• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Let's get one thing, straight though: If the leak turns out to be false, and we never receive a single DLC character we STILL have an amazing game. It hasn't been out long for 3DS, but I can already say this game satisfies everything I wanted out of a Smash game. It's got some crazy new characters (I never would have imagined either Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. being anything I'd want to play, but I love them both), it has characters that push the boundaries of traditional fighters farther than Smash Bros. already has, it has characters that demand significant time and effort to get to the true depths of their power. The game is already great. Let the man have Dark Pit if he wants his OC in the game that badly, whatever.

There is, however, a darker side to all this. There's an unwritten rule in marketing: "Never give your customer everything they want." The reason is simple: We'll never ask for more. After Ridley and Mewtwo, what characters are left that we'd actually be hyped for in the next installment? Isaac? Dixie? K. Rool? Bandana Dee? Without getting into third-party characters like Geno, Nintendo is regrettably getting close to running out of characters the general consumer would actually be ready to throw their wallets at seven years from now. Quite frankly, the next Smash can only disappoint us. Characters that still aren't in "after five installations" will enrage fans just as much as the cuts they'd be forced to make to squeeze what they can out of an ever increasing demand for roster size. You then have to ask yourself: What would it take to convince you to buy the next game? If you're a hardcore fan, probably not much - but what about casuals? The four characters I listed above are niche picks. Outside of Ridley and Mewtwo, there just aren't that many more Nintendo characters that can rally a rabid fan base out of people who otherwise don't care for the series.
But the thing is by the next instalment there'll be new characters to add, as of right now there's already the inkilings, the guy from code name steam and many more to come, Old characters from new franchises will rise to popularity like Rosalina did and of course series like Pokemon and Mario will always have more options for newcomers

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Let's get one thing straight though: If the leak turns out to be false, and we never receive a single DLC character, we STILL have an amazing game. It hasn't been out long for 3DS, but I can already say this game satisfies everything I wanted out of a Smash game. It's got some crazy new characters (I never would have imagined either Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. being anything I'd want to play, but I love them both), it has characters that push the boundaries of traditional fighters farther than Smash Bros. already has, it has characters that demand significant time and effort to get to the true depths of their power. The game is already great. Let the man have Dark Pit if he wants his OC in the game that badly, whatever.

There is, however, a darker side to all this. There's an unwritten rule in marketing: "Never give your customer everything they want." The reason is simple: We'll never ask for more. After Ridley and Mewtwo, what characters are left that we'd actually be hyped for in the next installment? Isaac? Dixie? K. Rool? Bandana Dee? Without getting into third-party characters like Geno, Nintendo is regrettably getting close to running out of characters the general consumer would actually be ready to throw their wallets at seven years from now. Quite frankly, the next Smash can only disappoint us. Characters that still aren't in "after five installations" will enrage fans just as much as the cuts they'd be forced to make to squeeze what they can out of an ever increasing demand for roster size. You then have to ask yourself: What would it take to convince you to buy the next game? If you're a hardcore fan, probably not much - but what about casuals? The four characters I listed above are niche picks. Outside of Ridley and Mewtwo, there just aren't that many more Nintendo characters that can rally a rabid fan base out of people who otherwise don't care for the series.
Actually, this is similar to the theory I had that Nintendo had Sakurai take some of the very highly requested characters in the game (Mewtwo or ridley, for example) and save them for a WiiU connection gimmick in order to get people to buy the WiiU version. You have to leave them wanting more after the 3ds version, right? If the 3ds-WiiU transfer theory is correct, than I'm pretty sure at least one of the really popular requests will make it in.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I agree with this. I doubt thatwas intended as a tease. The real Mewtwo tease was when someone asked if Mewtwo was going to be in SSB4 at E3 2013 and Sakurai (who was in the audience; it was a Pokémon XY roundtable) said they were thinking about it. Why offer the information if not for a tease?

