• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Towards the end of my days with SSBB, but...

Snakeee

Smash Master
Hey guys. This is a random rant about how I've been feeling about the game, and what I plan to do with it now. Read it only if you feel like it, but don't post saying how stupid or emo it is because if you don't like it, DON'T READ IT! :p

My placings lately have been pretty much all over the place. I got 4th at a NJ tourney a month ago which shocked a few ppl here and maybe even myself lol. Then I went to one other tourney that was kind of "so-so" I guess. Now I did HORRENDOUS at today's tourney in NJ. I started off on the right foot for sure, beating RJ (NJ Lucario player who's improved significantly lately and I have quite some psychological metagame with) and then I had a really fun, to the wire set with MVD. He apparently does really well vs NR and knew the MU well. He won game 3, last stock, both over 100% and all. I CP'ed him to Rainbow even knowing that he loves that stage and the one set i saw of him vs NR, the one game NR lost was on RC lol. I still felt that I'd have the adv there, but tbh I haven't played there in quite a while.

Anyway, after that set I somehow managed to lose against a local Fox player o_O . He definitely had some skill, but it was still a huge, huge upset for me. That MU is one where I feel like if I forget how to approach the MU at all, things just go horribly wrong :c . (Despite having the low % 0-death, they very rarely get hit by it, and using d-smash on Fox too much makes your game ridiculously obvious and easy to combat) I was definitely playing the MU wrong, and I didn't completely adjust until the end of game 3, but by then even though I managed to make a comeback the stress kinda got to me. I find it actually a lot harder to maintain comebacks vs a player that I wasn't expecting to lose against vs even the very top players.

I know what you're all thinking, but I wasn't really "sleeping on" my opponent, and I try and always remind myself not to underestimate anyone. It's especially important nowadays where it seems there are almost no random newcomers at ALL (at least in my region). When we get someone new around here, it's more likely that we'll be seeing some new talent and potential rather than extra money for the pot.

My main issue right now with this game is in losing my motivation. Like a lot of us that were very competitive from the get go since the game came out, things are becoming more and more trite and repetitive within the game itself. There are very few if any new AT's and the like that are any significant nowadays, and mostly the only reason there's still energy for this game is because of the hype we make for it. The smash community has mostly been really cool and fun imo. It's really the only reason some of us stick around so long especially considering all the ppl that seem to complain about the game over and over every tourney >_> .

I'm not done yet though :p . I don't plan on quitting this game just yet, and the main reason is because I don't feel like I've managed to make it to the level I really wanted to and feel I'm capable of. Yes, during a certain time frame, ranks-wise I had been considered MUCH more highly than I am generally considered nowadays. At first, losing the attention did manage to get to me I have to admit. I realized eventually that it was very silly of me to think like that, and I didn't want to have such a need for attention anyway. I have to admit though, it can still be nice to be recognized, and it can also be very frustrating when people consistently place you at a level far lower than you believe you are even when you're pretty damn sure that you're right :awesome:.

I really want to make it to the top before I leave. It's not super important that I do, or that I know for a fact that I'll be able to do it, but I'm going to at least try to ;) . I can't do very good at all in anything I like doing without a strong motivation. My random placings almost definitely have a lot to do with this. When I play a top player, I feel much more of a need to prove something, so I end up giving it my all much more than when I play an average player. Against the average player, I lose interest and thus lose focus. But, if I make it a point in my head that I still have these goals to achieve, I'm sure I'll be able to manage to put more effort into each and every match I play.

The degree to which ppl in this community tend to rate each other can be pretty ridiculous though. I'm all for competition, rivalry, and all that stuff but it gets pretty absurd. Someone's skill in a game of any sort shouldn't have anything to do with how someone judges them as a person. Yeah yeah, this sounds cheesy as hell but whatever it's what I see happen consistently, and I just think it's ********. As much as I love the smash community, I think we need to calm down with that stuff. It's great to give ppl credit for their skill and all, but....well you get what I mean probably. Ive ranted too much here. This was going to be just part of a reply I was making on the ZSS Video thread, but my attention-deficit self somehow can't get himself to stop doing whatever he happens to be doing. @_@

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I can feel you on the inconsistant placings, albeit definitely not on the same level.

and with the second-to-last paragraph too, but for different reasons..

