• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournies No Longer Go Here (Small discussion on new TL, read first post!)

Purple

Hi guys!
It should be in both. That was how the old system worked.

I feel like this change is oriented towards TOs and not tournament attendees. Tournament attendees' needs are more important than TOs'. TOs are supposed to accommodate tournament attendees.
It was halfway like that. People posted it in their regional zone but didn't have to post it in TL. This system forces people to do that.

I guess you could ask if the discussion thread can be in the atlantic south section if it bugs you that much though.

I mena really, the point of this is to allow tournaments to be put into the tournament calendar. If TOs are doing that I don't see why they can't post the discussion threads here and be on their merry way.

And about the weeklies/monthlies afro, their considered 'smashfests with an entry fee'.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Ok first of all I apologize for the overwhelming length of this post. It was not intended to be this long, but it ended up that way. I tried. I’m not trying to hinder discussion by posting something too long.

@ Masky regarding: There was a huge problem when a national (or any) tournament was posted in both forums:
and @ One Janitor regarding: This change was not arbitrary:
and @ Anyone else who doesn't understand the reasoning behind this change:
[collapse=significant wall of text be afraid!]
  • Having two threads open means the TO has much more to check, and requires many many extra clicks (to get to different forums, open both threads to the first page with potential updates, copy pastaing new edits, reading new pages of both threads, and many more.)
  • Both threads would have to compete in both forums for attention. One thread could easily fall off the first page of one forum. If it's on the second page of the RZ, locals don't see it. On the second page of TL and it's not considered big or national. Either one of these happening severely hurts attendance/hype.
  • If two threads are made and one dies out (as would frequently happen,) the same problems are experienced as listed in the last bullet.
  • It also increases the number of threads on smashboards (this is a minor point but still holds a small amount of weight.) There becomes duplicate threads, one of which is useless.
So really, any tournament should only be in one place. Historically it hadn't been done that way, but that doesn't mean it isn't done poorly, (I mean historically humanity has traveled on foot rather than by car, but don't you think flying is better?) Yes things worked--more or less--before the change. But we can improve them anyway. The change improves all of the problems I just mentioned. That allows me to my first point: All tournaments should only have one thread. I certainly hope we can all agree that having one thread in one room is better than having multiple threads for one tournament in multiple rooms.

If you think that having 2 or more threads for one tournament is better than having 1, please let me know and explain why. The only potential argument I can see for it is that having only 1 thread means that less people will see it, but when everyone must go to one place to view any tournament, this argument is invalidated. Now that Atlantic South lurkers and Tournament national-ers must go to the same place to see upcoming tournaments, the same amount of people would see the one thread now, compared to the amount of people if there were two threads a week ago.

So then, why have we put all tournament threads in one room?
All tournaments in one location means that upon entering TLings to view your regions tournaments, you must see at least one tournament from another region. These would be the stickied tournaments, and so more people actually see RoM3's thread. Why this is better than before:
  • Under the old system, very few (and shrinking) people went into TLings, so this change decreases the potential for someone to have no idea that the next Pound has already been scheduled. It makes national tournaments more public.
  • It is also better because if all tournaments were located only in their regional zones (I have already discussed why having them in both locations is not optimal,) this means you would have to potentially search up to ~7 more forums to check for national tournaments. When looking through those forums you may even have to pass over a few PRing threads, which increases your scanning workload even more. If you are attending a national tournament, it means that you do not have to load a different forum to check the thread. (Even if you don't go there often.)
  • It discourages regional separatism. Let's face it: as a community, we aren't exactly the poster-child of competitive gaming. If we want to continue to play our favorite games, and attend tournaments, we need to be as unified as possible. The more separation that happens, the more individual pockets die out, and the more 64/Melee/Brawl fades. Think about the smashers who don't play anymore. Most of them didn't announce "I'm retiring," but just kind of stopped coming to tournaments... slowly. We need to be connected as much as possible. Putting tournaments in one room allows easy contrast to the activity of other areas, and can encourage people to get their stuff together. (This is slightly a minor point, but I think it has a significant affect. You're allowed to go lolstupid to this one though.)
  • Having them in one room helps people who may live on or close to the edge of a region. Shouldn't have to explain why. Obviously Florida doesn't run into this problem/benefit.
  • In one room means we can link one calendar. From what I know, we cannot link multiple rooms to one calendar. Having them in TL means you can easily see national tournaments happening on the same weekend as local tournaments. This helps Tournament Organizers specifically, but also assists attendees, by potentially sparking their interest in that out of region tournament.
So for at least all of those reasons, (there are probably others I'm missing,) I can make my second assertion: All tournaments belong in one location. At least, for those reasons, having them in one location is better than having them in many.

