• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Tracking the Ninja - Greninja Video Thread

Rokk Hero

Smash Rookie
In the second video at 1:58, aMSa bounces off the ledge with Up-B and goes into the insta death tumble but he was able to cancel it with Down-B. He could have actually survived if he didn't accidentally Side-B. I've never seen Greninja able to cancel the death tumble after bouncing off the ledge like that, is cancelling into Down-B something that works all the time?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
In the second video at 1:58, aMSa bounces off the ledge with Up-B and goes into the insta death tumble but he was able to cancel it with Down-B. He could have actually survived if he didn't accidentally Side-B. I've never seen Greninja able to cancel the death tumble after bouncing off the ledge like that, is cancelling into Down-B something that works all the time?
Doesn't make a difference because you won't be able to use Hydro Pump again. He was probably hoping Nietono would go for the disrespect or something so he could trigger Substitute.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
SHowing off my Greninja in a one on one match! Some epic stuff here! Feedback is always appreciated , enjoy! : )

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Anyone find any Evo footage of Greninja? Was aMSa there?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Anyone find any Evo footage of Greninja? Was aMSa there?
aMSa played 3 sets on-stream if I'm right. One against G&W, one against Diddy and another against FOW's Ness, which he lost.

He then got blocked off top 32 by Dabuz. I don't think they're on youtube yet though.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Thoughts on what I could improve on and rate my Greninja from a scale of 1-10?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-cjHO9rA84:4megaman::4yoshi::4mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaUG_0afh0:4ryu:

Also got a really stylish kill on the Mega Man, felt soooo satsfying
CanI still be critiqued here? Also a friend uploaded one of my replays in a YouTube video when I sent it to him,got one of the most awesome kills ever. It's one of the same videos I already uploaded here, but it's in better quality as he has streaming equipment while I just have my phone.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I don't exactly use his thread that much, but I guess this would be worth sharing.

I fought NAKAT at my local.
Hehe. Commentators getting hype at normal Greninja things. ;P

I really need to kick that dair habit though. Didn't have that habit before, but I keep on playing against friends who just let me do that for free. Whoops. ' ~'

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
So the stream just ended but AMSA was labbing with Greninja. Here are his recent broadcasts.

http://www.twitch.tv/amsayoshi/profile/past_broadcasts

I'm going to go back and watch now, hopefully he found some stuff we can do out of D-throw.

I watched most of it. Mostly D Throw into Fair works on Mario sometimes around 130%. He also had a really interesting HP maneuver. He ledge dropped, HP up then diagonally away downwards to shoot a bubble at his would be edge guarder. What was cool was that he let go in time to regrab the edge almost every time instead of SDing.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Hi! Totally new here. I've been practicing my greninja and I'm thinking about picking him up as my main. I'm gonna dump a few videos I uploaded to youtube through the new uploader thingy (thank you sakauri) against a bowser I had a roughly 50/50 win loss with. I tried to utilize some new dthrow dtilt stuff, and even managed to get a couple footstool combos :D

Any advice/critique would be very welcome! I know I sometimes have some poor habits that I'm trying to shake, and I'm sure I'm not fully utilizing some bread and butter greninja tech. If anyone can help point these things out for me, it would be super appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXqtW1IUEC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkqGndUJuJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUwssndJJc

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

Works on fastfallers. If it doesnt combo, they only powershield it. It will hit if they mash anything but holding shield.

Coffee™

I need it....

Works on fastfallers. If it doesnt combo, they only powershield it. It will hit if they mash anything but holding shield.
If they DI away this doesn't work. They land on the ground before the Dtilt hits them and they can shield, dodge or jump.

Dthrow to Jab is a true combo though and you can get the regrab sometimes after Jab 2

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If they DI away this doesn't work. They land on the ground before the Dtilt hits them and they can shield, dodge or jump.

Dthrow to Jab is a true combo though and you can get the regrab sometimes after Jab 2
why do you never read the description or titles of videos lol

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
cuz the forum video player doesn't show em?
it literally says "abare break" in the title. it is a combo that is aimed at people that mash out of dthrow. if you're mashing your nair or combo breaker out of a combo, you probably aren't DI'ing.

Coffee™

I need it....
it literally says "abare break" in the title. it is a combo that is aimed at people that mash out of dthrow. if you're mashing your nair or combo breaker out of a combo, you probably aren't DI'ing.
First time seeing the term.

Either way, at low percents you don't really see most people mashing significantly and Greninja's Dthrow isn't a throw that you generally use a combo breaker to escape as jump, dodge and shield are all safer options against it.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Yeah... I have never heard of "abare break" either. Don't criticize people for not understanding your lingo.

D

Deleted member

Tournament vids of @ KERO KERO 's Greninja

Vs Smashbergers (G&W)

Vs AceStarThe3rd (Wii Fit Trainer)

Vs Katakiri (top 5 Meta Knight in the world)

Vs Speny (Lucas)

Vs Katakiri again in Grand Finals

I think he might be the best Greninja we have in the states lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
He is good. Watching the videos and seeing that I play very similarly in skill level and playstyle is pretty encouraging.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Urgh, umm... thank you haha. Kind of embarrassed that I started falling into really bad habits during the third set with Katakiri after having won 5 games in a row and got stubborn about going to Halberd, but... at least we got a solid look at the Greninja/MK MU now. I think those lackluster performances on some of those games prove that I probably am not the best US Greninja... yet, but I do feel that if I could consistently play like how I was against Katakiri during those first few games in GFs, well... maybe?

Even so, like I said when I was being mopey in the social about my Smash Con performance, I will be going to Japan very soon here, so... hopefully I'll be able to learn a ton from Amsa, Lea, and Shiki.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Oh man doing a 3-0 bracket reset then winning the first 2 games and still end up losing the Grand Finals but have breen heartbreaking.

Hard to tell if Katakiri adapter or if you just started getting complacent.

@Ludicolo I guess there's Ninjalink as a possible candidate.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I think Ninjalink is around the same level. He's just less defensive and more flashy. Plus he spends a lot of time with other characters.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I honestly kinda got complacent. I have a really bad habit of choking in sets like that in general. My thought process shifted from, "Well, I got wrecked in winners semis or whatever, so I'll just do what I can," to "Wow, just need to not mess up three times, and I got this!" I have some mindset issues to work out haha. I still think those first 5 games in GFs are probably the best I've played with Greninja, so I can be proud of that at least.

In general, I've been told I play a lot better when I don't really care. I feel like I end up putting a lot of pressure on myself at times because there are so few Greninja reps in the states, and I really don't want to let you guys down, and that kinda gets to me. It's definitely something that I need to work on.

As for better Greninja mains, well, Ace told me about a California Greninja he played that impressed him, and as mentioned, there's Ninjalink. I've recently been working on my offensive play (which explains why I played really aggressive in some of those sets) so that being behind isn't too bad an issue for me, and hopefully that's gonna end up helping out a lot. Seems now I also gotta work on my mindset, too, though haha.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think in general people do better when they don't pressure themselves or start losing their cool or getting cocky. Don't worry about letting us down, man, you did a really nice showing there and I'm glad we have a strong player like you repping the ninja.

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
Man, Kero's sets are awesome to watch. As a greninja struggling against quite a few matchups and trying to figure out my playstyle I was able to learn a lot by watching you play. Ex. I didn't know that you could escape Shuttle Loop with a well mashed side b. Don't be stressed out about your performance in those sets, I think that you did great and represented Le'Frog really well!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I think Ninjalink is around the same level. He's just less defensive and more flashy. Plus he spends a lot of time with other characters.
Jeez im RIGHT here guys lol I dont go for flash. I go for effectiveness.
I actually been using more Greninja more than anyone else.
I have some matches for you all.

and heres your defensive lol

If this doesnt timelink right, its at 4:31

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Lol you are definitely more flashy than Kero tho, he tends to sit back and throw shuriken more.

Hard to play Greninja and not be flashy tho :)

Top Bottom