• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Results/Bowser Locator: Who's Using Bowser?

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Brawl Is Serious Business: Nado at Netchamp (01/30/10)
9th of 27 with pools
Canada
Quebec
10$ entry fee + 10$ venue fee

I was disapointed for my placings :( but no johns

Let's Brawl Toronto 2 (02/06/10)
9th of 65 with pools
Canada
Toronto
10$ entry fee + 10$ venue fee

I finally saw Phiddlestick !!!
hmm I really appreciated the tourney, first time I went to a tourney outside of quebec, I got beat by Ally (1st) and Silverdoc (3rd).

I got 0-2 against Ally but last stock each time, he banned Rc -_-
I got 1-2 against Silverdoc last stock around 80% I think

Brawl Singles

1: Ally
2: Holynightmare
3: Silverdoc
4: KingAce
5: Swordguard
5: Hype
7: Ambrose
7: F00l
9: T.O. Joe
9: KingKong
9: Shifou
9: Mikey
13: GI
13: Kuenzel
13: Raidos
13: Illiad
17: Ham n Eggs
17: Dimmy
17: Buenob
17: HingHussle
17: TinMan
17: RyanFTW
17: i1337
17: AvariceX
25: Infzy
25: Rye
25: Tippr
25: Jerk
25: SRTM
25: MightyChir
25: Phiddlesticks
25: Josk

I also got 3rd of 28 I think in brawl + with bowser

1st- Holy
2nd- Ally
3rd- KingKong
4th- Distructo

I got 3rd in 21 in brawl double with swordgard
Bowser+ Ic ( we use olimar and snake against 2 mks in one set)

Brawl Doubles

1: FalconRapes (Ally + Holynightmare)
2: Untouchables (TOJOE + KingAce)
3: Hot and Cold (Swordguard + Kingkong)
4: PrescribeTheHype (Hype + SilverDoc)
5: TinmanOnIce (f00l + Shifou-)
5: Gibrose (Ambrose + Gi)
7: ThisisClutch (Dimmy + Ham&eggs-)
7: Projectile Spam (Buenob + SRTM)
9: Whips&Tips (tippr + Kenzal-)
9: BTown (Dirka + Hing)
9: Team Troll (Akaris + Troll)
9: AvariceX+F1zz (AvariceX + Fizz)
13: Better Luck next time (Illiad + Jasuke)
13: TeamoSupremo (Chirp + Wildcard)
13: Marker (Arys + Huss)
13: KingFlare (Xflare + KingJ)
17: Squizz (Jerk, White)
17: SmashBros (SmashBro + TrashBro)
17: Nana and Popo (Infzy + Annsy)
17: ICYHOT (KSNIP + TPC)
17: Mistral+Primo (Mistral + PrimoPeach)

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
I was disapointed for my placings :( but no johns
If I were to say that about LBT2 it would have been just a bit of an understatement lol

Did you know we made history? That was the first tournament ever with 2 Bowser mains in attendance.

I thought it was 3 for a bit, too. When the T.O. was calling out pools I thought I heard him say Sliq at one point, but it turns out it was a Pikachu player who went by Slik or Slick or something :(

Flayl

Smash Hero
Awesome stuff KingKong and Phiddlesticks. We might just have to write that day down as our own personal holiday.

Phiddlesticks, weren't you going to play in doubles too? I remember reading something about you also having an IC partner.

B!squick

Smash Master
Lol, it's 43,309th sign of the apocalypse: two Bowser mains in one tourny. Nice try both of you. I expect it to be Bowser dittos for the finals next time. I have decreed it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
33/49 in singles at Phase 6 Bowser/PT

My Bowser ***** a Marth pretty hard before going down to a ranked MK that Mach Tornado'd me the entire match. :( Ranked players were saying my Bowser was pretty legit though, haha.

And for the friend finder, I'm from Austin, Texas, and I play black Bowser.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Ok, I'll update this tonight, at the latest, tomorrow morning

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Updating this right now

**** I didn't mean to post lul

Zigsta, can you link me to the Phase 6 swf link (if there is one)

It's kinda how I do the results set-up. If there's no link, don't sweat it, it'd just be nice lol

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Mother of GOD, I'll link up the tournaments etc later...Jesus Christ. I guess that's what I get for slacking on this thread for like...4 months. :L

Zigsta, what region is Texas in? South right?

B!squick

Smash Master
Lies. It's obviously Midwest... how DID the Midwest get to be called that? I get the mid, but there is alot between it and the west. :/

Its Wispy

Smash Cadet
Epic of Woodbridge
3/6/10
$10 entry
Woodbridge, VA

33rd outta 40 something (last basically).

