• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tucson, AZ Social/Rankings Thread (Updated 5/7/10!)

For our Tucson Power Rankings, how should order be decided?

• Panelist system

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Challenges system

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Weekly Round Robin results

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters

forward

Smash Champion
I'm going to put my list and discussion later today but for now I'll just say that I'm going to put Jackie above Chris. This is Tucson's power ranking and we're pretty much just comparing Tucson, and if they both beat everyone in Tucson but Jackie wins more against Chris than I think Jackie should be above Chris.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Fair enough, but based on tourney results, Chris has been doing better...and attending, more so than Jackie. Chris takes Melee more seriously, he tends to do better against others (seems as though Chris tries harder).

forward

Smash Champion
List:

0. Forward
1. Jetfour
2. GG7
3. RubyIris
4. Silly Kyle
5. Agent Iron
6. Okami
7. Shiv
8. Saet
9. Rusty
10. TommyDerMeister
11. Vash
12. Chubbz
13. Jane

Discussion:

1/2: This is difficult to call because there are arguments for both players to be #1, but no one is putting Jackie above Chris so here's what I got. If you look at the rankings locally, then without a doubt Jackie is better. They are all better than players ranked 3 and lower, and since Jackie beats Chris consistently (so I hear) so Jackie gets #1. If you expand this a little and look at their performance against all of AZ then the results are slightly less concrete but still I think it favors Jackie. Chris sent Rob to losers and almost beat him in losers finals so that is good, but Jackie beat Rob in a crew battle when he was playing more Peach. This is just a theory but I think it is fair to say that if Jackie mained a character who has an advantage in the IC match up then he could have done the same thing. If someone could give me the results of these players against Light and Tai then that would help, but I don't think that any such results would swing heavily in Chris's favor. Chris went to Pat's house and took a game off of HugS, but still, is taking one game off of HugS enough to make you better than a player who consistently beats you? I wouldn't say so. As far as how well they do against me, well, I **** them both equally but they both get lucky against me equally :), so, that does not push the vote in either one's favor.

tl;dr This is the Tucson Power rankings, and I think comparing Tucson to Tucson should be the main factor in determining the rankings, and in that case I think it is clear that Jackie is the better player.

3/4 This is hard to call, Xander has been 3rd for a long time so it's hard to knock him down, but Kyle has been improving so much lately and I believe he will surpass him soon, and it would suck if there wasn't an update on this ranking for another 3 months if Kyle surpasses him in the next two weeks. Xander has been consistent enough in the past to keep his #3 spot though, and there's no reason he can't step his game up to stay ahead of Kyle. So, this is fine.

Everything below this I think is accurate in that each player defeats all of them players below them consistently.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
1. Forward
2. GamerGuitarist7
3. Jetfour
4. Rubyiris
4. Silly Kyle
6. Spencer
6. Shiv
6. OkamiBW
8. Rusty
9. Saet
10. TommyDerMeister
10. Vash
12. Piman
12. Chubbz
12. Jane
12. John M.
16. DerpDaBerp
I edited out Rob's list with Chris' just to say to everyone so that they know- Chris' list DOESN'T account for when I play Sheik. Just my other characters.

Kyle we should play more so that I can take a **** on you more with Falcon.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
List:

0. Forward
1. Jetfour
2. GG7
3. RubyIris
4. Silly Kyle
5. Agent Iron
6. Okami
7. Shiv
8. Saet
9. Rusty
10. TommyDerMeister
11. Vash
12. Chubbz
13. Jane

Discussion:

1/2: This is difficult to call because there are arguments for both players to be #1, but no one is putting Jackie above Chris so here's what I got. If you look at the rankings locally, then without a doubt Jackie is better. They are all better than players ranked 3 and lower, and since Jackie beats Chris consistently (so I hear) so Jackie gets #1. If you expand this a little and look at their performance against all of AZ then the results are slightly less concrete but still I think it favors Jackie. Chris sent Rob to losers and almost beat him in losers finals so that is good, but Jackie beat Rob in a crew battle when he was playing more Peach. This is just a theory but I think it is fair to say that if Jackie mained a character who has an advantage in the IC match up then he could have done the same thing. If someone could give me the results of these players against Light and Tai then that would help, but I don't think that any such results would swing heavily in Chris's favor. Chris went to Pat's house and took a game off of HugS, but still, is taking one game off of HugS enough to make you better than a player who consistently beats you? I wouldn't say so. As far as how well they do against me, well, I **** them both equally but they both get lucky against me equally :), so, that does not push the vote in either one's favor.

tl;dr This is the Tucson Power rankings, and I think comparing Tucson to Tucson should be the main factor in determining the rankings, and in that case I think it is clear that Jackie is the better player.

3/4 This is hard to call, Xander has been 3rd for a long time so it's hard to knock him down, but Kyle has been improving so much lately and I believe he will surpass him soon, and it would suck if there wasn't an update on this ranking for another 3 months if Kyle surpasses him in the next two weeks. Xander has been consistent enough in the past to keep his #3 spot though, and there's no reason he can't step his game up to stay ahead of Kyle. So, this is fine.

Everything below this I think is accurate in that each player defeats all of them players below them consistently.
LOL @ last statement.

As far as Jackie and Chris against Tai....when Jackie played serious characters on Tai and all, he beat Tai, which included with Sheik and Falcon. Chris is 2-1 against Tai. Chris is 1-1 with Light, and Jackie has never faced Light in tournament.

forward

Smash Champion
Spencer: I don't know what you're loling about, if you disagree then make your arguement.

And Kyle will **** your Falcon, guaranteed.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I've never played Light at all in Melee haha. I've only played him in Brawl doubles.

I thought Chris does better against Sean? I know he's beaten Sean more
when Sean isn't warmed up, then Chris stops playing to keep the winning percent higher jajaja
. I thought Chris wins a bigger percentage of the time, but the way Sean posted it doesn't make it seem so. It's hard for me to come up with an accurate number because of course Sean will Sean anybody that beats them
except Wobbles :p
. The last time I remember taking as much as 1/4 of the matches off of Sean's spacies with my Falcon, I noticed he was trying **** like uthrow > shine > bair on me at high percents so it seemed clear to me Sean wasn't playing to win. Only Sean knows the answer to that but from the sounds of the last post he makes it sound like the percentage of Chris/me versus him is insignificantly different.

Right now I think Chris would do better versus Tony for sure because for some reason I believe that knee against M2's shield with gentleman is **** and I can't do that consistently at all. Wobbles learned Chris pretty well and beat him convincingly later. In my second set versus Wobbles, the matches were closer. So for that day Chris is better, in the future I think I would do better. But now is not the future so in that scenario, Chris wins.

/random rant for no reason, I'm going to the Italian market now woop woop

AXE 09

Smash Master
hmmmm.... an argument for who is better between Chris and Jackie?

Honestly.... that's pretty hard to say. I kind of assumed that we always kept Chris above Jackie simply because Chris actually attends tournaments and stuff. It's kinda hard to tell who's better than who, but Chris is more active (or WAS more active as far as i was concerned) than Jackie. Lately though, it seems like Jackie's been more involved with the smash community, but i really don't know lol.

Anyways... I honestly can't say who's better out of the two. Both of them play COMPLETELY different styles.

You wanna know what I think?

I think that both of them should play a set, best 3 of 5. The winner takes the #1 spot :) (I've always liked the idea of a challenging system. Without a challenging system, people always argue about who's better than who. I say, in the words of Masta Deltron, let the controllers do the talking).

And thank you to everyone who said happy birthday to me :)

dairspike

Smash Cadet
I am definitely not more active Jeff lol what makes you say that? I post more because Chris's computer was broken for a while. That's the only way I am more active that I know of.

You didn't answer who does better against YOU though :p

Jane

Smash Hero
I think that both of them should play a set, best 3 of 5. The winner takes the #1 spot :) (I've always liked the idea of a challenging system. Without a challenging system, people always argue about who's better than who. I say, in the words of Masta Deltron, let the controllers do the talking)
my nigga axe always spittin truth n shit

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
in the words of Masta Deltron
Got 'uhm!

10char-coalholdingmagikarps

And Jeff won't say who does better against him. In Jeff's eyes, even if he beats Mango consistently, he'll still say that it is debatable whether say...my roommate is better than Jeff or not.

Or he'll avoid the question with a "*looks around all twitchy* ... Yo...what it do?"

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol I must agree. I <3 AZ too. Way better than NM lol. Go look in our thread and you'll see trolling, complaining, and discussion over dying games. Sigh. GET ME OUTA HERE!!!!

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I wish Brawl was a dying game. That Melee gets sponsored by MLG again.

In other news, have you guys heard that the new Pokemon games are going to be Pokemon Black and White.

I call Pokemon Black.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Spencer: I don't know what you're loling about, if you disagree then make your arguement.

And Kyle will **** your Falcon, guaranteed.
You weren't there at Chris' the other day to see the almighty power of my Hax$ colored Falcon.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE Rk. Jesus

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
My bet is that the world map in Pokemon Black and White will be based on the Shikoku island of Japan. Also, the three starters will probably be fire, grass, and water, with some secondary type that isn't in the first evolution. :p

Light_

Smash Apprentice
I hate the challenge system. Just because you can beat someone doesn't make you the better player overall. I beat Lucky and Scar at the california tournament. Does that make me better than them? Silly Killy and Dark can go suprisingly toe-to-toe with me, does that make them almost as good as me? It should be overall performance. But then again, you guys did say this was mainly for Tucson only so I'll be quiet now.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Tucson copied SV's system... We had such a small scene at the time, so this system actually worked quite well, and still look how far Jeff's come, I've come etc..., Joey, SV etc. It's just something that works for us, and Tucson it may/may not work as well, but it keeps the competetiveness alive..

Hence one more reason

SV > Tucson

=p

forward

Smash Champion
Light, I agree. I think the challenge system can work though because we're taking data and making the rankings in a smaller pool of players. Comparing your overall skill to Lucky and Scar means you are comparing the skill of a lot more players.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I edited out Rob's list with Chris' just to say to everyone so that they know- Chris' list DOESN'T account for when I play Sheik. Just my other characters.

Kyle we should play more so that I can take a **** on you more with Falcon.
Not true at all, you're just scared to play sheik against kyle for pride reasons and john about how you don't like the matchup.

I took your sheik into consideration, and i still think kyle is better than you now.

DJMirror

Smash Master
GG7 What happen to your asian girl avatar?! O____o Sup Okami, Tai, Forward, Dualcats, Light, Axe and GG7
(again)

-Jkun

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Hi Jason, I miss you, Matt, Cameron, Anthony, Dave, (even McCain), but most of all Ryan. I think I'll be at the Grev tournament on May 29th or whatever date.

Edit: This is from my tournament thread. Important addition:
Bring roughly $20 to the tournament if you plan on doing singles, doubles, and going to IHOP. If that means you need to go to the bank or talk to your mom/dad; do that now before the tournament.

AXE 09

Smash Master
GG7 What happen to your asian girl avatar?! O____o Sup Okami, Tai, Forward, Dualcats, Light, Axe and GG7
(again)

-Jkun
What's up dude! :p

Hey guys.... Can anyone house me and Tai this Saturday night for the tournament? If nobody responds, we won't be able to go :(

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
If it comes down to it, we (Jared and I) can hold as many of you guys as you're willing to fit on the floor of our dorm. Could probably fit one, maybe two people comfortably; and like 4 people uncomfortably. So, basically, in response to Jeff's post, we can house Phoenix. In response to Tai's post, we could, but you wouldn't want us to house Phoenix. If that makes sense.

Top Bottom