But I will grant the grey-and-purple Greninja recolor is a bit of a slap in the face...
Let's get one thing straight; that trailers was purposefully isleading peope into believing mewtwo was back.I mean, look at the hands in the trailer compared to the actual character:

And here is Mewtwo's Melee hands in comparison:
But yeah, that is odd about the roundtable discussion.

Anyway, has any new info surfaced?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
HEre's my question to you guys if this is true will you guys still think sakurai is a **** or asshole and don't deserve to be director anymore like some people.Or will you give him his props for giving us the biggest trolling moment in our gaming lives and the best fighting game in our gaming lives

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Let's get one thing straight; that trailers was purposefully isleading peope into believing mewtwo was back.I mean, look at the hands in the trailer compared to the actual character:

And here is Mewtwo's Melee hands in comparison:
But yeah, that is odd about the roundtable discussion.

Anyway, has any new info surfaced?

Come to think of it, it is kind of odd to show this sort of illusion in a Greninja trailer. This was such a major tease. To be honest, I thought I just wouldn't see it because I compared it to the anime Mewtwo, but comparing it to the Melee Mewtwo never really crossed my mind. It really gives me more hopes for him. As for new sources, not yet, but I will keep looking if I have time.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
HEre's my question to you guys if this is true will you guys still think sakurai is a **** or ******* and don't deserve to be director anymore like some people.Or will you give him his props for giving us the biggest trolling moment in our gaming lives and the best fighting game in our gaming lives
If it's true he went out of his way to give fans what they wanted so I'd be fine with it. I would feel he took it way too far however. He should have started teasing these characters like a month before the 3DS release instead of how long it's been going on. If they're not there I'll be pretty displeased with him in general for neglecting the two most requested characters, again. That or being out of touch, but with how he's handled things I really doubt he doesn't know about how demanded Ridley and Mewtwo are.

I don't wish anything bad on him, I just wish he'd realize how important those characters are and figure out ways he personally likes to make Ridley playable. Mewtwo not coming back will never make sense to me for how much he's wanted, being a veteran, and for how much positive press it'd generate.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Come to think of it, it is kind of odd to show this sort of illusion in a Greninja trailer. This was such a major tease. To be honest, I thought I just wouldn't see it because I compared it to the anime Mewtwo, but comparing it to the Melee Mewtwo never really crossed my mind. It really gives me more hopes for him. As for new sources, not yet, but I will keep looking if I have time.
Holy crap. It makes sense now. The trophies of the 4 tos characters in the 3ds version. Think about it:

Mewtwo's trophy looks like his anime design, NOT his classic game/melee design.

Dixie Kong's trophy is of her new design, not her classic one, where she had knee warmers.

Impa is in her Ocarina of Time design, NOT her Skyward Sword design.

And Chorus Kids are in their 2D models, NOT a 3d one.

And Ridley, he doesn't have a trophy all together!

I could be crazy, but I'm starting to think that these trophies really are just placeholders.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Holy crap. It makes sense now. The trophies of the 4 tos characters in the 3ds version. Think about it:

Mewtwo's trophy looks like his anime design, NOT his classic game/melee design.

Dixie Kong's trophy is of her new design, not her classic one, where she had knee warmers.

Impa is in her Ocarina of Time design, NOT her Skyward Sword design.

And Chorus Kids are in their 2D models, NOT a 3d one.

And Ridley, he doesn't have a trophy all together!

I could be crazy, but I'm starting to think that these trophies really are just placeholders.
Hmmm, the theory doesn't really hold much water. I feel you are sort of looking too much into this.

Mewtwo - I may be mistaken but I do believe that is Mewtwo's X/Y design as well. It's his current design. Him not using his Melee design isn't too unheard of. Characters like Link, Zelda, Fox, etc all got redesigns in Brawl.
Dixie Kong - Her design being current fits with how most characters in Smash using their most current or recent designs.
Impa - Hmmm, OoT design. I guess they chose that design for the trophy due to OoT3D. I want to ask but is Impa in TP? This one sort of holds water, assuming that Impa is in the game.
Chorus Kids - They shouldn't be 3D. Rhythm Heaven is entirely 2D, so it makes a lot of sense for them to be 2D flat models just like Game & Watch.
Ridley - Yeah, weird he lacks his trophy. I wonder what's going on there? lol

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Hmmm, the theory doesn't really hold much water. I feel you are sort of looking too much into this.

Mewtwo - I may be mistaken but I do believe that is Mewtwo's X/Y design as well. It's his current design. Him not using his Melee design isn't too unheard of. Characters like Link, Zelda, Fox, etc all got redesigns in Brawl.
Dixie Kong - Her design being current fits with how most characters in Smash using their most current or recent designs.
Impa - Hmmm, OoT design. I guess they chose that design for the trophy due to OoT3D. I want to ask but is Impa in TP? This one sort of holds water, assuming that Impa is in the game.
Chorus Kids - They shouldn't be 3D. Rhythm Heaven is entirely 2D, so it makes a lot of sense for them to be 2D flat models just like Game & Watch.
Impa isn't in TP. She's only been in Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Hyrule Warriors. and then there's the games where she appears as an old lady. But the chances of Old Lady Impa in Smash are slim.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280

Impa is not in Twilight Princess, for future reference.
EDIT :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Impa isn't in TP. She's only been in Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Hyrule Warriors. and then there's the games where she appears as an old lady. But the chances of Old Lady Impa in Smash are slim.
Impa is not in Twilight Princess, for future reference.
EDIT :4greninja:'d
Thanks you two. I haven't played a lot of Zelda games. I've beaten a few like OoT and the GBC/GBA ones.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

Ah well, it was a long shot anyways.

Guess i was thinking too much about it. :054:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fat Impa for the win. :awesome:

And yeah, modifying Greninja's hands was just plain weird. The best I can think of is he planend for Mewtwo to get in by scrapped him, and this was meant to be a teaser. I will say with honesty that I think he'll be in bar GameFreak not allowing it.

Ridley does not have the same high amount of fans in the east, so unlike with Mewtwo, he may not actually get in as is. Mewtwo has to worry about a company holding him back. Ridley appears to be entirely Sakurai's decision.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Old Impa in Smash sounds pretty mind****ing and so at the same time cool and "sakuraish"

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Expressing displeasure is not being spoiled. As a customer, I have a right to say what I like and dislike about a product I paid for without being insulted for it. Perhaps I could have phrased my last post a little better. I shouldn't have called Sakurai asterisks. (Though I don't know what polite term could be used for someone who insults his customers for questioning his decisions.) I know there are idiots out there who wish death on Sakurai, and I don't want to be one of them. But at the same time, I'm having real qualms with how he's handling this Smash iteration, both marketing and design. What can you do?

At any rate. We're all just arguing in circles and getting angry at each other until something concrete shows up. It's too soon to tell if the Wii U will be drastically different from the 3DS, with a Tower of Smash and new characters, or if we're all just hyping ourselves up for nothing, and feeding into more of the disappointed negativity that has Sakurai so displeased at us.

Last edited:

Tamagon

Smash Rookie
I think the hands were modified to remove the webbing so it wouldn't immediately give away who it was going to be. I don't think they intended to trick people into specifically thinking it's Mewtwo since the body and hands aren't quite his either; his hands are shorter than Greninja's hands in the trailer. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be vague.

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't believe the character part of the leak AT ALL. but I thought I may as well show what the roster would probably look like if true:

Honestly don't know about Mii Fighters.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I always just chalked the Greninja fingers to being a mess-up by the animation team. The tongue scarf is clearly visible. Maybe they were basing that scene off of older concept art and that's why the fingers are messed up, I dunno. It doesn't seem like he'd be able to make the ninja sign if he had the webbing, so maybe they forgot. Also, I don't think Mewtwo has ever hung upside-down.

As for the Mewtwo remark, Sakurai said, "We're thinking about it." The only guarantee there is that he thought about it. And so he did. And he and his team decided that Mewtwo should not be in the (possibly initial) roster. Pokemon DOES have three first-gen Pokemon already, all three of which take priority over Mewtwo (even though I don't like Jiggs much).

Quite frankly, the "teasing" with Ridley was quite clear as well. Ridley's shadow was clearly seen, and Ridley was very clearly stated to be a stage boss. Context as well as the original Japanese confirms this. As for why Sakurai would do that, maybe he didn't want to give too much Wii U hype and pull away hype from the 3DS. Maybe he wanted to save it for now, when he can really hype up the Wii U version. This would also explain why Ridley hasn't been mentioned or discussed much at all. We'll see in the next few weeks if Sakurai's going to pull out all of his aces. If he does, then we'll have a reason behind all of this, even if it's an explanation we don't like. If he doesn't, then the marketing team is just horrible.

Of course, if Mewtwo and Ridley are future characters, then we'll just retcon or edit these ideas as necessary. But these seem to make the most sense, I think.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman

What if Impa is using her OoT design because she's a new or tweaked Smash design if she's on the roster? That's kind of why I think Ridleys trophy not being there at all could be them not wanting to spoil his redesign. Though then you could argue why wouldn't he have a trophy of an old design like Impa here. It is weird that out of all the rumored extra characters only Ridley doesn't have a 3DS trophy.

Meta Ridley, I highly disagree. It was not clearly anything regarding Ridley. It was implied but you can't tell me he wasn't handled unlike any other deconfirmed character. His "deconfirmation" was hidden behind a shadow and an implication, never shown, never stated by name. Sakurai went out of his way to do everything BUT be clear about Ridley. It's obvious that would get fans hopes up, regardless of if the outcome was positive for them or not. Which I do not agree with and will call Sakurai out on his poor choices regarding Ridley and how he was handled until the end of time. I'd much rather be told and shown to my face that Ridley isn't and/or never will be playable than to be shown a shadow of Ridley, while every other fanbase gets let down blatantly and with no shadows. I don't consider Metal Face "letting fans down" because he was never heavily requested to be on the roster.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Expressing displeasure is not being spoiled. As a customer, I have a right to say what I like and dislike about a product I paid for without being insulted for it.
This!

I've grown irritated at those who think people don't have the right to criticize a product, as it makes them seem "spoiled". Sakurai isn't making these games for free, you know. We are making him tons of money, its an exchange. He works hard on the product I have to buy with my own hard earn money. He needs to prove to me his product is worth me sparing my salary to in order to get it. Now, of course people shouldn't threaten, or throw around expletives on the man, but people have the right to spread their feedback, good or negative, so that Sakurai can take those responses to heart, and implement, and improve the next installment. Its how we got rid of tripping, and why we have Megaman in Smash. People shouldn't be silenced just because they aren't as satisfied with the product as you are.

As for the Mewtwo remark, Sakurai said, "We're thinking about it." The only guarantee there is that he thought about it. And so he did. And he and his team decided that Mewtwo should not be in the (possibly initial) roster. Pokemon DOES have three first-gen Pokemon already, all three of which take priority over Mewtwo (even though I don't like Jiggs much).

Quite frankly, the "teasing" with Ridley was quite clear as well. Ridley's shadow was clearly seen, and Ridley was very clearly stated to be a stage boss. Context as well as the original Japanese confirms this. As for why Sakurai would do that, maybe he didn't want to give too much Wii U hype and pull away hype from the 3DS. Maybe he wanted to save it for now, when he can really hype up the Wii U version. This would also explain why Ridley hasn't been mentioned or discussed much at all. We'll see in the next few weeks if Sakurai's going to pull out all of his aces. If he does, then we'll have a reason behind all of this, even if it's an explanation we don't like. If he doesn't, then the marketing team is just horrible.
I mostly agree with you on Mewtwo, except I don't think Jiggs should have priority over Mewtwo. Original 12 be damned.

