• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
Any leak saying the Wii U version has any characters the 3DS version doesn't is fake. Sakurai has said many, many times both versions have the same rosters. However, Tower of Smash could easily still be a real thing, just no additional fighters.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
StarFox having two is still nice, I admit. Better than Yoshi having one.

http://nintendoeverything.com/pokem...vc-games-smash-bros-mega-evolutions-and-more/ Also, the "Gamefreak has control" argument was just killed. Sakurai fully decided this. Now we wonder why. And yeah, only he could've spoken up about whether Mewtwo could be in Smash or not. He didn't have to, but how can Gamefreak when Sakurai decides it, right?
But yoshi is just an extension of mario

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
http://nintendoeverything.com/pokem...vc-games-smash-bros-mega-evolutions-and-more/ Also, the "Gamefreak has control" argument was just killed. Sakurai fully decided this. Now we wonder why. And yeah, only he could've spoken up about whether Mewtwo could be in Smash or not. He didn't have to, but how can Gamefreak when Sakurai decides it, right?
Wow, that's huge! It's been thought that Gamefreak held the reins one which Pokemon will appear at least as far back as Brawl days, probably earlier. Great find!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But yoshi is just an extension of mario
And yet it was given its own Symbol to show it's own Series. So not really. It clearly still shows ties with Mario, if the roster design is anything to note. But he's his own Universe regardless. That's why all the Babies(except Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy, as they weren't in Yoshi's Island DS) are considered part of his series. And Shy Guys. And Kamek. They mainly fall under it.

Wow, that's huge! It's been thought that Gamefreak held the reins one which Pokemon will appear at least as far back as Brawl days, probably earlier. Great find!
Was on the Social thread. Indeed. I'd be nice if they spoke up, but this could mean a lot. I'm pretty sure he had to make Mewtwo from scratch, so he was lower priority. I'm betting on DLC now assuming he's not part of the Wii U version which you can get on the 3DS version later, but it takes about a year to make someone unique, so...

And Mewtwo only has a jump similar to Ness/Lucas and of course, his Shadow Ball can be somewhat ported over by reworking Aura Sphere. But that's it. If it takes this long, I think DLC is way more likely. I'm going to wait and see, regardless.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
And yet it was given its own Symbol to show it's own Series. So not really. It clearly still shows ties with Mario, if the roster design is anything to note. But he's his own Universe regardless. That's why all the Babies(except Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy, as they weren't in Yoshi's Island DS) are considered part of his series. And Shy Guys. And Kamek. They mainly fall under it.

Was on the Social thread. Indeed. I'd be nice if they spoke up, but this could mean a lot. I'm pretty sure he had to make Mewtwo from scratch, so he was lower priority. I'm betting on DLC now assuming he's not part of the Wii U version which you can get on the 3DS version later, but it takes about a year to make someone unique, so...

And Mewtwo only has a jump similar to Ness/Lucas and of course, his Shadow Ball can be somewhat ported over by reworking Aura Sphere. But that's it. If it takes this long, I think DLC is way more likely. I'm going to wait and see, regardless.
Yoshi doesn't have any possible characters though, there's kamek. But who cares about kamek? Star Fox has tons of options yet we loose wolf, we're stuck with fox and a clone, both with terrible voices. 1 old stage and 1 old assist. Thanks sakurai for successfully giving star fox the shaft

Oh but don't forget about the wii u version where we get 1 new stage an old stage and...

Also I seriously doubt it takes a year, that's got to be some kind of translation error considering some companies can push out entire games in a year

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yoshi doesn't have any possible characters though, there's kamek. Also I seriously doubt it takes a year, that's got to be some kind of translation error considering some companies can push out entire games in a year
Yes, it takes about a year. He outright told us that's how long unique characters take.

Kamek got a strict appearance in a stage, which is nice. As have Shy Guys before. And the Baby Bros. trophy. He gives Yoshi a lot of courses, so I'd say he respects it fairly well. StarFox... not so much. I imagine magical users take a bit of effort to balance their projectiles anyway. MegaMan had to be nerfed something fierce due to his design. Unfortunately, they may have gone too far. But the tourneys are just starting, so who knows.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Any leak saying the Wii U version has any characters the 3DS version doesn't is fake. Sakurai has said many, many times both versions have the same rosters. However, Tower of Smash could easily still be a real thing, just no additional fighters.
It actually can. It's apparently done through connecting the two versions and transferring them from one to the other. He said they would have the same rosters, but he never said that the characters could all be unlocked via one console.

