• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

UncleSam

Smash Master
Hi, I have another question.

I heard that TL can chain grab by D-Throwing, then turning around, & grabbing & repeating, but it has to be from 0%, & you can't do it anymore at around 50%.

Can anyone give me some details/clarify this?
0-35% (those were the numbers in training mode it can go to 60% due to stale moves)
but it can be escaped after like 2-3 throws

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Most characters can actually just jump after the first d-throw. it only works because they airdodge instead, expecting a bair, and then the grab punishes the landing.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Most characters can actually just jump after the first d-throw. it only works because they airdodge instead, expecting a bair, and then the grab punishes the landing.
How often should a TL use grab?

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
a miss is extremely punishable, so only use it when you know you can land it. which all depends on how often your opponent leaves himself open

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It was just a regular arrow cancel.

Heavy Metal KiLLeR

Smash Cadet
Hey, hi everybody.

I'm posting a thing that happened to me when I was fighting against a lvl 9 Mk.
It is some spike/semi spike caused by the UpB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jck-rr4ebmg

Maybe it is just the Mk doing a DI and that caused the spike efect.
But still cool

I posted here cuz I dunno if this is new or not, and I think is not too important...

UncleSam

Smash Master
Hey, hi everybody.

I'm posting a thing that happened to me when I was fighting against a lvl 9 Mk.
It is some spike/semi spike caused by the UpB

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jck-rr4ebmg&feature=channel

Maybe it is just the Mk doing a DI and that caused the spike efect.
But still cool

I posted here cuz I dunno if this is new or not, and I think is not too important...
broken link you have an extra http://
anyway, I think it was DI, cuz the upB combo's into itself, the MK DI'd down to avoid the other hits and was shot away from you

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Aha, just as I thought. I found this a while ago.
You were correct in your presumtion. Toon's grounded Up-B can semi spike. The very first hit of the grounded Up-B behind Toon can in fact hit the opponent down. I've only ever seen it done when the opponent is hanging on the ledge, runs out of invincibility frames, and Toon uses the grounded Up-B facing the opposite way. Situational, but there you go. Thanks for showing us a vid of it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Is it a bad idea to use fair occasionally to rack up damage? I know that it's one of the main kill moves, so I was thinking that if I used it too much it would go stale..
Can I avoid that problem if I grab & pummel?

Oh & what should I look out for when I fight G&W?

vVRenoVv

Smash Rookie
Ok um... I use the sideways wiimote and find it really hard to grab and zair, which I know are kind of needed for Toon Link.

What do you think would be the best controller set up?

I have jump as up, left as left, right as right, down as crouch, 2 as attack, 1 as special, b as block and a as grab but it is really awkward trying to zair. Oh, and - is taunt, not exactly needed.

Should I use arrows more? I used to abuse them until I started on bombs which are now a huge part of my game, along with an angled boomerang. Should I be using arrows or should I just stick to bombs and boomerang?

And um... one last question... I always want to go for spikes, but I always hesitate and miss my chance. Should I just go for it and risk the miss or play it safe? (kind of geenral question... sorry...)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ok um... I use the sideways wiimote and find it really hard to grab and zair, which I know are kind of needed for Toon Link.

I have jump as up, left as left, right as right, down as crouch, 2 as attack, 1 as special, b as block and a as grab but it is really awkward trying to zair. Oh, and - is taunt, not exactly needed.

Should I use arrows more? I used to abuse them until I started on bombs which are now a huge part of my game, along with an angled boomerang. Should I be using arrows or should I just stick to bombs and boomerang?

And um... one last question... I always want to go for spikes, but I always hesitate and miss my chance. Should I just go for it and risk the miss or play it safe? (kind of geenral question... sorry...)
If you can, try ordering a GC controller on Amazon.com.

Use all projectiles. Arrow cancel everytime you land, if possible.
Dairing.. high risk, high reward. Do it if you're positive it will land.

Heavy Metal KiLLeR

Smash Cadet

I think you will have a bad time playing with sideways wiimote. Try wiimote+nunchuck at last...

Try to use your zair pressing the shield button + the atack button, you will do an air dodge and a zair, I think this is the best way to the it, since the A button will be a little far.

Like Kaffei said, you need to cancel your arrows every time you can do it, and need to master the timing for any type of quick draw. Mix your camping game up, use every thing ^^

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Fast fall at the earliest possible time you can (figure it out, it's hard to explain exactly when, but it's basically at the peak of your jump) by flicking the Joystick down and delay hitting B as long as you can.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Fast fall at the earliest possible time you can (figure it out, it's hard to explain exactly when, but it's basically at the peak of your jump) by flicking the Joystick down and delay hitting B as long as you can.
Sounds kind of tricky.. I guess I just have to practiced? :D

UncleSam

Smash Master
I got a stupid, ******** problem. I can SHFF Reverse QD but I CAN'T seem to do it if its not reversed. RQS did that to me. I can't SHFF QD unless its reversed. Tips? Discuss?
Infraction?
if you don't want it reversed don't press back >.>
you you want to be able to do both just practice doing reversed SHFFQD and normal SHFFQD on after another.
1st SH you do reversed
2nd you do normal
once you get it down you just need to apply it

Kaffei

Smash Hero
So I just versed against a guy who used Samus, but I lost.
We both got each other to the last stock & at high %, but he killed me first. :| I'm kind of having trouble killing Samus.
I noticed that Zair & Arrows worked wonders.. but that was the first time I fought a Samus as TL, so I don't know.

What should I look out for? I heard that this match up is 60:40, TL's favor, so... >:T

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
That matchup is probably 70-30 TL :/. Just remember samus cant kill Toon Link, spam her and just avoid her awful "killing" moves.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
That matchup is probably 70-30 TL :/. Just remember samus cant kill Toon Link, spam her and just avoid her awful "killing" moves.
Wow.. ㄱ_______________ㄱ
I feel like a total noob now, lol.

Ok, thank you. Maybe I was too close to Samus; the last stock I got spiked by her D-Air.

TheMike

Smash Lord
just a doubt...

what are toon link attacks that trips the opponent besides Dash Attack and its best follow ups? D:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
just a doubt...

what are toon link attacks that trips the opponent besides Dash Attack and its best follow ups? D:
I think Dash attack is TL's only trip move.
As for following up, grab works, but they can roll away, meaning you'll miss, so it shouldn't be used too often.. I like following up with another DA, if there's room.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Nair also has a high chance of tripping at low percents. Ive pulled amazing combos with that XD. Nair>trip>footstool>Down air>Pogo>Bair>Bair :).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Dtilt trips a lot.
A LOT of moves do, but not high chance of it happening.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Please tell me where I said anything contrary to that.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
................. I never said anything about Nair.

Top Bottom