As for Ridley, he's been heavily IMPLIED to be a stage boss, not stated at all. I'd like to know the context behind the japanese wording, just so I get a better sense at what brought you to that conclusion. Frankly, the situation is way too ambiguous with Ridley, that we really can't call on either fronts. Also, there were so many different ways to could have gone about hyping up Ridley as a stage boss, without having to circle jerk fans.

1. Don't show off Pyrosphere so early, and wait t'ill the 3ds versions launch.

2. Have him in a pic of the day confirming he's not playable, but something else.

3. He could have introduce the concept of Stage bosses as opposed to Yellow Devil.

Also, the idea that a stage boss would take away hype from the 3ds version is just wrong, and I am confident Sakurai knows this.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Decent point on Mewtwo. We didn't see the same concept art Sakurai saw, just a set of concept art in general. I think the webbing was there.

Yeah, Ridley's role was never stated. It sounds that way due to the wording and such, but that's it.

And I'm pretty sure that interview was badly translated. Sakurai confirmed he does read Miiverse posts. He was saying a lot of the complainers were children specifically. Not that all of the complainers were childish. These are very distinct meanings. He's never actually outright insulted us. It was just lost due to a hard to translate set of words, respectively. I do not believe he has that view of the fanbase. He does hate elitism(which to be fair comes from both casuals and competitive players), which is why he made Brawl less competitive, to try and bring all players on a similar level to remove some of the fighting. That's fairly admirable, regardless of the final outcome of the game.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
If that's the case, I'm glad to hear it. Still doesn't still my frustrations with the rest of the decisions made in Smash, but at least he wasn't out against everyone with criticisms.

At any rate, we'll see what the coming months bring. Considering all the finds that have been made in the data, I'm fairly certain there's more to come.

llanura22

Smash Rookie
Dudes I don't f this is too much to ask of, but can anyone shrink these trying to represent my mains :')

Preferably all the same size so I can put them in my signature :)

Where did you found this image? is there a page where i can see more characters? can u send me more in dm or email? please:crazy: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3:colorful:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Thought of something small regarding the whole "leak" and everything...

Does anyone think the leaker's description of Dixie's final smash - like DK's but with her guitar from DKC2 - seems the tiniest bit credible in the wake of Barbara's absence from the Assist Trophy roster?

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I mostly agree with you on Mewtwo, except I don't think Jiggs should have priority over Mewtwo. Original 12 be damned.

As for Ridley, he's been heavily IMPLIED to be a stage boss, not stated at all. I'd like to know the context behind the japanese wording, just so I get a better sense at what brought you to that conclusion. Frankly, the situation is way too ambiguous with Ridley, that we really can't call on either fronts. Also, there were so many different ways to could have gone about hyping up Ridley as a stage boss, without having to circle jerk fans.

1. Don't show off Pyrosphere so early, and wait t'ill the 3ds versions launch.

2. Have him in a pic of the day confirming he's not playable, but something else.

3. He could have introduce the concept of Stage bosses as opposed to Yellow Devil.

Also, the idea that a stage boss would take away hype from the 3ds version is just wrong, and I am confident Sakurai knows this.
Yeah, Original 12 almost didn't hold water anyway, with Ness almost being replaced by Lucas in Melee. But now it's a pretty established thing, unfortunately. I guess Jiggs has a big enough Smash fanbase. Sort of like Captain Falcon.

As for Ridley, he was shown immediately after the Yellow Devil, and the Japanese refers to it as "Additional boss gimmicks" (I forget the exact wording, but "gimmicks" was definitely used) rather than "Other boss character appearances". You can say that this is only "HEAVILY implied," but I think we can use Occam's Razor here and just take it at its word. We can still argue for a dual-role as boss and playable, of course. But I wouldn't say that he's been teased as much as we used to claim in the Ridley thread.

After seeing some of the other threads supporting characters, I realized that we were kind of deluding ourselves (I made this realization when multiple people were saying that Bandana Dee still had a 90% chance after the ESRB leak).

I'm still waiting for some more evidence for or against this leak, so I dunno. As everyone else is saying, extra characters would bring a lot of probably-needed hype. For me personally, getting introduced to all of the Subspace bosses made me super-hyped for Brawl. Remember how we had Petey Piranha's shadow for quite a while before Sakurai unveiled him to us? And how awesome that was? Maybe he's going for something similar here.

@ StupendousMike StupendousMike Zoroark's attack is strikingly similar to Ike's and Greninja's FS, though it's toned down a bit. Dixie's FS would be on a bigger scale than Barbara's attack anyway, so I dunno if we can use that as major evidence.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Yeah, Original 12 almost didn't hold water anyway, with Ness almost being replaced by Lucas in Melee. But now it's a pretty established thing, unfortunately. I guess Jiggs has a big enough Smash fanbase. Sort of like Captain Falcon.

As for Ridley, he was shown immediately after the Yellow Devil, and the Japanese refers to it as "Additional boss gimmicks" (I forget the exact wording, but "gimmicks" was definitely used) rather than "Other boss character appearances". You can say that this is only "HEAVILY implied," but I think we can use Occam's Razor here and just take it at its word. We can still argue for a dual-role as boss and playable, of course. But I wouldn't say that he's been teased as much as we used to claim in the Ridley thread.

After seeing some of the other threads supporting characters, I realized that we were kind of deluding ourselves (I made this realization when multiple people were saying that Bandana Dee still had a 90% chance after the ESRB leak).

I'm still waiting for some more evidence for or against this leak, so I dunno. As everyone else is saying, extra characters would bring a lot of probably-needed hype. For me personally, getting introduced to all of the Subspace bosses made me super-hyped for Brawl. Remember how we had Petey Piranha's shadow for quite a while before Sakurai unveiled him to us? And how awesome that was? Maybe he's going for something similar here.

@ StupendousMike StupendousMike Zoroark's attack is strikingly similar to Ike's and Greninja's FS, though it's toned down a bit. Dixie's FS would be on a bigger scale than Barbara's attack anyway, so I dunno if we can use that as major evidence.
Mewtwo's Smash fanbase is even bigger, and he's only been in 1 game. I still call shenanigans on that. Not saying she should be cut, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the more important, and relevant character.

On Ridley, that still just seems like Sakurai is trolling. And if he reads Miiverse post, as he claims, he knows how BIG a topic Ridley is for the west. The landscape is a bit different than with Petey Piranha. Ridley is a much more requested character, the concept of multiple bosses back in Brawl was new and fresh at the time, not so much now, and on top of that, a stage boss,essentially a downgrade from his Subspace role. That ain't something to get hyped about, though these are the same guys who thought Smash Run was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread, so who knows where their priorities land? Perhaps some people were deluding themselves for characters, but I still stand by that the Ridley supporters still had every right to expect Ridley, considering he has been teased, and alluded for a YEAR, seriously, that's alot of time to confirm the same role Ridley has had for 25 years, not to mention, had this very teased role in another game on the same stage, just 3 years ago. I say if Ridley isn't playable, Sakurai would be the more delusional one in thinking people wanted a stage boss Ridley. No, that's what most expect, not necessarily what they want.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Mewtwo's Smash fanbase is even bigger, and he's only been in 1 game. I still call shenanigans on that. Not saying she should be cut, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the more important, and relevant character.