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
The whole thing about making a unique character taking a year, is that it probably means a unique new character. Mewtwo was already in a previous smash bros so he wouldn't take as much time or effort since he already has his own moveset. I know they probably can't really pull directly from melee (as I seem to remember something comming up like this for Dr. Mario), but they still have the moveset conceptualized.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think Mewtwo's chances are higher since Gamefreak didn't have a say. I mean, they'd want to show off newer Pokemon, obviously.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The whole thing about making a unique character taking a year, is that it probably means a unique new character. Mewtwo was already in a previous smash bros so he wouldn't take as much time or effort since he already has his own moveset. I know they probably can't really pull directly from melee (as I seem to remember something comming up like this for Dr. Mario), but they still have the moveset conceptualized.
They can only use transfer over Brawl data. Which was heavily unfinished. They couldn't get Melee data(and they did say transferring it over was very difficult to work with, not even mentioning character stuff, just courses).

Mewtwo has to be made from almost pure scratch, and will take a very long time. Maybe not a year, but still quite a while. This is why DLC is a great option, since they don't have to worry about priority and rushing the game out on time.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Considering Mewtwo has to be made from scratch effectively means he'll probably have a new moveset, maybe even be considered a pseudo newcomer of sorts because of it.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
They can only use transfer over Brawl data. Which was heavily unfinished. They couldn't get Melee data(and they did say transferring it over was very difficult to work with, not even mentioning character stuff, just courses).

Mewtwo has to be made from almost pure scratch, and will take a very long time. Maybe not a year, but still quite a while. This is why DLC is a great option, since they don't have to worry about priority and rushing the game out on time.
They made 49 characters with 8 different customs within 3 years...
Making Mewtwo would probably take a little more then a month. lol

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
They made 49 characters with 8 different customs within 3 years...
Making Mewtwo would probably take a little more then a month. lol
Have you guys ever thought that a whole bunch of people are working on one character at a time? There may be some truth to characters taking seriously long to make.

We haven't seen how the game was developed from the inside out.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Have you guys ever thought that a whole bunch of people are working on one character at a time? There may be some truth to characters taking seriously long to make.

We haven't seen how the game was developed from the inside out.
Well...Sakurai did say every character was made from scratch...

Naoshi

Well...Sakurai did say every character was made from scratch...
Once again, it's pretty obvious that a lot of characters were being developed at a time. Do you seriously believe they (when they have A LOT of employees working on this game) only focused on one character at a time?

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
To be fair, even in Melee he was a little broken. I'm pretty sure his deflect was supposed to actually reflect projectiles into their attacker, not give the illusion that they had a harmless projectile coming their way. I always had the impression he was a last minute addition even back then, and I thought I had a reason for thinking that but unfortunately it's been way too long since Melee to reference anything relevant to back that.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Once again, it's pretty obvious that a lot of characters were being developed at a time. Do you seriously believe they (when they have A LOT of employees working on this game) only focused on one character at a time?
xD No...I'm only saying it probably doesn't take too long to actually make a character. It probably takes more time to balance the character in accordance to the rest of the cast, imo.

Naoshi

...Because it's true, and it's likely him just answering a question asking if it was possible to import data from Melee.

xD No...I'm only saying it probably doesn't take too long to actually make a character. It probably takes more time to balance the character in accordance to the rest of the cast, imo.
You said it would them a month to complete a character. A lot of the process includes balancing, like you've said, which means they have to playtest the character a whole lot. That would not take a month, because there is A LOT of tweaking involved.

Last edited:

Naoshi

But it shows that data from previous games is used meaning they weren't really made from scratch
Hmmm...

He probably imported data from Brawl as a base and used them as reference, or have taking a few things while most of it is relatively from scratch. I really don't know, I'd like to see that article where he has said the characters are done from scratch, because as is, it does sound a bit vague.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why would you trust a stranger? Anyone could make anything up. I just don't get my hopes up for stuff.
This guys is one of the guys who Dump and Leak the secret Pokemon Event from XY and Mega-Lati@s .

