• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 10 Most Wanted Newcomers for Smash Switch!

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
I'll give it a shot:

1) Doom Slayer
I mean, with Doom being such a big point in gaming history, it would make sense! And for those who say that he'd be too violent and gory, they could use the blood effects of the old Doom games to be within boundaries.

2) Buzzwole
This titanic Ultra Beast is just as powerful as he is popular. He could be unique in the sense that he could drain energy from his foes to increase his attack power! He'd be perfect!

3) Decidueye
With him being in Pokken DX and the first in his evolutionary line being the most popular Alola Pokemon, Decidueye's chances are pretty high.

4) Spring Man
ARMS was an amazing game, and although a lot of people would prefer Ribbon Girl, Spring Man alone has more unique properties than Ribbon Girl (I mean, multiple jumps were given to Pit/too, all Kirby reps, Jigglypuff and Charizard), which include his perma-charged ARMS at low health (or high damage in this case), and a deflect wave.

5) Elma
I've only seen gameplay of Xenoblade X, but I think Elma would be perfect for this game for her ability to change between short swords and pistols! Not to mention, her Skell would be a perfect Final Smash.

6) Rex and Pyra/Mythra
Xenoblade 2 was fun as hell for me, and I believe the Driver of the Aegis would be pretty unique himself, he'd be nowhere near similar to Shulk! Also, I believe that for Rex, they could give him a mechanic that I won't spoil for those who haven't gone that far into the story. (Those who don't know would feel it's all Greek for them, but those who did probably took their breath away and would put the spirit of the character!)

7) Labo
Nintendo Labo looks to be in development since just a few weeks after Smash Bros 4 DLC was fully released, and tbh, Labo would be a perfect WTF character. Maybe he could be a cardboard recreation of the robot who'd use other Toy-Cons in his moveset, or it could be the Laboman that's popular on Twitter right now.

8) Bandana Waddle Dee
With Kirby Star Allies having Bandana Dee, as well as Waddle Dee being the most iconic Kirby enemy, this little guy has quite the following. I remember playing as this guy in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, and he seems like an extremely fun character to implement into Smash Bros.

9) Ridley
The space dragon of the Metroid franchise has been chopped liver in the Smash Bros. franchise, but until recently, I've gained more hope for this monster than I had before. I'm very confident that this guy would be in Smash, and he has potential to be unique. I saw one concept that really caught my attention. This Ridley concept gave him three stances: a quadrupedal stance which gives him a crouch, faster movement speed and the smallest size but less attack speed and attack power, a bipedal stance that gives him faster and more powerful attacks but removes his ability to crouch, slightly increases his size and reduces his speed (Both stances would change using the Down B of this moveset), and an aerial stance (Accessed using Up B) that gives him a spread-out in his attacks, high air speed and free movement, but this stance has a time limit, his attacks are less accurate and an enormous size. Honestly, when I saw that, I thought it was raw genius!

10) Takamaru
He was obscure once, but eventually he seems to have gained popularity thanks to his Assist Trophy status in the last game, his game releasing in 3DS Virtual Console and his appearance in Samurai Warriors 3. I feel like Takamaru's chances are quite high here.

Where did you find that concept of Ridley? I like the sound of it!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
1. King K. Rool

2. Dixie Kong

3. Shovel Knight

4. Banjo Kazooie

5. Waluigi

6. Ridley

7. Ganon

8. Pokey Minch

9. Shantae

10. Simon Belmont

slambros

Smash Ace
1. Dillon
As of now, Dillon is my number one choice for a newcomer in smash. I've only played a little bit of Dillon's Rolling Western, but his design and gameplay mechanics just screams potential to me. And with the majority of the last game's newcomers being humanoid characters, I think it's time we got a character like Dillon. Plus, as a cowboy-type of character, he'd offer something aesthetically different from the rest of the cast.

2. Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight is one of my favorite games of all time, and Shovel Knight would make for a great moveset.

3. Skull Kid
I feel like Skull Kid is the potential Zelda newcomer with the most potential to have an idiosyncratic moveset. I believe in the character's potential and I think the 3D remake of Majora's Mask improves his chances.

4. Spring Man
I really like Arms, and I think Arms' equivalent to Ryu should be the one to join the fray.

5. Chibi-Robo
I really like this character a lot. I like the style of his games and I like his moveset potential, and I feel like his inclusion would help Nintendo become more confident in the character's potential.

6. Dixie Kong
Dixie Kong is an all-star character who would offer something different from Donkey and Diddy. She would be an excellent choice for smash.

7. Lyndis
Out of all of the potential Fire Emblem characters Fire Emblem could choose, I feel like Lyn is the one that resonates the most with me. She would be an inspired choice.

8. Bandana Dee
Bandana Dee is gaining relevance by each Kirby franchise entry. His spear would make for a great moveset, so I think he'd be great for Smash.

9. Krystal
For the sake of Star Fox as a whole, I think Krystal should join the roster. She's not to memorable as a character, but her staff would offer a different fighting style, and she would excellently diversify the Star Fox representation.

10. Elma
I have not played a Xenoblade game, but I feel like Xenoblade deserves a second representative, and I feel like it should be Elma. She would offer ethnic diversity to the entire Smash roster, and she would have a great moveset.

:171:

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
1. John Raimi (Geist -- I made a thread for him).
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Bomberman
5. Dillon
6. Altered Beast (also made a thread for this)
7. Kunio & Riki/Alex & Ryan (River City)
8. Simon Belmont
9. Stanley
10. Urban Champion

Subject to change.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think enough time has gone for a decent amount of votes to come in so I'll post the current Top 10 as of this post!

The following ten characters have the most points tallied overall ranking them above all other wanted newcomers in this thread. If your most wanted character isn't here that doesn't mean that their likelihood is any worse than the Top 10 nor does it mean that no one else supports that character either. Also the following list does not in any means dictate how much demand the character has overall within both core and casual Smash communities, only within the Smashboards Speculation community. More accurately, for those who have posted on this thread. :p

Remember this is all in good fun!

10-Captain Toad
35 **

----

9-Shovel Knight
41 *

----

8-Crash Bandicoot
42 ****

----

7-Dixie Kong
43 **

----

6-Isaac
43 ***

----

5-Decidueye

----

4-Waluigi
47 **

----

3-Bandanna Dee
68 *x9

----

2-Ridley
79 *x7

----

1-King K Rool
92 *x13

Reminder, Points are distributed as follows:
Top 10 = 1 point
Top 5 = 2 points
Number 1* = 3 points

Number 1's denoted with *
-ties will be broken by whoever has the most number one picks

Other interesting facts
-Banjo & Kazooie and Bomberman follow closely behind the Top 10 with 32 and 31 points respectively
-Decidueye is the most wanted character without any number one picks, it is also the most wanted Pokemon newcomer
-Impa, Midna, and Skull Kid lead Zelda Newcomers with 19 points each, Midna has the most number one picks with 3 technically making her the most wanted Zelda Newcomer
-Spring Man leads all Arms fighters with 21 points
-Rex (& Pyra/Mythra) lead Xenoblade characters with 26 points
-Lyn leads all Fire Emblem newcomers with 11 points
-Ridley completely dominates anything Metroid related, Dark Samus sits in second with just a measly 6 points sadface

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Wow, Waluigi ranked crazy high. Surprised Banjo is a no show in the top 10 as well.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Wow, Waluigi ranked crazy high. Surprised Banjo is a no show in the top 10 as well.
Waluigi being so high is a bit of a surprise...During the DLC speculation he was just barely in the 20's...

Banjo just missed the Top 10, but barely, he may get a bigger push in the future though cuz he still has a pretty big following...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Very surprised Banjo isn't in the top 10. I guess that an extra generation removed and other characters picking up his collectathon fan base is probably the reason for that. The Ridley want never ceases to amaze me but whatever, that's personal opinion. Also only 2 non-first party representatives surprises me too. I know that this thread has the 'Nintendo appearance' rule but surely there are some more characters with at least 1 cameo on Nintendo that are popular or iconic.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Very surprised Banjo isn't in the top 10. I guess that an extra generation removed and other characters picking up his collectathon fan base is probably the reason for that. The Ridley want never ceases to amaze me but whatever, that's personal opinion. Also only 2 non-first party representatives surprises me too. I know that this thread has the 'Nintendo appearance' rule but surely there are some more characters with at least 1 cameo on Nintendo that are popular or iconic.
Well there's definitely plenty, but not a lot of people actually put them on their lists....Doomguy, Lara Croft, Scorpion, Jill Valentine, etc...

