• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Totally Normal Mafia [Game Over, Town and Independent Win]

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Kevin, I was really just grasping at straws, to be honest. I didn't think there was much to be said. But I DO think it's interesting that stingers is still going after egruntz. Egrntz has made a few newbish moves, but it should be expected. Also, he was so convinced that mentos was right that he felt compelled to vote him.

RIGHT after he said you don't bandwagon like that, he pretty much did the same thing (only not really bandwagoning since mentos didn't vote), voting, not stating much other than "yeah what mentos said is right"

As for the whole Marshy thing that mentos brought up, losing a town aligned Marshy would be bad, but losing a town aligned ANYTHING would be bad. We shouldn't place importance on players based on the player. We should be just as careful with the next person who we are suspicious of.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I gave you my reasoning o.O but alas, I think you're right. marshy made a very scummy vote lol. you don't bandwagon like that.

Unvote
Vote: Marshy
I don't have to say much on the other stuff since mentos covered it, but I will just reiterate that the reasoning was weak.

But you realize you just kinda bandwagoned onto Marsh? Did he do anything other than that 'very' scummy vote that caught your eye? Or can you justify your vote for his one?

Kevin, I was really just grasping at straws, to be honest. I didn't think there was much to be said. But I DO think it's interesting that stingers is still going after egruntz. Egrntz has made a few newbish moves, but it should be expected. Also, he was so convinced that mentos was right that he felt compelled to vote him.
This just in: stingers isn't focusing on egruntz anymore.

RIGHT after he said you don't bandwagon like that, he pretty much did the same thing (only not really bandwagoning since mentos didn't vote), voting, not stating much other than "yeah what mentos said is right"
Actually, mentos already had a vote on Marshy.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Oops. I had not realized it was such a scummy move. I keep thinking that one day a new player is going to come in here and feign ignorance and dupe Town like that. I thought Egruntz could be doing that so I voted him to encourage a response to stingers' accusation. I was not so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but mentos answered for him making it pointless. So Unvote: Egruntz.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Handorin said:
But you realize you just kinda bandwagoned onto Marsh? Did he do anything other than that 'very' scummy vote that caught your eye? Or can you justify your vote for his one?
What other justification is necessary other then the obvious bandwagon vote he made? I'm not as hesitant to vote as most of you are, I guess @.@

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
So you think one bandwagon vote is enough to make someone scummy? Even on day one, there should be more than one justification.

At Hando: errrr oops. Looking back at that post, I am REALLY all over the place (sleep johns). The first part I have NO idea what I'm talking about, because obviosuly by the next paragraph I KNOW he voted for Marshy. The second thing you raise doesn't change the fact that all he did was say 'yeah mentos is right' and thinks its really enough to vote.

Even if it is why you believe he is scum, why do you believe he is scum? Tell us in your own words. Otherwise it really looks like you are just jumping on a potential bandwagon early.

Florida

イーグランツ
Lol, and inactive day at the beach produces suspicion on me and then clears itself out. Yay! :3
But just to say that I did back myself up: I'm a very, very, very newbish player, but I still think that your logic for my "scumminess" is crap. Placing a vote for a no lynch was a simple yet newbish opinion, but you're saying that when I unvoted after arguments against it were brought up, that was a scummy move? :'[ that makes me cry. I really just didn't see the point in pushing for something that no one would support.

Joke votes = joke votes. I had no reasoning for countervoting you. It was random. Lul.
Kay, cool. Lul:

hand said:
QFT

smashman90

Smash Lord
But just to say that I did back myself up: I'm a very, very, very newbish player, but I still think that your logic for my "scumminess" is crap. Placing a vote for a no lynch was a simple yet newbish opinion, but you're saying that when I unvoted after arguments against it were brought up, that was a scummy move? :'[ that makes me cry. I really just didn't see the point in pushing for something that no one would support.
Correct me if I am wrong here, but weren't you in other Mafia games besides Eor's Hellhouse mafia?

Florida

イーグランツ
Um nope. I just joined one yesterday at mafiascum, but that's it.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
So....uh

Inactivity makes me :mad:

So Rockin, Chaco, Yaya, Smashman...Thoughts on what has transpired so far? You guys haven't said much (Chaco, your one liner doesn't count). Thoughts on egruntz? What mentos has said? Stingers jumpiness to vote?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
jumpiness to vote? it's called not being a *****...you can't win without voting. i vote for whoever i see as scum, and nothing less. i've only made 2 votes.

Chaco

Never Logs In
So Rockin, Chaco, Yaya, Smashman...Thoughts on what has transpired so far? You guys haven't said much (Chaco, your one liner doesn't count). Thoughts on egruntz? What mentos has said? Stingers jumpiness to vote?
Whu? My one liner doesn't count....****. Anyways, I've been watching more than anything at the time being. I'm still very new to this and seeing how things work still. I'll read through everything once I get home and make my comments.

smashman90

Smash Lord
So....uh

Inactivity makes me :mad:

I've kinda been puzzled about Egruntz's post. Yes, egruntz is a new player but I got these weird vibes from this post of his:

Lol, and inactive day at the beach produces suspicion on me and then clears itself out. Yay! :3

Joke votes = joke votes. I had no reasoning for countervoting you. It was random. Lul.
Kay, cool. Lul:
Something feels fake about that post but I'll try to explain it the best that I can but I got a feeling that I'll end up confusing somebody. I want to say that he is just using the "I'm a newb" card to make himself look town that way we can ignore him and blame anything he does wrong as a result of him being a n00b. Something seems fake about his post but I can't put my finger on it and another problem is that he is a newb and he could actually be a townie being noobish. I asked if he was in previous mafia games just to make sure he was a newb. I knew he was in Eor's Hellhouse mafia, but I could've sworn I remember him being in others. This makes it hard for me to determine if he is town or anti-town. So I'm not sure if I want to trust the "fake" vibes I'm getting from that post or to believe he is just a n00b townie.

Stingers has played different Mafia games it seems, so his playstyle is probably very different from ours. I think his actions may just be a result of the AIM (You said you played mafia games on AIM, right?) mafia games he has played. But either way, I'm definitely keeping an eye on him. I don't think he is voteworthy right now, but I do think it is a little suspicious about his readyness to vote.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
So stinger, you are saying it's okay to vote on little or no evidence? Your playstyle seems to be suggesting that. Yes, you have to vote to win. But misvote, we mislynch, and we lose. Bandwagon votes are dangerous. Not saying you jumped on the bandwagon, but an indy and the two mafia jump on that bandwagon and we have ourselves a lynch (or very close to one).

also. <3 Chaco. Just want to generate moar discussion :D

Florida

イーグランツ
I'm using the "I'm a newb 'card'," because I'm a newb. I've only played in Eor's Hellhouse, this, and one game which is still running at Mafiascum. It's a genuine john...if there is such a thing.

Anyway, for now, no one really has my suspicions noticed. I think I may have to get used to certain people's play-style before I can really tell if there's anything fishy about the posts they make.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
What do you mean little or no evidence? It's Day 1. It's impossible for any power role to have gained any information yet (besides silly roles like Day Cop) and you need to act based on your own instincts. As far as I'm concerned, Marshy just buying into my reasoning with absolutely no explanation was a stupidly scummy thing to do. There is no excuse for Marshy blindly following me like that when, as you say, I have no proof. If he had posted some of his own reasoning as well, I would've been a lot more accepting of it.

You can't be afraid to vote assuming that the person you're voting might be Town because then you will never get anywhere and the game will really only be played at night. Playing a game only at night is probably the stupidest thing a town can do. Lynching leads to discussion, which leads to more lynching. It's a cycle that is favorable to town, because the only real power that the Town collectively holds is the ability to lynch. It is something that must be used often, not saved for special occasions. If you think someone is mafia, then LYNCH THEM!

Florida

イーグランツ
I think what jungle is trying to put out there is that you're voting for people without a solid amount of support. It's Day 1, and there are some new people that are playing here that will make mistakes. Marshy said that he voted for me after your post because he was already suspicious and just assumed that your post said what he already thought about (or at least I think that's what he said lol).

I, myself, find it a little iffy how you jump from person to person with votes. I think you should just keep it cool on Day 1 and wait for more stuff to happen before trying to push for the lynch on someone.

Florida

イーグランツ
Yeah, but they were real votes meant to push for a lynch, and not jokes at all. What's more to it is that when people disagreed with your evidence towards me, you jumped off of my case and joined along with them in voting for Marshy bandwagon-like.

Like I said, I've only voted twice
...ease down a bit, egruntz.
And, wow, should you be getting that defensive about this? That only makes me feel all the more uneasy about you. We're only raising discussion here; nothing to get itchy about.

Florida

イーグランツ
What? Is there truly a way that you can play this game badly? I'm only stating my opinion, which is what you have also been doing this entire time. Is there a reason that you're so after me? lol

Florida

イーグランツ
...like what? Please quote for me what isn't true about what I've been saying.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
egruntz said:
you jumped off of my case and joined along with them in voting for Marshy bandwagon-like.
The only person on Marshy besides me is mentosman. I never joined any bandwagon, I simply voted of my own accord. Marshy made a scummy vote, so I voted for him. I don't know why you keep pressing that point, it's pretty **** obvious why I voted for him, and it's not to "follow a bandwagon". I think you're just repeating what other people are saying about me because you have no real clue what's going on and you want to seem useful.

And I don't know why you took my comment that you should ease down as me being defensive, I'm simply trying to help you. Right now you're really just making a fool out of yourself, pushing points that don't exist and using twisted logic in order to substantiate them.

Florida

イーグランツ
I would agree with an egruntz lynch to some extent, but I REALLY don't like the sound of that post by Marshy.
I agree Marshy's bandwagon was incredibly scummy, but I'm focused on egruntz for now @.@
Stingers, I don't see why you're focused on egruntz right now. One of your reasons for that vote is complete crap(countervoting in the joke vote phase is most certainly NOT a scummy behavior, in fact it is quite common as they're, ya (know, jokes) etc etc etc etc
I think you're right. marshy made a very scummy vote lol. you don't bandwagon like that.

Unvote
Vote: Marshy
...Hmmm...

I never said that you joined in on a bandwagon, I just said it's a little iffy how you jumped votes bandwagon-like when there was an argument on your vote for me. There is a difference. I'm not repeating what people have said, I'm voicing my own opinion in my own words. If what I'm saying is similar to what others are, then that's good--all that means is that I have some truth in what I'm saying.

And, really, I don't care if I make a fool of myself (which, by the way, I don't feel that I am). I'm just going to play the game the best way I know how lol: by saying what I think. I'm sure that you're a more experienced player than I am, but I really don't like how you're getting so worked up over a small call-out that I made of you. So...

Vote: Stinger135
(by the way Tom, your last vote count said I already had a vote on stingers, but that's not right. the last vote I made was an unvote after a vote for no lynch... so...)

Florida

イーグランツ
Yep, I guess I sort of just contradicted myself on what I said before...
I think you should just keep it cool on Day 1 and wait for more stuff to happen before trying to push for the lynch on someone.
...but I have an actual reason to vote for someone now. Whatever. lol

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
personally i don't find stingers suspicious. in retrospect my post was suspicious and i think his vote was justified. plus i've agreed with a lot of what he's said. i think most people are being way too sensitive about throwing out votes on people who you think are suspicious. how is doing that a bad thing at all? you know what people have been thinking and that's something to work with. in fact i think town would have a much easier time if they voted who they thought was suspicious more often. it's easier to make judgments on people and gets discussion flowing. at the moment i feel him, egruntz and mentos all mean well

and mentos and stingers are free to respond to this themselves, but i think there's some miscommunication? i don't think him and mentos were rallying for everyone to lynch me immediately in case anyone thinks that's the case. they think i'm the most suspicious person because of that and they'll change their vote if something more damning pops up i imagine. i bring this up because i don't think stingers is nearly as suspicious as chaco, egruntz, and jungle seem to and think the way stingers has been playing is something that should be encouraged instead of discouraged. that is, being active and voicing your suspicions

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'm not repeating what people have said, I'm voicing my own opinion in my own words. If what I'm saying is similar to what others are, then that's good--all that means is that I have some truth in what I'm saying.
This kinda stood out to me. Being somewhat in the crowd doesn't make you anymore right or make a statement truth. 3 mafia members can all accuse someone, and then a town can agree, but it doesn't make it true (or vice versa). Being with the crowd isn't always a good thing. If you see something different, say it. You might call out a mafia. If you die, what you said might have more weight.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I don't think stingers is suspicious. It's just behavior that's noticeable. If you start changing your vote so often then you start to look suspicious.

Though I don't disagree with notion that people should vote for someone they feel are suspicious, I am against people voting without stating their reasoning behind it, and saying "i agree with what x said" doesn't count. They should tell us WHY they agree with what they said.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay after reading, there isn't enough backing on anyone atm. I think that Stingers is just used to his other style mafia, as has been stated, and is playing that style here.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
KevinM, Rockin, Yaya have been prodded for activity.

Vote Count
(2) Marshy: mentosman8, stingers135
(1) Handorin: junglefever
(1) stingers135: egruntz
(1) smashman90: Handorin
(1) Rockin: KevinM

(5) not voting: smashman90, Rockin, Chaco, Yaya, Marshy

It takes 6 votes out of 11 to lynch.
The deadline has been set for Midnight EST of the 14th of July.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, so here I go with my thoughts on the couple pages I missed while at work...

First of all, my suspicion of Marshy has been quelled a bit since he explained himself. The vote itself wasn't that scummy, but the lack of explanation of any sort shot flares. With his later explanation of himself, and more thought out posts, I'm going to Unvote.

Now, on to other matters.

Not as hesitant to lynch in other words.
Chaco, this has been said, but his lesser reluctance to voting can easily stem from his experience in AIM based mafia. I know there's a blatant difference in play between real-time mafia games and forum based games, so I won't hold it against him unless it becomes something major.

I'm using the "I'm a newb 'card'," because I'm a newb. I've only played in Eor's Hellhouse, this, and one game which is still running at Mafiascum. It's a genuine john...if there is such a thing.
I really don't like these posts. egruntz seems to REALLY be pushing the fact that he's a newb. In fact, it seems that that is the strongest attempt at a defense he has made. Being a newb isn't a defense, and shouldn't be repeatedly stated as one. Just because you're a newb doesn't mean you waive the need to defend yourself with your thought processes and logic.

So stinger, you are saying it's okay to vote on little or no evidence? Your playstyle seems to be suggesting that. Yes, you have to vote to win. But misvote, we mislynch, and we lose. Bandwagon votes are dangerous. Not saying you jumped on the bandwagon, but an indy and the two mafia jump on that bandwagon and we have ourselves a lynch (or very close to one).
Jungle raises a good point here. In a game this small, if we have a serial killer, the votes can be swayed severely by those who aren't town. Just remember, if we do have an indy role in this game, two misplaced townies voting means the non-town roles can cause a lynch starting tomorrow. Not as big an issue today, but moving forward be careful about mounting votes up on someone, as it doesn't take much to lynch.

What do you mean little or no evidence? It's Day 1. It's impossible for any power role to have gained any information yet (besides silly roles like Day Cop) and you need to act based on your own instincts. As far as I'm concerned, Marshy just buying into my reasoning with absolutely no explanation was a stupidly scummy thing to do. There is no excuse for Marshy blindly following me like that when, as you say, I have no proof. If he had posted some of his own reasoning as well, I would've been a lot more accepting of it.

You can't be afraid to vote assuming that the person you're voting might be Town because then you will never get anywhere and the game will really only be played at night. Playing a game only at night is probably the stupidest thing a town can do. Lynching leads to discussion, which leads to more lynching. It's a cycle that is favorable to town, because the only real power that the Town collectively holds is the ability to lynch. It is something that must be used often, not saved for special occasions. If you think someone is mafia, then LYNCH THEM!
I flat out don't like this post. It embodies the common misconception that day one is just a completely random lynch because "omg prs have no info how are we supposed to have evidence for lynches!?!?" Also, Marshy has since explained his vote, and his reasoning given was solid enough. And as for the second paragraph, a townie should ALWAYS be afraid to vote assuming their target is town. Yes, lynching leads to discussion, but mislynching steps closer to a mafia victory. If you don't have strong reasoning and a good lynch choice, those are the kind of situations when a no lynch is more beneficial.

The only person on Marshy besides me is mentosman. I never joined any bandwagon, I simply voted of my own accord. Marshy made a scummy vote, so I voted for him. I don't know why you keep pressing that point, it's pretty **** obvious why I voted for him, and it's not to "follow a bandwagon". I think you're just repeating what other people are saying about me because you have no real clue what's going on and you want to seem useful.
egruntz has a point on you here though stingers. After I argued your vote on him, you quite easily switched to Marshy. More importantly, you did so with a vote that was pretty much as much of a bandwagon, and nearly as unexplained as the one you were voting Marshy over. Long story short, you say it's obvious why you voted for him, but when you voted you didn't explain it at all, doing the same thing you were essentially joining with me to call Marshy out on.

personally i don't find stingers suspicious. in retrospect my post was suspicious and i think his vote was justified. plus i've agreed with a lot of what he's said. i think most people are being way too sensitive about throwing out votes on people who you think are suspicious. how is doing that a bad thing at all? you know what people have been thinking and that's something to work with. in fact i think town would have a much easier time if they voted who they thought was suspicious more often. it's easier to make judgments on people and gets discussion flowing. at the moment i feel him, egruntz and mentos all mean well

and mentos and stingers are free to respond to this themselves, but i think there's some miscommunication? i don't think him and mentos were rallying for everyone to lynch me immediately in case anyone thinks that's the case. they think i'm the most suspicious person because of that and they'll change their vote if something more damning pops up i imagine. i bring this up because i don't think stingers is nearly as suspicious as chaco, egruntz, and jungle seem to and think the way stingers has been playing is something that should be encouraged instead of discouraged. that is, being active and voicing your suspicions
First of all, Marshy, use some capitalization please, kinda hard to read:p Anyway, to the first part of this post, I do agree that it helps when people vote their suspicion, but did you not notice that stingers did the SAME thing I was calling you out on when he voted you? I don't necessarily think he's mafia, but the fact that I call you out for voting with no explanation, and he does nearly the same thing to you definitely raises some suspicion.

To the second part, you're exactly right Marshy. I didn't even expect a second vote, I was just voting you to pressure you to start posting, then to give some substance to your posts. There's nothing that's been done yet that would make me inclined to push a lynch on you, I just wanted to get you posting your thoughts up since the one time I've played a game with you where you didn't, you turned out to be Voldemort, and I'm not going to let you coast along like that again, since the only reason I didn't care then was that I knew I could win with either side and didn't want the game to end before I did^.^

This kinda stood out to me. Being somewhat in the crowd doesn't make you anymore right or make a statement truth. 3 mafia members can all accuse someone, and then a town can agree, but it doesn't make it true (or vice versa). Being with the crowd isn't always a good thing. If you see something different, say it. You might call out a mafia. If you die, what you said might have more weight.
This is true. If you agree with something, state it so we know where you stand, but always be looking for something new. Being in the majority doesn't mean you're right, if it did there would be no such thing as a mislynch.

Ok, now that my wall of quotes is done, a couple things.

@Marshy: You've told us stingers doesn't jump out at you, is there anyone who does? Who DO you suspect right now, and why?(The second part of this question applies to everyone really, but Marshy has yet to point out any suspicions so I chose to direct the comment at him.)

@Chaco: Ok, so you don't think there's enough backing to lynch anyone yet, is there anything that even slightly causes question to you? Just because there's not enough backing to lynch someone doesn't mean there's nothing worth posting... Let's hear your thoughts!

@egruntz: Nice to see you posting your thoughts a bit more, but I want to ask, is the fact that you're a newb your best defense against the accusations on you?

@Kev, Rockin, Yaya: Get yourselves in here and give us some thoughts! Cutting some slack for 4th of July weekend, but let's hear what you've got to say, I'm interested in all 3 of your opinions.

That's all I've got right now, I'm sure I'll have something more to say when more discussion comes:)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
@Stingers: Since you seem so wildly sure of yourself and your ability to put down Egruntz for his play, where do you think we should look next?

Florida

イーグランツ
@mentos I'm not saying that I'm a newb to defend myself from any accusations, I'm just saying it to warn you guys about possible crappy Mafia-playing. Besides that I haven't brought it up unless asked about. "egruntz, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you in other mafia games besides Eor's hellhouse?" ~ smashman. "it seems to me like egruntz is using the "newb" card too much" ~ someone lol.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
owowowowowowowowow! I've been prodded by Tom! *rubs **** My *** hurt...T_T

Alright, time I speak my opinon

First of all, I'm not really feeling much for Egrunt's defense. Like several has said, he's using the 'I'm a newb' card, which is never good to use in a Mafia game, even if you rarely play or not. If you're truely a newb, you'd just play it off casually and any mistakes you do or misunderstanding whatsoever. However, using the said newb card is, as smashman said, trying to make us say 'lol kay' and just leave you be. That won't save your *** from a lynch. Not even a 'I fail' card

Also, I don't much agree with the mindset Stringers has, as well as the attitude play he gave to egrunts. First of all, voting is important. It can save town. Or crush town. a mislynch is a bad thing, and from the sound of his attitude, he doesn't seem to care if town gets screwed off or not (at least, that's what I'm seeing). I think I know why he's acting like this though.

He's not taking it seriously.

Upon the thread where people go line up for a Mafia game, he said to have played a 'Were-wolf' Mafia game. In that game, Peasants are considered town and werewolves are the mafia. Basically, from game experiance in another were-wolf game in a website, the people acts differently. The game that I was in, there wasn't a lot of research. Everyone could IM everyone, so it all came down to who you could trust (so yeah, it made lying easier). The main point I noticed is that no one did massive amount of research. Several was suprised upon me looking up dead games as well as me trying to find the potiential pattern of Mafias (seriously, some of the guys were unoriginal). Basically, everyone was casual, and they were more concern about having fun then reading paragraphs and whatnot (Keep in mind, I make several paragraphs. 3 at least) and they get irritated and soon lynch me even though I roleclaimed and proved my innocence (by roleclaiming and not getting a CC).

The main point I'm getting at is the playstyle. While they go for a few random lynches here and there (oh yeah, there are bandwagons in there), we however try to use reason upon our said victims. Think of us as the 'hardcore gamers' and people like stringers the 'casual gamers.' We take our ****z seriously and do as much research as needed. He does it for the fun and just randomly say stuff with little to no weight.

The type of playstyle he plays is really bad, as he could easily be manipulated to mislynching. He'd bascially be a katherik_King (who I nickname 'crackers' ). Right now, I dunno if he's either town, Mafia, or independet, but if he doesn't change up, he's gonna cost town.

so stringers, why don't you put effort into your suspicious people? Don't you know your vote and words hold better worth if you actually explain your reasons besides 'Just cause!' ?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
KevinM, I don't think your uh...plan was that great there @.@

I'm staying on Marshy for now, since the rest of Town is too afraid to lynch anyone it seems like we're just gonna have to wait a few days until night.

Edit: Wtf are you talking about Rockin? I don't even know what a Werewolf mafia game is. I don't know where you got that from.

And I did explain my reasoning for voting Marshy. Many, many times now. Please read instead of repeating what people have said before you, it just makes you look like a tool.

Top Bottom