• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, this times, I tend to use (full) Jab a lot. I seriously think this move is good for Tink because it's his fastest ground attack, has range and priority and deals 10%. It's awesome for spacing and pressure imo.

Do you guys already think like this ?
Or am I wrong in something ?

archer.

Smash Lord
His jab is pretty terrible IMO but you'll find yourself in situations where it's your best/only option because of its "speed." Just use it to get people out of your face and get some projectiles out. Even then it's not reliable, 2nd hitbox is so small it'll just straight up miss sometimes, and a lot of characters can hit you out of it.

It punishes spot dodge pretty well.

First two hits are the good ones though, the jab is mostly used with a finishing mixup (Jab to Grab, Jab to Nair, etc.)

Zair for momentum canceling would be a bad idea. Ideally you would want to use your shortest lasting aerial to momentum cancel (Bair). Zair takes too long to complete, so it's not a good momentum canceling move.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Oh I didn't know the amount of ending lag affects your ability to cancel momentum :p

But if shorter lasting aerials are better, how come the FAQ says U-Air is good for Momentum Canceling? O__O

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
I have a couple questions to ask,

1. Best Throw to use after a few pummels.

2. Best way to practice quickdrawing

3. I like to use bombs to throw my opponent, (meaning I like them to worry about the bombs and less on me so I can start my combos) is that a bad way to apporach, in my opinion it works but I feel it works but also makes me feel predictable. any tips on how to approach ANY opponent.

4. Best KOing move, having somewhat a little trouble KOing at around 60%-100% I dont KO them till past 130% at times and that's not good as it wears on me as a player and character. I know Fair, Nair and sometimes Bair are great KOing finishers in the air, Uair is good but as a limited range and I wouldn't touch bair unless I know I can stick the spike. Side smashes are good but I do hate missing both or either 1 and I do know how to do the down smash gimp but can't practice with do to a bad controller. Upsmash the best way to go with the slide? because I know doing that with a bomb in the air and hitting someone with a Upsmash to the bomb goes great koing move, may i add doing a upthrow into a bomb that's been thrown straight up is one of my favorite KOing moves.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
@yoshi I have no idea why uair seems like its good, it might be an illusion because its long lasting and you can visibly see tl slow down. long lasting air moves are bad cuz u can't use your dj immediately to help cancel momentum. If uair is actually that good then I guess using to live vertically would be best, but I really haven't tested myself this is just in theory.

viper
1. at low% prolly upthrow is best. at mid to high % dthrow is really tho only one we can possibly follow up after.
2. just sit in training and do sh nairs or sh bomb pulls to quickdraw. make sure you can reverse the arrow too.
3. bombs bouncing off an opponents shield is prolly one of the best times to apply pressure. also try to get returning boomerangs help apply pressure or save you from getting punished.
4. getting ko's at near death%'s happen because ppl don't realize they can die and don't try to play super safe yet. uair is great because it can beat airdodges and it beats almost all dairs. getting kills is rediculously hard with tl because ppl shield a lot since we don't have a legit grab to scare them, but be patient.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
@yoshi I have no idea why uair seems like its good, it might be an illusion because its long lasting and you can visibly see tl slow down. long lasting air moves are bad cuz u can't use your dj immediately to help cancel momentum. If uair is actually that good then I guess using to live vertically would be best, but I really haven't tested myself this is just in theory.

viper
1. at low% prolly upthrow is best. at mid to high % dthrow is really tho only one we can possibly follow up after.
2. just sit in training and do sh nairs or sh bomb pulls to quickdraw. make sure you can reverse the arrow too.
3. bombs bouncing off an opponents shield is prolly one of the best times to apply pressure. also try to get returning boomerangs help apply pressure or save you from getting punished.
4. getting ko's at near death%'s happen because ppl don't realize they can die and don't try to play super safe yet. uair is great because it can beat airdodges and it beats almost all dairs. getting kills is rediculously hard with tl because ppl shield a lot since we don't have a legit grab to scare them, but be patient.
thank you sir. that's what I needed to know.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
Our grab is so f'n good and i encourage u all to unlock its full potential.

just think of it as this. our grab is really long so u dont have to be near them to grab them. so u can read landings with grab. and stand back alittle when u grab and u can jus grab a dashing opponent coming towards u.
im telling u. its broken. i told mjg this and he uses it alot now to

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Grab da bess punish for landings. Also I generally kill at probably 150%+, just alway play safe. Dont go in too much for the kill or before you know it you've taken 80% damage throwing out upsmash for days.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Grab da bess punish for landings. Also I generally kill at probably 150%+, just alway play safe. Dont go in too much for the kill or before you know it you've taken 80% damage throwing out upsmash for days.
and what grab are you talking about? I also main ZSS and I know she can grab people out of the air over ledges and I tried with TL and always fails.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
and what grab are you talking about? I also main ZSS and I know she can grab people out of the air over ledges and I tried with TL and always fails.
d-throw or b-throw. D-throw to follow up with Bair/Bair combo if low %, but if you miss the bair your in a bad spot being right next to them. B-throw just to get them away from you and to camp harder.
The punish for landings im referring to is to grab them as they land, not while their in the air. If you throw a bomb or somehow force an airdodge into the ground, aka if they are scared of you, its a free grab. Airdodge into the ground has a lot of lag, so its easy to punish.
The way people get around this is to throw out a hitbox as they land and you can shield as they land, as what are they going to do in the air, grab you?

Sully

Smash Cadet
Are you supposed to short hop and then Zair before you hit the ground to set up a combo, or can it be a full hop also, and what move is best used out of it?

And is throwing a bomb beneath you while in the air then following with a Dair on the stunned opponent a good idea?

There's nothing wrong with full hopping or short hopping a Zair, it just depends on your situation. If you need to release a Zair quickly, then short hop it. If maybe you need to jump over something like Samus' Charge Beam and then Zair when you finish jumping over it, you might want to full hop. You get me? No discrimination between the two, it's always situational. Short hopping is most useful though, since it's quicker, so you might want to use that more often.

Good follow-ups after Zair:

Zair -> Nair
Zair -> Grab

Zair -> FTilt (depends on spacing)
Zair -> Dash Attack (depends on spacing)
Zair -> USmash (depends on spacing)

--

If you throw a bomb below you while falling and it hits an enemy, Dair is not a bad follow-up as long as you're sure you can land the Dair. Again, it's situational. When you throw a bomb down and it hits, you have the option to land pretty much any aerial you want, it's just a matter of choosing the one that best fits the situation. I would use Dair if the enemy is at lower percents, that way, I can try to rack damage on him by chasing him with a Dair pogo -> Zair -> Follow-up.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Are you supposed to short hop and then Zair before you hit the ground to set up a combo, or can it be a full hop also, and what move is best used out of it?

And is throwing a bomb beneath you while in the air then following with a Dair on the stunned opponent a good idea?
you live in MA?! go to dissention on the 23rd. it's a tourney in palmer

and welcome to TL boards

Sully

Smash Cadet
you live in MA?! go to dissention on the 23rd. it's a tourney in palmer

and welcome to TL boards
Are you kidding? I suck :p I have to use the Wii mote + nunchuk now, because my wii isn't compatible with the gc controller :(

And who's the best team mate for TL?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
If you suck then you better get going to tourneys like this one for practice...lol

anyway that's a bad attitude to have. You won't win if you play thinking "I'm terrible, why try at all..." Try to play safe and observe your opponent's habits and you'll get the hang of the character. Camping is important too lol. MK is the best teammate (obviously) and Snake is probably second best

Sully

Smash Cadet
If you suck then you better get going to tourneys like this one for practice...lol

anyway that's a bad attitude to have. You won't win if you play thinking "I'm terrible, why try at all..." Try to play safe and observe your opponent's habits and you'll get the hang of the character. Camping is important too lol. MK is the best teammate (obviously) and Snake is probably second best

Well I'm just not as good as I was with the GC controller, no shorthopping and I take more time to react to things. I can still beat my friends but mostly by luck

Is it best to angle the boomerang downwards so it bounces up and hits them for a surprise attack or just directly at them?

Each has its own use.

Sometimes you want to throw a boomerang to hit somebody, and other times you'll want to throw a boomerang to prevent a person from moving along the path of a boomerang. Sometimes you'll even want to throw a boomerang to force an aerial opponent to air dodge, so you can meet him at the end of the air dodge with your sword.

If you want to hit him, then throwing it directly at him might be best, unless he's at a strange angle. Then you might want to try some sort of trick shot by throwing it down. You might also want to try a different angle if you want a more delayed hit. The angle doesn't matter just as long as the boomerang meets its purpose.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
It's pretty much player dependent. I do well on BF, SV, FD, and Delfino. Some others might do well on YI, PS1, or Lylat...

BF has platforms for bomb camping, same with SV and Delfino
FD gives you horizontal room to run away
Delfino has water so you can spike people

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Probably not because if your opponent expects it they might shield and you can punish it or use that time to set up better things.

:phone:

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
You can QuickDraw instead of a tech, it might throw your opponent off if you do that at times.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Please explain this to us. I'm dying to hear this one.

What? I prefer the stage. Its big and has two platforms on the neutral, actually its just a big and campy stage in general. And anyways who are you, Ive never seen you on the TL forums, and you play Mario? What do you mean by us, you play mario so its not like your a TL main. So vague, WHAT DOES IT MEAN? So anyways, i like the stage. Many of the transformations promote camping, which is what I want. Plus its gimmicky, which makes many people uncomfortable on the stage.

inb4 Shots fired

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I was just wondering, chillllll. :laugh:

I just came here just to read and learn everything about TL.
Might pick him up as a secondary, pretty fun to play with and he fits my style of play.

and what i mean by "us", i mean me and your fellow TL players.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
They are your mainstay, but dont risk too much to pull a bomb. Just try to find a good spot to pull one, cuz you get punished hard for pulling a bomb in a bad spot. Make sure their away or off stage, and be careful specially careful of people like zss which have fast jump/aerial movements.

ShadowTl

Smash Apprentice
Short hop when you pull the bomb, so you're still mobile and you can still kinda evade stuff. You can still retreat when the opponent comes for you.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
They are your mainstay, but dont risk too much to pull a bomb. Just try to find a good spot to pull one, cuz you get punished hard for pulling a bomb in a bad spot. Make sure their away or off stage, and be careful specially careful of people like zss which have fast jump/aerial movements.
agreed, Zero Suit can punish that risk with Bairs and Fairs. Upairs if lucky enough to get Tink is a bad spot.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guysjust two quick questions.

Firstly, I wanted to know if there was any way to set up double hit nairs. The only thing I could think of is A sticking and using nair to jump through an opponent, and possibly FFing it diagonally. With A sticking you get more horizontal distance because you don't have to let go of the control stick, but it probably doesn't work anyway.

I also wanted to know what you guys thought of usmash OOS. I know it has bad range but it seems to me that if you catch an opponent with a projectile just above the ground in mid-close range you could dash-shield and then punish either their blocked aerial or dodge, and if they jump away you're still safe. Let me know what you guys think.

Double hit nairs, I don't really expect to get, they just happen. The easiest way to make them happen though would be to obviously use the middle hitboxes of Nair as opposed to the tips. Under certain situations you'll get a double hit to come out, such as low %, against a wall, etc. It's not an aspect of the game I've tried to set up, but when it happens it's pretty cool.

USmash OoS is legit, but has specific uses, like lets say..... an MK glide attacking the top front of your shield. It's especially cool cause you can actually go for a sliding/JC USmash and get that little oomph for your USmash. It's best not to get too comfortable with it though, because you don't want to give your killing moves away.

I'm hoping that someone else can give better advice than me.

archer.

Smash Lord
Getting both hits of nair usually isn't likely to happen, but you can get it just fine without A sticking, you just have to wait to nair until both characters are inside of each other and then do it as you're crossing them up. It's actually pretty easy to do on Wario if you manage to air release him.

Usmash OOS would be great if it had range, but it doesn't, so unless the opponent spaces a move badly you're almost never gonna get one off on someone just by blocking an attack. It's good to do though if they get hit by a returning boomerang since that pops them up just above and right in front of you.

Top Bottom