• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournies No Longer Go Here (Small discussion on new TL, read first post!)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
@ Afro:
Yes there are a bunch of tournaments on the first page, but tournament directors can't move them over (very few people can, and I am not one of them.) Monthly tournaments which use the same thread are for now an exception to the rule. They almost function more like smashfests with an entry fee anyway. There's also a bunch of smashfests/smashing non-tournament threads too, maybe 6?

I'm counting 12 state and state power ranking threads. That's more than 1/3 of the total threads on the first page. There definitely can be more of these too. I realize you were exaggerating to make a point, but they are already a significant minority, and there is a TON more room for these. It would be a problem to move them to the social room because they are meant for discussion on smash, and they would push out many other threads from the first page, decreasing overall activity of the social room.

Linguini's thread is significant because it's discussion on the state of the FL smash scene. This thread belongs in the A.S., and not the G.C. We used to rarely have serious discussion in the Gentleman's Club, and the threads never fit very well with the other content in that room. These types of threads should become more common, since they have a more obvious place to exist.

But yes I have mentioned that we're not exactly sure what the A.S. can turn into, but I see no harm in giving it the opportunity.

--------------------
You're right in your assessment of the problem; tournament listings was becoming no longer the place for tournaments. They wanted to use a system which coordinated with the calendar, which would have been impossible over multiple forums.

Having a forum just for national tournaments wouldn't be effective. Sometimes tournaments become much larger than the original intent of them. It would also require a separate loading and discourage attendance, compared to the system now.

The problem was that RZs and TLs did basically the same thing. Now they don't. We want to see how the RZs (Atlantic South in particular) can work without the tournaments in the room. If it doesn't work, it may get changed in the future again too. Just give the newly formatted Atlantic South a try.

Purple

Hi guys!
[collapse=afro]
what i will say is that this update definitely isn't making anything more "organized" for me. Everything i needed to post on was in 1 area, now, its not. Definitely not more organized, infact the complete opposite.
This is where i'm referring to for things being about you. It's not what is more organized for you, but what's more organized for a large deal of the community that's generally important. It would be kind of silly to argue that Atl South should get their own different way of running things because we're not as big as the Midwest or something of that sort. Everything you needed was posted in one area yes, you're correct about that. However, that's not being 'organized' that's being 'convienent'.

Consider having a bunch of tools, like screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, of different shapes and sizes all in one box. It's more 'convienent' to have them all in there in contrast to having each tool get seperated into different boxes, however it's more 'organized to have the latter option than the former. Get what I'm saying.

Honestly I just think you have the wrong perception of this. Granted we'll have to go to -another- subform to find tournaments (oh noes!), we will also have access to every other tournament for say, when we go out of state or out of the region.[/collapse]

[collapse=xaltis]Honestly Xaltis, this isn't a Gentlemen's club topic; if you're not really adding much input and just being Afro's parrot i'd rather you just back off :/.[/collapse]

I'm really wondering what's the problem here outside of having to click on a few more links. It seems like the pros to this change on a grand scale out-do the cons to this, even from ATL South's POV.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Katy im really confused as how giving my opinion in this discussion means im only thinking about myself. WHat i should of done i guess is just assume it was terrible for everyone. Im pretty sure that saying how this is effecting me does NOT mean that i am only thinking about myself. It would however be very ignorant for me to just assume that everyone thought the same thing as me, you get my point?

It's not helping me, MULTIPLE OTHERS have said its not helping them, WHO IS THIS HELPING?
Any Brawl TO's fro ATLSouth that this is helping, please, post and say so.

In this case i would greatly prefer convinence over organization (even though it was organized enough in my opinion, all this did was make things more complicated but apparently we do not see eye to eye on this)

IN CONCLUSION
What masky said.
And honestly w/e this change isn't going to be reverted so who cares SMASHBOARDS HOOO

----afro

But I main Falco i'm supposed to be BIIIIIRRRD ---Xaltis

Purple

Hi guys!
No one's really taken advantage of the new system from what I've seen. And we've already discussed how ATL South of all regions would be one of the lesser impacted regions considering how small/inactive we are in comparison.

For all of the people who have monthlies, weeklies, bi-weeklies, smashfests, and power rankings threads in the ATL south section, nothing really changes for you; your tournaments will still be included exactly where they are so in a sense it impacts nothing. Bigger tournaments however, like the TO series will actually be impacted, and considering I don't particularly think FMTL has made that event (To7) yet.

Just because you state your opinion doesn't mean you're thinking about yourself Afro; it's morely how you brought it up. You only initally referred it by how you're personally taking it "definitely isn't making anything more "organized" for me. ". But that's only you, look outside yourself and hell, look outside this region as a whole, and see if it's making a change before saying it's a problem.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
[collapse=afro]

This is where i'm referring to for things being about you. It's not what is more organized for you, but what's more organized for a large deal of the community that's generally important. It would be kind of silly to argue that Atl South should get their own different way of running things because we're not as big as the Midwest or something of that sort. Everything you needed was posted in one area yes, you're correct about that. However, that's not being 'organized' that's being 'convienent'.

Consider having a bunch of tools, like screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, of different shapes and sizes all in one box. It's more 'convienent' to have them all in there in contrast to having each tool get seperated into different boxes, however it's more 'organized to have the latter option than the former. Get what I'm saying.

Honestly I just think you have the wrong perception of this. Granted we'll have to go to -another- subform to find tournaments (oh noes!), we will also have access to every other tournament for say, when we go out of state or out of the region.[/collapse]

[collapse=xaltis]Honestly Xaltis, this isn't a Gentlemen's club topic; if you're not really adding much input and just being Afro's parrot i'd rather you just back off :/.[/collapse]

I'm really wondering what's the problem here outside of having to click on a few more links. It seems like the pros to this change on a grand scale out-do the cons to this, even from ATL South's POV.
lol at

having to click more stuff = more organized

<3 swf

this site just get more and more difficult to navigate as time goes on.
its not even like i'm being a troll
i literally find the site harder to get around everytime a change like this is made.

i doubt i'm the only one.

i mean, does it not make sense to have everything of interest to the atlantic south in the, get this, atlantic south forum

I MEAN, maybe its a crazy idea, stop me if i'm wrong

Purple

Hi guys!
I ignore people when they ignore me, lol. Well, let's say there's a national tournament in md/va, should the tournament be in the regional zone, or the tournament listings? Because the tournament is reaching out to everyone, so it shouldn't really be somewhere exclusive imo. Also mods equal regular members in this discussion; honestly mods are regular people in every **** discussion, but that's a different subject. Developers really got this up and going, not us (entirely).

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I ignore people when they ignore me, lol. Well, let's say there's a national tournament in md/va, should the tournament be in the regional zone, or the tournament listings? Because the tournament is reaching out to everyone, so it shouldn't really be somewhere exclusive imo. Also mods equal regular members in this discussion, developers really got this going, not us (entirely).
In Bold: That's not mod like.

Purple

Hi guys!
Lol at that. I should throw out more red cards imo :p. But keep it on subject though, before i abuse mod powers obv.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Yea man wtf. This guy just abuses mod powers, not even considering him a mod anymore. He just ignores ppl when they try and say something.
I'm sorry man. :(

Lol at that. I should throw out more red cards imo :p. But keep it on subject though, before i abuse mod powers obv.
Throw out red cards for what? We haven't violated anything.

Purple

Hi guys!
For no reason obviously, I abuse my mod powers remember? :). There's a difference between being ignorant and missing the point. I'd put myself in the latter area than the former. If afro would like to explain himself with some good info instead of saying 'nothing will change oh well' i'd be happy to try to understand :)

AfroQT

Smash Master
For no reason obviously, I abuse my mod powers remember? :). There's a difference between being ignorant and missing the point. I'd put myself in the latter area than the former. If afro would like to explain himself with some good info instead of saying 'nothing will change oh well' i'd be happy to try to understand :)
What the **** are you talking about, i DID EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Im so confused right now its literally like you didn't even read my posts.
FIRST you accuse me of "only thinking of myself" wtf else was i supposed to post it would be completely ******** to go "EVERYONE HATES THIS CHANGE" so i posted how it was effecting me basically just putting my opinion out there i didn't even insult anyone.

EDIT:
You know what **** it, its clear you aren't reading, or you are really really terrible at comprehending, so who cares. Again not like this change will be reverted just close the thread why do we even have the option for a discussion on a change we can't change rofl.

Purple

Hi guys!
What the **** are you talking about, i DID EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Im so confused right now its literally like you didn't even read my posts.
FIRST you accuse me of "only thinking of myself" wtf else was i supposed to post it would be completely ******** to go "EVERYONE HATES THIS CHANGE" so i posted how it was effecting me basically just putting my opinion out there i didn't even insult anyone.

EDIT:
You know what **** it, its clear you aren't reading, or you are really really terrible at comprehending, so who cares. Again not like this change will be reverted just close the thread why do we even have the option for a discussion on a change we can't change rofl.
Well for starters, in my personal opinion, the Social boards are useless boards anyways. It's like a way to spam without getting in trouble for it (to an extent). For the sake of tournament discussion, the social boards don't even count. It's very rare that tournaments or things of the sort are posted there, except for really small events that are usually between a few people anyways (for example, Snipafest). So really, when it comes to TOURNAMENTS (which is what this thread is about). You're only viewing the AS boards, and the TL boards.

It's more organized and useful for the TOs more than it is for the average member. The tournament calendar is actually deemed useful and it allows TOs to never overlap another TOs high-scale tournament easily. Granted members have to click a bit more here and there to get to a particular thread (which you can subscribe to, making it much easier imo). You don't have to worry about having to pick and choose which tournament to go to because tournaments are overlapping.

For AS in particular, the change might not be dramatic, in fact it might even seem detrimental (as you can see from everyone posting here), however in much larger regions that have much larger communities it's a god send. There are so many tournament monthlies, one-time tournaments, power rankings threads, etc. That threads overpower one another, and that there's a lot of clutter.

Btw I didn't insult you either, I just missed your point. relax negro.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lol so now

our little southeast tournaments are going to get overpowered by dozens of EC and california threads.

BRILLIANT

i think i'm missing something tho

you're saying that

all the EC tournaments for example are overpowering each other in the atlnorth forum

so you're going to move them all to
another forum

where there are even more tournament threads, as well as the existing EC threads, for them to compete with?

honest question, not trolling. doesn't seem to make sense.

its like if you had a room with 5 radios goin, and you say...man i can't really hear any radio over the others so i can't choose which one i want to listen to.
solution: take those 5 radios and put them into a separate room with 50 additional radios

Purple

Hi guys!
Well I mean what do you suggest? Making a system and then saying "Oh btw Atl South doesn't have to do it lulul :awesome:" Kind of just excludes us.

Which I'd think we -wouldn't- want.

lol so now

our little southeast tournaments are going to get overpowered by dozens of EC and california threads.

BRILLIANT

Not exactly, you can select it to only show ATL South tournaments

AfroQT

Smash Master
I think we shoulda just not changed it.
NO NO NO THIS CHANGE IS CLEARLY POSITIVE
Look at all the posts saying it is.

its like if you had a room with 5 radios goin, and you say...man i can't really hear any radio over the others so i can't choose which one i want to listen to.
solution: take those 5 radios and put them into a separate room with 50 additional radios
Thread MVP

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Well I mean what do you suggest? Making a system and then saying "Oh btw Atl South doesn't have to do it lulul :awesome:" Kind of just excludes us.

Which I'd think we -wouldn't- want.

Not exactly, you can select it to only show ATL South tournaments
oh. i didnt know that, that's a bit better,
but that also makes it seem even more arbitary. its basically the exact same thing as before except harder to get to.

i mean if this is intended to help TOs, was there like a vote? did TOs request something like this?
does swf benefit from this at all?
i just honestly don't understand. i dont even see how this benefits atlantic north.
when you go to tournament listing and hit filter, it will look exactly the same as their current regional thread looks. except maybe theres a few PR threads mixed in

honestly i've always thought of that forum as "the tournament forum".

and the concept of having "tournaments" in one thread and "biweeklies/monthlies" in another thread is going to be annoying, i can already tell you that. esp. for OOS people traveling to another place who don't necessarily go to every one. to people like that, they're all just tournaments. but now they're in two separate forums

i wouldnt doubt if operators of monthlies/biweeklies/etc see less out of state interest in their threads after this. since no one will be checking that forum for tournaments anymore. if i ran a monthly, i'd just move it to tourney listings and pretend its not a monthly lol and then once everyone starts doing that, the original regional forum becomes next to useless. just a couple of PR threads and random chat about smashbrothers, which could just as well go in the social forum

i dont know like this is just not really a good idea imo

Purple

Hi guys!
Exactly T1J, for us it doesn't mean much, however for others is meant alot.

I couldn't answer -any- of that considering I don't run this thing :p. I could get chibo or bionic to tell you though.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I lol'd hard when i thought about the idea of tournaments and "biweeklies/monthlies" being in different forums.

Biweeklies/monthlies no longer tournaments lol.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
It should be in both. That was how the old system worked.

I feel like this change is oriented towards TOs and not tournament attendees. Tournament attendees' needs are more important than TOs'. TOs are supposed to accommodate tournament attendees.
Masky is absolutely right. Btw come to more tourneys Masky!

Top Bottom