• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

0wnd1zzl3d

Smash Cadet
It's honestly not that big of a deal. It doesn't happen that often, but I understand that if it does, it has the potential to make or break a close game.

I could do without it, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Actually, if you been keeping up with the meta game, they do ban luck from tournaments as much as possible, which is the reason why items are not allowed. That's also why hardly anyone complains about random Bob-Ombs (as items), because they can be disabled, unlike tripping. It's also why sudden death isn't used to decide a winner in the event that it comes up, but rather, they go by who has the lower percent to decide the winner.

I'm beginning to think with the way you post, you don't even seem to understand the competitive mind set.
You misunderstand me.
I mean we ban lucky people. I mean, they're so lucky. They must have won the cosmic lottery or something, and we can't have somebody too lucky winning all the tourneys.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Um... who could be stupid enough to die from tripping?

It's pretty simple, you just roll as soon as you see yourself trip.

Also, I main Falco and I barely trip... barely, less than once each match.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I played at a tournament today. I put in $10. The first round, I was playing against Ike. It was a close match, but I had gotten the upper hand. I was at 50% and he was over 100%. We were both on the far left edge of the stage (Battlefield I think) and he started to charge a Fsmash. So I went to grab him, but, instead, tripped and fell and got hit by the FULL Ike Fsmash. Needless to say, I died. Not the best start to a tournament, and the reason why I'll be keeping a tally of the number of stocks I've lost in tournament play to tripping.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Um... who could be stupid enough to die from tripping?

It's pretty simple, you just roll as soon as you see yourself trip.

Also, I main Falco and I barely trip... barely, less than once each match.
You do know that you are momentarily vulnerable to attacks before you roll right?
Fail

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
You tripped?

YOU MUST GET BACK UP!!!

Hm... tripping. The only good use it has is for escaping some attack that can kill you, and because it isn't intentional, chances of escaping an attack are way to slim. (chances of tripping on the other end of the stage.)

For me, tripping usually happens when I try to to a dash-grab. Plus, every trip that has happened to me saved my a$$, so I can't complain.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I played at a tournament today. I put in $10. The first round, I was playing against Ike. It was a close match, but I had gotten the upper hand. I was at 50% and he was over 100%. We were both on the far left edge of the stage (Battlefield I think) and he started to charge a Fsmash. So I went to grab him, but, instead, tripped and fell and got hit by the FULL Ike Fsmash. Needless to say, I died. Not the best start to a tournament, and the reason why I'll be keeping a tally of the number of stocks I've lost in tournament play to tripping.
Way to fail.
Seriously guys. Promoting mid-air combat. I swear, Sakurai told me himself.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I don't see why that would work anyway, I mean it's not hard getting away from someone when they're hitting you..>_>;
Heh heh, It's just my own preference, lol. Of course tripping doesn't happen all the time... and I'm basing the effectiveness of tripping by chance. (Which uh... isn't at all effective)

Still gettin' used to Brawl here. Sorry if I made you think differently. Can't put things in the right words atm. <_<

I can't even understand my own words right now O_O

alcheato

Smash Ace
I'm seeing so much epic fail in this thread. Someone really needs to close it.

Bottom line: tripping sucks and shouldn't be in a fighting game (if I wanted a game where people win simply by chance, I'd play ****ing Mario Party), but unfortunately if you want to play Brawl, you're going to have to get over it.

Also, Brawl is still fun regardless of tripping but Melee is the superior fighting game.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The worst is when you have an opportunity to edge-guard someone and trip. You lose valuable time and they end up coming back. What if that's the point in your play style, to keep people from coming back after you knock them off. Then, due to random occurrence, you failed. Did they succeed? Not really, I would more or less say that Brawl won. They got back Scot-free and you didn't get to do ****. Now that's the heart of competition right?

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or are posts of how tripping "saved" people becoming more common? Sounds like getting saved when you should have gotten punished. I also still wanna know how people tripping on their own happens in a real fight because of these realism arguments.

You misunderstand me.
I mean we ban lucky people. I mean, they're so lucky. They must have won the cosmic lottery or something, and we can't have somebody too lucky winning all the tourneys.
Should have said lucky people then, not luck.

Anyway, that would be rather unfair for something that someone doesn't have control over. For example, Yuna, a Peach player who often gets stitch face turnips, would get banned for something he doesn't have control over (well, beisdes using down B). Even when getting that lucky, it doesn't automatic mean luck will help you win a tournament. It's usually the most skillful players that win. I'm not sure how tripping will yet affect this in Brawl.

Even if someone was lucky enough to win the lottery, doesn't automatic mean they will always get really lucky anytime they played Smash.

Way to fail.
Seriously guys. Promoting mid-air combat. I swear, Sakurai told me himself.
It's that guy's fault for trying to do a dash-grab and tripping? He failed for attempting to do a valid tactic, but get screwed over by tripping?

So, in other words, ground combat should be avoided altogether, even if doing something on the ground would work better at the moment then going in the air?

Are you able to show us proof that Sakurai said this? I'm not saying you're lying, I just wanna be sure that Sakurai directly said this.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
It's that guy's fault for trying to do a dash-grab and tripping? He failed for attempting to do a valid tactic, but get screwed over by tripping?

So, in other words, ground combat should be avoided altogether, even if doing something on the ground would work better at the moment then going in the air?

Are you able to show us proof that Sakurai said this? I'm not saying you're lying, I just wanna be sure that Sakurai directly said this.
Yes, it is his fault. Again, way to fail.
And Sakurai told me when we were in bed.

J18

Smash Journeyman
to answer your question, yes. yes it is truly that horrible. for me anyways.
in most cases it usually doesn't cause me damage or anything, but i miss a lot of good oppurtunities to attack/kill, and it bothers me. especially when you're playing two other human players, and they don't trip once while i trip 4 times a match

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
I think tripping percentages are different for different characters. As a ZSS player, I happen to trip about three or four times a match. Which is terrible considering how light ZSS is. There is nothing worse than when you're going for a K'O' or a large combo and then you trip.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
Is it just me or are posts of how tripping "saved" people becoming more common? Sounds like getting saved when you should have gotten punished. I also still wanna know how people tripping on their own happens in a real fight because of these realism arguments.
Yeah there's a lot more people posting saying that tripping's saved them, but it sure didn't save their opponent. Tripping is garbage.

And I've never tripped in a fight in RL and haven't ever seen it happen, that'd be the funniest thing ever though lmao throwing a right hook and landing on your face.

uremog

Smash Ace
so they were probably thinking something like:
- well, we've nerfed WD, DD, l-cancel, shine spikes, what's next?
- i dunno, pick one out of the bag ... fox trotting ...
- what in the world can we do about that? it's not even that good.
- hey guys, let's just nerf running!
- yeah! i get confused when things move quickly anyway.

For Your Mom

Smash Rookie
When i was fighting on norfair, my opponent tripped on the moving ledge to the right while it was retracting. it ko'd him at 12% and i won the match. i was pissed for him

Criosphere

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble reading this spread because of the constant tears covering my monitor from all the cry posts.

S

sn1per13

Is there really such thing as air-tripping? I've heard rumours.

M.K

Level 55
I think everyone has to realize that tripping just doesn't ONLY happen to you. Seeing how it can happen to both you and your opponent, I don't get that frazzled when it happens.

Funniest thing is watching Captain Falcon trip in slow motion after grabbing a Stopwatch.
L
O
L

heroboy

Smash Cadet
I'm not that mad that tripping is in the game, only that it can happen at random anytime.

The only redeeming thing is that some attacks have tripping "qualities" to them that increase the likelihood that someone will trip after receiving the attack. I think that tripping should only occur after being hit by these attacks.

864today

Smash Rookie
I think it adds a little bit of luck into the game which is good.
Without luck, the same people would win every battle.
I honestly hardly even notice it.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Seems like I posted in this thread more then any other in this board... :urg:

That's it, if I see any more fights in semi-realistic action movies where someone doesn't trip on their own, I'm sending in complains about the fights being unrealistic. :laugh:

Yes, it is his fault. Again, way to fail.
And Sakurai told me when we were in bed.
*face palm*

I think it adds a little bit of luck into the game which is good.
Without luck, the same people would win every battle.
I honestly hardly even notice it.
What's good about randomly messing up other players? What's wrong with the best players winning every time? I usually see this kind of thinking when it comes to luck elements in other games as well. If you put a lot of work and effort into being good, then why shouldn't you be rewarded with being able to win more often then most other people? This is especially an issue in tournament settings. Doesn't the best player deserve to win, and not some lesser skilled player because of getting lucky?

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
When i was fighting on norfair, my opponent tripped on the moving ledge to the right while it was retracting. it ko'd him at 12% and i won the match. i was pissed for him
Well you were brawling on a banned stage in the first place. SO RANDOM LOL
i've tripped in the air numerous times. From floating in the air with Peach to just any regular character doing an air attack.
Air tripping was put in place to promote ground combat.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Yeah, ive never gotten KOed either, I dont know why people say its THAT bad. It makes me lol when 2 people trip at the same time, and at least you get invincibility frames

uremog

Smash Ace
just because it happens to all players doesn't make it a good addition. it does nothing but slightly limit the game's potential. it does nothing to balance the game; at best, it makes whoever tripped frustrated. yes, it's just for a moment, and *probably* nothing bad will happen, but it's an entirely unnecessary random element that does not add to the game at all.

i have though, capitalized on tripping more than once already, getting me free damage through no fault of my opponent. and i can hardly expect my opponent to back up and say "oh, you tripped, i'll let you get up" if i tripped. that's what's really wrong about it.

pyrblaze

Smash Rookie
grr,
its only a minor setback, but when someone plays a fast character, er, sonic, its REALLY annoying. Especially when you are a ground treader...

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I think what makes people mad about tripping is the fact they lose control over their character. It kind of ruins your plans when you had an idea how to attack. I agree overall it was a stupid addition, but if you are going to play brawl then you need to learn how to live with it.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I honestly find tripping to be advantageous in many circumstances simply because people quickly run up to try and punish me and I can just do my trip attack to score 12% or so on them. Sure I've gotten brutalized a few times due to a trip at a bad time but I'd say I make at least 80% of my trips into successful attacks.

I thought tripping would be the breaking point on Brawl but after playing it a ton since I got it it's really not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'm sure many will disagree with me but that's just the way I see it.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
tripping is rather small but at high level gameplay even slightly mis judging spacing situations can easily cost you the game. It is still random and can and sometimes DOES decide the winner of a match.

uremog

Smash Ace
exactly. just wait till it's a big tourney, last stock, both players above 100%. You trip and get killed for it. You just lost a lot of money cause the game didn't like you. Sux.

Top Bottom