• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Touhou Hisoutensoku Thread

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I used to complain about whether, then I got good enough to react to the weather coming up and get it changed or keep it. I still can't think of the cycle mid match, but it's a lot better than being at the whimsy of fate.

Dango

Smash Rookie
Who else has the name of Dango, with a sincere love for my froggy waifu, and ridiculous hisoutensoku junk?

How's it been Jam?
108.212.78.209:10800 (US West)
if anyone wants to soku. Only West/Central please

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Not playing Dango again until I'm not terrible.
He was the first person I played in the lobby and my body was not ready for the horrible things that were done to it. :<

Dango

Smash Rookie
Not playing Dango again until I'm not terrible.
He was the first person I played in the lobby and my body was not ready for the horrible things that were done to it. :<
;_; What do you mean? I'm clearly the worst player of hisoutensoku ever!
You won't get better until you realize what you're doing wrong. Then again, i'll be looking forward to the day you get not-as-bad-as-a-baddie-like-me
;_;

Okay anyways,
108.212.78.209:10800 (US west)
if anyone wants to soku.
West/Central only please.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You won't get better until you realize what you're doing wrong. Then again, i'll be looking forward to the day you get not-as-bad-as-a-baddie-like-me
;_;
Yep! I've been improving each time I play by looking through replays to see what I'm doing wrong and asking people for advice.
Just wish there was a complete listing of frame data to study, though. I only find scraps here and there. ^^;

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
I learned most of what I've learned so far from playing in the lobby/IRC or watching replays. The Wiki kind of helps, too.
Curious, what's your character?
I've played zero games against a human opponent, so I don't really have a main yet. I think I want to play Yuyuko or Tenshi because their moves feel good.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
What I learned today:
Hit random buttons with Sakuya and you can limit combos regardless of experience!
Also, rolling ice balls with Cirno is fun.

I'll probably be on again tomorrow, jam. Might put up a better fight then, if you want to play again.

Dango

Smash Rookie
Well, frame data is kinda useless in soku tbh, unless you're trying to dispute border-line BE catches, which even that doesnt make a difference as much as the game itself goes. If this was like KoF or SF, i'd understand the reason to learn frame data, but in soku, experience is your version of frame data. Just because you know how long an iku's j.2A is in actual frame length/startup doesnt give you the absolute power to know when it's not gonna hit the very edge or when to turn it around.

I personally find frame data-heavy players in soku stupid.

But yeah, i'm just built off pure experience really. At first, what you wanna do is learn the basic and advanced parts of the general mechanics (ie: Triangle Grazing, BE, etc) then try to improve once you reach a solid level. I study replays a bit from a certain idol of mine, but that's to add an extra touch to my play, instead of trying to actually 'improve' off it. And no, CPUs wont help at all. Beating a Lunatic CPU isn't much of an achievement when it comes to peer-to-peer games. Its more of a 'given' type thing lol.

Wiki has a lot of strayed information as well. It's good to an extent, but i dont recommend relying on it.

108.212.78.209:10800 (US West) If anyone wants to soku
West/Central only please

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Played Dango again, despite swearing to only play him again when I'm the best Aya ever.
Wasn't much better this time. ^^;

I DID get at least one hit in on his Cirno every game we did Cirno dittos. Thank you, random Ice Balls! X3

EDIT: And my controller killed itself. Dammit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Anyone out there still play IaMP? I happened to get a few games in with Star King and I'm wondering if I might've missed anybody else on SWF.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I feel as though I'm doing a lot better now after taking a break for a few weeks.
Also never realized how awesome Tengu Drum can be. Everyone always told me that it was just a gimmick.

BTW. I'll probably be on Skype at some point Sunday/Monday, if anyone feels like helping me learn Tenshi/Okuu by beating me senseless.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Cool beans. Now to figure out how to keep Skype from overriding headphone usage...
Scares the hell out of anybody in the room when it's just suddenly Soku music blaring during chat between matches, but I didn't know this was happening until the last time I played jam. ^^;

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Also never realized how awesome Tengu Drum can be. Everyone always told me that it was just a gimmick.

BTW. I'll probably be on Skype at some point Sunday/Monday, if anyone feels like helping me learn Tenshi/Okuu by beating me senseless.
Is Tengu Drum the Bison Stomp? I honestly wanted to play Aya just for that moveandpebbles. Not a gimmick at all, you just gotta be smart about it.

Now that I'm back from my work trip, I'd be happy to help you out with Tenshi/Okuu if you're still looking into that. Tenshi and Okuu are past mains of mine.

If word hasn't gotten around, I'm working on a Reimu to pair up with my Sanae. I might just end up playing double mikos, Reimu is really fun and I'm unfortunately blessed with Sanae.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Here Gova made pebbles out to be the best thing ever.
Terrible.

Thanks for playing, Jam and Sold. It was fun.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Unfortunately I never got to talk to you about Tenshi but w/e. Was fun. Thinking about going back to my days of Iku.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
"Iron Cheeks Marisa", they call her.

Unfortunately I never got to talk to you about Tenshi but w/e. Was fun. Thinking about going back to my days of Iku.
It's fine. Tenshi doesn't seem too hard to figure out.
Just takes time to get used to her. I'd still appreciate some pointers sometime, though.

Iku? j.2A? More like j.2GAY!!
Sorry, I feel bad now.

Well, frame data is kinda useless in soku tbh, unless you're trying to dispute border-line BE catches, which even that doesnt make a difference as much as the game itself goes. If this was like KoF or SF, i'd understand the reason to learn frame data, but in soku, experience is your version of frame data. Just because you know how long an iku's j.2A is in actual frame length/startup doesnt give you the absolute power to know when it's not gonna hit the very edge or when to turn it around.

I personally find frame data-heavy players in soku stupid.
Sorry, just noticed this.
Dango, I understand that knowing specific frame data won't give me some magical ability to beat moves with moves that are 1 frame faster than the moves used or any of that jazz. I know that experience is needed to learn spacing, stage control, okizeme, comboing, proper defense, etc.
You have to understand that I don't HAVE the ability to play 10-20 times a day the way you might. I can usually play 1-2 days every 1-3 weeks. I'm in the lobby or on Skype every chance I get on those days, and I'm playing to learn 99% of the time I'm in there. I just can't get as much experience as you could in a month.
Frame data just gives me a better understanding of what is punishable, how punishable it is, how quickly people can act with certain cards in their deck, etc. etc. without actually being able to play.

Really hope I didn't miss the point of your post.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Frame data is like any other tool : it's what you use it for that makes it valuable or not.
Knowing startup/cooldown isn't that important, but knowing if a blockstring is airtight matters.

Also just got back from an anime convention where I entered 2 soku tournaments and ranked 2nd and 4th, mainly because people weren't familiar with Yukari's 623 range,vids should come up soon.

PS : thank you to whoever said I should jump less, it really helped me.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
First bit is just playing around with characters in training mode. Get a feel for movement in the game and how to move and stuff. Then either download Soku Lobby or find a group of people to play with. We have a small Soku skype group for here.

I'm willing to play most of the time and I can teach you the game. Or someone else can help you.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i use it because of personal preference tbh

i feel it has more fullscreen presence, plus it's pretty fast, dense and an easy finisher

also, lv4 summer red literally changes the way your opponent has to play the game

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I usually use Flame because it's loldense and lasts forever. Also because I have this habit of getting smacked in the face by Oku 5C by forgetting to graze and trying to 5C it back >_>

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I beg your pardon for this interruption, but
OH GOD, MORE PATCHOULI!?

BTW. Jam seems to be perpetually in the Skype, so you could probably get some good practice with him.
I try to get in there when I'm in town, which is on random weekends. I'll probably be in there... Friday afternoon/evening, if you want to play with a SCRUB Aya. XP

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Oh gosh the next time i play jam i'm gonna be in a treat playing him with my rust.

I keep stalling from playing cause i want a controller first >_> /excuse

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Use a PS3/360 controller or something. That's what I've been doing since my controller failed.

That PS3 D-pad HURTS after a little, though.

Top Bottom