If there's one thing we've learned about additions like Cloud, is that just because they're iconic and popular doesn't mean people will necessarily ask for them usually due to fan rules, and often times these rules will affect how much someone actually wants the character...and sometimes they'll make it in anyways...lol

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Might as well throw my hat in!

10. Ray mk II

9. Waluigi

8. Tails

7. Chibi Robo

6. Simon Belmont

5. Bandana Dee

4. Shantae

3. Rex & Pyra

2. Lyn

1. Geno

Cin726

Smash Cadet
1. King K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Impa
4. Samurai Goroh
5. Waluigi
6. Bomberman
7. Shover Knight
8. Shantae
9. Banjo-Kazooie
10. Tails

Last edited:

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
My personal Top 10 newcomers I want to see in the next instalment of Smash Bros.

10. Rex & Pyra
9. Crash Bandicoot
8. Spring Man
7. Chibi-Robo
6. Lyn
5. King K. Rool
4. Ridley
3. Decidueye
2. Shovel Knight
1. Captain Toad

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Do you mind posting a chart for all character's points? (Edit in the original post for those who want to see it).
Would be nice to see where some characters are at that haven't been mentioned in your "top 10" update.

Or do you think that would affect people's votes? (Though realistically people shouldn't consider other's opinions when forming their own). *Some people may see a character they want in who is close to the top 10 and fudge their votes for them along with other 'bandwagon' effects.

I'm under the impression a few of mine aren't terribly popular, especially my Fire Emblem choices (since my first FE game was Awakening, hence my Avatar). So some such as Lyn and Micaiah, which are other popular ones I've heard, I've never experienced from their games.

Also some niche characters like Quote and Andy I'd be curious roughly how much support they get from this community.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Wow! Nice mid-results! Especially happy to see the King on top!

I am very satisfied with the rest of the top 10 as well! Kool stuff!

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I knew Waluigi had what it took to be in the top 10.

Here's to hoping this continues. More villains for smashbis always fun.

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
1. Princess Daisy (My favorite female character choice).
2. Chrom (My favorite male character choice).
3. Hans/Isaac
4. Celica
5. Rex/Pyra/Mythra
6. Jill Valentine
7. Lightning Farron
8. Lyn
9. Bandana Dee
10. Chibi-Robo

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
10. Rayman
9. Isaac
8. King K Rool
7. Decidueye
6. Andy
5. Karate Joe
4. Spring Man / Ribbon Girl (alt skins, 4 each)
3. Rex + Pyra
2. Mona
1. Excite Biker

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Do you mind posting a chart for all character's points? (Edit in the original post for those who want to see it).
Would be nice to see where some characters are at that haven't been mentioned in your "top 10" update.

Or do you think that would affect people's votes? (Though realistically people shouldn't consider other's opinions when forming their own). *Some people may see a character they want in who is close to the top 10 and fudge their votes for them along with other 'bandwagon' effects.

I'm under the impression a few of mine aren't terribly popular, especially my Fire Emblem choices (since my first FE game was Awakening, hence my Avatar). So some such as Lyn and Micaiah, which are other popular ones I've heard, I've never experienced from their games.

Also some niche characters like Quote and Andy I'd be curious roughly how much support they get from this community.
I wasn't planning on showing a full chart for all nominated characters, mainly because there's a lot of characters (a bunch with just 1 or 2 votes each)...some of which are very niche overall...
At a later date, probably close to e3 at some point I'll probably list the Top 50, depending on how many more votes we get...as of now I'm just going to show the Top 10 since these characters have a decent amount of votes for right now...

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I wasn't planning on showing a full chart for all nominated characters, mainly because there's a lot of characters (a bunch with just 1 or 2 votes each)...some of which are very niche overall...
At a later date, probably close to e3 at some point I'll probably list the Top 50, depending on how many more votes we get...as of now I'm just going to show the Top 10 since these characters have a decent amount of votes for right now...
Well from the top 10 (thus far) Crash, Isaac, Ridley AND King K. Rool I have never experienced in-game. I'll be interested in seeing a top 50 when it seems appropriate.

Pretty much the only character I voted for I seriously expect (fairly good odds) to get in is Bomberman and to a lesser extent Rex/Pyra duo.
Everything else as much as I may want them.... the odds are slim, but we've got a pretty big roster so far so that's all good.
Though I feel Andy would be a grand nod to a rather underrated series.
No one gets to play every game so there may be a ton out there I would've voted for if I played their game(s) or grew up playing them. I know Spyro/Crash were the oldschool Playstation guys though I've only played Spyro back in the day.

I still love how hilarious villager is in Sm4sh. Started playing the character as a joke/troll but when I started to get the hang of it Villager quickly rose to my top characters. As much as I enjoyed getting Robin in smash, I found their kit a little cumbersome to use even if I still play him/her casually. Sometimes we get good surprises and sometimes what we want doesn't play how we would've hoped.

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Just finished a video about the same thing!! So, this should be pretty easy to do lol. I did restrict myself to only first party since I don't want to get my hopes up for something unlikely.

10: King K Rool
Now I don't particularly want him too badly, but knowing everyone else's passion for his addition it makes me want him too. I would also like more villains so that's already a plus.

9: Rex / Pyra
I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was really important for Nintendo and was completely considered a success. These characters would just reinforce the fact that Xenoblade is an important series for Nintendo now. Also, they'd be really cool to play as.

8: Captain Toad

The perfect opportunity for Toad in Mario. He'd have a super unique move-set and probably really fun to play with. Ofc there is the argument that there are too many Mario reps as is, but I still think Toad is iconic enough for his own spot.

7: Impa
Zelda needs a new rep besides, and Impa is (probably) the next most iconic character considering she's appeared in multiple games. Along with this, she'd be super badass so of course I want her.

6: Isaac
Doubtful, but I still think Smash needs to rep the GBA era more and Isaac would be a super cool character to include. His move-set could be really unique and I just love Golden Sun in general.

5: Paper Mario
Definitely deserves his own spot. Is basically a franchise of his own, and would be less of a clone than Dr. Mario so that argument makes no sense.

4: Decidueye OR Mimikyu / Sceptile
Now this one is kinda weird, but basically just means I would love to see Decidueye added (one of my favorite pokemon), BUT I think it'd also be cool to see Mimikyu and Sceptile added instead. Mimikyu for gen 7 and Sceptile for a grass rep. It would make an influx of Pokeom so that is kinda a problem.

3: Bandana Dee
A simple character, but I still want him as a new Kirby rep. Bandana Dee is iconic enough at this point, and it'd be nice to see a new character with a super simple and straightforward move-set.

2: Dark Samus
NOT A CLONE!!!! Dark Samus has completely different abilities than normal Samus and has appeared as a large villain in multiple games. She would finally add a new rep to Metroid and has potential to have a super cool move-set if she is done right.

1: Geno
My #1 most wanted character. Would be a cool throwback character and would have such a creative move-set. I used to think he was too irrelevant, but now I realize how cool it'd be to see this guy make a return to a Nintendo system, and what better way than Smash?​

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
1. Elma
2. Chibi Robo
3. Dixie Kong
4. King Rool
5. Springman
6. Decidueye
7. Crash Bandicoot
8. Simon Belmont
9. Lara Croft
10. Rayman

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My list is a pretty generic newcomer wishlist, but here you go.

1. Ganon (A Link to the Past)
2. Ridley (Metroid)
3. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
4. Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V)
5. Dark Matter (Kirby)
6. Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
7. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
8. Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
9. Banjo Kazooie (Rare)
10. Geno (SMRPG)

The bottom five can be rearranged or replaced, but the top five are my solid most-wanted picks. Especially if Gilgamesh comes into Smash wielding a Geno doll...

Last edited:

ETFruitNinja

Smash Rookie
This is for most wanted newcomers, not most likely newcomers, right? Nonetheless, I'll try to keep my Top 10 somewhat realistic.

In that case, here is my list:
10. Labo (the cardboard thing)
9. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
8. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade)
7. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
6. Saki (Sin and Punishment)
5. Ashley (WarioWario)
4. Marx (Kirby)
3. Veronica (Fire Emblem Heroes)
2. Mimikyu (Pokemon)
1. Isaac (Golden Sun)

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
10. Takamaru
9. Bandanna Dee
8. Spring Man
7. Saki
6. Waluigi
5. King K. Rool
4. Krystal
3. Rex & Pyra
2. 2B
1. Ashley

edit: changed my mind

Last edited:

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
My turn!

1. Dixie Kong
2. Elma
3. BoTW Zelda
4. Lip
5. Ayumi Tachibana
6. Gonbe/Hikari
7. Gen 8 starter
8. Style Savvy
9. Fe 16 Lord (possibly a female lord! )
10. Isaac

Honorable mentions:

Number 8 (Splatoon), not as a standalone character, but as Inkling’s alt.

Urbosa, even if I think BotW Champions are unlikely to happen in this game.

Krystal

Calista (I know, she’s impossible but one can hope)

Monita (same as above)

Mona, even if Ashley is more likely, I love both so no problem!

Toon Zelda/Tetra

Tethu!

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
1. King K. Rool
2. Waluigi
3. Fawful
4. Ridley
5. Father Balder
6. Marx
7. Hades
8. Dark Samus
9. Zant
10. Skull Kid

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll try my hands on this...

10: Takamaru
9: Bandanna Waddle Dee
8: Ridley
7: Rex
6: Buzzwole
5: Rayman
4: Spring Man
3: Crash Bandicoot
2: Toad
1: King K. Rool

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Decidueye
  3. Arle Nadja
  4. Andy
  5. King K. Rool
  6. Tetra
  7. Paper Mario
  8. Balloon Fighter
  9. Mimikyu
  10. Rayman

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
1. Ridley
2. Waluigi
3. King K. Rool
4. Krystal
5. New Earthbound Characters
6. Decidueye or Lopunny or Pichu
7. Isabelle or New Animal Crossing Characters
8. Jibanyan
9. Professor Layton
10. Gooey
11. Young Link
12. Snake

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
1. Knuckles

2. Ridley

3. King K Rool

4. King Hippo

5. Waluigi

6. Fighter Habyausa (NES Wrestling)

7. Crash Bandicoot

8. Spring-Man

9. Dr. Eggman

10. Connor Kenway (Assassins Creed)

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
10. Rex
9. Geno
8. Spring Man
7. Decidueye
6. Bomberman
5. Bandana Dee
4. Rayman
3. King K. Rool/Dixie Kong
2. Shantae
1. Banjo & Kazooie

Jakor

Smash Ace
1. King K. Rool
K. Rool was my most wanted character for Smash 4, and still is now. I think he has an awesome design and Smash could use to have some more heavyweight and villain characters. I also want badly to play some battles with Mario and Bowser vs. Donkey Kong and K. Rool or many other epic combinations.

2. Dixie Kong

The DK series has traditionally been a bit underrepresented in Smash, so I don't think having two newcomers this time around poses a problem. Plus Dixie Kong is an awesome character that absolutely deserves to get her own spot.

3: Toad

I've always really liked the Toad species in Mario, and in fact Toad has always been my main and favorite character to play in Mario Kart. There's just something I love about his (usual) happy and cheerful personnality.

4. Impa

The Legend of Zelda hasn't had a newcomer since Melee (Toon Link and Young Link are pretty much the same). So it definitely deserves and needs a newcomer in the next Smash. Impa has been one of the most recurring character in the series and so makes more sense to me than one-shot characters.

5. Krystal

I feel Krystal would diversify the Star Fox cast in Smash and has potential to be a unique character. With her magical staff I imagine something of a cross between a more physical Palutena with the agility of a fighter like Greninja or Sheik.

6. Ridley

I do hope Sakurai finds a way to make Ridley work while staying true to his character. The Metroid series could use another rep, and I can't think of a better one than Ridley, as he would also represent the "alien creatures" side of Metroid.

7. Medusa

Medusa is perhaps a bit more of a stretch as the Kid Icarus series is still relatively minor. It's a franchise I feel Nintendo hasn't really fulfilled all the potential it has yet, since it does have an interesting lore, characters, and overall unique setting. Either way, we need more villain characters and Medusa could be another great one, while also being a female fighter.

8. Chibi-Robo

Chibi-Robo has a great design, and being in Smash could also help boost his popularity as it did for other characters. I think he has great moveset potential and I believe would make a fun addition to the cast.

9. Balloon Fighter

One thing I truly love about Smash is the revival of long "dead" characters. I want Balloon Fighter to get the same treatment characters like the Ice Climbers, Pit and Duck Hunt have gotten before him. As for the moveset, if a character like Captain Falcon can get one out of practically nothing, I don't see that as problem. So with an amazing new redesign and some creativity, I can easily see Balloon Fighter get in.

10. Muddy Mole

Another potential retro rep, albeit one far more obscure. But we must not forget that Sakurai always likes to pick up a few unexpected characters each time, and Muddy Mole could fit that role perfectly. I feel he would potentially be another fantastic addition to the roster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom