• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tristate Gaming - SSBM Tournament - Elmsford, NY - 2/18/07

Nintendude

Smash Hero
When:
Sunday, February 18, 2007, 2:00 PM

Where:
The Gaming Theater at Sportime USA
380 Saw Mill River Rd.
Elmsford , NY 10523
914-592-0111

Description:
TGT and TOURNAMENT SUNDAY PRESENTS:

Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament XVI

The tournament will be 1v1 - Double Elimination
$20 Entry Fee
Free low-tier tournament for all singles participants.

Tournament will be held @
THE GAMING THEATER
380 Saw Mill River Rd.
Inside Sportime USA
Elmsford, NY 10523

www.thegamingtheater.com/events.html
914-592-0111

WINNERS GET 50% OF THE POT

70% to First Place, 30% to Second Place
(i.e. if $400 POT, $200 gets divided into $140 for First Place and $60 for Second Place)

Rules:
MLG Rules, but if you end up playing a newb (and there usually are a few) it doesn't really matter. We all know what is fair and what isn't fair, and if you have a question just ask someone reputable.

Sets are best of 3.
Winners/Losers finals are best of 5.
Grand Finals are best of 5, but if you are coming from the loser's bracket you need to win two best of 5 sets.

For more information about future TGT events see: http://lanparty.meetup.com/150/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last tournament was a blast despite the swarm of random newbs and the computer crash. Sol really stepped it up! Will he defend his title? Come and find out!

MJ decided to change the organization of the two tournaments. Now, singles is $20 and low-tier is free if you entered singles. This was his decision, not mine, so that's the way it has to be. Also, he has changed his policy on the losers bracket thing. If you are coming to the finals from the losers bracket you must beat the opponent in two sets. Apparently he wasn't aware of this rule last time.

PLEASE BRING GCNS/SSBM DISCS!!!
List of stuff:

The Gaming Theater: 3 GCNs / 2 SSBMs
Ruroni: 1 SSBM / 2 controllers
Total: 3 GCNs / 3 SSBMs + 2 controllers

If you can bring stuff then post it and I'll add you to the list. We can have at most 8 stations, and hopefully we will have that many. TVs are already taken care of by the venue. One thing to be aware of is that not all of these stations will be used for tournament matches, due to lack of chairs (and room for chairs), but more GCNs means more friendlies, which means more fun in the end.

See you all there!

phish-it

Smash Champion
Nintendude said:
Sets are best of 3.
Winners/Losers finals are best of 5.
Grand Finals are best of 7.

Meh. This is what it was last time. What I suggested last time was like the MLG rules.

If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in their respective Open bracket and they played a Best of 3 in the Winners Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 7, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Team A beat Team B 2 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 7 will resume with Game 3 and Team A leading 2 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series.
Since the winner of the winners bracket hasn't been put into losers, they start where they left off.

I personally think this is the most fair and since they abide by these rules in MLG it obviously works.

That or the victor of the losers bracket should have to win 2 best of 5 sets against the victor of the winners, because hasn't been eliminated yet.

I might be going off on a tangent but it's only because I got screwed over last time....

Anyway, I'd be happy to bring a cube + smash again.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Oh, I mentioned the rule change in the bottom but not in the rules section. MJ already said he's adopting the thing where the loser's bracket winner needs to beat the winner's bracket winner in two sets. He also listed the finals on his website as best of 5, not best of 7, so I'll have to ask him about that. I'll also ask him about the set expansion when two people meet for a second time in the bracket.

Tetra

Smash Journeyman
Meh. This is what it was last time. What I suggested last time was like the MLG rules.

Since the winner of the winners bracket hasn't been put into losers, they start where they left off.

I personally think this is the most fair and since they abide by these rules in MLG it obviously works.

That or the victor of the losers bracket should have to win 2 best of 5 sets against the victor of the winners, because hasn't been eliminated yet.

I might be going off on a tangent but it's only because I got screwed over last time....

Anyway, I'd be happy to bring a cube + smash again.

I don't like that MLG rule because alot of times people will meet up again, in the losers bracket, not just in the finals, so It is unfair for to Guy A who lost to Guy B in the winners bracket 2-0 and now has to fight him in the losers bracket (not the finals) and have to beat him like 4-1.