So yeah , i belive him .

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
eh.... I don't believe leaks that don't have definite evidence. but that is just me.
That's not a leak . It's a ROM Dump . Were all the data are in Hexadecimal , he just translate them ... and found that a lot of Brawl SSE assest are used/scrapped/hidden in Smash Run .

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
You know, they could port over Mewtwo's Brawl data......

Apparently, he was one of the seven characters who were found in brawl's files, the other including Dr. Mario and Dixie among others.
The thing about Mewtwo thou was that out of all the scrapped characters, he was the most finished. In fact, although I could be mistaken, his Project M version was made mostly up of his unfinished brawl data. So they do have some data for Mewtwo they can port over. Same for Dixie (thou not as much)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know, they could port over Mewtwo's Brawl data......

Apparently, he was one of the seven characters who were found in brawl's files, the other including Dr. Mario and Dixie among others.
The thing about Mewtwo thou was that out of all the scrapped characters, he was the most finished. In fact, although I could be mistaken, his Project M version was made mostly up of his unfinished brawl data. So they do have some data for Mewtwo they can port over. Same for Dixie (thou not as much)
Those data was ... really early . And cannot be used . PM team do Mewtwo from Scratch ...

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Whatever the time it takes I'm sure they are did not thought of about making the character just NOW. They have thought about it already months ago, hell, maybe since last year. So it doesn't matter how we discuss the time it takes to make a character from scratch, because the time they chose to work on every character that has been planned is being worked on already since long ago. Professionals don't work on new ideas the day or week or month before release date you know, at those times, they are already making sure everything is ok before launching the game.

So don't be afraid of any character's chances just because you thought of its chances just early. If the character is in, then the developers have been working on it since a while ago already, that's just how it is.

Whatever new ideas come out now, they will surely end being DLC or something like that in the near future.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Eh, there's a reason I specifically refrained from bringing up P:M Mewtwo in my last post - its not fair to compare a new game in production to a mod of an already completed game.

The P:M team had more liberties - they focused their efforts toward a specific crowd (the competitive scene), they simplified the stages they didn't use directly, and they didn't need to recreate a ton of assets to get the character working. Sakurai's team would have had to create a new model, on top of building new stages, get that character behaving properly among all those stages, get that character balanced between a much larger roster than P:M's, make sure the character was both approachable from a casual standpoint and deep enough for a professional player to appreciate, all the while taking orders from Nintendo and its shareholders.

In the end, it really comes down to priorities - and when we're talking about a character that's historically proven himself to be difficult to implement, it's no wonder why he keeps getting shunted to the bottom. However, with DLC it's practically inevitable we'll see him - if not with ToS, then perhaps with DLC alongside the release of Pokkén Fighters.

So don't be afraid of any character's chances just because you thought of its chances just early. If the character is in, then the developers have been working on it since a while ago already, that's just how it is.

Whatever new ideas come out now, they will surely end being DLC or something like that in the near future.
Quoted for truth! I hope the people dropping expletives and calling for the man's head realize this when they see that one character they didn't get pop up sooner or later.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
You know, it's nice to see a lot of users from the old Ridley thread here. After it was locked I kind of started to miss everyone and how dedicated everyone was. Hopefully this leak becomes real, then maybe they'll open the thread one last time for us to celebrate.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
How is it impossible if the 3DS gets the characters somehow too? They said they'd be the same, but not when. Why so up on the Wii U not having extra characters initially? 3DS players would get them too. Seems silly to be against it at all. If it's just because they've said they'd be the same, well that still stays true so again I see no issue.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
How is it impossible if the 3DS gets the characters somehow too? They said they'd be the same, but not when. Why so up on the Wii U not having extra characters initially? 3DS players would get them too. Seems silly to be against it at all. If it's just because they've said they'd be the same, well that still stays true so again I see no issue.
Exactly. What can I say...ppl are either in denial or their brains can't understand that when talk about extra characters we mean that they can be applied to the 3ds too lol

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. What can I say...ppl are either in denial or their brains can't understand that when talk about extra characters we mean that they can be applied to the 3ds too lol
Dyguren I still want to know where your Ridley avatar came from! :mad088:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom