• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't believe we've seen anything yet that proves it fake beyond a shadow of a doubt. Nonetheless, as more info comes out about the game from official sources, it's starting to look dire.

A glance over the active threads in the leaks group proved to me that no, they don't have a bunch of info we haven't already discussed in this thread. **** the long analysis I posted a while back (thanks for adding it to the OP though, I'll PM you when/if I update it), here's a simple list of pros and cons and the common arguments detractors of each side use to discredit them.

Here's a quick list of what the leak has gotten right so far. All of this is confirmed directly by official sources, save for the return of Stage Builder, which came from Amazon:
-The November 21st release date, down to it specifically being for the US A fairly safe guess, although the specific mention of for the US adds a smidge more credibility
-Onett Could be written off as a safe guess as well
-Smashville Nobody really expected this stage to come back, and the fact that it is despite its overt similarity to Town & City lends credibility to the leak's claim that every series gets at least one retro stage on the Wii U
-A stage prominently involving Great Fox Name was wrong
-A stage based on Game & Wario Name was wrong
-The return of Stage Builder People were about 50/50 on whether this feature would return. Its limitations in Brawl made most people consider it mostly superfluous despite being a fun feature, and it also created a data vulnerability within the game that opened the floodgates for modding. I don't think this is a particularly lucky guess. Many people speculated on the return of Stage Builder, but it was just as frequently considered to be, like Snake and the SSE, a "Brawl Only" experiment that would not be returning. I'm giving this one to the leak.

Here's a list of what the leak has gotten wrong, as in: it directly contradicts the text of the leak:
-The Starfox stage is called "Orbital Gate", and while it prominently features the Great Fox, there is a lot more to it
-The Game & Wario stage is called "Gamer" and focuses on one specific minigame as opposed to all of Game & Wario

These are fair points. The names in the leak are incorrect, and they do not accurately describe the complete nature of these stages. However, it is reasonable to think that the leaker was working from limited information, saw an untranslated version of the game, or simply did not have a working knowledge of Star Fox: Assault or Game & Wario, both of which sold not so well and were met with a critical "meh", making them far from "big" Nintendo games. This could go either way.
-We saw a tease of what appears to be a new Kirby stage based on The Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star. None of the three new Kirby stages included in the leak mention The Great Cave Offensive.
We have seen ONE picture of this stage, which didn't mention a name or really even elaborate on any specific mechanics. I think it is pretty clearly the Great Cave Offensive, and I agree that if we receive further information on this stage and there's absolutely no way the leaker could have mistaken it for Mt. Dedede or Cookie Country, we should consider the leak debunked. However, this is still very ambiguous, so UNTIL we find out more, this really isn't useful evidence either way.
-A list of names was found on the ROM dump that featured AI NPC characters, specifically stage hazards and smash run enemies, and included multiple mentions of Ridley, two of which were junk data left over from Brawl and one of which appears to be new.
This certainly doesn't look good for Ridley, although it could be old/unused data. Until we see Ridley, at long last, as a stage hazard, this is still soft evidence.
-Unused sound files on the ROM, as well as the Amazon listing suggest that Event Matches are returning.
Things are still a little bit ambiguous here, but the leaker did say specifically that Event Matches weren't coming back. Because they were also mentioned in the Amazon listing, I'm giving this to the detractors.
-There is a "board game mode", some kind of "mission mode" featuring Master and Crazy Hand, something called "Smash World", which may be the name of one of the two preceding modes, and perhaps an 8-player multiplayer mode.
We know that these things may exist, but we know **** all about any of them, with the only direct acknowledgement from Nintendo coming from an ambiguous PotD where the key information was literally censored. 8-player has not been confirmed by any official source of any kind, and seems like exactly the kind of feature that could have been planned and then scrapped because it was too chaotic. We need more official information on these modes before we can use them to disconfirm anything. It's total speculation right now. Not to mention the fact that the leaker may have simply not mentioned these modes, preferring to focus on Tower of Smash.

CONCLUSION:
Neither #TeamReal nor #TeamFake has enough evidence to support its side that is not either circumstantial or cannot be countered by equally credible arguments. We are in the same place we have been for weeks, the same place we have been basically since the leak was posted. There is evidence for it, and there is evidence against it, all of which is still extremely ambiguous due to the very limited info we have been getting from Sakurai for the past few weeks. Unused Data seems to be the biggest thorn in the leak's side, but unused data is not hard evidence of anything, otherwise Mewtwo would have been in Brawl. It has become obvious that some of the unused data is relevant to modes on the Wii U, but that doesn't mean all of it is. The leaker has gotten several things completely right and a few things ambiguously right, but none it is signifcantly out there enough to consider it confirmed. Nothing has yet substantiated the leak's claims about certain stages, five new characters, and the Tower of Smash mode itself other than a Neogaf post, and all of it is still possible given what little we know at the moment. We simply need more information before we can consider this an outright fake. Everybody needs to chill the **** out and wait for the inevitable Direct.

Personally, I propose we close this thread until something worth talking about comes along. We've been talking in circles for weeks. It's unproductive, and it's getting nasty. Pages and pages have been devoted to picking apart other leaks which are clearly fake, simply because people are bored. Go play the 3DS version guys. If you don't have it, go play outside.

JuicyJuicen

Smash Rookie
I seriously think this might be my first post (I really just enjoy watching people discuss things and rarely have much constructive to say), but I'd love an invite to the illusive leak group I've seen mentioned for quite awhile now.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

We already have two pending requests to lock the thread (and why, I ask, right as soon as we get something juicy to talk about?). We are in danger of losing this discussion that's kept us occupied the last week or so. We would like to be able to say, "Please keep the thread open, there's more to discuss and we're not hurting anybody..." but we can't, because You insist on hurting people.

Either drop it or leave.
/dadvoice
Let me just ask. Who's the one that keeps resurrecting the problem? Look back through the pages. Im not the one that keeps bringing this back up. If you don't want the argument to continue, tell the people who keep resurrecting the problem to stop. I don't know what you are smoking if you honestly think that I'm bringing the subject back. I don't want to be disrespectful, but I naturally am going to get pissed the **** off when people start pointing fingers at me. Apparently saying I'd refrain saying something like that in the future mean I am insisting on hurting people. Quit putting words in my mouth.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
Tower of Smash...I was wondering about this name for the whole time. Although I may ask, this doesn't mean I wanna debunk this leak, because I do wanna believe its true...50/50 if possible.

While I was reading the description of the leak for the first time from long ago, I just felt I've heard of it somewhere before, which I found this.

I do believe I'm wrong with this, but what do you think?

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Let me just ask. Who's the one that keeps resurrecting the problem? Look back through the pages. Im not the one that keeps bringing this back up. If you don't want the argument to continue, tell the people who keep resurrecting the problem to stop. I don't know what you are smoking if you honestly think that I'm bringing the subject back.
You've literally brought it up again. Like, right now.
You know, after we all dropped it?
Can you stop?

Mr. Hades

Smash Cadet
Tower of Smash...I was wondering about this name for the whole time. Although I may ask, this doesn't mean I wanna debunk this leak, because I do wanna believe its true...50/50 if possible.

While I was reading the description of the leak for the first time from long ago, I just felt I've heard of it somewhere before, which I found this.

You don't think the leaker just... ripped the Tower idea from that, did they?!

Oh dear lord.

They seem so similar o.e

Last edited:

Mr. Hades

Smash Cadet

Oh dear lord. They seem so similar o.e
On closer inspection, has anyone compared the dates of the leak, and the video?

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious

I dunno. I'll have to look into this, actually
This is mildly worrying.

However the ideas do seem rather different. The ToS seems to be more based on Soul Calibur's "Tower of Lost Souls" which in itself is about fighting. Not avoiding golden blocks or whatever.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I'm pretty sure ToS is based on tower of souls from soul calibur

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman

Oh dear lord.

They seem so similar o.e
They're not at all similar, actually.

The tower from that video is based on the Tower of Heaven flash game. In said game, you have to ascend a tower, while some strange voice gives you arbitrary rules that you have to follow (don't walk left, don't touch living things, etc.). It's actually a pretty fun game, gets pretty challenging.