But I'm just saying that because It allows players to mess around more int he Winners knowing they have a second bracket so they can experiement more with different characters.

And Phish I know you are mad about the rules we played with last time, I was upset when I heard thats how they were doing it for now on when I heard the tournament before, and I'm glad they are changing it, but you should have been aware because thats the same way we did it in singles that same day.

Sol- Great matches last time, I'm gonna have to put you away earlier next time :chuckle: :chuckle:

phish-it

Smash Champion
I actually don't care if we do the standard MLG rules or not, but since it's changed to the double 3-5 set it's fine.

Thank God February break is right after this tournament, I'm so glad I don't have to stay up all night finishing up a final after this again...

Sol

Smash Lord
me and tetra have been alternating on takin 1st at this tourney the last 3 times in a row, but if pc comes.......

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Hopefully KF will be able to come to this. If we go, I'll see about talking to the girl who was working there the day I went for one of the tournaments, lol. She was checking me out hardbody, but I couldn't get a chance to talk to her, lol.

_V_

Smash Ace
/Subscribe

I also may go.

Anyone coming through the Oneonta, NY area want to give me a ride? :):)

I'd be happy to help pay for gas and such.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
I will be there with at least 2 other people, probably more like 5 or 6 of us in total. Never been to a real tournament before.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I dont know if I can make it. My store is having a HUGE CS: Source tournament wtih 24 teams ( 5 man teams which = 120 ppl) so they need all the help they can get.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I'll see if I can get second place like I did last time I went to this tournament or especially first, unless PC comes through, lol. I wish there was teams for this tournament.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'll see if I can get second place like I did last time I went to this tournament or especially first, unless PC comes through, lol. I wish there was teams for this tournament.
I think MJ is finalizing the plans to move into the larger space. It's in the back of Sportime, rather than in the front, and it's like 5 times the size! Once that happens there'll be enough room to hold 2v2 at these events.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I think MJ is finalizing the plans to move into the larger space. It's in the back of Sportime, rather than in the front, and it's like 5 times the size! Once that happens there'll be enough room to hold 2v2 at these events.
Will that be where it'll take place This time?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it's still where it was last time. If you go in and you see that the place moved then just go to the back of Sportime and you'll find it.

It's too bad you guys (KF) can't come. I was looking forward to finally playing you all.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
There's 8 TVs but so far there's only going to be 5 Gamecubes so if you want more friendlies bring a Gamecube and Smash.

BleachMan!

Smash Apprentice
yea, i use to go to Sportstime for the smash tournies, but i think that $20 is kinda alot. i understand why you can only win 50% of the pot, but still...it's just not the same!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
yea, i use to go to Sportstime for the smash tournies, but i think that $20 is kinda alot. i understand why you can only win 50% of the pot, but still...it's just not the same!
I also think $20 is a lot but it's hard to find anything cheaper around here, besides the TSA biweeklies. I wish this area was more like SoCal which has lots of really cheap tourneys with good turnouts.

phish-it

Smash Champion
It's not that; our crew may be holding a smashfest the same day, but since it isn't confirmed, we might still attend this.

The Bino

Smash Lord
I will get to u guys within a couple of hours, as of right now i am with RuBar and BAR and we are discussing it

OK i just word from RuBar that everything for the smashfest is a go, but it's up to you guys, i mean if you want you can come to my house and join into the smashfest or you can go to this tourney, im not gonna tell you to go to a certain one, it's your choice... check our thread, it has more info

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'll be attending the tournament anyway since Poughkeepsie is pretty far away. So, I'm assuming Ky, Phish-it, and Sol are going to the Smashfest? With nobody from KF or AvalanchE coming maybe I'll win some money this time:laugh:

The Bino

Smash Lord
hey listen i didn't tell em to not go or nothin like that... i just organized a smashfest to get some training in for my crew before the KF tourney, and it's not like i just organized this to get ppl to not go to this tourney.... and besides you do have someone from AvalanchE coming to this tourney...........Reject will be representing AE at this tourney

Top Bottom