• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Players & Videos by Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
@ Jarbinks9/11 Jarbinks9/11 , is your smash tag the same as your smashboards username? I'm just curious because I don't think I've ever seen you at a texas tournament.
I use a different tag each tourney because im not boring. And if you havent seen me its because after swiping my first game off of some defenseless pm weiner like oracle i realize that im just too good for my own region so i leave and let the ants play

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well that was annoying.

Do we really need this topic? "My friend is better than your friend" arguments can only be so fun to watch.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Guys... please stop feeding the troll.

@ KayB KayB - Looking through the OP, can you delete all videos before 3.0? If the only footage that people have are from pre-3.0, then IMHO they've been too inactive to be considered for that character. If people (or their fans/supporters) care about being in the "Top 3" for a certain character, then they'll post newer content.
I generally had pre 3.0 footage just so people could see how characters played in previous versions. It's not really there to support the placings but there for those who are curious. But if you guys think it clutters it up too much, I'll do some Spring Cleaning.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
top player thread should be salty as hell, for it shows only top players and thus people having beef is inevitable and it ends in money matches. that is how america does competitiveness in fighting games, you want to be the best and so you toss money down to be the best

to that end, though, meaningless no-name scrubs don't count. more eli vs. the world, then maybe we're back in business

Last edited:

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I actually care about is that he wants to MM. I'll MM your Mario with every other character in the game, just go to SKTAR.
It should be easy for you since I can't win with the characters that actually take skill, like fox and melee texture fox.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The only thing I actually care about is that he wants to MM. I'll MM your Mario with every other character in the game, just go to SKTAR.
It should be easy for you since I can't win with the characters that actually take skill, like fox and melee texture fox.
He's a troll, you are basically asking air to money match. You shouldn't care at all just ignore him.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
I think the thread has a good amount of value as long as people stop arguing with the same troll. like the guy had 9/11 in his account name, so obvious. it's probably the same guy who gets banned twice a week since he called out Oracle and texas like he always does. He calls Eli, Oracle and others bad, challenges them to MMs and then gets banned and comes back later with a new account. Please everyone level up your troll detecting.

anyway, SKTAR is coming up in a few weeks and there's gonna be a lot of discussion popping up from that event. A lot of people are already on the list, but I'm going to be watching for Ken, who is signed up for PM singles/doubles and probably plays Marth, KDJ to see if he sticks with Zelda or Mewtwo more often, DJ Nintendo on Ike who I really think is going to make waves, and some sort of settling of some of the Diddy debate (I hope? IDK how many Diddys are going). In addition to that, there are some characters who don't even have slots filled (Yoshi, Jiggs) and some who haven't seen much update in awhile.

Also whenever Chibo gets VoDs up I think Strawhat should take the top Falcon spot, he had an impressive showing at WHOBO and Hax got styled on really hard at Bar Wars and I don't even think he played Falcon.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Well that was entertaining.

Real talk, having only met Gallo at Apex and watched him play others, I was super impressed at how far he went and how tough his bracket was. Didn't realize the dude was that good.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
He's a troll, you are basically asking air to money match. You shouldn't care at all just ignore him.
Air is so free in this game. $50 MM

Also whenever Chibo gets VoDs up I think Strawhat should take the top Falcon spot, he had an impressive showing at WHOBO and Hax got styled on really hard at Bar Wars and I don't even think he played Falcon.
Strawhat is too baller. Definitely numero uno.

Last edited:

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
@ KayB KayB have you ever heard of the Charizard player Ikuzen? I played this guy the other day and he is the most aggressive player I have ever faced in my life (Yes more aggressive than HyperFlame). I was not used to a charizard just rushing in and destroying me, it was awesome. This guy is pretty crazy, and apparently he is one of the top players in France. I think he is better than all of the charizards on the list right now, if you have netplay you can go on and request games with him.