:(

Lost to Bionic Sonic and my friend's DDD. Two match ups I have little confidence in right now for Booser. You have to be very patient when playing vs. sonic, or otherwise you will get punished a lot like I did. It's pretty hard for Bowser I think (sonic's favor).

As for DDD, I need more practice vs him because you have to time the koopahop right to avoid Waddledees and the ftilt. The more death hugs you can land, then the easier that match becomes. It's possible to win here, but I need a better strategy.

Its Wispy

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I can probably imagine how your Bowser won Vex. Wait, you play offensively, so nevermind!

My take on Bowser vs. Sonic:

Since Sonic plays incredibly defensively, both players will spend the majority of the match waiting for the other to approach. From my experience playing Kojin and Bionic Sonic, Sonic will never ever approach until you do something. I think Coney put it best saying "Sonic makes you do things." Bowser should not approach, but instead you must bait Sonic into a trap or put him in a uncomfortable spot (usually close to Bowser). That is the gist of the match-up, so both players end up playing the bait and punish game; it's a very unusual (and wtf?) kind of match for us.

Sonic cannot kill worth ****, but he can punish. Do not underestimate how quick he is to punish you for any mistake you make in this battle. If Sonic is on the ground, he can dash grab Bowser like there's no tomorrow. He will wait for your Dtilt, Ftilt, FSmash after lag to grab you. If he is a great Sonic, he can grab you in between your jabs by power shielding the first then getting the grab. Grabs are one of Sonic's greatest weapons this match, so always watch Sonic to know whether he is grounded or airborne.

When Sonic is in suspended in air via side b or down b, this is where our power shielding skill comes in. Because Sonic will never approach, I think Booser's only effective option is to run in and prepare to power shield Sonic's charge followed by usually his FAir. That Fair is Sonic's main source of damage, so shielding these put us on the road to winning I believe. Thank god we have one of the best shields in the game, or otherwise this match up would be unwinnable. If shielded successfully, this will put Sonic above us or very close to us.

This is the hour we shine boys. Try to follow Sonic with a UTilt, FAir, NAir, or BAir. Whether you hit or miss, keep close to him as possible. Do not let him space. You want to be on his *** like white on rice. At close range, we have a lot of options here! Our usual arsenal of jabs, FTilt, DTilt, grabs, and death grabs are all game here. From my matches, the main source of damage I got on Sonic was from mostly grabs, fortress, jabs, and side B. Our dash grab is a must vs the blue menace. Killing Sonic is a pain since Bowser's side B and fortress will be degraded heavily after many uses. Platforms are the key to killing Sonic, so play on levels with those. Otherwise, my kills were from UTilt and FAir.

Despite our great close range game with Sonic, it's most likely in his favor. He cannot kill, but he will damage us to 180-200% after enough spin dashing attacks. His BAir will get us eventually, so it's only a matter of time until Bowser goes down. Our problem is that good Sonics know to get away from Bowser and revert to more spin dashing. If Sonic keeps his distance, then he will rack up damage much faster than we can on him. I know I cannot power shield every spin attack, and I doubt any Bowser can. Our second problem is killing him because our arsenal is severly limited vs him. It's very possible to win here, but I dislike playing him because he gives me lots of headaches and frustration. I wouldn't want to go against Sonic as Bowser in a tourney. I will keep trying and practicing vs. Sonic, but for now we're too slow!!

70/30 Sonic's favor

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
euh well I played some sonic and never had problem with that match up.. I think its really easy... maybe cuz im patient ? Generaly I do all my best to give the first damage and wait until he comes to me. I use UpB Oos, against all spin attacks or jabs sometimes. when he attacks in the air I shield and punish each mispaced moves. If I dont give the first hit then I just approach and jabs or any attacks with no lags. If I cant take lead then I do all my best to survive. I survive almost everytimes til 200% and way more sometimes. And I never want to kill him immediatly I just punish and wait him to die lol

I played Boku in ladder matches and beat him but hey it was wifi so I dont know >.>

I should really go to Usa -_-

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I think Sonic beats Bowser also, but after I beat Espy with Bowser, Sonic's claim Bowser wins <_<
Don't be stupid.

We've always thought Bowser beats Sonic.
And by we, I mean 50-60% of us. The rest either think it's even, or have never played a Bowser.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Never played a Bowser is probably like the remaining 30-40% from the 50-60.

Loljokes aside, I really do think Bowser beats Sonic. I can't say 60-40 because it's not a definite advantage but it is certainly winnable.

Buuuuuuuut then we get into the "well it's just a freaking ratio dude, 55-45 might as well be the same as 50-50/60-40"...meh.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I say 50:50 just because I refuse to use numbers not ending in 0 (you either go even or they have some sort of advantage on you, only *****es pick a number inbetween), and Bowser certainly does NOT 60:40 Sonic.

If I did use ratios ending with anything that's not a 0, then yeah, I'd also say 55:45.
But yeah...50:50.

Sonic definitely does not beat Bowser. I've said this months before I even played Vex.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I say 50:50 just because I refuse to use numbers not ending in 0 (you either go even or they have some sort of advantage on you, only *****es pick a number inbetween), and Bowser certainly does NOT 60:40 Sonic.

If I did use ratios ending with anything that's not a 0, then yeah, I'd also say 55:45.
But yeah...50:50.

Sonic definitely does not beat Bowser. I've said this months before I even played Vex.
Run away more and you'll see why your character wins.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
If he runs away what will that do for him in the aspect of damaging us?

Unless you're talking about playing a hit & run game <.<

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Oh THAT. -.- Yeah that becomes a problem then.

Can we all agree that the 30-70 ratio was pretty outrageous? That's all I lol'd at.

Godzillabr

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the City - Brawl
9th out of 41
South America(Brasil here, Brazil for who speak english)
São Paulo
07/February/2010
R$10,00
Normal bowser(green)

Agains diddy kong I used wario 2 times in a set of 3(didn't work :urg:)

Its Wispy

Smash Cadet
UGZ Tournament hosted by Deez
(Didn't advance out of pools) out of 31
Gaithersburg, MD
3/13/10
$20 for venue + single entree

Bah, I didn't even make it out of pools for this one. Played a MK, 2 Snakes, and a Marth in my pool. I lost to all but the Marth since he was new to the competitive scene in MD/VA.

I now see that Bowser should not go against Snake because he just has many more options than we do. It's not too bad of a match up for us, but **** snake was killing me very fast (around 110%). We have a lot of great options like Side B, firebreath, jab canceling, but Snake kills us at pretty low percents because we are so big. I've been recently thinking that we had a good match up vs. snake because of our air game and fire breath, but one grab to an utilt and we are done here. Bowser can't compete with a good snake. 65-35.

Maybe I was being too hard on Bowser vs Sonic eariler. After playing Kojin a bit more, I'll revise the match up to 60-40 in Sonic's favor. I really hate labeling any match up a 60-40 because you guys end up giving that score to way too many match-ups. It's a very vague score that the Bowser boards tend to give out almost as a rule. "When in doubt, it's probably 60-40." Despite my hatred for the 60-40 score, i think it's appropriate here.

After my second tournament since my comeback this winter, I have to admit Bowser cannot compete with most high tier characters in a tournament setting. I think he's a good character, but **** some characters like Snake just destroy him. Talking past our known horrible match-ups (Diddy and ICs), Booser has a lot of match-ups he's just not cut out for. Sure you can win a few times vs good players using high tier characters, but even with training, it's just not likely at all that you can get far with a good Bowser.

People from my area are starting to make fun of me because I refuse to pick up another character. They keep telling me that Bowser is a trash character which is not true at all! He's good vs. mid and low tier characters and maybe a few high tier characters with some intense practice. I want to use him in a tourny, but only for specific match-ups I think. Some of those matches are vs. MK, Lucario, Fox, DK, Olimar, Pikachu, and Marth. Bowser is viable, but yeah I need to pick up a winning character to show them.

I'm thinking of practicing my DK or Olimar. They can win tournaments, right?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
2 options:

1) Get good
2) Use someone else

You can do one, or both. lol

And for the matchups you WANT to use Bowser in, one of those characters completely destroys Bowser, one goes even with Bowser, one is in a slight disadvantage and the rest are not in Bowser's favor.

What logic. And what training. TBH maybe if the "get good" option isn't working for you, maybe you're not using Bowser right, or maybe Bowser just isn't right for you. I mean, obviously no one is wrong when they say Bowser isn't that good, but if you're getting blown outright, you're either doing the matchup wrong or you're doing something wrong to put it vaguely. idk, just explore the characters...if you think Bowser is right for you, just get better.

And that was only your second tournament since your "comeback" or whatever it was...you have to be more patient with your skills and especially Bowser. lol. If you really just wanna get satisfying results, use someone better.

Top Bottom