One tournament, one thread, one room for all tourneys.[/collapse]

As for Monthly tournaments:
Currently they are not in TL. At least the ones which reuse the same thread. This is because if you click on a calendar date to see the events then, they are sorted based on replies. Not having them in TL prevents monthly tournaments with 3,000 posts from being listed above Apex. This is the functional reason for leaving them in the RZs.

Other cosmetic reasons are: Monthly tournaments which reuse the same thread generally don't draw large crowds. Maybe once every half year or so they will, but the attendance for something reusing the thread is generally much less than a tournament which commands its own thread. They basically function like smashfests with entry fees.

If operators of monthlies/biweeklies/etc want OOS interest, and they actually have a good showing which deserves OOS interest, or if those tournaments want to be listed in the calendar, they'll need to make different threads for their different tournaments, instead of reusing the same one over and over.

More @ Janitor:
You're right. The site does become more difficult to navigate at first. Remember when we separated CF and Ganon into two different character rooms? Or when the Regional boards were created? Or when the Social boards were created? Or when the Brawl boards were created? Or when the 64 Back Room was created? Every single time it's gotten harder to navigate. Of course it has, you are forced to learn a new part of the site. But it gets easier once you've learned it, doesn't it? Or are you still struggling with navigating to the Gentleman's Club (Hint: It's called "Eugenio Forever" now.)

Protesting because the site is more difficult is allowed (confusion is a distressing thing!) But to claim or pretend that it won't get easier when you get used to it is pretty ridiculous.

Regarding (Afro’s) Convenience:
I assume you never looked at the second page of the Atlantic South. But frequently there were very good threads on that page.

And that’s an extra click to get to those too.

So it used to be a scattered mess of threads divided over the first two pages. Now you’ve still got two pages to load, but they’re organized within those two pages.

U CNVEANT?

Ok, ok, so you never (ever) looked at the second page, or clicked on the “2” ever on smashboards. Well, now there’s room for growth again.

I mean we could put all Regional Tournaments in one room, and all Regional PRs in one room, and all other tournaments in that same room (in case you were going out of region!), and all brawl character discussion in that one room (because you gotta check on new snake techs!), and all forum games in one room (hopefully they sticky your mafia game!), and so on and so on. Then all of smashboards could just be one room and you wouldn’t even have to load the home page!!!

Obviously we have to draw the line for what goes in a room somewhere. Usually this happens when rooms start to get too full. This is just a redrawing of the line, because Regional Zones and Social Rooms were pretty full, as evidenced by continually having active topics on the second page. Now some of the things which were in the Social room can fill into the RZ, and other topics can become more active in the regional zone too.

We are encouraging suggestions because some people may have really good ideas. I've already taken a few suggestions I've seen back to the developers.
We are encouraging discussion because we think we can help people through the transition. For instance, there have been a few times people have not been aware that you can sort based on location. This discussion has helped that. We are also not abusing our mod powers by locking all threads concerning this change. That could be done, but that wouldn't be right.

Also: Stop attacking Jamaal/Roxxy/Katy for his attempts to help you. If you want us to be difficult/bad/hardass mods we can certainly become that way. It's cool that y'all are completely ungrateful. Really. We are the first region to publicly encourage discussion about this topic that I'm aware of; it's really ****-ish to thank us by attacking us.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
All this sounds like is you making a function of this site that was more or less dead, be made of use. No one was complaining about how things were done, and whether or not multiple threads needed to be made.