On Ridley, that still just seems like Sakurai is trolling. And if he reads Miiverse post, as he claims, he knows how BIG a topic Ridley is for the west. The landscape is a bit different than with Petey Piranha. Ridley is a much more requested character, the concept of multiple bosses back in Brawl was new and fresh at the time, not so much now, and on top of that, a stage boss,essentially a downgrade from his Subspace role. That ain't something to get hyped about, though these are the same guys who thought Smash Run was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread, so who knows where their priorities land? Perhaps some people were deluding themselves for characters, but I still stand by that the Ridley supporters still had every right to expect Ridley, considering he has been teased, and alluded for a YEAR, seriously, that's alot of time to confirm the same role Ridley has had for 25 years, not to mention, had this very teased role in another game on the same stage, just 3 years ago. I say if Ridley isn't playable, Sakurai would be the more delusional one in thinking people wanted a stage boss Ridley. No, that's what most expect, not necessarily what they want.
I really REALLY want to ask how has he been "teased" Besides the "shadow" But I dont want to start a fight so Ill keep my mouth shut

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
The tease build up also comes from the fact well his trophy is rather missing from 3DS it's also how the hype for Isaac is rising.
It may be just me that isn't even close to a tease. Professor Laytons Trophy isn't there but why would I hype myself up for something like that? I could only lead to heartbreak and disappointment anyway

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
It may be just me that isn't even close to a tease. Professor Laytons Trophy isn't there but why would I hype myself up for something like that? I could only lead to heartbreak and disappointment anyway
Well, that's different. Both Ridley and Isaac have already appeared in a smash game before, Layton hasn't.

Tamagon

Smash Rookie
I really REALLY want to ask how has he been "teased" Besides the "shadow" But I dont want to start a fight so Ill keep my mouth shut
Shadow + Ridley being in a smash game befoer as a boss + not having a trophy in the 3DS version.

That all being said, do we know if Sakurai reads English miiverse posts, or just Japanese ones? That's pretty important to consider since Metroid is not at all popular over in Japan. In fact, supposedly when the final roster got leaked, there was a Japanese user who said "Well if it's fake, then at least it wasn't done by a westerner because Ridley's not on there." Granted, that quote's just hearsay. Either way, Metroid isn't popular in Japan and if Sakurai just reads Japanese miiverse posts, then I can see how he could genuinely not realize how this whole thing is coming off as teasing western fans.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Well, that's different. Both Ridley and Isaac have already appeared in a smash game before, Layton hasn't.
hmm.... I guess your right but I care for you fans hearts and All I can say is it is best to tone the hype and hopefulness down just a bit. Because if it ends up not true you all are in for a world of hurt.

double post, forgive me

Last edited:

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
Shadow + Ridley being in a smash game befoer as a boss + not having a trophy in the 3DS version.

That all being said, do we know if Sakurai reads English miiverse posts, or just Japanese ones? That's pretty important to consider since Metroid is not at all popular over in Japan. In fact, supposedly when the final roster got leaked, there was a Japanese user who said "Well if it's fake, then at least it wasn't done by a westerner because Ridley's not on there." Granted, that quote's just hearsay. Either way, Metroid isn't popular in Japan and if Sakurai just reads Japanese miiverse posts, then I can see how he could genuinely not realize how this whole thing is coming off as teasing western fans.
As i understand it he reads both because I remember the miis that were shown in their reveal (Lincoln, Elijah, Ice T.) was because they were requests on miiverse. Ice T. wasn't in the japanese video (replaced by some japanese game show host i think), and I don't remember anyone saying that he was an exception

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley was in the same area of data as Smash Run enemies and some Stage Bosses(that have enough A.I. to be included here. Other hazards are within the stage's programming) like Yellow Devil. It means whatever he was going to do on the 3DS was scrapped. This could either mean he's just a Wii U hazard, but didn't work on the 3DS, or the idea of him being a hazard was scrapped altogether. It goes both ways, and is really evidence for both to be reasonable possibilities.

His Boss data from Brawl was ported over. That could just as well mean he was completely intended to be an NPC of some kind. There's no way to tell, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom