• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Totally Normal Mafia [Game Over, Town and Independent Win]

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Oh...right, forgot you couldn't edit. Sorry :X Rockins post popped up on me when I was responding to Kevin. I hope that's not bad X.X

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Kay, first of all, stingers, NO EDITING YOUR POST. I know you didn't add anything but the rule states you can't edit your post under any circumstances.

2nd, my mistake about the were-wolf part. I thought this thread I saw you (which was that mafia waiting list thread) said you parttook in a were-wolf game, but you didn't and it was just a mafia game. lol

The point doesn't change though: You're not taking the game seriously (or at least as serious as you should). Voting is serious business and each vote has some kind of weight, even on the first day. If you don't shape up, Mafia will have no problem manipulating you to vote on their terms.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Rockin, trust me on this. I absolutely know 100% what I am doing right now. Trust me. Lol. I'm taking the game perfectly seriously, and I think you guys need to...really, just stop being so afraid to lynch. Being afraid to lynch gets the town nowhere. If you think somebody is scum, you vote for them. That's how it works, guys.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
KevinM, I don't think your uh...plan was that great there @.@

I'm staying on Marshy for now, since the rest of Town is too afraid to lynch anyone it seems like we're just gonna have to wait a few days until night.
Once again, I really don't like the sound of this post. First of all, you don't really respond to Kevin's question at all. You say you're staying on Marshy because town is "afraid to lynch," but you've not given anywhere else to look now that he's explained himself and doesn't seem as good of a target.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
What? Am I town leader all of a sudden? I told Kevin what I'm doing, and since most of you guys don't want to lynch Marshy, I guess you can find someone else to lynch o.O

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Rockin, trust me on this. I absolutely know 100% what I am doing right now. Trust me. Lol. I'm taking the game perfectly seriously, and I think you guys need to...really, just stop being so afraid to lynch. Being afraid to lynch gets the town nowhere. If you think somebody is scum, you vote for them. That's how it works, guys.
It's hard to trust you when you feel town is scared to lynch. I'm not scared to lynch. I consider my vote carefully. If we mislynch and I gave reason, at least Town would see that I have some form of reason for lynching, where as your way would be just 'Just trust me.' I can't trust you if you can't give me reason to.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
...What? I'm asking you to lynch based on reason, anything else would be idiocy. But when you have a reason, you're still hesitant to lynch. That's that problem with Town.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
First of all, Marshy, use some capitalization please, kinda hard to read:p Anyway, to the first part of this post, I do agree that it helps when people vote their suspicion, but did you not notice that stingers did the SAME thing I was calling you out on when he voted you? I don't necessarily think he's mafia, but the fact that I call you out for voting with no explanation, and he does nearly the same thing to you definitely raises some suspicion.
I did notice that, but didn't find it suspicious. Why? Because I did the same thing earlier as Town. Townies bandwagon sometimes, especially at the beginning of Day 1. You can say "But it was so hypocritical!" but so what? You're telling me stingers' plan was to contradict himself immediately after his last post? Not as big a deal as most players are making it.

Plus I give him credit for actually pointing at someone and giving reasoning which I liked enough that I wanted to support the vote to ensure a response.

@Marshy: You've told us stingers doesn't jump out at you, is there anyone who does? Who DO you suspect right now, and why?(The second part of this question applies to everyone really, but Marshy has yet to point out any suspicions so I chose to direct the comment at him.)
Rockin. Most of his last post is just flaming stingers for not playing like he expects him to. Fact of the matter is that he has been playing better than most.

Vote Rockin

For exaggerating.

We are a little tunnel visioned? It seems like nearly everyone comes in here to give stingers a swift kick in the balls, a few thoughts on Egruntz's "newb card" and talk about little else.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I guess I should confirm that stingers didn't change anything in his post aside from adding the "EDIT:". But don't do it again!

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I'm also suspicious of jungle. That's because he's staying active and posting some fluff here and there. However he's made some posts and points I like, though I think he exaggerated the consequences of voting Day 1. Then again that may be a lot of bias because I've found that I'm always suspicious of jungle ever since Potter mafia.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, well most of the reason my posts have been centered on that recently is most of the discussion stemmed from very few people for the while. Also I wanted to put some pressure on him to see how he responded. I do agree though that he has been putting a lot more of his thought on scum out there than most of town, and in general doing a better job(I've liked his responses to the pressure I've put on him so far). The vote he put on you is still something I will hold in mind, as is yours, regardless. Not in a sense of voting, as both of you have explained yourselves well, but if I begin to think one is scum I will be looking at them with a lot more scrutiny to see how it compares.