Here is a set where Ikuzen is against Mr. R (And Mr. R. is easily the best Lucario on the entire irc, he is just a really good player in general.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1Una5qemw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPoF-BAwvPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ajlDnCvoA

Watch all 3 of those matches and i think you will kind of get what i am talking about. From what I've seen i think he is the best Charizard for right now.

And another thing you should consider for best players is what technology and creativity they are bringing to the table, and how much they are advancing the meta-game. Because i see Ikuzen doing some new stuff

EDIT: Ok so Mr. R might not be the best Lucario on the irc because I just remembered that Vanguard plays netplay, and is also in the vgbc netplay league lol. But that doesn't mean Mr. R isn't good, he's still a beast

Last edited:

Meechman400

Smash Cadet
Netplay holds about as much credibility as Nintendo WiFi, and shouldn't be considered for this list in my opinion.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Netplay holds about as much credibility as Nintendo WiFi, and shouldn't be considered for this list in my opinion.
Netplay is leagues more stable than Nintendo Wi-Fi considering your the right distance. And seeing those videos gives me a gut feeling that the connection is pretty solid. Of course, real matches take precedence, but just thought I'd mention that.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't think netplay should count twoards anything. I tried it and hated it despite people telling me it was ok. Could not play anywhere near how I actually play the game, lag changes the way certain interactions that are important in normal play work and shouldn't really be considered.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
So like, when people like DLA, Squeek, and TKbreezy go on net play and get beaten, those wins don't mean anything because it is on Netplay? And when people like Ken, Anther, Lunchables, and Trah play on net play it holds no weight either? Earlier in this thread I saw you say that Brandondorf was one of the best Ganondorfs right now, but I actually got pretty damn close to beating him irl. Yea I still lost, but I've fought better Ganons over netplay, Netplay is kinda like its own region now, a few frames of lag does not invalidate skill level

Meechman400

Smash Cadet
I play Netplay a lot, so this isn't a biased opinion. It's more consistent than WiFi, but it's still nothing compared to offline. There are also other factors like buffer that come into play on Netplay, so I think if you're gonna rate people and look at their accomplishments it should be on an even playing field (Offline).

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So like, when people like DLA, Squeek, and TKbreezy go on net play and get beaten, those wins don't mean anything because it is on Netplay? And when people like Ken, Anther, Lunchables, and Trah play on net play it holds no weight either? Earlier in this thread I saw you say that Brandondorf was one of the best Ganondorfs right now, but I actually got pretty damn close to beating him irl. Yea I still lost, but I've fought better Ganons over netplay, Netplay is kinda like its own region now, a few frames of lag does not invalidate skill level
Ganon is also a much better character with lag than he is without it as not reacting to one of his normally easily reactable moves hurts a lot more than other characters. Factors like that as well as many others invalidate skill almost entirely online. You can be good online but that does not mean you will be good offline and vise-versa. I personally am horrible online and lose to players I have 3-4 stocked IRL, the disparity is huge.

Last edited:

Meechman400

Smash Cadet
No. Beating people in friendlies on Netplay doesn't hold any weight, and neither does almost beating Brandondorf in a friendly (or in tourney for that matter). I've beaten Lunchables, Anther, and Trahh on Netplay multiple times. If I wanted to I could record vids and post them, but I just don't feel like those wins mean anything, sorry.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
I play Netplay a lot, so this isn't a biased opinion. It's more consistent than WiFi, but it's still nothing compared to offline. There's are also other factors like buffer that come into play on Netplay, so I think if you're gonna rate people and look at their accomplishments it should be on an even playing field (Offline).
Yea Ikuzen plays Irl but sadly I couldn't find any footage :( The netplay one was the only one i could find. I will definitely ask him to get some irl matches recorded.

And me and you have played a few matches over net play as well
Ahem* Vader

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
You guys are right someone who gets results only on net play shouldn't be considered, but Ikuzen is an irl player. If there is irl footage of him playing he should be considered.

As for net play matches invalidating skill, to each his own

Last edited:

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of inactivity, anyone have any footage of Arty's Ganon since 3.0?
Can't remember anything specific but he's been at recent Wavedash Wednesdays and played on stream so check the WindyCitySmash twitch archive. I do remember that he took a set off of Kels last week but it was unfortunately not recorded. The poor guy may be on suicide watch atm tho. Ganon is so bad :(

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I you meet the right requirements, netplay is pretty much offline.

Last edited:

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
Accepting netplay matches as evidence of the best players devalues the players who play in person. Playing in person ensures that both players are playing under the same conditions and there is a very minor chance of an outside factor affecting that match (barring the on in a million chance that the power goes out or fire alarm gets pulled or whatever). The state of the game on netplay (lag, slowdown, etc.) cannot be verified by others. There's never absolutely 0 lag on netplay, and there's no way for anyone to really verify how much lag there is except the two people playing. On top of that, it can fluctuate, which is a factor that players cant even fully account for. It does affect both players, but as Hylian points out, some characters or players change depending on how bad lag gets.

Is Ikuzen a good player? I'm sure he is, I'm watching the videos and I'm seeing some cool stuff I haven't seen before, he has good awareness and would probably do really well in person. At the very least, he's a charizard player that people should look out for if/when he competes. Maybe he is the best Charizard! But it isn't fair to the list or any other players to take netplay videos as proof that he's the best. Online warriors can go on to become great players, the SF4 scene has many notable players who were online-only until they took the big step and now they compete in person and perform well. We'll just wait until that time.

Also, I disagree with the fact that the players who discover the most tech should be in contention for the top players list. Tech is nice, and it shows that someone is theorizing about the character and can be creative, but it does not make someone the best. Desk is probably the most mechanically-gifted SF4 player and theorycrafter ever, he comes out with videos every week of infinites, game glitches, hundred-hits of combos, but he does it alone and he sure doesn't compete at a top level. So if Ikuzen has 1000 Charizard techniques, more power to him, he can go ahead and use those in tournament, and if they get him wins then great, but just having/discovering tech doesn't make someone the best player

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Oh I'm not saying Netplay should take precedence over normal matches, but I just don't think it's fair to be treated the same way as Wi-Fi considering if the conditions are met, the connection can be flawless. Of course they should always be taken with a grain of salt and ultimately I wouldn't put anyone on the list simply for netplay, but it does give some interesting footage.

Speaking of Charizard, has anybody heard anything from Yomi?

Last edited:

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
I recently took first at a local if that counts for anything.

At the tourny before that I beat gravy in bracket, then he brought it back in GF to beat me into 2nd place.

Last edited:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
top player thread should be salty as hell, for it shows only top players and thus people having beef is inevitable and it ends in money matches. that is how america does competitiveness in fighting games, you want to be the best and so you toss money down to be the best

to that end, though, meaningless no-name scrubs don't count. more eli vs. the world, then maybe we're back in business
More Silent Wolf vs Chillindude in my opinion.

Before recently I would have said Silent Wolf. Now I'm not so sure.

rikochet

Smash Cadet
@ Paradoxium Paradoxium The only players ive seen with some good charizard play these past couple of weeks is Metroid in like one game during a set and John Numbers who recently beat Rolex in a snake vs Zard.

D

Deleted member

No. Beating people in friendlies on Netplay doesn't hold any weight, and neither does almost beating Brandondorf in a friendly (or in tourney for that matter). I've beaten Lunchables, Anther, and Trahh on Netplay multiple times. If I wanted to I could record vids and post them, but I just don't feel like those wins mean anything, sorry.
Yeah actually I kind of have to step in here and agree with this
The worst annoyance EVER is when someone **** talks you about them beating you in a friendly. Doesn't even matter if its wifi/netplay, people who take pride in friendlies in general are so aggravating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom