• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournies No Longer Go Here (Small discussion on new TL, read first post!)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
You're definitely right about monthlies, it's currently not as good as it could be. But as I have said, they/we may eventually move all tournaments including monthlies into TLing. -Or- you could talk to the tournament director and get him to start making individual threads for each tournament. Then they'd definitely be in TL with everything else.

Metaphorical home thing seems fair. Hopefully it's not like that, but I could see the potential for an unsettled feeling. I think that's part of why we've gotten such strong initial a kickback.

Also I hate to make y'all paranoid, but generally most infractions are preceded by a warning. I gave Xaltis ~two before giving him any points.

Also directed at Xaltis: You're welcome for not giving you a 3 point infraction and banning you from posting.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You're definitely right about monthlies, it's currently not as good as it could be. But as I have said, they/we may eventually move all tournaments including monthlies into TLing. -Or- you could talk to the tournament director and get him to start making individual threads for each tournament. Then they'd definitely be in TL with everything else.

Metaphorical home thing seems fair. Hopefully it's not like that, but I could see the potential for an unsettled feeling. I think that's part of why we've gotten such strong initial a kickback.

Also I hate to make y'all paranoid, but generally most infractions are preceded by a warning. I gave Xaltis ~two before giving him any points.

Also directed at Xaltis: You're welcome for not giving you a 3 point infraction and banning you from posting.
Xaltis showed me his infraction point history for this. He got a 1 point warning and his sig taken down. Then he got a 2 point infraction and his sig taken down again. The third infaction worth another 2 points for that post where he's trolling seems undeserved. He was mad that he couldn't use his gif that he made about something he liked and that the mods were ganging up on him(in his opinion) I could see why the first 2 infractions were put into plce(worth 3 points) but the 3rd seems like he got you a little mad and you wanted to punish him for making you mad and not necessarily breaking the rules. Kinda like "respect mah authoritah"
Then again, I'm not a mod, so what do I know. I already have 5 infraction points(even if they're all expired.) The basis for giving infractions seems subjective to me.

Purple

Hi guys!
Xaltis showed me his infraction point history for this. He got a 1 point warning and his sig taken down. Then he got a 2 point infraction and his sig taken down again. The third infaction worth another 2 points for that post where he's trolling seems undeserved. He was mad that he couldn't use his gif that he made about something he liked and that the mods were ganging up on him(in his opinion) I could see why the first 2 infractions were put into plce(worth 3 points) but the 3rd seems like he got you a little mad and you wanted to punish him for making you mad and not necessarily breaking the rules. Kinda like "respect mah authoritah"
Then again, I'm not a mod, so what do I know. I already have 5 infraction points(even if they're all expired.) The basis for giving infractions seems subjective to me.
Also remember that he ignored a mod's request for his sig to be taken down, and apparently put his sig back on after having it taken down by force. Also a one point warning is actually zero points; It doesn't count to your point count (that warning was actually an infraction, Exarch only gave three points, mic gave another two). Did Xaltis show you his VM messages too? That's pretty good proof that Xaltis was fighting back in the first place. Also I'm sure he was referring to me about a 'racism' signature. *looks down*. See what's not there anymore?

Ignore the fact that he's your friend for a moment and notice that he has added little to no conversation into this thread. His main purpose is to say that mods are abusing their powers, ignoring mod's requests, and spamming. No matter how much Afro said, he didn't get a single infraction OR warning in this thread, neither did you, neither did DJ, neither did T1J, ONLY Xaltis.

He did do something wrong, and deserved those points. None of the infractions were done to assert any form of authority; all of them had a valid reason.

Also, about the whole mods ganging up on him thing. It's really just one mod wanting another mod to look over and see if the infractions were actually worthy is all. That being said you can't say we're abusing powers considering we're going to higher ups to make sure that what we thought about this was correct.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Anyone could see me saying "Oh I decided not to XD " after Exarch asked me why I didn't change my sig yet was obviously me messing around. All he had to do was take a joke and just be like " lol yea but seriously I'm gonna have to give you infraction points if you don't take it down.

Then I would've been like "ok fine" But nope it was just "FUUUUUUK YOOOOUUUUU XAALTIS!!!" Then I somehow got trolling points even when other mods were doing trolling posts too but I guess thats how things work around here. I used to respect this site so much until all this. Oh and my sig wasn't that bad at all. I mean if your like 10 years old then I understand its bad.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Also remember that he ignored a mod's request for his sig to be taken down, and apparently put his sig back on after having it taken down by force. Also a one point warning is actually zero points; It doesn't count to your point count (that warning was actually an infraction, Exarch only gave three points, mic gave another two). Did Xaltis show you his VM messages too? That's pretty good proof that Xaltis was fighting back in the first place. Also I'm sure he was referring to me about a 'racism' signature. *looks down*. See what's not there anymore?

Ignore the fact that he's your friend for a moment and notice that he has added little to no conversation into this thread. His main purpose is to say that mods are abusing their powers, ignoring mod's requests, and spamming. No matter how much Afro said, he didn't get a single infraction OR warning in this thread, neither did you, neither did DJ, neither did T1J, ONLY Xaltis.

He did do something wrong, and deserved those points. None of the infractions were done to assert any form of authority; all of them had a valid reason.

Also, about the whole mods ganging up on him thing. It's really just one mod wanting another mod to look over and see if the infractions were actually worthy is all. That being said you can't say we're abusing powers considering we're going to higher ups to make sure that what we thought about this was correct.
guys, guys, guys.

I hear SBR is banning stalling.
Her hips are f***ing huge.[/quote]

I got infracted for minor spam there. It was my opinion on something I thought was funny and playful. I didn't know that constituted as spam.[/collapse]
[collapse=Second infraction point I don't think I deserved]
Originally Posted by Raziek
"get Better" is not an argument that holds water, this point has been addressed THOUSANDS of times.

And just because they said the last vote was the final one, doesn't mean things could change. People frequently go back on their word when demand is high enough. It's human nature.

Also, if you claim SSB64 moved past competitive when melee came out, why didn't melee when Brawl came out?

GET AT ME.
Butthurt at metaknight and because they weren't good at it. They expected Melee top level play the first week it came out. When that didn't happen, they gave up.

Besides, trolling...i mean posting in this thread has been a great way of getting my post count up. :p
*I was serious until pokemon and other irrelevant games started getting involved.*

It's just a video game.
I don't think I complete didn't deserve this infraction, but there were definitely more people in that thread posting even more ridiculous things than I was. Stupid circular arguments always consist of posts like that. I lost my motive when people started to compare smash to competitive pokemon. That in itself could show that they're arguing just to argue, in other words, troll. Just because I mentioned trolling gave justification to pull the trigger on someone.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Infraction I think I deserved]
Official Falco Discussion
Since MK has a character specific thread on the Brawl Tactical Discussion boards, it would only seem fair that other characters could have one too, like Falco for example. It's not like we have Character Specific boards for that.

Lasers force approach.
Jab into sidestep into jab cancels
Spins while he jabs
Chaingrab.
Stomps on your face while spinning to spike you.
Bread and Pizza Cake.

He's one flashy mother ******.
Yeah, this one was to show how I thought of the Official Metaknight Discussion thread in the Tactical boards. It seemed ridiculous and the arguments/debates in that thread went nowhere.
For those who want to see the actual post/whole thred(its just one post, fastest closing of a thread I've ever seen) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=9529892
[/collapse]

AfroQT

Smash Master
Rofl the "Official Falco Discussion" was way 2 good.
Did you see my "Bowser vs Mario Help" thread?

Yeah Xaltis haha i liked the sig but i think we all knew it wasn't gonna be there for long.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
The Xaltis Chronicles

Giving infractions is a little subjective. I will admit. Let that introduction take us into our story. It is a simple story, but the implications are numerous: about the love of your country, the oppression from authority, and the resistance of one single man.

Anderson noticed Snowball’s signature. He’d seen it a couple of times before, and was familiar with the policy of always asking people to remove it. “It must be taken it down! Snowball? Who is this Snowball? Why he is as equal as anyone, even when some are more equal than others.” Anderson approached Snowball, as was the custom.

Please change your signature. The content in it is not appropriate for the boards.
But Snowball believed in freedom of speech. He did not understand why it was inappropriate. “I have my rights! You cannot force everyone to obey your needless rules! Have you no soul? If you censor this, what shant you censor whence?!”

Anderson, quick on his feet as always, improvised a response. Although he knew the motives were to restrict everything into the mumbo-jumbo of “Plusgood” and “Doubleplusgood,” he also knew he could not allow anyone to know as such. Cunningly he lied,
I mean she cups her breast, fondles her inner thighs, shows the lower portion of her butt, dances on a stripper pole, and removes her panties. It has way too many sexual overtones to be allowed on smashboards. Strip teases are not allowed, no matter how animated. >_>;

Snowball, however, was not to be out-cunned. Realizing this was only an attempt at reducing society to mindless robots, he replies “Oh certainly sir. Of course sir. I will remove it, sir, when I get the chance, sir. Please sir. I want no trouble sir.”

This initially seems to work. Anderson is thrown off the scent. Time passes. A full 24 hours tick by, as Snowball anxiously huddles in the corner of his home, making preparations and hoping no persecution will come his way from the evil state.

But no! Anderson is a robot—or at least a “human” who functions like one. He is programmed to visually check the entirety of the country everyday at the exact same time. Behind an innocent question, Anderson sets his trap.
Xalt:Why haven't you changed your sig yet?
Suspecting something, Snowball gives a simple answer, hoping nothing more will come of it.
Oh I decided not to.
Later, Snowball would claim he had said, “Oh I decided not to XD,” which would have altered the tone of his phrase significantly, potentially bringing the wrath of the state upon Anderson himself. However BigBrother noticed the difference and Anderson narrowly escaped with his life from our hero Snowball. At this time, the persecution of the state begins, and Snowball receives his first deathtoken. Of course, the reader is well aware the accumulating 6 deathtokens causes the Rover to be release, which will then gnash its teeth upon the owner until their blood has spilled and flows over the soil.

However, Anderson is a coward. Realizing he may be outmatched, and that his authority prevents him from taking successive actions over someone so clever as Snowball, he approaches a higher up. Anderson informs the Great Oni of the Lower Third that offending material has been posted, and must be removed. Fortunately for Anderson, he is able to use an excuse that his authority prevents him from removing the content himself, and thus “Must seek his highness’s help.” As if he had no other choice.

The Great Oni removes the suggestive image. Having had a bad sandwich for lunch, the Oni decides not to upset his stomach further by just eating Snowball himself, as would have usually been the consequences for disturbing the Great Oni. It appears that even God himself is on the side of Snowball.

But Snowball is no fool. To stop his protest now would undo everything he had worked so hard for before. So rather than sit by the wayside and do nothing, he takes action to continue to disobey the state’s rules. He literally could have done nothing to stop being in trouble, but our hero is far more noble than that. He decides he must reattach his signature, if he does not take a stand, who will? To display his bravery for the world to see, he writes openly
Imma put it right back on then. lol cause if mods can have racism sigs i can have that sig.
The sig to which he was referring was Attila’s "How to make purple drink" quote. Which other than purple, mentions nothing regarding color or race. Regardless, the sly Attila pretended to take the criticism to heart and removed his sig willingly.

Once again Snowball waits. He knows now he will feel the oppression of the state, as they have branded him with the evil number across his arms for his first transgression. He only hopes that enough others are watching to continue this fight for him, when he receives his deathtokens. Due to the branding, he's found quickly, the signature is removed again and he is given more tokens. This is the second time. However, the evils of the state conspire and hand him two. Initially, Snowball is surprised. He wonders why the Rover is not consuming him already. But he realizes the evils of the state run deeper than he had imagined. By keeping him alive and seemingly giving him a smaller punishment than he may “deserve,” he is prevented from martyrdom.

The realization enrages Snowball, giving him new strength and daring. Because he has half of his life taken away because he only tried to display a strip scene on a public forum! He has done nothing! (We shall point to the irony of the direct action he took to redisplay the image initially.) How dare the state continue to censor this content! Others had tried to show the world that image, but where they failed, he shall succeed! “I am not a number! I am a free man!”

In his anger, he searches for what seems like days (but is closer to a few minutes) for an older writing of Anderson’s. “If I can’t escape the Rover, I’ll be sure to take Anderson with me.” He then writes a public letter, addressing three major problems with the state. In the first, he openly calls Anderson a dumb *****. While usually more elegant with words, Snowball realizes the protest is more effective in the common tongue. The second, he claims that the deathtokens given to him have been arbitrarily distributed. Surely the state has no right to give such horrible things over something as angelic and 3-year-old friendly as a strip scene. The final point, he rages against the state institution, claiming they have gone too far. Those like Attila who pretend to listen to the people surely are doing so for alternative purposes. In his 73 page discourse which he knows will bring his death, he outlines his thoughts on how to improve the world, while constantly illustrating the wrongs done to him and others.

But the state knows the power of the individual. To kill Snowball would complete his legacy. Instead Anderson decides to prey on his, and all humans’, desire to live. Perhaps this is the largest evil that has befallen Snowball yet, the refusal to grant him his wish and to treat him as equal animal as everyone else. Instead Anderson politely hands Snowball 2 more deathtokens, bringing his total to 5. To some uneducated outside spectators, this may have been misconstrued as mercy. Hah. Snowball clings to hope. Perhaps one day his message will get across. He intends to continue fighting until it does. The rumors are he has gone away, to improve his vision and strengthen his fight. The last note found from Snowball before he disappeared is as follows:

Its not really that bad IMO i guess. But I guess I'll leave it changed since i got like 5 infraction points for no reason and can't affored another one.
The beauty of this quote is that it shows how the state had to force him to stop. He would have continued to no matter what, only upon reaching the 5th token did he realize the value of living.
And like him, his fight still lives to this day.

AfroQT

Smash Master
EXARCHS REALLY LONG BUT AMAZING STORY
Quoting a legendary post.
Best story ever.
I laughed atleast 6 or 7 times.

To answer Katy's question ( i think a page ago)
If all 3 forums were connected (ATLSouth, ATLSouth Tourneys, ATLSouth Social) i think that would be pretty good.

Purple

Hi guys!
Anyone could see me saying "Oh I decided not to XD " after Exarch asked me why I didn't change my sig yet was obviously me messing around. All he had to do was take a joke and just be like " lol yea but seriously I'm gonna have to give you infraction points if you don't take it down.
This example I'm about to give might be a bit stretched, but I'll give it anyways to see if you get the point.

Boss: Jamaal, are you going to do the work I told you to do?
Jamaal: No, I don't feel like doing it obviously. :awesome:

Should the boss really have to repeat themself in order for you to do something, especially when you're in the wrong already?

You're trying to justify your means that were already wrong, and that's not cool.

Then I would've been like "ok fine" But nope it was just "FUUUUUUK YOOOOUUUUU XAALTIS!!!" Then I somehow got trolling points even when other mods were doing trolling posts too but I guess thats how things work around here. I used to respect this site so much until all this. Oh and my sig wasn't that bad at all. I mean if your like 10 years old then I understand its bad.
So I found out where the post that Tommy G quoted was, it was in the Social room (more specifically you laugh you lose), not the ATL South boards... -_____- That should be all i have to say on that.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
But the state knows the power of the individual. To kill Snowball would complete his legacy. Instead Anderson decides to prey on his, and all humans’, desire to live. Perhaps this is the largest evil that has befallen Snowball yet, the refusal to grant him his wish and to treat him as equal animal as everyone else. Instead Anderson politely hands Snowball 2 more deathtokens, bringing his total to 5. To some uneducated outside spectators, this may have been misconstrued as mercy. Hah. Snowball clings to hope. Perhaps one day his message will get across. He intends to continue fighting until it does. The rumors are he has gone away, to improve his vision and strengthen his fight.
I misconstrue the 2 additional death tokens as abuse of power when Snowball does nothing more than curse him as he would anyone who has done something negative to him.
Katy my Lady said:
Boss: Jamaal, are you going to do the work I told you to do?
Jamaal: No, I don't feel like doing it obviously.
Boss: Ok I'm going to punish you. *punishes*
Jamaal: This is so ridiculous. I know I don't deserve this.
Boss: Ok then for that I will give you a worse punishment.
Wait....trolling is ok in select boards? Is censor dodging ok in those forums? How about spamming with advertisement links or inappropriate photos?

AfroQT

Smash Master
Lol this story **** is pretty funny those last 3 lines made me laugh.

How about we all just forget this.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

I would except I'm 5 points from being banned. iirc 10 points, expired or not means they're banned. I don't want to wake up and suddenly find out I'm banned.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
WOW I thought this topic would have been left alone, but it turned into this.

I think something like this should be taken to PM or VM, honestly.

Or better yet - Forum Support.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion

I would except I'm 5 points from being banned. iirc 10 points, expired or not means they're banned.

Edit: just reread the rules and this is not the case.

Exarch, are you an English/Writing major? You're pretty good at that. (sincere compliment)

Purple

Hi guys!
I misconstrue the 2 additional death tokens as abuse of power when Snowball does nothing more than curse him as he would anyone who has done something negative to him.

Wait....trolling is ok in select boards? Is censor dodging ok in those forums? How about spamming with advertisement links or inappropriate photos?
Those points would've been flaming anyways.

I don't get how it's trolling, he's joking about the post above his in a social thread no less. There are a -lot- less things to hit you on in a social thread. In most cases I leave it alone actually.

Also I just noticed your edit to my conversation with my 'boss'. Xaltis didn't talk to Exarch that way. He called him a dumb *****, which is pri bad imo.

Also stop bringing posts that you got infracted for by other mods up to us.

I smell a 1984 reference.

Also [collapse=@exarch] -
[/collapse]

Xaltis

Smash Hero
So inconclusion:

Mods can troll and do w/e they want with no negative outcome but regular people get ignored and infracted for no reason.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Also I just noticed your edit to my conversation with my 'boss'. Xaltis didn't talk to Exarch that way. He called him a dumb *****, which is pri bad imo.
I don't expect you or him to know that "you dumb *****" from Xaltis means nothing. It's as if it became a SFL meme for him and TheJoey, but like I said, I don't expect you to know that, so that fact you took it as serious as anyone saying it is perfectly logical.

However...

I have been called things much worse in other threads, namely in the Official Metaknight Discussion thread. There have been so many times where I've said to myself "He didn't get infracted for that? What the h*** is going on."

In fact, to me, saying I don't know what I'm talking about in this argument and I'm basing it all off of Xaltis being my friend is telling me you're calling me ignorant. That isn't something that can be brushed aside like someone that's obviously saying something out of anger.

You guys keep bringing up the legitimacy of the other infractions, as if I were questioning those, but I'm not. I even said I can see why he should have those.

-I'm done for now. Get your last words in.-

Unrelated Edit: I love how derailed this thread got...and no, that wasn't my intent. Looking back at it is just funny to me. :D

Winnar

Smash Lord
Hey quick question, what should I do about my MSU Tournament/Smashfests thread? I kind of just made it like 2 weeks ago before I even realized we have a new system in place (oops). Should I convert it to just a smashfest thread and make a separate thread for the tournaments?

Also does this mean I would now have to make a new thread for every biweekly we host? I haven't played around with the new system at all yet, so I honestly have no idea if you can just edit the date and keep the thread updated. If not, then that would be extremely inconvenient. It's hard enough building a MS scene even with one central MSU smash thread for everyone to subscribe to. We don't really have the player base yet to get away with spreading ourselves thin over 2 or 3 constantly changing threads.

I don't mind creating a thread for the events in the tournament listings section, I'm just concerned that MS smash isn't ready for it yet. (all 5 of us so far who post here :\)

PS I'm a fan of the new system, it's way way better (other than getting rid of the TO group; I'm just salty because I finally would have had a blue name lol).

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Hey quick question, what should I do about my MSU Tournament/Smashfests thread? I kind of just made it like 2 weeks ago before I even realized we have a new system in place (oops). Should I convert it to just a smashfest thread and make a separate thread for the tournaments?

Also does this mean I would now have to make a new thread for every biweekly we host? I haven't played around with the new system at all yet, so I honestly have no idea if you can just edit the date and keep the thread updated. If not, then that would be extremely inconvenient. It's hard enough building a MS scene even with one central MSU smash thread for everyone to subscribe to. We don't really have the player base yet to get away with spreading ourselves thin over 2 or 3 constantly changing threads.

I don't mind creating a thread for the events in the tournament listings section, I'm just concerned that MS smash isn't ready for it yet. (all 5 of us so far who post here :\)

PS I'm a fan of the new system, it's way way better (other than getting rid of the TO group; I'm just salty because I finally would have had a blue name lol).
Ok...now I'm upset.....I wanted that blue name. I just hosted a tournament too...

AfroQT

Smash Master
So hungrybox proposed a fix for this TO board and its for FL to just not use it. I'm completely down for this, seeing as no tournament has any hype (which is rare, especially NLL) and the board is useless anyway. And it was a stupid idea to begin with.

Purple

Hi guys!
Besides the fact that you can get infracted for not posting information in the correct place, I don't see why you can't do that. I personally won't infract you if you guys feel that you will get more people in your tournaments by posting it here instead; but why go against the tide if you haven't proved the new system is detrimental to your community?

AfroQT

Smash Master
Besides the fact that you can get infracted for not posting information in the correct place, I don't see why you can't do that. I personally won't infract you if you guys feel that you will get more people in your tournaments by posting it here instead; but why go against the tide if you haven't proved the new system is detrimental to your community?
Im not going against the tide, im trying to do the same thing that was already working. This new TL is the change of tide.

Top Bottom