If I'm going to host a tournament, I have an idea, already, as to the number of attendance. Where I placed my thread(s) could help support that number I had in mind. Now, I think I'd be worried I'd draw more attention to the event with this set-up. Sometimes that's a good thing, but I don't like having big events.

This is like forcing folks to use the Tournament setting IN melee for tournaments.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I like how you made an entire arguement against me based on you guessing i've never gone to page 2. Don't know how to tell you this man but if a thread im looking for is on page 2, i went to page 2. This is pretty rare though because all the threads i read are bustling with activity woohoo.

I only need to read 3 or 4 different threads, now they are in 3 different places.

CVNEANT? No i think not.
I didn't attack anyone by the way. If anything it was me who was attacked.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
@ BBQ
Pretty short and probably important for most people to read]
Hopefully that won't be necessary, as everyone must check tournament listings to see tournaments. Although threads like the The Florida Thread have become more important as a way to check upcoming tourneys in a specific state.
actually I think it will be necessary. Even when the tournaments were advertised in the atlantic south, there were a bunch of people who didn't know about them (mostly GA brawl ***s lol). They just didn't leave the 1 Waba tournament thread we have, and most of the time we have to advertise in the WABA TOURNAMENT thread for other tourneys. lmao.

Purple

Hi guys!
And anyone else who was having this supposed problem of keeping track of tournaments also could of subscribed to threads. But i think both sides are just ignoring that option.
While regular attendants can just subscribe, TOs have to look at every forum to check dates. This new system makes that easier.

exarch

doot doot doot
Xalt: I checked your infraction page yesterday when looking at your signature. You've gotten 1 warning and no infractions. If you think that mods are making it hard on you, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Mods are not trying to make things hard for you, they are trying to enforce the rules. Also why haven't you changed your sig yet?

ZIO: Just because we've always done it that way doesn't mean it isn't broken, or can't be improved. You can cap tournaments if you're that worried about explosive attendance.

BBQ: Sounds like the change doesn't really affect them then. Hopefully everyone who knows how to crawl out of the Waba thread will figure the new system out, and others who don't, well you'll still have to post your tourneys in the Waba thread either way. Also if you disagree, you disagree. I think if it does have an affect it will be minor, and hopefully the other benefits strongly outweigh those small losses, (if they exist.)

Afro:

Actually if you'd actually read my post, you'd know that it was absolutely not based on you never going to page 2.

The first half of my argument was actually worthless if you'd never been to page 2. The fact that you have been on page 2 means that you've been forced to have an extra click to see some threads in the Atlantic South. Guess what? That one click is now to a sorted TLings rather than page 2 A.S. It's zero more work for you in that situation. In fact it's negative work because you don't have to mentally sort through the threads on each page as much. They are presorted into tournaments or nontournaments.

The second half of the logic was describe how this step was necessary even if someone had never been on page 2 (and therefore this change actually gave them an extra click.) Whether or not you had actually been on page 2, (it's called hyperbole btw) is irrelevant to the significance of what I posted.

I like how forumers criticize moderators for not reading posts and don't bother reading them themselves. XP

Also I don't understand why people make it general forumers vs moderators. The vogue thing to do right now is to claim that all moderators are 40 year olds who don't play smash. I swear we're not much different than y'all. Just the bionic fingers. And 10 inch *****es.

AfroQT

Smash Master
You still haven't explained how the 4 threads i read being in 3 different places instead of 2 makes things easier. I also said that rarely are the threads i read on page 2. Now, i always absolutely have to check the "2nd page" aka TL (which isn't 1 click away btw rofl).

NOT CNVEANT
I like how Tommys thread just stopped getting activity once it got moved to TL WONDER WHY THAT IS PROBABLY NO REAL REASON

exarch

doot doot doot
Now you're just becoming pedantic. I've explained the many benefits of the new system over and over. I've explained how sometimes the new system adds absolutely nothing new to the number of clicks you've made (btw from what I have seen they're working on adding a direct link from regional zones to a filtered tourney listings, so that will be 1 click.)

