• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I hear people talking about zair-nair being really reliable but I never seem to pull it off.

What part of the zair do you hit with? Surely you don't tip it. Do you have to move the nair forward?

Yeah, you have to run in with the Nair. If you already have forward aerial momentum it's easier. It's also best to fullhop the Nair so that it's harder for the opponent to punish you if you were to hit their shield. I wouldn't go for the Nair if you tip the Zair, even though you can sometimes pull it off. I'd just settle for just a Zair so I can retain my spacing (and spam Zair some more!) :D

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah, you have to run in with the Nair. If you already have forward aerial momentum it's easier. It's also best to fullhop the Nair so that it's harder for the opponent to punish you if you were to hit their shield. I wouldn't go for the Nair if you tip the Zair, even though you can sometimes pull it off. I'd just settle for just a Zair so I can retain my spacing (and spam Zair some more!) :D
Thanks.

I do the occasonal zair-grab mix up, but I normally either just tip zair or zair-nair without moving in place. l'll move it forward next time.

Also, if you bair a grounded opponent, is it better to SH or FH it to try start a bair chain? I understand FH is safer from punishment but I'm interested in psuedo combo potential.

Shokwav

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to the competetive Smash scene. After trying out nearly every character on the roster (even Jigglypuff), I've finally set on Toon Link. :) I've read the guide and learned that: 1. Projectile/Hookshot spam is good. 2. Dair is risky as hell. 3. Bombs... bombs everywhere...

Anyways, are they any videos/channels/streams/etc. of a professional Tink player? Or would someone care to join me in a brawl to help tutor me in the ways of the toon?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
When you charge F-Smash, do both hits become more powerful or is it only the 1st hit?

When you hit only with F-Smash 1, does only F-Smash 1 stale or would both hits stale?

And since Z-Air never stales, does it count in the Stale Queue Chart and therefore could be used to refresh your other moves?

TheFlow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flowmed
I think for the F-Smash, Both hits become more powerful. Also you need to be careful as if you charge it, your opponent may try to SDI out. If you pull a charged FSmash, timing is great.

For the stal, i dont know, but i think both hits become weaker.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
fsmash1 stales both hits, zair doesnt refresh anything. Also I think every item has its own staling and counts towards the staling queue, like diddys nanas and peachs turnip, not 100% sure tho.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Long time no post tl boards.
Is there a thread that details tl's air speed, fall rate etc. compared to the rest of the cast? Also, it seems the tl boards are very inactive. Is everyone done with the research; has the tl metagame come to a plateau? :?:

:phone:

Imri

Smash Rookie
Ok... stupid question, and I'm pretty sure I'll get flamed for this but... hey, not a tourney player so... sue me...
anyway, question is: any tips for someone who prefers using the nunchuck layout? trying certain moves and can't seem to get em done... is the nunchuck really inherently that much worse than the GC controller?

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Ok... stupid question, and I'm pretty sure I'll get flamed for this but... hey, not a tourney player so... sue me...
anyway, question is: any tips for someone who prefers using the nunchuck layout? trying certain moves and can't seem to get em done... is the nunchuck really inherently that much worse than the GC controller?
their are players who are fairly successful with the chuck, but very few. GCC is your best bet.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
Is throwing an angled boomerang just not throwing it straight at the person? What are all the ways you can throw an angled boomerang?

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
You can throw a boomerang up-diagonal, straight, or down-diagonal. You can do that while in the air or on the ground. You can also bounce the boomerang off obstacles, and it works the way you'd expect

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
When you get hit far offstage and you DI to the high corner of the stage you have time to safely pull one bomb out at least.When you first get hit offstage and after momentum canceling you can pull a bomb then throw it immediately towards the stage and it will land somewhere near the ledge of the stage. Then you are usually still pretty high up so you can pull a second bomb to hold on to. Dont pull a second bomb if its unsafe hold onto the first bomb!

From here you will either be throwing a bomb, boomerang, or arrow to try to block your opponents path again. Or if you still have your double jump you can use that around this time along with airdodges to try to get through your opponent if they are chasing you offstage. Now at this point if you havent been hit yet you would be upb-ing towards the ledge. If you are hit out of your up-b, shortly after up-b again so that the bomb explosion will take you out of your upb helpless state, and now you can up-b a third time. Or if you fail to grab the ledge the bomb will hit you out of your upb state for you so you can upb a 2nd time.

examples of toon link recovering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4ZRriW-p0&feature=player_detailpage#t=162s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4ZRriW-p0&feature=player_detailpage#t=325s
In this video mjg recovers the same way twice. bair momentum cancel pull bomb, block path with boomerang, up-b to the ledge. In the event mjg is hit out of his up-b he will be able to up-b again have the bomb blow up, and then up-b a third time. This is a very standard recovery and is pretty effective too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4ZRriW-p0&feature=player_detailpage#t=471s
watch how mjg gets to the ledge using the main strategy of (1)pull bomb(2) throw boomerang(3) upb sucessfully. I know he keeps gettin hit offstage after getting to the ledge but thats not the point right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_oc_ZtvR7A&list=PLBABAE6D30C7BCA4F&feature=player_detailpage#t=462s
and here you go what you've been waiting for the whole time. KT attempt to recover with bomb pull, boomeraing, upb, doesnt get to the ledge so the bomb takes him out of the upb and upbs again. the b reverse arrow was just for spacing, and it didnt do too much anyways.

Obviousely bombpull,boomerang,upb isnt the only way to recover but its kinda the flow chart thing to do and if you fail your upb you will have a 2nd or maybe even 3rd upb attempt depending on timing of the bomb pull. There are other ways to recover but they are mainly variations of this pattern (using arrows over boomerangs, if you have ur dj, jumping with a bomb throw or aerial) so good luck recovering to toon links fullest! (its still not enough and you will get gimped by players/characters who are amazing at edgeguarding)

tru0067

Smash Journeyman
Thanks

The way I've been doing it is being hit with a bomb so it explodes right after the first upb

Also what are good stages for Toon Link, I like Yoshi's Island (because of dsmash)and SmashVile (because it makes camping easier)

MJG

Smash Hero
Throwing a bomb away from the stage and then using bair is a good way to get back to the ledge/stage safely as well. This works pretty well against MK, Wario and a number of other characters or players that are waiting for either an airdodge or any opportunity to keep you off stage.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Should I dair spike or is it too risky?

yo. that **** is WAY TO RISKY. There is a "safe spike" AT utilizing a bomb, and the Dair can be used onstage very close to the ledge to spike opponents sleeping on the ledge. Your better off just edge-guarding with your projectiles to get extra damage, or a bomb follow-up kill (bomb>Fair/nair) gimp.

Grounded UpB?

It's very rare that I use it, but it's a decent surprise punish to people who spotdodge, or people who like to do cross-up rolls.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
LOL grounded up b is an epic mix-up as a punish. Use it Oos if you chose to use it at all, but really there are very few occasions you should ever use it.
I think ive used this maybe twice in tournament lol

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
My friend keeps asking me what the point is of spamming with TL, he just doesn't understand what it is like playing TL. What is a good response? I've said to keep people away and to rack up damage/ get openings for melee attacks.

TL doesn't have to approach since he can land attacks from far away. In competitive Brawl we abuse the **** out of every technique, so why not abuse that one? TL's close-up game isn't that amazing, so we use his ranged game since it's better than most.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
My friend keeps asking me what the point is of spamming with TL, he just doesn't understand what it is like playing TL. What is a good response? I've said to keep people away and to rack up damage/ get openings for melee attacks.
If he's a casual player jus say "toon links gay"
If he's competitive jus say "toon link sucks"

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
What should we do when someone is vulnerable right in front of us and we have a bomb in our hand? I just throw the bomb and get hit by it also, but what are our other possibilities?

Top Bottom