• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Gaming Research Project

Kwan

Smash Cadet
Hello Smashboards,

I'm currently working on a student research project at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My research focuses on the development of future video games with a tournament scene in mind. It also encompasses the notion of popularizing televised tournaments, and how a major corporation should go about it. Please take a few minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire. Thank you for your participation.

Click here to take survey

-Michael Kwan

Kwan

Smash Cadet
I'll consider doing that. There may be some issues considering that RPI will technically own the rights to the paper, though. If I can post it, I definitely will.

Zodiac

Smash Master
kisama.....
Oh come on he deserve that. Wait, event hough its mildly connected to smash, its still spam. Aitsu no Dai BAKA.

I actually enjoyed takeing the survey it asked questions that I would want someone putting on a tournament to ask.

Geist

Smash Master
Anything to help competitive gaming scenes I guess.

I'm planning to get into design and directing video games secifically for competition in a few years. :D

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
When it says what common tournament games do I play, would it be all those that I play, or just the ones I go to tournaments for?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Some of the questions were kind of odd though, to be honest. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time trying to understand what you were looking for. But I took it and I wish you luck with your research.

Binx

Smash Master
I gave my two cents, It's worded pretty professionally if I didn't think more highly of video gamers I'd think you were scamming us ;)

Seriously though, bravo, hopefully you help pave the way for the next gen.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I really want to get into some of the other fighting games listed on the first question. Wow I suck at all the competitive games there besides smash (I'm not even that good at smash...).

Since when are DDR and GH viable tournament games? There's really no strategy too them.... It's how well you've memorized the songs/how obsessively you've played. Oh well, if they hold tournaments for them, I guess you have to list them. I think strategy is an important aspect that needs to be present in a competitive game though.

I hope you take into account that posting this on smashboards is skewing your results...

jugfingers

Smash Champion
make melee 2.0 with more characters and a more balanced cast. lots of different neutral stages and large cash rewards for tournament play.

Kwan

Smash Cadet
Um, yeah i did work for VV. Now im curious who you are, and how you'd have known that.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Um, yeah i did work for VV. Now im curious who you are, and how you'd have known that.
My brother Denny worked with you and Smashed with you while you were both interning.

Your name sounded familiar and you were in the general area so I assumed it was the same person he used to play with. Small world.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Umm. What does that have to do with anything?
Hello Smashboards,

I'm currently working on a student research project at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My research focuses on the development of future video games with a tournament scene in mind.

-Michael Kwan

before posting in a thread sometimes I find it beneficial to read what the thread is about.

only sometimes though.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
That was an extremely detailed and enjoyable survey. I hope that your research project turns out to be a great success.

Top Bottom