Dragonogon

Smash Cadet

I'm probably straw grasping with this, but, ToS and that tower in the video are probably coincidentally similar. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a game called tower of heaven, and the tower in the video seems like it's based off of the game.

Here, compare this picture to the wording of the rules in the video, to the rules of Tower of Heaven.
Doesn't it seem that the tower in the video is based off of that?

Kinda :4greninja:'ad?

Last edited:

Mr. Hades

Smash Cadet

The tower from that video is based on the Tower of Heaven flash game. In said game, you have to ascend a tower, while some strange voice gives you arbitrary rules that you have to follow (don't walk left, don't touch living things, etc.). It's actually a pretty fun game, gets pretty challenging.
Thanks for some clarification there. I guess the idea of a tower in a fighting game isn't that unusual, either, and if we've learnt anthing from our good freind Mr. Prince, coincidences do happen, and it doesn't mean an awful lot.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
I dunno. I'll have to look into this, actually
This is mildly worrying.

However the ideas do seem rather different. The ToS seems to be more based on Soul Calibur's "Tower of Lost Souls" which in itself is about fighting. Not avoiding golden blocks or whatever.
I'm pretty sure ToS is based on tower of souls from soul calibur
Tower of Souls! You're right at that point! Does explain since few teams from Bandai Namco were working on Soul Calibur series too!
Wow, I'm glad I was wrong.:facepalm:

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious

That's rage-quit material right there.
Whoa.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
You've literally brought it up again. Like, right now.
You know, after we all dropped it?
Can you stop?
When I first tried dropping it. I was met with

It's fine expressing your annoyance with the guy, telling him what he has done was really dumb and a waste of time... but your words were way too harsh, no matter the intent.
Responded with

"Alright then. I'll keep my mouth shut next time. And just to anyone who thinks "Can you please die?" is a death threat, it's not. It's sarcastic. Telling someone to "Please" die indicates sarcasm, since I'm basically telling someone to do something Harsh in a nice and polite manner. Again, I'll refrain from saying something like that in the future. I just want to make it clear that nobody is threatening anyone."

All was well. That is, until the topic was dead and buried...

It seems we'll have to agree to disagree. This is why cyber bullying is such an issue in Western society (or at the very least in the United States). If you have a group of mean girls who go on someone's FB wall and post "Can you please die? :)" The message and intent behind the message is what is hurtful--it doesn't matter how many smilies or polite words like "please" they include. I'm not hounding you, but just trying to get you to understand where a lot of us were coming from. If anything, the sarcasm you have mentioned is actually just being a huge b*tch on top of it.

TL;DR--don't stoop down low to the level of the idiots on the internet. And don't tell people to die, regardless of however it's worded. :) Be happy, and don't fall for turds who make up fake leaks! :)
Resurrected. I'm totally the one who's keeping it up. And if you think me responding to people who are wrongfully accusing me of doing something means I want to keep the topic going, then **** you.

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Guys,TheTrueCorrectGuy tried dropping the subject ages ago and random people kept bringing it up. I think he learned his lesson and honestly didn't mean anything hurtful in the first place. NO MORE POSTS ABOUT IT! DROP IT!

Mr. Hades

Smash Cadet
I get the feeling this thread's being abandoned and the civilians are migrating to another one. Welp. Guess i'm stuck here.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
I get the feeling this thread's being abandoned and the civilians are migrating to another one. Welp. Guess i'm stuck here.
I'm going back and forth between both threads but honestly there's not much we can speculate in this thread until some new information emerges.

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Get an invite from @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for the Smash leak group.
The discussions are a lot more focused over there.
There isn't really much more to say about ToS until we get another half decent PotD anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. Hades

Smash Cadet
Get an invite from @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for the Smash leak group.
The discussions are a lot more focused over there.
There isn't really much more to say about ToS until we get another half decent PotD anyway.
Sounds good. Nice to know there won't be arguments and re-discussions things everyone already knows, which this thread is now, like, 80% of.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Because of flaming this thread shall be closed until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom