• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
i was playing on temple and i was on the bottom left edge underneath the two platforms you can drop . i threw a bomb striaght up at full force and the bomb landed as if it z dropped. is this discovered? sorry if im not that clear, its pretty hard to explain

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
ibombing is dropping a bomb while you air dodge

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
it was bomb drop. throw the bomb full force from the way bottem left platform and it will land on the platform as if you had bombdroped from up there

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Edit your posts instead of double posting.

And okay.

Pirate.

Smash Apprentice
Hey, might anyone be able to elaborate on how exactly to do 'Bair to DJ to Dair DI' (timing i guess?) that Hyrulian_Royalty does in his "Bair to DJ Dair DI" and "Toon Link Recap 05/09/09" vids. Everytime i Dair after my Jump(post Bair), i just continue off in the direction i was travelling. If there is a thread already explaining this, im sorry, couldnt find anything with search :ohwell:

My input on SHDA'ing, cause ppl earlier in the thread were talking about it: i jump with Y, and so i just made X special, and because of the brawl buffer system, its really easy to do, i just have to roll my thumb over Y then X for the first instant arrow. It also makes SH tripple laser with Fox really easy, aswell as falcos jump -> instant phantasm.. and a collection of other things that involve jumping and using a special quickly, haha. :laugh:
Also with tap jump off, makes all the jump canceling -> up b (out of shield/to get slides/to fall off ledges/platforms etc), much easier.

Sorry for the wall of text >.<

Mokura

Smash Rookie
All good stuff to know! I use to be quite good at Smash Bros. Melee, and although I started getting into Brawl late I'm noticing just how different the two games are! My main on melee was Dr. Mario, and unfortunately my PhD in awesomeness was revoked. So I've decided on Toon Link, and I think I've come to the right place for guidance.

i was playing on temple and i was on the bottom left edge underneath the two platforms you can drop . i threw a bomb striaght up at full force and the bomb landed as if it z dropped. is this discovered? sorry if im not that clear, its pretty hard to explain
I know what you mean. It's known, but I don't think it's documented or anything, mainly because Temple is banned. Like Fox said, you can do this in a certain area in Delfino. There are lots of stage specific things for bombs. For example, in the second phase of Castle Seige, if you SH, you can toss a bomb to one of the higher platforms, and have it C-4.

In Pokemon Stadium 1, in the phase with the tree, if you stand on the left side of the tree, you can full hop and at the peak of the hop, you can drop the bomb on the platform. I'm pretty sure there are some nice tricks in Rainbow Cruise as well, but I don't know any.

Cheers.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, might anyone be able to elaborate on how exactly to do 'Bair to DJ to Dair DI' (timing i guess?) that Hyrulian_Royalty does in his "Bair to DJ Dair DI" and "Toon Link Recap 05/09/09" vids. Everytime i Dair after my Jump(post Bair), i just continue off in the direction i was travelling. If there is a thread already explaining this, im sorry, couldnt find anything with search
It's all explained in my thread. But basically, you need to Jump back towards stage then Instantly Dair (After the Bair, you know....). What you're doing is just Jumping without any DI input, this will make you float away from stage, as you said.
So yeah, just Jump towards stage and the rest is normal.

I'm pretty sure there are some nice tricks in Rainbow Cruise as well, but I don't know any.
How about the Bouncy Bomb? Too cool.

Pirate.

Smash Apprentice
It's all explained in my thread. But basically, you need to Jump back towards stage then Instantly Dair (After the Bair, you know....). What you're doing is just Jumping without any DI input, this will make you float away from stage, as you said.
So yeah, just Jump towards stage and the rest is normal.
Ah, okies, thanks heaps! :bee:

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
Most useless fact ever that I just frame tested:

Toon Link has a grab release on Squirtle on the edge. After air releasing, immediately run off and zair and it will hit no matter what (you have like a 1-2 frame window though lol)
dude, when reflex comes back, his squirtle wont know what to do against my tlink!

Bshaw718

Smash Cadet

Toon Link has a grab release on Squirtle on the edge. After air releasing, immediately run off and zair and it will hit no matter what (you have like a 1-2 frame window though lol)
i gotta try that out

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303

That's not useless. Adding an extra 4% onto an enemy here and there can really help in the long run. It's like adding whipped cream to an ice cream sundae. Does this work on MK and Wario as well?

That aside, I have a question. I've just started out using Toon LInk as a secondary. Could someone give me a brief explanation regarding Toon LInk's top 3 worst matchups and why? It would be greatly appreciated.

Well MY top 3 worst match ups would be Olimar, Snake, and Kirby.

Olimar because he's small, and his pikmin are annoying, and difficult to get around.
Snake because of his UTilt, plus I don't have experience with the match up.
Kirby because I just suck against him.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Well MY top 3 worst match ups would be Olimar, Snake, and Kirby.

Olimar because he's small, and his pikmin are annoying, and difficult to get around.
Snake because of his UTilt, plus I don't have experience with the match up.
Kirby because I played Kewk.
Fixed for ya :laugh:. IMO the top 3 worst TL matchups would have to be: MK, Wario and Lucario!!! I forgot Luc.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I think its:
MK (hes MK)
Lucario (IF the Lucario is one who knows how not to get gimped, its really annoying fighting them)
Snake (Hard to kill and kills much earlier then you)

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
Does toon link have a wall infinite? I tried with spaced Dtilts once, but my friend eventually got out of it around 114%.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
A lot of "infinates" against walls aren't really infinites because you can DI out of them.
But you can use Dtilt against a wall for a good amount of damage. It's better to use a stronger move when you see them starting to get out of it.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Hey y'all! Do you know a place where I can find a list of bomb traps and setups that are possible on various stages? You know, just for me to learn and be aware of doing when possible?

For example: throw a bomb above you and time a grab uthrow or throw a bomb behind you and time a grab back throw. Something like this.

Thanks

Bshaw718

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all! Do you know a place where I can find a list of bomb traps and setups that are possible on various stages? You know, just for me to learn and be aware of doing when possible?

For example: throw a bomb above you and time a grab uthrow or throw a bomb behind you and time a grab back throw. Something like this.

Thanks
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228712
^^^

maybe this will help...if not sorry for the waste

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
quick question

im having trouble pulling off a zair following SH bomb throw. How do you extend the zair instead of airdodging??

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
quick question

im having trouble pulling off a zair following SH bomb throw. How do you extend the zair instead of air-dodging??
So you essentially want to bomb throw and zair in the same SH?

After the bomb throw instead of pressing Z, press Shield+A to initiate the Zair.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Hey guys; I'm thinking about sharing my edge stalling method with the TL community for the sake of the glory of the kid, but I'm not sure if a thread has been dedicated to it or if it's common knowledge. However, I have not seen it being used in TL videos or in TL dittos, so here ya go:

Drop from the edge, pull out bomb, toss it up so that it surpasses the floor of the stage, think Final D., and then use your up-b to sweet spot the edge, effectively giving you a bomb shield from being gimped by gimp-happy characters (Wolf, Meta, Kirby, etc.,) and when you're adept at this, you can switch places as the edge guarder while they grab the edge. Several bombs may be juggled this way, with falling unexploded bombs being caught and thrown at the stage to switch things up.

Let me know what you guys think!

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
That's been known for a while now.
No u

But seriously, the point isn't necessarily to 'invent' something, but to...advertise it? There are many Toons who don't use this little edge game tech that would benefit, and I don't see it mentioned in this or any other thread on this board.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I believe I was the first one to state that exact idea on the TL board, actually. But that was months ago. There are a lot of options on the ledge. There are a lot of options everywhere. Players would benefit from doing a lot of different things, but they need to learn for themselves.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Not everyone has the play time available to learn the meta game independently, brah. Hell, I played Melee for about three years after launch without knowing what wave dashing was. I didn't hit up any Smash sites until 2004 btw lol.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This isn't wavedashing. This is throwing a bomb up and using Up-B.

It's not a tech. It's a combination of moves.
Do you know how long it would take to list every helpful combination of moves? It wouldn't end.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Yes it would take forever, luckily we're talking about a specific case. Also, let's not try to oversimplify it to just throwing a bomb and recovering; its purpose is for mind game and anti-gimp purposes and thus is worthy of at least a mention.

Top Bottom