We need to talk more orz.

Thanks for indirectly helping me alleviate my frustrations with how bad I've been playing lately :>

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
been a long time since i posted here but years ago when ATs were being refined I remember you above the others as both a great ZSS player, but more importantly a great, honest, helpful member of the community. The last part really was obvious in threads with other great ZSS players who were ****s for whatever reason. Its not surprising you don't equate personal merit to skill, since you conduct yourself how you do on these boards.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I can feel you on the inconsistant placings, albeit definitely not on the same level.

and with the second-to-last paragraph too, but for different reasons..

We need to talk more orz.

Thanks for indirectly helping me alleviate my frustrations with how bad I've been playing lately :>
Heh, np I'd be happy to try and help you with your own frustrations if you want too. Even if I can't really help telling someone else always makes things a bit clearer. And yup, we should def talk more ^.^
...Btw, sweet avy ;) That's the "trap" character from Inazuma Eleven, right? A show that I only know of bc there's a trap(ish?) character in the first place XD

been a long time since i posted here but years ago when ATs were being refined I remember you above the others as both a great ZSS player, but more importantly a great, honest, helpful member of the community. The last part really was obvious in threads with other great ZSS players who were ****s for whatever reason. Its not surprising you don't equate personal merit to skill, since you conduct yourself how you do on these boards.
Wow, thanks a lot I didn't really expect a response like that :bee:
I have let the whole "battle of the egos" get to me and at certain times I became an elitist myself. It's something that happens really subconsciously (for me at least) over time, and as you get better at whatever it is you're doing as far as competition. You have to try and realize when the line is being crossed though, and someone is being judged for more than just their skill in some game. Also, rivalry can actually be a great thing that promotes competitors to improve their game more than they normally would because it's extra motivation.

On a side note, one thing I forgot to mention are the typical biases towards players that just make no sense logically at all. One example is what I'll call "short term bias." Here, I'm referring to the fact that everyone and their mother seems to put WAYYY too much emphasis on the results of only a very small amount of tournaments or even assess a player based on one given tourney. This is absolutely ridiculous. It's actually pretty hysterical to me, since I also play a game (poker) where you need a sample size of around 100,000 hands to even just have a solid idea of whether or not you're a winning player, and how significant your edge may be in the game. Obviously, I'm not saying you need to look at 100,000 matches to know where a player stands in SSBB, but even so an accurate analysis of a player would still probably take a sample size greater than the amount of tournaments the person has played! :awesome:

Last thing I want to mention is people need to get this crazy idea out of their heads that outcomes of a lot of matches are "set in stone." Almost everyone seems to assume that 'player X' will always, always win against 'player Y.' This is especially the case if player X happens to be someone like M2K or Ally, and player Y is...everyone else except for the very few players that are considered to be near that level. Now, yeah of course if we have a top level player facing a barely above average one, we're bound to have some degree of expectation of the top player winning. However, this is still never a guaranteed win for the elite player by any means. One big problem with this logic is that people start to feel that they will never be able to move up because of how things seem so set for them, and everyone else that competes. I'm really tired of seeing people actually FORFEIT matches because they say that they know they're going to lose to "insert top player's name here." That is extreme, defeatist logic and I really hate to see the same approach iin more important things in life.

...Wowwww, I ramble a LOT. Sorry about that o_O
Snakeeeeeeeee IRC ~~~
I'll start going on more. Probably will go on at some point tomorrow.
Omg I gotta sleep it's 7:30 A.M. here right now X_X

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
******' Fox man.....

Snakeee, I don't want to say I truly understand the way you're feeling, but I kinda do. I can somewhat understand the feeling it is to not be as consistent as you want to be and since you're a top ZSS, it's like you have to live up to that title every single time. It can be unfair but unfortunately it comes with the territory.

