• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Completed - SF:E (Winter)

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I can't believe this.
George - James is right. Most credible writing professors will argue that a sentence of that type does not require a comma, though to include one would be just as sensible.
Bart - We use commas before coordinating conjunctions joining independent clauses.
So.
"Not to be rude or anything, but do you Gresham people even go to school or did they not teach you grammar?"
He made good usage of the comma before the parenthetical expression, "Not to be rude," but lacked one that would separate, "...go to school or did they not..."
Though this idea is sometimes permissible, in this case it is not. The word "even" in that sentence is unnecessary, and degrades the sentence. More specific to the issue at hand, the two unseparated ideas do not logically coincide with eachother. To ask, "do you even go to school?" implies the doubt of a positive response(yes) due in part to the word even. Following a question posed in such a way with another which would imply knowledge of the opposite("did they not teach you grammar?") is inconsistent and does connect well. It would have been best to say..
"Not to be rude or anything, but do you Gresham people go to school? Contrarily, if you do go to one, have you not been taught proper grammar?"

And George, it seems, reiterates the point I have once already made: "this is a discussion vehicle, not a scientific thesis."

Eggz - Do you have Stepmania Online? I can download it again if you want to play.

DXY!

Smash Rookie
Stepmania is a Poor Man's version of Beatmania IIDX (And well....DDR too), my game of choice :)

Anyway, I'm new to any sort of Smash tournaments, so I'm looking forward to meeting fellow Oregon Smashers.

Airdeius

Smash Cadet
I am sorry i was never thought how to read good or spell good or grammar most of the time if i dont know how to spell a word i google it or i ask some one and if it dusent work i think of a diffrent way to say it. I had a really hard time in school i have moved about 16 times in my life and im 16 years old,i droped out of school for a year because i moved so much and now im not going to graduate school. Im sorry about my grammar guys i really am you dont know how bad i feel right now.well this will be my last post and last of hereing from me because im not a good player and im not a good poster so thanks for every thing guys it wa really fun and George i meant i dident like you not OC...Good bye

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Well, if that wasn't the most ironically depressing response to an accusation of having poor grammar I've ever read..

OC George

Smash Apprentice
Its rather sad in a way. But since the guy didn't like me anyways, no tears shall be shed.

Good Luck Airdeius, you'll always be in my heart!

Wait a sec, i don't know if that sounds believable. Don't you still need to get back your crap from Timmy? And I still need to play and beat you. Thats no fun.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
There's actually one this weekend, friday-sunday. The bulk of the tournament activities is going to be on Saturday. It's in.. Tualatin? Sherwood? That area. I think I'll join you guys on the party tomorrow, and perhaps Saturday we drive to Tualatin, split gas money? If you or Josh have a car and are willing to drive there, that is. Actually, are Josh and Meredith interested in attending?

DXY!

Smash Rookie
Meredith doesn't really enjoy the game, she only plays occasionally because Josh and I play it so much. She knows how to Down+B with Pikachu and that's about the pinnacle of her Smash skills :D

Josh does have a vehicle, but I don't think I could convince him to go up there this weekend on such short notice. I don't own a vehicle myself so that would limit our options. I can ask him though.

You are more than welcome to come over tomorrow night, though I am not sure how much Smash will be played. People coming over will probably be looking forward to playing Wario Ware. But we'll definitely be playing Smash at some point.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Well, if that wasn't the most ironically depressing response to an accusation of having poor grammar I've ever read..
Well, if that wasn't the saddest attempt to sound intelligent I've ever read. Even the mechanics in that sentence need some help. Using larger words doesn't make you sound intelligent, being straightforward does.

"Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compels the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account."

George gets the point across rather well.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I certainly wouldn't call that an attempt to sound intelligent. You'll have to realize my long-winded nature when it comes to writing. If you are to argue that the length of what I said was intended to construe my superior intellect, I must inform you of how foolish it is to ascribe that characteristic in such a way through writing, especially over the internet. Perhaps more important is the fact that I currently had nothing which would drive me to display myself as such - for what would be the point in me trying sounding intellectually superior to someone who had just expressedly wallowed in their self-pity? And since you're arguing that I was attempting to sound intelligent, I am somewhat inclined to point out: are you not doing the same in trying to put me down? Are you not attempting to make yourself out to be bigger than me in pointing out an error I made, and quoting a smarter man than yourself on the subject in order to help your side? What, then, is your point? For if we're going to analyze mechanics, which we've already established in this thread as useless, you might want to take into consideration your misuse of the comma in your third sentence. This is what I'm talking about, guys. Boo hoo if someone has notable mistakes in the structure of their sentences. This is an internet forum, not a doctoral thesis. Let's bring down the testosterone levels and overcome the innate male desire to prove to oneself(and others?) his own authority over the others. Cause, really, who gives a **** here?

"Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compels the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account."

George gets the point across rather well.
I hope you meant to contradict yourself in saying that he gets his point across effectively. That'd be good humor. I should hope you meant for it to happen that way, as that would have been my goal, but I am slightly disinclined to believe it. The veil the internet casts over the intent of words is a thick one, and I have not seen proof of your capacity to make use of that technique.

What is WITH this evergrowing debate squad watching my every move? Protecting my e-***** can be irksome.

I suppose for the sake of this post being reader friendly, I should summarize. brdy, you make the uneducated assumption that I am attempting to come off as more intelligent than is actual through my lengthy wording, which is not only a fallible thing to do, but completely overlooks the fact that everyone has their own way of writing; mine happens to be a long-winded one.

OC George

Smash Apprentice
Its actually very interesting how Josh writes. Im very amazed at how well he uses his vocab. Sometimes its awe shocking, and sometimes its F****** annoying. But either way, its impressive. :)

brdy_

Smash Lord
That comma was not misused. If you're suggesting a semi-colon belongs there, you'd be mistaken. A period would not be used, since they are dependent clauses. A comma seems like a perfect fit in that case.

When I quoted George Orwell, I was referencing an essay he wrote decades ago called, "Politics and the English Language." In the essay, he says that pseudo-intellectual modern English is crap. He takes a quote from the bible and then rephrases it in "modern English."

Here is a well-known verse from Ecclesiastes:

I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Here it is in modern English:

Objective considerations of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account.
I was hoping you wouldn't get the reference, claiming I contradict myself. :)

Impressive? No.

OC George

Smash Apprentice
Brdy's comma was not misused.

But once again, WTF are we bickering over useless ****. This is a forum. Who gives a D***!!!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was really into English in third grade, but realized all its shortcomings soon thereafter. Now I prefer vernacular, argot, colloquisms and "dumb talk" best.

James does good in tournaments.

Juce

Smash Ace
<-- Aftermath

<3333333 Josh (although his comma wasn't misused) Also, back to Doc's post, if you take out the word "even" from the sentence you can't really add "Contrarily" to the start of the next sentence, since without "even," the original question doesn't presuppose a negative response (if I phrased that correctly).

My problem with grammar is that I know how to fix it when I look at it but suck at just saying something that isn't crazy full of errors, even moreso when I speak.

Timmy - Lies.

Airdeius - I really hope you were kidding, because I want to see Gresham again.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
That comma was not misused. If you're suggesting a semi-colon belongs there, you'd be mistaken. A period would not be used, since they are dependent clauses. A comma seems like a perfect fit in that case.
What seems like the right thing doesn't necessarily always fit the bill. A semicolon is used between closely related independent clauses not joined with a coordinating conjunction. That is what that sentencence consisted of.
As an example: I rented a few games yesterday; Smash was the best.
So.
Using larger words doesn't make you sound intelligent; being straightforward does.
You're wrong, as is everyone else whom disagrees with me.

When I quoted George Orwell, I was referencing an essay he wrote decades ago called, "Politics and the English Language." In the essay, he says that pseudo-intellectual modern English is crap. He takes a quote from the bible and then rephrases it in "modern English."

I was hoping you wouldn't get the reference, claiming I contradict myself. :)

Impressive? No.
I already knew what you got it from. It was easy enough to copy and paste that into google and get a wikipedia result. The contradiction exists in the fact that he doesn't get the point across well because he goes against what he himself is saying in using an unnecessary amount of words. It's a sort of ironic humor in order to stress a point. Dig?
EDIT: I hadn't seen that he actually acknowledged the two separate sections in the same essay. For some reason I was under the impression that he was leaving it up to the reader to determine what it was he had changed, and make no mention of it. The reality is less humorous to me than what I had hoped it was. In any case, the subject is more of a red herring than anything. Nothing important is accomplished. It does not harm the quality of my point in saying "I wasn't trying to sound intelligent by using more words than someone else would, that's just how I write."

brdy_

Smash Lord
lol @ sentencence

If you actually understood the essay you'd understand how well he is getting his point across.

"Being straightforward does" is not an independent clause, *******. A comma works fine there.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I am just as capable of employing ad hominems into the discussion, though I realize their inadvertent effect and so choose not to. You would do well to follow.
"Being straightforward does" does border the realm of an incomplete sentence, though it is close enough that the use of a semicolon would be more appropriate. Even still, this does not attach worth to the relevance of the point which I made.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I thought Kyle was opinionated, but not douchey. I met him and actually got to know him through NCT2, and thought he was pretty cool. I can respect someone who isn't afraid to state their opinion. Know what I mean? I think it's pretty unfair to call someone a douchbag because of that. It's not like he spits in people's hair, or closes doors before someone can walk through.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
*EDIT*

Oops, I wanted my post to be in OSM, not this thread.

Balloon

Smash Lord
I thought Kyle was opinionated, but not douchey. I met him and actually got to know him through NCT2, and thought he was pretty cool. I can respect someone who isn't afraid to state their opinion. Know what I mean? I think it's pretty unfair to call someone a douchbag because of that. It's not like he spits in people's hair, or closes doors before someone can walk through.
Yeah, because I said that's why he's a douchebag and all.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Well, clearly, what constitutes someone being a douchebag is different in our eyes.

Balloon

Smash Lord
What? That doesn't even make sense, unless you somehow didn't notice the extreme amount of sarcasm in my post...

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I noticed. It totally makes sense. In my post, I gave examples of the behavior I see a douchebag exhibiting. You went to say, in effect, that you didn't think him a douchebag for those reasons. Clearly, we have different ideas of what constitutes that title. Am I right?

Balloon

Smash Lord
That and he actually DOESN'T state his opinion. For so long he wouldn't tell me that he thought I sucked, so I would always ask to play friendlies with him, and he would just not talk to me or anything. Ratking is a douchebag. There wasn't a single cool thing about him, except that he once hosted and housed a TANG (actually was it more than once? who knows).

Oh, and yeah Josh, I completely missed the last sentence of that post. My bad. But you still assumed that I was saying he was a douchebag because he supposedly "states his opinion." I pretty much always say what's on my mind. I respect people who do, because I hate when people just dodge around **** and try to hide how they truly feel.

Top Bottom