The problem so far is lack of posting by many of our townies. A lot of the reason some of the things I've mentioned have stood out so much, is that there's simply not enough suspicions and such being given by other players for me to scrutinize more widely. And more importantly, whenever people are posting they are jumping on the stingers discussion, instead of bringing up other points and theories. Jungle and Hando have given probably the most quality posts outside our top posters, and they are still absent of talk about suspicions of anyone outside the egruntz/stingers combo. While I can see where they're coming from, I feel this is becoming like Spidey-mafia where Hando and Eor drew all the attention day 1, and at the end of the day we aren't going to be confident in either lynch and end up with a no lynch because we didn't spread our thoughts around.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I dunno why you call it exageration. I'm just throwing my views upon what's been read up so far. Before the egruntz and stinger issue, nothing else came in mind for me to talk about or share, and as others should know, I don't really like speaking out upon said issues and therories unless I know it's concrete (for if I just post, it'll seem like it's just all words and no value). It's important that I would like to share something that is worth while or more of interest to talk about.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I don't really think I over exaggerated the voting consequences. If we mislynch a townie, and a more than likely SK hits a townie, along with the normal mafia NK, we have three downed townies in a not-so-huge game. In a game like Spidey and HP where we had close to 20 people our mistakes were less punishable. Here in this game our mistakes have bigger consequences.

KevM: Who do you find suspicious? You haven't really told us who you've been thinking about, but you've asked some good extension questions, so I assume you've had some thoughts. Who are you thinking about?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
KevinM, I don't think your uh...plan was that great there @.@
You didn't answer my question at all.

I had no plan, I simply asked you a question.

And no you're not the town leader just because people ask you questions.

No one is "afraid" to vote right now.

Its the fact that no one is ****ing saying anything that makes people uneasy to vote.

Spider-Manfia had I believe 10-11 pages of discussion D1. Look at this pathetic game.

So I ask you again.

Are you suspicious of any other players.

Also, why are you still suspicious of Marshy, what is he doing to you that is a scumtell.

Keep in mind your whole, lynch isn't something to be afraid of.. is a bad idea in such a small game. I don't want to lynch just to lynch, I want to lynch based off of discussion.

So stop berating people for holding onto their votes and answer the questions.

@ Junglefever, I'm not one for making suspicion lists early D1 and having the people I'm watching change their playstyle, I'll explain it adequately two days before the deadline don't think I'm ignoring you.

However, I'd like to know some of your thoughts on this D1 so far, besides the extreme inactivity has anything stuck out at you. You haven't made to many strong posts, no offense meant there, and I'm curious if there is anything you really want to touch upon.

@Marshy: Do you think that Rockin is actually being scummy or is he just trying to figure out stingers erratic playstyle?

@Rockin: Do you have any idea where we should look next, or are you stumped because of the lack of activity. If it's the latter I want you to press the person of your choice with 10 questions, I think you can handle that.

@Egruntz: You've had your spiel with Stingers, so I want to ask you, why do you think he's mafia. Is it because he put pressure on you or is it his ideals for D1, what exactly rang out to you as scummy. You said you had backing for your vote but it could just be a simple OMGUS reaction. I'd like to know.

@Handorin: Where you been buddy you haven't posted much in the last weekend, I know fourth of july week johns and all but I'd really like to hear what you have to say about Stingers and Egruntz, did you think it was a discussion between two townies or something more?

@Chaco: You can't hide behind the "new card" forever, so here are a few questions. What do you think of a D1 no lynch with this many players. And what are your thoughts on a role claim as early as D2?

@Mentos: Any advice for newer players, you're always a great player I'd like to hear your thoughts on game theory and it could be nice to have you posting about the game for the newer players to have a foot hold on.

@Yaya and Smashman: Are you guys even there? Come on lets here some thoughts, if right now you had to choose a lynch between Stingers and Egruntz just based off of their exchange, who would you lynch?

Handorin

Smash Hero
@stingers: We aren't afraid to lynch. It's just that we have lots of time to do it. We shouldn't have to rush into one right away. Right now, we have 7 days until the deadline. That gives us 4-5days before we should start narrowing it down or finishing up. If we don't use most of the time given to us, we will end up shooting ourself in the foot.

That being said, I don't really like how Rockin is pressuring stingers. At one point he said "you aren't taking the game seriously enough." Well, he is. It's almost the same argument on me in Spider-mafia D1, except with less weight. I think Rockin is grasping at straws at worse.

Vote: Rockin

Handorin

Smash Hero
KevinM is a ninja...

I hope that kinda answered your question. If want more, then I guess you shall receive after I get off work.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
To be honest Kev, D1 is always the toughest for me to decide upon a good lynch vote.

I've all ready addressed my view on Stingers.

Someone I want to look at is Chaco. Maybe it's just his newbishness, but I see him over in his other game (teehee metagaming) and he's posting away his thoughts on others, even D1. Here he has been very cautious and hasn't said much that has already been said.

I'm also always suspicious of Marshy, since he always manages to fly under the radar in most games, and the epic win where no one had much suspicion at all on him in HP mafia, and where he survived what looked like a surefire D1 lynch.

That's all I got

And no offense taken bud :D

Chaco

Never Logs In
@Chaco: Ok, so you don't think there's enough backing to lynch anyone yet, is there anything that even slightly causes question to you? Just because there's not enough backing to lynch someone doesn't mean there's nothing worth posting... Let's hear your thoughts!
Egruntz. He just kinda seems like newbie mafia to me. I'll post more reasoning behind this when I'm not multiquoting.

@Chaco: You can't hide behind the "new card" forever, so here are a few questions. What do you think of a D1 no lynch with this many players. And what are your thoughts on a role claim as early as D2?
Yeah, I know, lol. D1 with a no lynch with this many players? Well, in my opinion it's not to bad. But that's dependent on other roles. If we were to mis lynch today, someone gets killed at night, and then there's an indy as well it's not gonna be good. You're talking the possibility of quite a few people down. So no lycnh isn't necessarily bad, but not good either. If you have a good well educated guess on who's scummy vote for em.

Name claim on D2? That's just putting a giant target on your back, and is not smart to do. If someone does name claim on D2 it's quite possible they are just faking the role.

Someone I want to look at is Chaco. Maybe it's just his newbishness, but I see him over in his other game (teehee metagaming) and he's posting away his thoughts on others, even D1. Here he has been very cautious and hasn't said much that has already been said.
Well, the main reason for me being cautious is the different level of play here. In the other game it's pretty even in know how, with the exception of Marshy and Frozenflame. It's easier for me to voice my opinion, whether right or wrong, because of this. It's more for learning. At this point in this game, I'm still basically just watching everyone and learning as it goes. I don't mean to be overly quiet, but there's a lot of things I don't know how to respond to. Some of the "tricks" and such you people can pull instantly go over me. So, just gimme some time and I'll start posting more.

smashman90

Smash Lord
@Yaya and Smashman: Are you guys even there? Come on lets here some thoughts, if right now you had to choose a lynch between Stingers and Egruntz just based off of their exchange, who would you lynch?
Yea, I am here. I posted yesterday.

It is difficult to choose , there are both problems that seem scummy about them. It would probably be a cointoss for me. I can't really pick between one or the other. Egruntz keeps mentioning that he's newb, he's newb, blah blah blah and it seems suspicious that he keeps reminding us. Yea, he is a newb, but a newb wouldn't keep reminding us that. However, if Egruntz is mafia, then I don't see the point of making him excessively mention the fact that he is a newb because that would draw too much attention to himself.

Stingers, well his playstyle is probably different considering his past mafia games before he started participating in the forum mafia games. But seeing as he has played more mafia games than Egruntz has, then he should be somewhat more knowledgeable about mafia and know basic tactics, tricks, roles, and such. The way that he has been playing seems a bit too, well I guess "aggressive" would be a good word to describe it, right? He seems triggerhappy when it comes to voting. Again, this is probably the result of playing on AIM mafia but still it makes me a little suspicious of Stingers.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Mentos: Any advice for newer players, you're always a great player I'd like to hear your thoughts on game theory and it could be nice to have you posting about the game for the newer players to have a foot hold on.
Ok, my thoughts on the game itself for the newer players? First of all I think it's safe to assume we have a serial killer. As an important note, if there's a vigilante out there, DO NOT SHOOT TONIGHT. The problems with that are twofold. It puts us in a very bad numbers situation regardless of a lynch/no lynch today, and we can't tell if a second kill is a vig or a killer. So if you're out there, don't shoot n1 so we can tell what we're up against.

Regardless of having an sk or not, I think a lynch today is our best option, although a no lynch is not far behind it. If we have an sk, nl buys us an extra night to hope for killer/maf hitting the other side, and one more try for investigative roles. On the other hand, nl'ing also makes it highly unsafe to lynch tomorrow, meaning we would have to sit back till the last minute to make a lynch and let the game be predominately played at night. If we have no sk, we would still have a couple mislynches tomorrow, so it won't affect us much.

Also, we have no idea what roles are in the game. So if someone claims they're a tracker, doesn't have a counter-claim, and followed someone to the dead body, don't quick lynch, discuss it and make sure to give them time to defend themselves, as you never know if they're really that role or not. Long story short: never vote without discussion, it never hurts to use the whole time of the day.

If you find someone suspicious, scrutinize their posts. Ask questions of things that irk you. The more questions that are asked, the higher chance of pressuring them into saying something on accident.

As was said earlier, if you notice anything, please, point it out. Saying things that have already been said helps let us know your thoughts(and it's very good for townies to make their thoughts clear), but more than that, saying things that haven't been pointed out can sometimes single out a mafia and give us some good discussion and pressure on them, and may lead to a successful lynch.

Finally, if you're at Lynch-1 in votes, and you have a power role(cop, doc, etc), by all means CLAIM. If you're the clear lynch target and a hammer vote shy, tell us what you are. That way we can unvote and re-evaluate if need be, and if you get lynched without ever claiming that just hurts us.(especially day 2 and on, when you may have information that could help us that you don't get out because you were lynched without claiming.

I'll be back with some thoughts in a little bit, gotta do some stuff for batman before I look through the past little bit.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Egruntz keeps mentioning that he's newb, he's newb, blah blah blah and it seems suspicious that he keeps reminding us. Yea, he is a newb, but a newb wouldn't keep reminding us that. However, if Egruntz is mafia, then I don't see the point of making him excessively mention the fact that he is a newb because that would draw too much attention to himself.
Well, I'm not constantly reminding people I'm a newb now am I? I've said it once. Where as Egruntz has said it several times, and trying to pass it off as a newb mistake/john. I really don't see the point in doing that as a newb player myself unless really needed. It just attracts useless attention to yourself, as stated. Everytime he types something suspicious or of the sort he covers it with that. Newbie mafia behavior.

Vote: Egruntz

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
It is difficult to choose , there are both problems that seem scummy about them. It would probably be a cointoss for me. I can't really pick between one or the other. Egruntz keeps mentioning that he's newb, he's newb, blah blah blah and it seems suspicious that he keeps reminding us. Yea, he is a newb, but a newb wouldn't keep reminding us that. However, if Egruntz is mafia, then I don't see the point of making him excessively mention the fact that he is a newb because that would draw too much attention to himself.
If you don't see the point to him doing that as mafia, then why do you think it's potentially scummy of him to keep mentioning it? Also, why did you ask Egruntz if he was in Hellhouse mafia earlier? Did you think he'd lie about something verifiable? I mean, there's an archive in the room.

@Marshy: Do you think that Rockin is actually being scummy or is he just trying to figure out stingers erratic playstyle?
The latter.

Or crush town. a mislynch is a bad thing, and from the sound of his attitude, he doesn't seem to care if town gets screwed off or not (at least, that's what I'm seeing).
The type of playstyle he plays is really bad, as he could easily be manipulated to mislynching.....Right now, I dunno if he's either town, Mafia, or independet, but if he doesn't change up, he's gonna cost town.
This was the exaggeration.

Unvote Rockin

Yaya? I thought you said you could play now.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I would like to say, like everyone else has, that Egruntz's "I'm a noob" is unacceptable.

Whether or not your a noob, it cannot be used as an excuse, you don't see this in 2v2 at Smash Tourneys.

"Dude, you just edgeguarded me!"

"Well, I'm a noob."

"Then it's okay then, I guess. =)"

NO.

I believe somewhere in the Mafia Tips Thread, it says to watch a few games before entering one, so even then, you should be able to pinpoint mistakes and know what to do.

"I'm a noob" = Fail john.

smashman90

Smash Lord
If you don't see the point to him doing that as mafia, then why do you think it's potentially scummy of him to keep mentioning it?
Well, there is the possibility that he could be an indy trying to get himself lynched. He could be a Bomb or Jester. I do know that a Bomb, Kamikaze, etc. can be either a Town or Anti-Role, so he could be an indy bomber. If Egruntz is town, then the only reason why I could see him acting like this would be if he has a Bomb-type role and is trying to get himself lynched. Besides being a bomb or jester, I can't think of any other reason why he's doing the "I'm a newb" fail john.