If you're seriously only focused on your 4 threads for your one user (before now I had thought you were talking more general than 4 threads,) and if you are seriously that concerned about 2/1 clicks, and if what you're searching for is "omg yes. sometimes you will have to click once more to see that third thread." There you go. You got it. I hope you enjoy the moral victory.

I hope you also don't ignore the many many posts I've now made explaining why this is superior to the old system and that the benefits which are numerous, outweigh that 1 extra click.

While your original argument was based on "for me, this has added a huge hassle to my normal experience on smashboards." I didn't realize 2 clicks that will be 1 click now are that big a deal. To repeat what Jamaal said, you could just subscribe to those threads and have them all in once place, that'd save you like 2 or 3 clicks. If 1 or 2 makes that big a deal to you, I think it's a significant counterargument to yours.

*exasperated*

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As I figured. There's no point in complaining, cause you've already made the change and will stay steadfast in your choice.

It's like arguing with a religious person.

It doesn't bother me much, just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I rarely go to tournament, and even less host one, so this change doesn't effect me in the least.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Now you're just becoming pedantic. I've explained the many benefits of the new system over and over. I've explained how sometimes the new system adds absolutely nothing new to the number of clicks you've made (btw from what I have seen they're working on adding a direct link from regional zones to a filtered tourney listings, so that will be 1 click.)

If you're seriously only focused on your 4 threads for your one user (before now I had thought you were talking more general than 4 threads,) and if you are seriously that concerned about 2/1 clicks, and if what you're searching for is "omg yes. sometimes you will have to click once more to see that third thread." There you go. You got it. I hope you enjoy the moral victory.

I hope you also don't ignore the many many posts I've now made explaining why this is superior to the old system and that the benefits which are numerous, outweigh that 1 extra click.

While your original argument was based on "for me, this has added a huge hassle to my normal experience on smashboards." I didn't realize 2 clicks that will be 1 click now are that big a deal. To repeat what Jamaal said, you could just subscribe to those threads and have them all in once place, that'd save you like 2 or 3 clicks. If 1 or 2 makes that big a deal to you, I think it's a significant counterargument to yours.

*exasperated*
For someone that regularly attends tournaments like myself definitely not seeing any benefits to tournamenst now being in 2 separate locations.

I don't understand----what YOU don't understand about this. Monthlies/Weeklies and "Tournaments" (rofl w/e the **** difference that is supposed to be THEY ARE ALL TOURNAMENTS) in 2 separate boards that are in no way at all connected means i have to look for new threads and keep myself updated on threads in 2 separate locations. I would subscribe to threads, but seeing as new threads that concern me are generally made in ATLSouth/GentlemenClub, i come here. I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by looking for new threads and seeing which ones have been replied/updated by hitting refresh on 1 tab. NOW that is not the case. I don't even know how this is being discussed. I have to go to a complete different area of smashboards to check "tournaments", and another to check "monthlies/weeklies" (i seriously laugh everytime i think of those being separated).

How the hell are you going to tell me how many times i have to click, like your sitting right next to me. Currently everytime i want to check Tommy G's thread (Which was moved) i have to go to TL OR to the thread i made (Which btw wouldn't even be needed, if it was just here where everyone who needs to see it could see it). I mean what the hell is so confusing about this. TommyG's tournament should be all the proof anyone needs to see how this is not helping ATLSouth at the very least, but hey its helping ATLNorth GOOD CHANGE.

exarch

doot doot doot
(ninja'd by afro)
@ZIO
Can I just start quoting myself?
exarch said:
We are encouraging suggestions because some people may have really good ideas. I've already taken a few suggestions I've seen back to the developers.
We are encouraging discussion because we think we can help people through the transition. For instance, there have been a few times people have not been aware that you can sort based on location. This discussion has helped that. We are also not abusing our mod powers by locking all threads concerning this change. That could be done, but that wouldn't be right.
So no, there are no intentions currently to change it back. A few individuals put a lot of work into this, so to change it back before people could get used to it/a week/a month would be ridiculous.

However, having this discussion/place for complaints, we can help people through the change. There is also a place for suggestions, if individuals can actually identify: 'this sucks but this would make it better.' Like if y'all could work on constructive criticism, instead of FFFFUUUUUU, that'd be great.