I'd hate to see you stop playing, but I support whatever decision you make for yourself Snakeee.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Sorry to hear, wish I actually met yah but gl on life and bad placings do happen , you prob where worn out from MVD because that does happen but hopefully you will come back. Hopefully you will come back

SASSY

Smash Journeyman
I feel ya, Fox scares the crap out of me honestly. I either do amazing or horrible vs good foxes. It seems like when they get the lead, I feel kinda helpless.

And MVD is tough. He took me to Green Greens game 3 at MLG Columbus, and came back to time me out when I was on the verge of 3-stocking him.. >< The dude is clutch.. no shame in that loss.

But I know what it's like to have people constantly sleeping on you. For like a year, I've been taking my regions best players to game 3 last hit etc, but most of the time I just choke when it's clutch. I find it hard to stay consistent with ZSS, because every match-up seems to require a different mindset, but I'm getting there I think. Don't give up either plz!

BTW, I actually did pretty well this weekend, probably since I've actually been practicing! But I lost to our best Diddy in winners and losers, all super close matches. HALP.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Snakeee cheer up bro your Zss ***** and you are also really helpful I remember when you helped me with my recovery with Zss your always positive your real smart and educated I really think you can make it back to placing very high in tournaments also at DNA where I met you you almost beat Fatal I was so pumped even tho he is in my region I wanted you to win because I felt like you worked for that win and had what it took to beat him but sadly you got unlucky and lol don't tell Fatal I said that.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Back in the days when Brawl was new, a young lad stood out among the rest and shone like a bright star for us fellow ZSS players. As I made my home here on the boards and kept things in order, this brave soul did what I had only hoped I could accomplish, and made a name for ZSS in the competitive scene. Even in his faltering days may we look back upon his achievements, and thank him for bringing glory to our blonde heroine.

Browny

Smash Hater
The degree to which ppl in this community tend to rate each other can be pretty ridiculous though. I'm all for competition, rivalry, and all that stuff but it gets pretty absurd. Someone's skill in a game of any sort shouldn't have anything to do with how someone judges them as a person.
QFT x 9001

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Back in the days when Brawl was new, a young lad stood out among the rest and shone like a bright star for us fellow ZSS players. As I made my home here on the boards and kept things in order, this brave soul did what I had only hoped I could accomplish, and made a name for ZSS in the competitive scene. Even in his faltering days may we look back upon his achievements, and thank him for bringing glory to our blonde heroine.
Maybe you did, but some of us had to live in his shadow... :urg:

Just kidding, of course. His ZSS gave me something to aspire to.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
lol dont worry bout it Snakeee, thats why matchup knowledge is always important. Those "random" characters can get you sometimes. Oh and iono what Flamewave is talking about; you lost to a good Fox. That fool lost to a noob Sonic.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Wow, thanks guys for the positive feedback o.o

I'm feeling better and better lately about how I want to approach competing in things I really like, and basically my outlook on life in general feels much better. I don't think it's just "feelings" though because I've been putting a lot of thought into it all logically. It actually seems like a synergy of both logical reasoning, and human emotion is what it takes to realize one's true potential in all regards. I probably sound crazy again, but whatever idc :p. I hope some ppl can make some sense out of the madness I write, and hopefully I might end up actually saying something they can use, heheh. It really is never my intention to sound all profound when I say stuff that's supposed to pertain to this game, but I guess that's just the way I approach a lot of things *shrug*.

What I said above reminds me of something that I definitely think is very important to competing in something like smash though: the "zen" state of mind that will allow you to play optimally is a similar type of "synergy" like I mentioned. What you should always be aiming for is a state of 'calm energy,' a focus that is fueled by your desire to break your limits and exceed what even you believe you should be capable of. But your emotions need to also be kept in check by your logical side, and maintained in a balance where both compliment each other. I've been in such a state on rare occasions, and it is absolutely incredible. My goal is to be able to enter that mode at will.

Top Bottom