Also, why did you ask Egruntz if he was in Hellhouse mafia earlier? Did you think he'd lie about something verifiable? I mean, there's an archive in the room.
Because I could've sworn that he was in another mafia game besides the Hellhouse mafia and I didn't check the archives when I made that post. I think I may have mistaken him for another player from Hellhouse that I haven't seen in a mafia game recently.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Right now, I would go with an Egruntz lynch, for reasons in my last post, and because, after stingers kind of went at him for a bit, Egruntz voted him, which seems a little bit like an OMGUS, IMO.

Handorin

Smash Hero
To answer Kevin's question:
I think egruntz was more scummy in the situation. It seems like stingers put some pressure on him that he couldn't handle, so he just tried pulling some stuff out of cavities. That being said, I don't agree with everything stingers has said and that he isn't out of my suspicion book.

Florida

イーグランツ
Times that I used "the newb card:"

1) Here in response to Rockin asking me if I was new.
2) Here in which I honestly wasn't trying to make it known that I was newb, but just trying to give Tom a compliment.
3) Here and
4) Here where I was actually trying to be funny. I thought mentioning it as a john would be a give-away to Smashers.

Yep, I said it four times. I guess that could look pretty suspicious, but just know that I wanted it to be known as a reason to defend myself if I every said something idiotic over something scummy. I mean, I am newb guys... Cut me some slack! ;)

@kevin I wasn't entirely suspicious of stingers until he responded to my points against him:

Like I said, I've only voted twice...ease down a bit, egruntz.
...I know you're trying to play and all, but you're not doing so good egruntz <.<
you're really just making a fool out of yourself...

...I don't know why you keep pressing that point, it's pretty **** obvious why I voted for him
It just seemed like he got really defensive when I wasn't entirely pressuring him. The responses above got me to ask more questions and raise more suspicion. And that's that.
@mentos I'm not a bomb, not Mafia, and not a jester. I don't want to be lynched.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
you guys are so good at mafia :laugh:
Your continued beration doesn't do anything.

In fact it only hinders the town and you still haven't answered my two questions towards you.

Also how would you feel about a role claim?

I'm curious to your thoughts on it.

If you continue to dodge my questions, my little prod vote on you will turn into a push mark it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yep, I said it four times. I guess that could look pretty suspicious, but just know that I wanted it to be known as a reason to defend myself if I every said something idiotic over something scummy. I mean, I am newb guys... Cut me some slack! ;)
Saying it more times will not add effect to it. We get the fact that your a newb stop preaching it. One would think after being called on it you'd stop.

Florida

イーグランツ
...that was a joke. You didn't see the smiley? ;)
Whatever. I guess it was my fault for trying to use sarcasm over the internet.

Chaco

Never Logs In
...that was a joke. You didn't see the smiley? ;)
Whatever. I guess it was my fault for trying to use sarcasm over the internet.
I understood what you did, but I just wanted a reason to post atm. Lol.

@Stingers: I doubt he meant with just one vote.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you seriously trying to pressure me into a roll claim? With one vote?

Dream on.
you guys are so good at mafia :laugh:
Ok, I'm very close to voting you. Kevin asked how you felt about a role claim, not asked you to role claim now. Second of all, you just seem to want to continually berate town for not quick-lynching with no solid suspicions. While we all consider lynching carefully and are thinking things through, you seem to be pushing a lynch and saying instead of answering questions directed at you, you just continually say that we suck at mafia for playing smart and not trying to come up with a lynch a week before the deadline, and more importantly not deciding way too early that a lynch is the best option. If you continue to berate town because we don't agree with your opinion, it leads me to one of two thoughts.

1. You're mafia trying to make us go through with a lynch knowing that the candidates aren't mafia.
2. You're just being a hinderance to town by refusing to answer questions directed at you, and berating everyone who doesn't agree with you. Even if you are town, leaving you alive gives the mafia someone to point fingers at who is frustrating enough we can believe they're mafia.

Honestly, if you don't start answering questions directed at you and begin playing the game instead of calling everyone terrible who doesn't agree with your opinion, I don't see any benefit to keeping you alive and in the game.

Also, as an aside, I'm going to try to get another good post in tonight, but tomorrow I leave for Canada, and will be there until Sunday night. I'll have my laptop, but may not be able to post very often.

Top Bottom