• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tucson, AZ Social/Rankings Thread (Updated 5/7/10!)

For our Tucson Power Rankings, how should order be decided?

• Panelist system

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Challenges system

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Weekly Round Robin results

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters

AXE 09

Smash Master
dude i miss you man!!! i wanna go to NM lol. you guys seem so chill there, i wanna hang out for sure! and melee XD

Joey: sorry i haven't been picking up lately, i'm always around a bunch of people and usually can't pick up... i'll call you tomorrow (tuesday)

tw1n

Smash Champion
Dude for sure hahaha. Maybe we'll host some random Nov tourney just so you have a reason to come here and smash =] Man I miss AZ. I need to find a way to get out there again

Other then that we'll have to wait for Pound 4 :'( are you guys gonna try coming to the NM tournament in Feb. Its a ways away so there's plenty of time to plan lol.

Ok so I just watched these matches and I have to ask
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwIWG8POs0

What the F was that at 9:00!!!!!! Lol super wave dash pikachu style huh? From all I can tell is you collided with thundershock and bam! Forward gets **** on lol

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Melee tomorrow at 3:30 or 4:30 til like 8 or 9 in the TV lounge possibly? If we have 4 or less people, games room instead on the big TV.

Should be in attendance: Xander, Nick, Jeff, and myself

Call Jeff or I (or Nick, though I don't want to advertise without his permission) if you're down!

I have a cube (lent by Nick), but bring an extra cube if possible someone? Nick perhaps?

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I should be free tomorrow. Might bring some people too, we'll see and I'll bring a cube if I can...but I'll most likely not be coming from my dorm

and yeah guys I do taekwondo, and its awesome! I love sparring, but demo and forms are pretty sweet too...I did ATA for like 8 years and now I'm starting Olympic TKD here at the U of A, and its pretty cool as well. I got to 3rd degree black too for whoever was wondering lol

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
i challenge you twin A don't take me lightly even though I haven't done it in 3 years

I got first in U.S. open, national qualifiers, junior olympics and that las vegas tourney and I beat one of steven lopez's student
*whistles*
dang dude. yeah I'd love to spar lol.

And for those who don't know, the Lopez's are like the first family of TKD, almost thought to be unbeatable until the Koreans FINALLY beat them (the two brothers and their sister) at these past olympics lol.

ATA TKD!? Last time I sparred someone who did that they kept turning and almost getting kicked in the back so they could avoid getting points scored against them. Decent strategy BUT getting kicked in the back is horribly dangerous and it makes for bad habits should you need to defend yourself in real life situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REG3-Wb5gM

The only thing I didn't like about TKD sparring was all the limitations you have (no blocking with your knees, etc). As well i dont like that they slowly teach you to keep your hands down to make for better mobility O.o

We'll definitely spar you guys :D

If we include grappling then we'll definitely spar :p

AZenith

Smash Apprentice
i'm pretty good at knife fights, anyone wanna spar? MM 5$

no seriously, you all better still be in Tucson around Christmas time when I come back, I want to play all the new guys and crush some melee dreams.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
*whistles*
dang dude. yeah I'd love to spar lol.

And for those who don't know, the Lopez's are like the first family of TKD, almost thought to be unbeatable until the Koreans FINALLY beat them (the two brothers and their sister) at these past olympics lol.

ATA TKD!? Last time I sparred someone who did that they kept turning and almost getting kicked in the back so they could avoid getting points scored against them. Decent strategy BUT getting kicked in the back is horribly dangerous and it makes for bad habits should you need to defend yourself in real life situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REG3-Wb5gM

The only thing I didn't like about TKD sparring was all the limitations you have (no blocking with your knees, etc). As well i dont like that they slowly teach you to keep your hands down to make for better mobility O.o

We'll definitely spar you guys :D

If we include grappling then we'll definitely spar :p
joey may be small but he is a tough one, he got suspended for kicking a kid in the head lol, and he can keep up with me in grappling, and im twice his size.( I do MMA)

i really wanna come and visit az again

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman
see carltons smart he doesn't underestimate me thats what makes him better than
everyone else jk

piman are you any good though cause alot of people are just fakes

so far from everywhere ive fought at only california, texas, and new york are any good

EDIT: and twin A you can score by hitting their back now they just applied it and you know im that asian kid right

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
haha i'm alright...little out of practice though but i'll try to get back into it just for you joey : p

on another note - thanks for the smash fest today guys, it was a good show. Had fun, and it was great i think my fox got a little better...and maybe my marth a little worse, woe is the life of me haha. good to see everyone : )

Twin_A

Smash Champion
see carltons smart he doesn't underestimate me thats what makes him better than
everyone else jk

piman are you any good though cause alot of people are just fakes

so far from everywhere ive fought at only california, texas, and new york are any good

EDIT: and twin A you can score by hitting their back now they just applied it and you know im that asian kid right
I never underestimate anyone.

And from the sounds of it you'll beat me haha. But its still fun. I'd much MUCH rather do MMA but if you wanted to just do TKD I'd be down.

I didn't know about the kick in the back rule haha.

BlackKnight23 said:
joey may be small but he is a tough one, he got suspended for kicking a kid in the head lol, and he can keep up with me in grappling, and im twice his size.( I do MMA)
Nice! Whats your background for MMA? (ie wrestling, kickboxing, etc) or did you just jump straight in? I've got an extensive wrestling background so the thought of grappling makes me pumped haha.

Oh yeah don't take this as **** talk or "I'm better than you because..." talk, I actually like when people are better because then you can learn :D

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman
hey thats exactly how I think but about the grappling thing its not exactly what im best I just know some moves and I only did it for about 3 months I think but ill still do it but ill most likely lose but w/e

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
Nice! Whats your background for MMA? (ie wrestling, kickboxing, etc) or did you just jump straight in? I've got an extensive wrestling background so the thought of grappling makes me pumped haha.

Oh yeah don't take this as **** talk or "I'm better than you because..." talk, I actually like when people are better because then you can learn :D
It all good man i understand, lol. I have done alot, i have TKD but i stopped doing it because i got bored. So i moved on to some traditional stuff and practiced on my own. Then i met this guy who was awesome at kung-fu and he taught me some stuff. I did some MMA training to get in shape but i spar with people all the time.

Im kinda of a freelance right now, and just like to study a little bit of everything to be well rounded.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
It all good man i understand, lol. I have done alot, i have TKD but i stopped doing it because i got bored. So i moved on to some traditional stuff and practiced on my own. Then i met this guy who was awesome at kung-fu and he taught me some stuff. I did some MMA training to get in shape but i spar with people all the time.

Im kinda of a freelance right now, and just like to study a little bit of everything to be well rounded.
Well there ya go. Thats why I joined TKD lol. To get mre flexible and to improve my kicking because it was my worst aspect. I have good punching and excellent grappling, now I have decent kicking lol.

Although if sparring I tend to go for leg kicks anyways. Just now my power and speed is waaay better haha.

NOOO! said:
hey thats exactly how I think but about the grappling thing its not exactly what im best I just know some moves and I only did it for about 3 months I think but ill still do it but ill most likely lose but w/e
Win, lose, doesn't matter (unless its life, death, or respect). Learning is key :D

Dude YEAH! is mentioned in this video! :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhLLMXMFKTk&feature=related

Twin_A

Smash Champion
That was the first Trick I learned lol. Before I stopped practicing I was able to do that as well as the 540 kick, B twist, and Aerial :D

Great job tho! Did your back get sore like mine did? (I did it nonstop for hours though after learning it cuz I was so excited lol).

What trick are you looking to learn next?

tw1n

Smash Champion
I call it a WTF kick, because I have no idea WTF that is.
Preach it hahaha.

Lol this room sounds like its full of people who'll kick my teeth in... literally.

But my brother knows what happens if he throws a kick at me and is even the slightest bit too slow :D

But unless it has grappling involved... I'll lose. Sigh. That's my major in terms of sparring. i have decent punches and lousy kicks. Its been way too long since I've been in any sport =[

Jane

Smash Hero
lmao!!!! that just made my day

sparring, huh? i bet i could take all of you!!!

.....in melee ^^

i suck at fighting in real life lol. i'll just stick to melee

hahaha after watching that video you quoted, i just had to listen to lil jon for like half an hour xD

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol Kyle that black mages in concert vid was awesome!!!

Lol hey Axe. "If I mess up, my dads gonna beat me..." hahaha

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
black mages are toooooooooo good. i heard they're playing in chicago in a few months

well not THE black mages but nobuo + his american black mages group

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Hey guys! It's me, Rob! I'm from SoCal! Most of you here already know me so I don't know why I'm introducing myself!

Hosting: Myself
Cohosting: Jeff (Whether he knows it or not!)
Co-cohosting: Nick and Elvis?

Actually, I don't even know why we would need hosts or anything except for the fact that someone needs to answer phone calls and let people into the TV lounge and organize stuff and stuff and stuff. Whee! I'm high on sleepiness!

So...I (let's make this clear for skimmers) might organize another smashfest tomorrow, Friday, October 2nd which is actually today. I like to make everything all official looking because it looks more legit and is much more awesome. And it gets hyped more. So, I'll put the information first and then I'll throw in my two cents about what's been going on and what will go on. Sorry for such short notice! Even with the short notice, though, last time, just through the phone and like one day, we had like 11 people or something?

What: UA Smashfest

When: Friday, Oct. 2nd, 6 or 7 PM on* until 4 AM (unless everyone leaves except for Jeff, Elvis, and I like usual)

Where: TV Lounge at the University of Arizona Student Union Memorial Center

How to get there: Get to Speedway by the University of Arizona. Turn on Mountain. Park from the north entrance of the parking garage (after 8 if you don't want to pay any fee). Also, you can find a parking meter anywhere on campus, which should be free after 5. Also, also! If Friday counts as the weekend (and I don't think it does), then parking in the garage is free the whole day.

What to bring: Controller, TV**, Gamecube**, powerstrips/extension cords**

First things first, in the TV lounge, there are 4 TV's. Most likely one will be used (at the least), but we can pretty much guarantee 1 or 2, especially if we have an extension cord (which Jeff might have). Secondly, I will bring a cube (which is Nick's), and perhaps Nick could bring his other cube as well. This would be 2 set ups, or accomodations for 8 people. One more set up would probably suffice. Hopefully we can get a set up of doubles and two set ups of singles going. That would be ideal, in my eyes. If we have 4 people or less, we may just go to the arcade to play (which is right next door) on the big screen in bean bag chairs.

So, I'm moving tomorrow from my temporary dorm room to my permenant one. I am moving at 12:45 after my single Japanese class which ends at like 12-ish. Therefore, I don't know how long it will take me to move. If everything runs super smoothly, it could take me only an hour. If stuff runs longer, then I may not be done until maybe like 5 or so. I just say this to err on the side of safety. And I may have to do some sort of lab write up with my group or something. At any rate, I'll call y'all or post or something depending on the change. If someone like Jeff will be there the whole time, won't matter whether I'm there or not.

I've smashed every day for the past week between 1 hour and a half and...let me count for a second...12 hours a day. Anything else, I'd say it's a little much...But this is melee we're talking about! In fact, if we start making this a regular deal on Fridays, Saturdays, and/or Sundays, I might call them "But This is Melee We're Talking About" Smashfests. ****. Kay, so anyways...

If you need to reach me, call or text me or Jeff. Don't call me between 11:00 and 11:50 AM. I won't pick up for certain. I probably won't know until like 1:00 PM anyways. If you don't have our numbers, well, get them from someone who does, really. If you are new to this thread or something, well, you can either look back throughout the thread for my number on like page 35 or something or you can just post here. I'll probably check this thread around 10:15 AM and 12:15 PM before the move, as well as possibly after the move. Anyways, hope y'all would like to smash! Also, here's my question to you guys. Would you want to make a regular day or two a week that we aim to smash here at the UofA? Leave a comment or video response telling me if you would like to me to organize this!

Planned Time of Smashfest/Chance of occurring: 6:00 PM til 4 AM/80%

~狼, おおかみ, OkamiBW

P.S. Let me just put this in once again to make sure there isn't any misunderstanding. Call Jeff or I first before getting in your car, bus, plane, ship, or whatever to make sure that the smashfest is on!

*Subject to change. I'll call who I have in my phonebook and Jeff will call the rest?
**Not so necessary, but would help

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
We'll probably hold another smashfest on Saturday or Sunday as well. Perhaps you could make it then?

Edit: So I don't waste more space! :p Yeah, I was talking to ya, Jane. Hope to see you over the weekend.

Also, Nick, I'll talk to you about it tomorrow, but might need your help in running this if both Jeff and I are busy for like 2 hours during it...and by running it I mean watching your cube, lol.

Top Bottom