Discussion usually does not result in one party being convinced/switching sides, but in an understanding of both sides by both sides. It's like arguing with an atheist, you've already made your decision and will stay steadfast in your choice.

@Afro:
Tournaments used to be in two places before the change too. It was less common than how it started when the RZs were first implemented because of a gradual shift in preference toward the RZ.
[collapse=You've already read this before, but I'm illustrating how I've already responded to concerns again]
exarch said:
Currently they are not in TL. At least the ones which reuse the same thread. This is because if you click on a calendar date to see the events then, they are sorted based on replies. Not having them in TL prevents monthly tournaments with 3,000 posts from being listed above Apex. This is the functional reason for leaving them in the RZs.

Other cosmetic reasons are: Monthly tournaments which reuse the same thread generally don't draw large crowds. Maybe once every half year or so they will, but the attendance for something reusing the thread is generally much less than a tournament which commands its own thread. They basically function like smashfests with entry fees.

If operators of monthlies/biweeklies/etc want OOS interest, and they actually have a good showing which deserves OOS interest, or if those tournaments want to be listed in the calendar, they'll need to make different threads for their different tournaments, instead of reusing the same one over and over.
[/collapse]
So what I'm saying is you're pointing the finger at the wrong person, get the TO to start making individual threads.

Also Monthly tournaments may end up being moved to TLings as well. I've explained functionally why we don't do it this way yet. Can you think of a way to fix our functional problem? (See collapsed/quoted text)

AfroQT

Smash Master
(ninja'd by afro)
@ZIO
Can I just start quoting myself?

So no, there are no intentions currently to change it back. A few individuals put a lot of work into this, so to change it back before people could get used to it/a week/a month would be ridiculous.

However, having this discussion/place for complaints, we can help people through the change. There is also a place for suggestions, if individuals can actually identify: 'this sucks but this would make it better.' Like if y'all could work on constructive criticism, instead of FFFFUUUUUU, that'd be great.

Discussion usually does not result in one party being convinced/switching sides, but in an understanding of both sides by both sides.

I did offer a suggestion, TL can become National Tournament Land, leave everything the way it was. This way if you have a venue that can hold lots of people, or you want National Attention, you can post it in that forum as well as your regional forum. You can even link them together (by just posting links to the other threads in the OP).

Purple

Hi guys!
Well Afro for one, as much as I hate to say it ATL South really isn't -all- that important.

At least in comparison.

It's safe to say that larger (in other words, a larger deal of the community) regions can be helped by this change, which is more important. You can't please them all, but you can please a majority, which is what was done.

You are ignoring the fact you can subscribe to threads (you can even make it so when you post it subscribes for you; it's what I use and it helps a lot). If you were to make use of the User CP, would there be any other problems for you?

@zio - I find it hard to take your post seriously considering you're a person who literally isn't affected at all by this.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That's okay, though. No one should ever take me seriously.

Advice for the future.

DJRome

Smash Hero
the point is, the calendar is gay

seriously, if i wanted to know what a tournament worth going to is, i go to tl. cause that's where the big ones are at. someone could have a nice op, but in rz, it could be any size. but there are no chumpers in tl and if there are, it's obv from the op.

basically, **** ******s

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Xalt: If you think that mods are making it hard on you, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Mods are not trying to make things hard for you.

Dumb ***** lol I have 3 infraction points FOR NO REASON LOLOLOLOL

Smashboards = Mods abusing powers YEEEEEAAA!

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Aren't people suppose to get infracted for trolling? Both of those above posts fit this definition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
What is the SWF definition of trolling?

It's a serious question. I don't want to get infracted for anything that I'm unsure of. I'd rather enjoy smashboards rather than always be paranoid on it.

I wish I didnt have to worry about being paranoid about mods giving me infractions either. But I guess that's just isn't happening.

I just cant win...even when I win...I can't win.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
"Well Afro for one, as much as I hate to say it ATL South really isn't -all- that important."

I'm sorry you think that way, but the people who live in ATL South and care about the community thinks we're very important to each other. That's what the REGIONAL ZONES are for. People in their respective regions talking about others in their own region.

Seeing how one sided the people in the argument were, I'm not even going to bother ("I'm right. You're wrong. There's nothing you can say that says I'm wrong even with pure evidence.")

Purple

Hi guys!
"Well Afro for one, as much as I hate to say it ATL South really isn't -all- that important."

I'm sorry you think that way, but the people who live in ATL South and care about the community thinks we're very important to each other. That's what the REGIONAL ZONES are for. People in their respective regions talking about others in their own region.

Seeing how one sided the people in the argument were, I'm not even going to bother ("I'm right. You're wrong. There's nothing you can say that says I'm wrong even with pure evidence.")
Let me go into a bit more detail Tommy. I care about ATL South, and honestly I -only- care for ATL South; these are the people I know and talk to. I rarely talk to anyone outside this region. In fact this is the only regional zone I go into (except for extremely rare occasions).

That being said, ATL South isn't as active or as big of a region as we consider it to be, and generally speaking our size is quite small (Florida is the only place i'd consider large; if ATL South was six Floridas then we'd be talking something completely different).

Why post if you aren't going to bother finishing your subject? We're here to show you why it's effective overall, and if you give good points and ideas we present them to developers. Granted we don't say these things out loud, and it may feel like you're doing nothing, your words are important to us.

--------------------------

On the trolling subject, I'd consider the second post a trollish comment by that wiki definition. The first one didn't even exist in this thread to my knowledge, and wouldn't be considered trolling either.

@Smith - I didn't ignore DJ, he didn't ask me a question.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
No, it does. lol

:)
It does matter because he has to tell L0zr when a tournament is happening since L0zr doesn't get on the boards anymore.

Let me go into a bit more detail Tommy. I care about ATL South, and honestly I -only- care for ATL South; these are the people I know and talk to. I rarely talk to anyone outside this region. In fact this is the only regional zone I go into (except for extremely rare occasions).

That being said, ATL South isn't as active or as big of a region as we consider it to be, and generally speaking our size is quite small (Florida is the only place i'd consider large; if ATL South was six Floridas then we'd be talking something completely different).

Why post if you aren't going to bother finishing your subject? We're here to show you why it's effective overall, and if you give good points and ideas we present them to developers. Granted we don't say these things out loud, and it may feel like you're doing nothing, your words are important to us.

On the trolling subject, I'd consider the second post a trollish comment by that wiki definition. The first one didn't even exist in this thread to my knowledge, and wouldn't be considered trolling either.

Well he obviously didn't post his opinion for it to be ignored Roxy! :reverse:

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

What I think is I agree with Afro, but I can also see what you guys are trying to do. The method of selection for the tournaments aren't as general as what would make it easier for us to find tournaments, meaning you're only picking a few events that are consituted as only tournaments and not moving things that are still tournaments in nature, just not classified as such (i.e. monthlies) Because of this, a lot of us are checking in multiple places to keep up with the new, upcoming events.

Also, tournaments for us help bring us together as a community, much like what the ATL South board does. Even if it is only for a select few, our group of friends we've created due to smash with the help of smashboards is enjoyed together in one common board. Having them in two different places make it harder to transfer ideas in between threads because someone wouldn't know it existed until they checked both boards.

It's like saying..."ok we're going to meet up at either the library or the computer lab, but we're not going to tell you which."

I don't want to strike down the whole idea of a tournament listing board. It would serve its purpose of giving people quick and easy tournament information, which is what you guys wanted when you made it. Just remember a lot of the personal connections in the community come from the chain of related tournament threads. The majority of our communication among each other on the boards is on the tournament threads and the conversations shift to which tournament more people are going to next.

Something else: If all of the tournaments go to the tournament listings board, people in their individual boards might feel like they're being kicked out of their own metaphorical homes(even subconsciously) I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like it could become.

Edit: I'm very tired and didn't proofread it. Nor do I care to...if something seems really out there in terms of being able to understand it, let me know and I'll elaborate.

ffff dodgeball and going to sleep at 5 am-8 am really tires you out.......

Top Bottom