• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Tournament Results/Discuss Thread (updated 2/1/11)

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
wow HYRO ur awsome
didnt even need to bother putting my recent tournament result.lol
thanks.

and COSPACETIC dont worry, ill get you bak.lol im gonna go 10 times harder on you next time
JV 3 stock

but nah, ur tl is getting good, keep learning him

Hyro

Smash Lord
Holy god yeah sons, listen up.

Random Facts

Lobos has the most tournament experience out of all the Toon Links. He's literally been to 35 different tournaments, going to at least one for every month since brawl was released. 0___o

Most Toon Links at one tourney, 4, at Clash of the Titans 4 with Jash, Santi, Quivo and Lobos.

Most 1st placings in doubles - Santi.

Most 1st placings in singles - Corpsecreate.

Australia's character rankings list - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232139

LOL

---

So yeah, lobos = grandaddy toon link

and I'ma try to go to winterfest. top 10 bby :)

LasT Smash 4 (Louisiana's biggest tourney) coming up soon, I'm thinking top 4.

Lobos

Smash Master
Averaging out to 1 a month but there is has been a month or 2 where I haven't gone to any. This weekend alone I might be going to 2 tournaments.......all in 1 day lol

Hyro

Smash Lord
Averaging out to 1 a month but there is has been a month or 2 where I haven't gone to any. This weekend alone I might be going to 2 tournaments.......all in 1 day lol
Which month?? I just looked at your singles results and I can't find a gap in the months where you didn't go to a tourney XD, unless you don't go to one this month that is

And...how do you go to two tournies in one day :confused:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Hyro, Me and you top two at last 4. We gotta make it happen. Then we get first in doubles.

Lobos

Smash Master
Which month?? I just looked at your singles results and I can't find a gap in the months where you didn't go to a tourney XD, unless you don't go to one this month that is

And...how do you go to two tournies in one day :confused:
I believe back in the summer....I think it was august or may(sometime after apex) and then I haven't been to a brawl tourney since the first week of october.

Well being that I live in a huge area for smash, MD is hosting a smash event that starts at 11 prolly gonna be small and then VA is hosting one starting at 6pm. They are about 1hour 30mins apart lol.......Don't you guys wish you lived here ;)

Hyro

Smash Lord
I believe back in the summer....I think it was august or may(sometime after apex) and then I haven't been to a brawl tourney since the first week of october.

Well being that I live in a huge area for smash, MD is hosting a smash event that starts at 11 prolly gonna be small and then VA is hosting one starting at 6pm. They are about 1hour 30mins apart lol.......Don't you guys wish you lived here ;)
then check your results cuz I ****ed something up lmao

Lobos

Smash Master
No its correct, I just went over it.....I do average about 1 a month, its just that sometimes they are a month apart

silly me :p

jerm - everything is bigger in texas........too bad the cowboys and texans suck :p

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I watched shaya's vids with Corpse in them...his Tink is great and all...but the opponents...IDK how Corpse advanced so much when they seem stuck in '08.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I watched shaya's vids with Corpse in them...his Tink is great and all...but the opponents...IDK how Corpse advanced so much when they seem stuck in '08.
...lol

I just watched the vids...and they seem pretty '08 to me. The opponents literally have ZERO clue on how to get past the spam. Like they're BEWILDERED :dizzy:

It's like, they run up and try to press shield a bunch...then the veeery few times they successfully powershield...they roll away. The best MK there didn't gimp the toon link once (>>>or punish any airdodges on the way back to the stage <<<)...the snake only down threw once lol.

It's just that because his opponents don't know how to fight a Toon Link, it gives him the right to spam hardcore and not get punished...tons of boomerangs and arrow cancels...I can't remember the last time I could arrow cancel that much without getting *****. It's a free approach for the opponent. But yeah, way too much decay and cannot kill for anything...random usmashes should never work, the opponent expects that (they should lol). Utilt is mainly what I kill with (unlike the utilt the commentators were talking about LOL that's a usmash), and corpse needa try using that bomb to uair. Veeeery safe. Boomerang to usmash is a great way to kill too...but literally, ONLY to kill. You shouldn't be charging an usmash everytime your boomerang comes back. Nair, utilt, bair, etc. Charge it when they're at kill percents.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ok a few things I needa clear up about that.

Yes in Australia we suck. We apparently have virtually no top-level players except for a few.

That MK is apparently not the best MK in Australia though, he's just the best MK 'main', but there are other non-MK mains with betters ones apparently.

You have to remember though Australians don't tier ***** as much as Americans though, there's a more
even spread, it's not just dominated by MK's and Snakes. In my NSW the top 10 is mostly comprised of chars like Ness, DK, Pokemon Trainer etc.

And yeah about knowing the MU, I think there's only about 5 or 6 Toons in Aus, i don't know if that's enough to be expected to know the MU well or not.

But yeah from what I understand Corps is meant to be one the top 5 brawlers in Aus.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
...lol

I just watched the vids...and they seem pretty '08 to me. The opponents literally have ZERO clue on how to get past the spam. Like they're BEWILDERED :dizzy:

It's like, they run up and try to press shield a bunch...then the veeery few times they successfully powershield...they roll away. The best MK there didn't gimp the toon link once (>>>or punish any airdodges on the way back to the stage <<<)...the snake only down threw once lol.

