool for simply forgetting a small detail!

Thanks for spouting a tired old meme to try and look cool while helping me though. You're really clever and I'm sure everyone gets a laugh out of your posts.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
A little late, already figured it out. I couldn't remember if .PAC was what it needed or .PCS, but then I checked my other textures out and noticed. Excuse me for figuring it'd be something I could just download and use; I'm such a fool for simply forgetting a small detail!

Thanks for spouting a tired old meme to try and look cool while helping me though. You're really clever and I'm sure everyone gets a laugh out of your posts.
Aw, your mad. I'm so sorry, I wasn't trying to be cool. If I sounded like a moron, forgive me, I wasn't trying to offend or make you look dumb. Sorry, again.

And sorry if I was late to post. Please forgive me.

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Help.

I have a problem.

I download your tools.

I found my Vertex group I would like to edit. I exported that and the model as well.

I added to the lines in the vertemp.OBJ so it is equal with the number of vertices/points.

I save it as test.bin. I open it in 1234 To 4321.exe and got out.bin. I open Out and delete the first four lines and then the groups of four zeros below.

I then open vertemp.OBJ in Anim8tor and click export, and save as object.3ds.

I open the 3ds file and I got this:

Should the Highlighted section be the section I past the copied section from the OUT.bin file?

What did I do wrong if I did?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I have a problem.

I download your tools.

I found my Vertex group I would like to edit. I exported that and the model as well.

I added to the lines in the vertemp.OBJ so it is equal with the number of vertices/points.

I save it as test.bin. I open it in 1234 To 4321.exe and got out.bin. I open Out and delete the first four lines and then the groups of four zeros below.

I then open vertemp.OBJ in Anim8tor and click export, and save as object.3ds.

I open the 3ds file and I got this:
*snip*
Should the Highlighted section be the section I past the copied section from the OUT.bin file?

What did I do wrong if I did?
That would be where you paste your out.bin contents. If it doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong, what vertex group from what character did you use?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
that looks right, but it looks like you are only using like... 5 vertices? is that right?

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Do you know what I just noticed? This could be used as a model injector. Well, steps 13-17 could, with a few tweaks.

REQUESTING VILE
'S MODELS
TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. CAPS IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Do you know what I just noticed? This could be used as a model injector. Well, steps 13-17 could, with a few tweaks.

REQUESTING VILE
'S MODELS
TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. CAPS IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.
I guess the add-on to that fad never became popular enough. Don't forget the "AND I KNOW HOW TO ROLL!" at the end of CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR THE COOL.

Top Bottom