• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TRANSLATION PLEASE: this article claims 48 char roster

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it indeed says that there were 25 playable characters on Melee, and there are 48 on Brawl.

That's all it says that's important. But this whole thing could be fake, you know.

It says it, but it might just be a made up article. Keep that in mind.

M.K

Level 55
Technically, it had 26 characters, but to the untrained eye, it only had 25 (You would not know Sheik was playable without playing a match)

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
We don't know where this piece of text came from...so keep that in mind when trusting it :)

Revven

FrankerZ
48 characters would be insane but at the same time, make sense due to the large amount of time his team has had. Not only that, but, it is also a NICE amount of characters.

I just hope the article isn't a fake or made up, it would really sadden me if it turns out to be fake.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
it does indeed say that DX had 25 chars, and this time, at 48 chars, it's almost 2 x as many.
well they were 26 if you counted shiek but if they dint count shiek,ZSS,and the pokemon 48 character would be awesome and 52 counting shiek,zelda and the pokemons(not counting PT)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
48 would make sense if theres a way to like switch screens to select a character, because if you look at the size of the boxes for characters to chose from, exactly 24 can fit on the screen, so 48 would make sense if there were 2 screens

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
48 would make sense if theres a way to like switch screens to select a character, because if you look at the size of the boxes for characters to chose from, exactly 24 can fit on the screen, so 48 would make sense if there were 2 screens
That's the demo screen. It's most likely going to have the character boxes smaller in the real thing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Only pros really count Sheik as a seperate character
Sakurai, pros, and people who know the hold A button thingy count Sheik as the 26th character. But I felt like being sarcastic, LOL! :laugh:

Geez, we're getting bombed with info and random stuff, lol! :chuckle: Mesa like it! :grin:

Edit: If there were 48 characters, I'd go bonkers. That would be juset insanely awsome, and destroy my 42 or 43 (or 44) character expectations that most consider extreme! :) I don't know who WOULDN'T be happy with that size of a roster! :)

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Why would they need another page? They'll just make the icons smaller, the same way they did from the first demo to the new ones. Besides, if there were two pages, there'd be no way for more than one person to pick a character at a time; especially with Smash Bros.'s (awkward) character selection interface.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
Geez who else do they plan on adding? 48 seems like an insane amount.
Considering that in the two years between 64 and Melee, the characters were nearly doubled this doesn't seem an unrealistic increase from Melee to Brawl. As for finding that many characters to add... just look at Brawl Character Discussion and the hundreds of proposed characters.

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
Indeed 48 is an insane amount O.O for those with small TV screens, I feel sorry for four player madness haha. It'd be difficult alone to even select the characters!

I hope this is true, I mean this exceeds my expecations - if there are little to no clones, WOW. Now the problem is in seeing whether this is indeed legit or not. There's a high chance it's fake, then again it could well be plausible. Not long to find out the truth either way, but this would help pass the time haha.

-- Andy

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I have a few issues with this newspaper leak. They might not be anything, but they bother me enough to post about it.

1) It does not say that "there are a little under two times as many characters." It says 48名で2倍以上となった。 Translation: There are 48 characters, which is over twice as many as in Melee. Which doesn't make sense because 48/2 < 25. It could be the case if PT is counted as multilple characters, but I don't know.

2) The blurb is written horizontally, from left to right and then up to down. Japanese newspapers tend to be written from up to down and then from right to left.

3) The large amount of white space around the text. Newspapers in any country do not like to waste this much space because it's costly.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I have a few issues with this newspaper leak. They might not be anything, but they bother me enough to post about it.

1) It does not say that "there are a little under two times as many characters." It says 48名で2倍以上となった。 Translation: There are 48 characters, which is over twice as many as in Melee. Which doesn't make sense because 48/2 < 25. It could be the case if PT is counted as multilple characters, but I don't know.

2) The blurb is written horizontally, from left to right and then up to down. Japanese newspapers tend to be written from up to down and then from right to left.

3) The large amount of white space around the text. Newspapers in any country do not like to waste this much space because it's costly.
Good point about the 2nd and 3rd.....probably fake then. Though it wouldn't surprise me if 48 was about the amount.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
I don't really trust any translation until I see one from SamuraiPanda. But if this IS true, then my hype just shot up a couple notches :p

TnadeN

Smash Cadet
[...]
Good point! especially since it supposedly is a Japanese magazine which generally doesn't save enough space to make the text readable (what I've seen at least :p)

Gumshoe87

Smash Cadet
Does anyone here live in Japan and can find an issue of this paper today?

That would be the final answer we need.

BUt wow, 48 characters..my dream rosters didn't even have 48 characters that is just insane!

Zek

Smash Ace
I have a very hard time believing that a newspaper of all sources would leak this kind of info. And it really doesn't look like a newspaper article at all.

Boofer

Smash Ace

Your first point is irrelevant, as the phrase "twice as many" is almost always used as an approximation. But I'm going to keep your second and third points in mind.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Brawlcentral's translation says that Lucas wasnt in Melee because of his delay in a GBA release... when it was supposed to be an N64 project! That pretty suspicious if you ask me, but I guess it could be an honest mistake...

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Your first point is irrelevant, as the phrase "twice as many" is almost always used as an approximation. But I'm going to keep your second and third points in mind.
If they were going to say approximately twice as many, they would have used 位(gurai) instead of 以上(ijou) I would think. That's my problem with it.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Although what you say is true, reread what it says. "more than twice as many" are the exact words, which makes the point relevant because 48<25x2<x in which "x" stands for the amount of characters that SHOULD have been mentioned

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I agree that there is too much white and it reads the wrong way. If you are going to try and convince people you might want to get some of the surrounding newspaper down there or try to get some news that only appears in that day's edition along with the article.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Baloney. Which is some Ameripervertion of bologna. I prefer gobbledygook, pish-tosh or shenanigans myself.

Is there anyway to find out whether the newspaper in question prints in the manner we see in the article?

Gumshoe87

Smash Cadet
maybe the website doesn't have the news from the publication though. It's often like that for a lot of publications, as the website is run seperately.

amost

Smash Apprentice
But for the whitespace problem, it could be that the article was written directly for an online version of the newspaper, in which case, they don't really care about how much space they're using. Although still, probably bogus.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I swear I'll never understand why people like making up stuff online. How pathetic do you have to be to enjoy people's false hope?

Edit: Or not? Here's what someone on gamefaqs said to do.

Mewtwo_Shadow wrote:
Mewtwo_Shadow
Posted 1/19/2008 4:53:17 PM
message detail You guys....

http://www.oita-press.co.jp/

Those 2nd link below the orange sub-title kanji.

Open it with Excel
Mewtwo_Shadow
Posted 1/19/2008 4:53:40 PM
message detail Oita Godo-Shinbun, a Japanese newspaper

ehh...but apparently it doesn't mention smash bros.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
I just google image searched Japanese Newspapers, and it looks like it fits some of their formats. Not all of them squeeze their articles together

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Maybe they consider Sheik, ZSS, and the 3 Pokémon as add on to the character? IDK, just thinking. Or maybe they don't consider Sheik and ZSS "real" characters? :confused:

Regardless, anyone who wouldn't be pleaased with 48 characters is a ******.

Top Bottom