It's just that because his opponents don't know how to fight a Toon Link, it gives him the right to spam hardcore and not get punished...tons of boomerangs and arrow cancels...I can't remember the last time I could arrow cancel that much without getting *****. It's a free approach for the opponent. But yeah, way too much decay and cannot kill for anything...random usmashes should never work, the opponent expects that (they should lol). Utilt is mainly what I kill with (unlike the utilt the commentators were talking about LOL that's a usmash), and corpse needa try using that bomb to uair. Veeeery safe. Boomerang to usmash is a great way to kill too...but literally, ONLY to kill. You shouldn't be charging an usmash everytime your boomerang comes back. Nair, utilt, bair, etc. Charge it when they're at kill percents.
That kind of helped me actually lol.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
...lol

Disagree with this "overuse of upsmash" as well as the boomerang to upsmash should only be used to kill. My playstyle varies and changes depending on my oponnent and thats not limited by their character, its a counter of their playstyle. The people who know me would tell you the same thing, the way I play in those matches is like that because it works. Nothing I have seen from any American top players (chip/jash) is anything I cant or dont do nor is their ability anything special from my point of view. Jash is slightly more unique to me though, he plays a little differently.

Upsmash is in my opinion, TL's best move. It is excellent for damage racking and good for killing and as you said, killing with utilt is something I do regularly as well the only problem with it is that you cant hyphen smash with an utilt :(

Also: 1 of 21 "We're Starfox 3" Nov 29
1 of 20 "We're Starfox 2" Nov 8
1 of 16 "We're Starfox 1" Oct 25

swordsaint

Smash Master
Not to mention it was also the FIRST TIME, anyone in our side of the country had even played a toon link, never mind a good one.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Disagree with this "overuse of upsmash" as well as the boomerang to upsmash should only be used to kill. My playstyle varies and changes depending on my oponnent and thats not limited by their character, its a counter of their playstyle. The people who know me would tell you the same thing, the way I play in those matches is like that because it works. Nothing I have seen from any American top players (chip/jash) is anything I cant or dont do nor is their ability anything special from my point of view. Jash is slightly more unique to me though, he plays a little differently.

Upsmash is in my opinion, TL's best move. It is excellent for damage racking and good for killing and as you said, killing with utilt is something I do regularly as well the only problem with it is that you cant hyphen smash with an utilt :(

Also: 1 of 21 "We're Starfox 3" Nov 29
1 of 20 "We're Starfox 2" Nov 8
1 of 16 "We're Starfox 1" Oct 25
hello im corpsecreate i think im as good as chip/jash cus i can do what they do in their vids because aussie is totally as good as america thats why a mid tier character is the best in aussie becuz were that good and im the best tink evar.

I stopped at 'I disagree with the boomerang to usmash should only be used to kill'. I once had a girlfriend from Aussie, you're about as dumb as her.

swordsaint

Smash Master
hello im corpsecreate i think im as good as chip/jash cus i can do what they do in their vids because aussie is totally as good as america thats why a mid tier character is the best in aussie becuz were that good and im the best tink evar.

I stopped at 'I disagree with the boomerang to usmash should only be used to kill'. I once had a girlfriend from Aussie, you're about as dumb as her.
I don't remember seeing him even say he was as good as them, only that he didn't think he had anything to learn from them as a player. And your racist insinuation proves you're the idiot.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Thats ok, people can have whatever opinions they like of me. Unfortunately your attempt to belittle me didn't work but you're welcome to continue trying. I'm happy with my tournament placings thus far and until that changes, im going to play the way I think TL should be played.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Competition brings out the worst in people.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
um. all TLs play differently, which is one of the things that makes him a good character. he has lots of options. using usmash to rack up damage is legit, and if a returning 'rang sets up the combo, why not go for it? utilt is generally safer for killing anyway.

and why are you saying corpse sucks just because he's winning? all it means is we don't know exactly how good he is, he's just better than most of australia. If jash and chip went over there they'd probably get first in each tournament too. does that mean they suck? just stop talking **** about him until you actually play him.

and should we post MM results in this?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
because aussie is totally as good as america hats why a mid tier character is the best in aussie becuz were that good and im the best tink evar..
Happysawks i have a few questions for you-

When did Corps ever say Aussie was as good as US?

When did Corps ever say he was the best Tink ever?

Also, insulting Australia because a mid-tier main is one of the top brawlers isn't valid, considering we don't tier ***** like Americans, we have a far more even spread, making it perfectly valid to have a mid-tier main as one of our best brawlers.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Some US ppl are sooo...ugh. There ARE ppl from other countries that can be good and probably better than u will be. Happysawks who are u anyway? I hate when ppl belittle other players just because theyre from another country. Its easy to do that if you havent played them. Scrub.

MJG

Smash Hero
Happysawks i have a few questions for you-

When did Corps ever say Aussie was as good as US?

When did Corps ever say he was the best Tink ever?

Also, insulting Australia because a mid-tier main is one of the top brawlers isn't valid, considering we don't tier ***** like Americans, we have a far more even spread, making it perfectly valid to have a mid-tier main as one of our best brawlers.
i agree with all of this.. there was no point in attacking corps at all. all of us tinks have different play styles

swordsaint

Smash Master
Good to know some of the Americans arent going out of their way to trasktalk us. =P We know we're not as good as you guys, and there's a couple of reasons for it:
a) Smaller scene
b) Less competitive, got some really competitive players, but far more casual players as well
c) We got the game later than you guys
d) America finds uses for techniques/situations before Australia, and it all seems good so we copy them. That in turn just makes us a shadow of American players.

Corpse, however, imo is really the ONLY Australian player to go in his seperate direction and find things that work for him, rather than imitating Americans. He'll learn techniques and whatnot but won't take things at face value. He plays by his rules.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Yeah stop fighting. Results updated for me, jerm, jash, copacetic and corpse.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Wow, what are you talking about, Australians are awesome..

@Hyro did Jash get DQed at poly brawl? I don't see his name on singles.

Rockan

Smash Apprentice
Can I be on here i have a bunch of tourney results >_______________>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You don't need to ask, just post them. =)

Top Bottom