• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Tier? Um Doubtful

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
My friend told me today that Zelda was one of the best characters in the game, because of her recovery alone. This made me laugh inside. xD Zelda is, in my opinion, not top tier. Maybe mid tier, but nowhere near the top. (It could have been I made him angry from beating him a few times with welltimed and well placed up-b's.)

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
My friend told me today that Zelda was one of the best characters in the game, because of her recovery alone. This made me laugh inside. xD Zelda is, in my opinion, top tier. Maybe mid tier, but nowhere near the top. (It could have been I made him angry from beating him a few times with welltimed and well placed up-b's.)
She's top tier, but she's not top tier? Your opinion...

I doubt this merits its own thread, but yeah, Zelda definetly isn't top tier. Her recovery (in THIS version of Smash) alone is amazing because she can't be trapped very easily, and she has great footsies and her RC pivot grab. I'm thinking mid tier.

S: Greninja, Sheik, Rosalina

A: Peach

B: Zelda

C

F:

Those are just my opinions, though.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I'd put her at low tier.
I can understand people putting her at mid tier but I can also understand those putting her in bottom tier.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
she seems lower-middle tier to me. Actually...Upper-bottom. She'd definitely not high-tier though She's a solid D+. 437

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I think zelda is good enough to be in the very middle of mid tier and at the very least low mid. Probably now she's low mid without the c-stick.

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
She's top tier, but she's not top tier? Your opinion...
XD I didn't even notice that, thank you. I edited it.

I definitely see her as more mid-tier, than low-tier or high-tier. She not the best, but nothing to skulk at either

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Whenever I think of top tier Zelda, I think of her in a Mecha Hitler-ish suit wrecking ****:

ooglefart

Smash Rookie
Zelda is strong ok. Her kick. That's it. That's all I do and I win games. It has like no lag after using it and does more knockback than the falcon knee, and is faster. gg scrubs. l2getgood.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Zelda is strong ok. Her kick. That's it. That's all I do and I win games. It has like no lag after using it and does more knockback than the falcon knee, and is faster. gg scrubs. l2getgood.
yeah, it has no lag at all, except the very long ending lag after using it which seems two times longer than brawl (nerf) and the very punishable landing lag

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
She seems mid tier to me. However, she's an excellent pocket character to destroy certain matchups, especially if they don't have zelda experience.

If down throw up b is guaranteed i'd seroiusly consider a potential at high tier since that thing kills so early and it's so easy to grab with zelda. That's a big if though. Not convinced it's a guaranteed combo.

Last edited:

ooglefart

Smash Rookie
yeah, it has no lag at all, except the very long ending lag after using it which seems two times longer than brawl (nerf) and the very punishable landing lag
completely untrue. If you hit with it, there's never any lag.

Mr.CreamCakes

Smash Cadet
imo shes either low high-tier or mid tier. look at all the buffs she got and also she has a bunch of good match ups, new ATs, and combos. Even pro players think that shes high tier and nairo is definitely proven it. I don't think u guys should lose that much faith in her

Nairo

Banned via Administration
ATM i think she is top half of mid or barely high for now it can obviously change but i cant see her being worse than mid tier I JUST CANT

Earthfox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-4353-1036
I personally think Zelda is somewhere between mid and lower top tier or maybe C+/B- for the 3ds version however I believe that she can become greater in the wii u version. (i may also be slightly bias)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zelda is a bit too easily shut down still to even be a mid tier contender, imo. More than a few matchups are just headache inducing for her.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
She's not bottom, but I'm not sure about mid. She has plenty of merits however she still has some massive issues that leave gaps in her game.

Biggest issue I can see with Zelda is she is still easily juggled and destroyed in the air. Her air game is low priority, situational, and you have to commit to using them or use her aerials as a punish. Also her aerials for whatever idiotic ("balancing?") reason have horrible landing lag to add salt to the wound. The way the programmers gave certain aerials landing lag while other great aerials on other characters get a free pass with little to no risk (looking at you, Yoshi, Sheik...) or lag baffles me. Now back to Zelda....

She has no safe or even decent approaches and as soon as she loses a lead vs a smart opponent or finds herself out camped, she's going to have to approach and fight an uphill battle with the advantage well secured in her opponent's side.

Her f-tilt- a very important tool to poke, space, even kill has a dead zone if the opponent is too close.

Opponents still fall out of her smashes at times.

Why the Bloody Heck does she go into a helpless state after Din's fire?

If you can keep her grounded and control the pace of the match (in other words, make your opponent approach you, mess up, maintain the % lead etc) Zelda is actually pretty good at what she does. Very good footsie character that can shut down unprepared players or players with bad fundamentals quickly, but at high levels she's going to have to work hard and make less mistakes than upper tier characters.

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I think that if F-Smash connected reliably (Which could be fixed really easily) and if you could charge and store the phantom, I could see Zelda maybe making it up to Mid tier and staying there. As of now, at best, I'd put her in the lower end of mid.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I think Zelda is low. As much as she may have buffed and whatever solid tools she may have, I think she still gets held back by a lot of her fundamental weaknesses. A tier list is relative doesn't seem to do well when compared to the rest of the cast. Take a look at her match-ups with characters who are considered top tier like :4zss: :4sheik: :4yoshi: :4lucario: :rosalina: :4diddy: :4sonic: :4greninja:. Imo she gets wrecked by every single one of these characters. And then we're still not talking about other solid characters like :4littlemac: :4peach: :4villager: :4fox: who don't seem like very even match-ups either. Zelda is somewhat underwhelming relatively, which will probably put her in the lower ranks of the list. I would love to be proven wrong, however. I would very much like to see a strong version of Zelda.

Mr.CreamCakes

Smash Cadet
Maybe were just playing zelda wrong. I don't think she has to be defensive in this game. Nairos zelda is kinda offensive and she has a bunch of good match ups. I'm pretty sure she's at least midtier

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Lots of optimism here.

SSB4's Zelda is her greatest iteration, yes. But I can't help but think we're having a repeat of Brawl here. She seems to be somewhat viable, but then falls off entirely after a few months.

The one reason Zelda is doing well right now is because her entire strategy relies on heavy punishment. Credit to Nairo for his fantastic showing, yes. Give it some time, when people learn not to make mistakes, and we'll see her slide to bottom once again.

I don't have much reason to believe that she'll get out of F-tier in the long-run, among the very worst characters. I so hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
There is a fine line between optimism and pessimism, I feel, not just in the Zelda boards, but character boards in general. We can't be so blindly confident with how 'good' Zelda is, that we fail to see her faults, and then inevitably get punished for them in time.

Likewise, we can't be so blindly negative that we only see the 'bad' in her, and ignore any perks she may/will have. Not to mention, the negativity discourages new players from picking her up, or even some of the old Zelda mains from continuing to use her. There's nothing wrong with complaining about Zelda - we can all wallow in our sorrow with each other together. But it's when people take it to the level of shutting out other players entirely, that it makes the community die.

Even with the game being out for awhile, it's still too early too tell where she'll go from here. I have a personal dissatisfaction with using Zelda on the 3DS, so I don't want to judge until the Wii U version is out, and we have a Gamecube controller in our hands. I know some people have had success with her on the 3DS, or at the very least, they've been pleased with her. This has not been the case for me. I have hope for her in the Wii U, but I don't have expectations. Her moves should be pretty much the same - it'll just be a matter of facilitated inputs.

Tier lists are still too early to tell...

Last edited:

Nairo

She sure isn't top tier but I can see her being at least mid of midtier in a year from now (unless theres no zelda to prove that) also @ M Meru. she doesnt do as bad as you vs those characters listed except a few imo but I guess it depends on player vs player SOMETIMES as well so I don't know for sure.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I want to think she isn't in low tier yet. Maybe around a third or more of Zelda's KOs in Brawl are because of her awful recovery forcing her to land on the stage for a free punish. Now that Zelda's recovery is pretty good, Zelda can survive in a game a bit longer that that counts for something.

Captain Zack

NNID
Chibi_Zack
ummmmmm she's probably not like brawl or melee bad, but she's just ok fmpov.

also lol@nairo liking posts that talk about how good he is

Nairo

ummmmmm she's probably not like brawl or melee bad, but she's just ok fmpov.

also lol@nairo liking posts that talk about how good he is
ay I liked one because I agree with zelda being better when she is more offensive than defensive the other one tho..........<3

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Zelda is a bit too easily shut down still to even be a mid tier contender, imo. More than a few matchups are just headache inducing for her.
Who shuts her down again aside from maybe a few super high mobility characters? It's pretty hard to shut down a character that has one of the best recoveries in the game and literally will never get hit by a Smash attack.

In this game which is Super Footsies and Trap Bros for the 3DS, the fact Zelda literally can't be trapped means she automatically can't be a bad character, especially since her normals are generally speaking good. And other characters have headache matchups too besides Zelda.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm legit curious as to what you meant here. Mind expanding on that point?
Basically, it's extremely hard to land a KO move on Zelda if you use Up-B to get out of bad situations correctly. Thus she's a character that should realistically survive pretty long most stocks when almost none of the conventional edgeguard and land trap setups work on her. Most characters are forced to make a hard read in footsies to kill her.

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who shuts her down again aside from maybe a few super high mobility characters? It's pretty hard to shut down a character that has one of the best recoveries in the game and literally will never get hit by a Smash attack.
This is an extremely jaundiced statement and you know it. As for characters who she struggles with that aren't clearly definsed speedsters, look at Kirby or Yoshi. Hitting Kirby as Zelda safely is particularly difficult because of how small he is in addition to his crouch making most of your moves whiff. Good recovery isn't much of a unique trait to Zelda because most Brawl based recoveries are great in general, with Smash4 being no exception. It cannot be ignored that Zelda's recovery is only safe/good for grabbing the edge, and that clearing the edge safely after grabbing it is not as safe as it used to be. There are other recoveries like Rosalina's or Lucario's that will both grab the edge quickly and allow you to clear the stage in a safe position depending on what you need.

In this game which is Super Footsies and Trap Bros for the 3DS, the fact Zelda literally can't be trapped means she automatically can't be a bad character, especially since her normals are generally speaking good. And other characters have headache matchups too besides Zelda.
Zelda's normals are merely okay. Her multihits that aren't Nayru's Love are still plagued with inconsistency issues. Good tier placement means a good matchup spread and fewer "headache" matchups. Of course other characters have them, but they're comparatively better balanced than Zelda to run into fewer of them. Zelda has more than a few polarizing matchups against her, and honestly not enough for her. This becomes evident when you're not tunnel visioning one character and use other characters the game has to offer and notice different levels of overall performance. Even if you insist that "Zelda can do well," if the majority of other characters' tool kits are competitively better off than Zelda, then Zelda will wind up as a low tier by a matter of relativity. That much is an indisputable fact for any character's placement in a tier list.

I used to be a big "princess fan" in Smash Bros. but I got a dose of reality and grew out of that phase. Zelda really didn't change so drastically from Brawl to Smash4 to warrant huge jumps in placement aside from recovery mechanics, which honestly brings up a lot of recoveries that were previously considered poor. That alone isn't enough to make her well off in potential tier placement when she still retains many of the issues that kept her in low/bottom tiers.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is an extremely jaundiced statement and you know it. As for characters who she struggles with that aren't clearly definsed speedsters, look at Kirby or Yoshi. Hitting Kirby as Zelda safely is particularly difficult because of how small he is in addition to his crouch making most of your moves whiff. Good recovery isn't much of a unique trait to Zelda because most Brawl based recoveries are great in general, with Smash4 being no exception. It cannot be ignored that Zelda's recovery is only safe/good for grabbing the edge, and that clearing the edge safely after grabbing it is not as safe as it used to be. There are other recoveries like Rosalina's or Lucario's that will both grab the edge quickly and allow you to clear the stage in a safe position depending on what you need.
wtf, most of the recoveries in this game are honestly not that good. Only about 10 characters or so have seriously good recoveries who are like Sonic, Pikachu, Villager, Greninja, Mr Game and Watch, Peach, Metaknight, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda. Basically everyone else has to play around ledgeguards respectfully. Zelda having one of the best recoveries in the game is a huge asset that can't be denied especially when it lets you get out of traps and edgeguard people.

Zelda's recovery is STRICTLY superior to Rosalina's. I don't even know how you came to a different conclusion when Rosalina literally can be intercepted by any lingering hitbox, and also has to play very carefully around ledge steals. Rosalina gets good distance but like everyone else has to play respectfully against edgeguard attempts. Zelda gets like similar distance as Rosalina does on Up-B except you reach the ground sooner when recovering from the ledge, making Zelda one of the hardest characters in the game to ledge trap period.

Lucario's recovery? Okay, he gets a good one post Aura buffs, not going to argue that.

As for Kirby, he can crouch, but I don't think he's winning a D-tilt war against Zelda, and he has to play respectfully against pivot grab and Dash Attack which can check a lot of his stuff in the air, and Zelda has a much easier time edgeguarding him than the other way around. Not sure why you specifically think Zelda has trouble with him. As for Yoshi, you might know better than me, but I'm pretty certain not only does he not actually have good normals for directly challenging several of Zelda's attacks (he's not a very disjointed character in general), he has to play respectfully around Naryus and Phantom unless I missed something, and most of his aerial attacks aren't that good fullhopped, so I'm not totally seeing how that's a particularly bad matchup for Zelda. He's not Peach who has floating. He has to land semi-predictably and his aerials typically are only effective at low altitudes.

Zelda's normals are merely okay. Her multihits that aren't Nayru's Love are still plagued with inconsistency issues. Good tier placement means a good matchup spread and fewer "headache" matchups. Of course other characters have them, but they're comparatively better balanced than Zelda to run into fewer of them. Zelda has more than a few polarizing matchups against her, and honestly not enough for her. This becomes evident when you're not tunnel visioning one character and use other characters the game has to offer and notice different levels of overall performance. Even if you insist that "Zelda can do well," if the majority of other characters' tool kits are competitively better off than Zelda, then Zelda will wind up as a low tier by a matter of relativity. That much is an indisputable fact for any character's placement in a tier list.
relativity? I'm trying to factor what Zelda has compared to other characters, and what bad matchups she probably has. You can be mid tier and have some lame matchups, while being competent in several other relevant ones. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see why Zelda shouldn't do well against Lucario and Rosalina for instance, and I also don't believe Yoshi is as hard for Zelda as you suggested. The primary three that look really hard are Sonic, Little Mac, and Peach who kinda can disrespect Zelda's footsies in obvious ways.

I used to be a big "princess fan" in Smash Bros. but I got a dose of reality and grew out of that phase. Zelda really didn't change so drastically from Brawl to Smash4 to warrant huge jumps in placement aside from recovery mechanics, which honestly brings up a lot of recoveries that were previously considered poor. That alone isn't enough to make her well off in potential tier placement when she still retains many of the issues that kept her in low/bottom tiers.
Realistically, Zelda benefits a huge amount more than most other characters with "poor" recoveries because she actually can edgeguard very well in this game. Not to mention she dodges one of the negative side effects of ledge mechanics very easily, which is ledge trapping, while other characters have to take riskier guesses to get back into neutral.

Most of the cast in this game got nerfed, while Zelda in most ways is strictly a buffed character and actually got tools that redefine her gameplan and options (viable grab, actually is now a very difficult character to edgeguard and trap while in Brawl this wasn't quite the case, able to chase landings much better in this game). I'm pretty sure she has easier matchup spreads than close to half the cast of the game, though I guess we'll have to see later.

I don't even consider myself a big Zelda fan, and I've been trying to look up every character in this game. Just when you consider what the whole game is about, Zelda fits the metagame really well and doesn't have to put up with a lot of nonsense that would normally drive a lot of characters insane. Okay she has trouble against really fast characters and fullhop spacing? A lot of characters do, but not everyone gets out of traps easily or can threaten landings to the same extent Zelda can, and having a reflector on top of that is really nice in a game where a lot of the best characters are able to projectile zone in some way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom