• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnips And Their Uses

Book of Alex

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, how's it going?

I was watching some Peach videos (Mainly Vanz and Cort) and it seemed like they didn't really take turnips seriously. I started wondering, since my own edgeguard process (Against Fox and Falco, anyway) involves a decent amount of turniping to stop their Up B/Side B if I don't feel like I have time to float and Bair.
Should I not be using turnips as much? I don't have any videos of my playing, and I wouldn't consider myself to be good or even average as a player, so I'd love some feedback on the topic.

Thanks!

Cia

das kwl
I'm not really sure what videos you were watching, but I always thought I used TONS of turnips (depending on the match up)

Anyway, turnips are best for aiding in Peach's approach and edge guards, they aren't really helpful in close combat so if have the offensive advantage, i more than likely wouldn't pull a turnip.

But yeah, check out that guide that C0nn0r just posted. It's extremely helpful.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
i 2nd them both,even watching armada, he uses countless turnip on ledge guarding. and like u said, if u can float to initiate an attack, then turnips are deff the best edge guard short of a dair/nair peach combo

Book of Alex

Smash Rookie
I'm not really sure what videos you were watching, but I always thought I used TONS of turnips (depending on the match up).
Mostly I was watching the RoM matches vs Lovage. It seemed like he would always Up B and you'd just kinda throw the turnip you had under him. Normally when I'm in that situation I'd jump and throw. What's your thoughts on that?

EDIT: Also, I'd just like to make it known that I may just be stupid and not understand what exactly is being done in the videos. It's definitely a possibility.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Turnips aren't that great for edge guarding. They are super easy to avoid (or catch). nair, bair, and fair are all better options most of the time. The only character I think they are necessary to edge guard with is Marth, cause is sword is dumb.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I kinda gotta disagree with ^^^

Turnips stop illusion and will hit if spacies are 'charging' their firefox.

If I'm far away I usually try to pull a turnip and dash throw it into the sweetspotted part to block illusions.

And Armada has been doing a LOT of great edgeguards with turnips on firefoxes. He blocks the option to firefox from above by throwing a turnip in the area where spacies are likely to try to firefox.

Its definitely something to look into imo.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I kinda gotta disagree with ^^^

Turnips stop illusion and will hit if spacies are 'charging' their firefox.

If I'm far away I usually try to pull a turnip and dash throw it into the sweetspotted part to block illusions.
Bair, Fair and Nair do all of this, and better because you have a much better chance of hitting them with these moves.

And Armada has been doing a LOT of great edgeguards with turnips on firefoxes. He blocks the option to firefox from above by throwing a turnip in the area where spacies are likely to try to try to firefox.
Yes, this is the best use for turnips as far as edge guarding is concerned. Throwing turnips in places you don't want your opponent to be is much more effective than trying to hit them with turnips.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea, but peach is slow so you might not be able to reach the edge in time. Its also not very likely you'll hit a spacie with an aerial when they try to sweetspot illusion.

Throwing turnips where they are likely to go is still utilizing turnips by blocking areas to firefox.

In any case, you shouldn't overlook the idea of using turnips to edgeguard.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
IIRC, the turnip distance throw tier list goes like:

1: backwards smash throw
2: dash throw
3: smash throw
4: down-b throw/forward throw
5: turn around throw
6: jumping forward throw
7: jumping backwards throw
8: jab throw

think that's all of them, but yeah all the distances and angles are different, use them wisely to ledgeguard effectively. I tend to just use 2 turnips maximum while ledgeguarding, any more and i've taken too long and could've used a better option, usually an aerial

SmashMomma

Smash Rookie
Personally, I throw enough Turnips to start my own Turnip patch. Especially when fighting against Marth.
When I am not doing that, I am usually down smashing my *** off. lol

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Turnip spam like Pink Shinobi or Sastopher, lol.

Turnips are great for edge guarding, though. Especially Marth, lol. Also, depending on how far out they are...it really screws with Falcon/Ganon. That's why it's good to know the distances. It can also screw with Luigi's recovery a bit as well. I like Turnip -> Aerial edge guards, too. The turnip will keep them occupied just long enough to get that Aerial. It also can screw their recovery up all together for characters like Samus or Link, lol.

Mafia- don't forget DJ -> Turnip. I found that using that is a good distance and helps you reach certain angles at just the right time.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Turnips are ****en delicious and they're nutritious.

Oh. you mean... its uses in melee...

They do sooo much... seriously...

Mainly good for like controlling space imo.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Turnips onstage are more of an extension of Peach's body with low priority but lingering hitboxes in special circumstances (clinking a turnip with an attack, or the bounce from shield, etc). They're really slow to pull, though, and she's fairly vulnerably while holding one, so I don't feel you can "camp" them in the same manner you could camp with Fox's lasers or Falco's lasers unless you're fighting an awful character like Zelda, Ness, Bowser, etc.

Peach can't really outcamp most characters anyway, so they're more useful for setup and general spacing stuff.

Offstage they're a projectile that taps the space animals out of their Illusion and Firefox startup. And they make convenient floating walls for edgeguarding characters like Peach, who can float really high and for a long time. Turnip drop vs Marth is also good. And I guess you can spam them at some characters like Samus and have them die if you hit one.

CookBadGrades

Smash Cadet
Turnips onstage are more of an extension of Peach's body with low priority but lingering hitboxes in special circumstances
Yeah, depending on what turnip you get, they're kind of like peach's attacks, but like a dislocated hitbox. Like just the normal one is like a jab, the big eyes is like down air [i'm doing this percent wise] and then of course stitchy face or granite turnip, is forward air or d-smash.

Yeah they linger if like, your throwing them repeatedly into someone's shield. like if someone is shielding your turnip, it will keep coming back so you can repeatedly press A and it will keep getting grabbed by you and then thrown again, and it either breaks their shield, or if they come out of it, hits them and you can combo from it.

Top Bottom