• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm considering maining Toon so I have a few questions-

How do Toons juggle?

What would you say his learning curve is like? How long roughly will it take for me to get familiar with him?

What are his momentum cancel moves?

Is dthrow the best throw to use?

Also, is there any point learning the BCAT? I know the point is to string into a bair afterward, but it seems like there'd be too much lag on it even though it's a quickdraw.

Thanks, in advance, I'm sure I'm bound to have more questions in the next few days.

-They juggle with Bair, I guess. TL isn't really a juggler. Uair works too, but it's more of a kill move. Utilt also works at low %s.

-Took me about 3 months to get really comfortable with him.

-Use Bair for momentum canceling.

-Dthrow is the best, but all throws can be used to put your opponent into positions that are in your favor.

-Honestly BCAT isn't really that useful for me. Once you get the basic SHDA down it's not that hard to pull off.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I'm considering maining Toon so I have a few questions-

How do Toons juggle?

What would you say his learning curve is like? How long roughly will it take for me to get familiar with him?

What are his momentum cancel moves?

Is dthrow the best throw to use?

Also, is there any point learning the BCAT? I know the point is to string into a bair afterward, but it seems like there'd be too much lag on it even though it's a quickdraw.

Thanks, in advance, I'm sure I'm bound to have more questions in the next few days.
-bair

-looooong time

-bair

-I like bthrow...it's so fast you can usually run up and nair your opponent from it and it'll hit. You can tech chase them from it too. It puts them in an awkward position so they'll roll, spotdodge etc. From a dthrow, at higher levels I notice people attack from it, snakes + falco will try to bair you, so hold shield and punish.

-no LOL, what you said is exactly right, too laggy. If you feel like bairing just rar after you SHDA.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
BCAT is pretty much just for flashiness really. Ive gotten used to do it every time I SHDA (which is very little) even after a RAR SHDA. BCAT is really easy and pretty useless too.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Sometimes I like to psych out my opponent and do a bair > fast falled reverse quick draw. This is also slightly useless lol.

To get used to TL in a way that controlling him is second nature, it'll take a while. I'd say around a month to get started.

If you want to master all of his AT's like it's second nature, then it'll take waaaaaaaay more time.

He's too legit.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
To get used to TL in a way that controlling him is second nature, it'll take a while. I'd say around a month to get started.

If you want to master all of his AT's like it's second nature, then it'll take waaaaaaaay more time.

He's too legit.
A lot of his ATs are useless though, lol.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Not useless, just situational. So individually they suck, but he has like 800 ATs so basically every situation has one or two that would be useful. You need to try and learn most of them to use TL to his fullest

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Another two rookie questions, I understand the main way for opponents to deal with zair is to shield, or powershield it, so why then can't we just proceed with the zair-grab combo? I'm guessing they get enough frames to escape?

I haven't seen many Toon vids, but from what I have seen (Hyro, Chip etc.), there's something I haven't seen them do that I wanna ask about. Zair is normally powershielded, and is telegraphed due to being one of the few moves that is delayed out of his shorthop. So I was just wondering, if they get accustomed to powershielding it, could we mix it up by shorthopping, and instead of zairing, we could FF to grab, the idea being to bait and punish the powershield.

Considering I haven't seen any 'legit' Toons do this, I'm guessing it's a bad idea, but I'd like to know why so I don't try it in a match

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Not sure but I think there's more landing lag from just FFing than on a zair. Or at least theyre comparable. The main problem is most people will just jump out of shield, and TL can't grab someone in the air. Zair->grab works better if you hit with zair

Yeah. Usually if they powershield the Zair, they're just gonna grab you. You won't have time to grab them.

However, tricking them into thinking you're gonna Zair is good. Assuming you actually DO trick them though. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But with my FF thing the point was to catch them when they powershield, or at least before they can react out of it, not when they have the chance to jump, the idea was to punish powershielding, not just normal shielding.

I was also considering airdodging into the ground instead of just FFing, in order to sell the fake zair more, but I'm guessing this is a bad idea too.

But I'm not sure what the lag from FF to grab is like.

So with the zair-grab, if they shield the zair do they have enough frames to escape the grab?

I'm not claiming these grab mindgames are good ideas, I just wanna know why they're not used by good Toons.

Edit: I posted this before I saw your post Twink. Wit hthe zair on shield thing, wouldn't Toon's grab outrange most grabs if spaced correctly?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Risk on grab is much > reward.

You're only supposed to grab when you're confident that it'll grab them.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^ This. Whiff a grab and you're asking to get *****. Really, grabbing with TL is very situational. Like grabbing mk's dsmash, grabbing shield spammy DDDs (most) and punishing whiffed second snake ftilt.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But that's the point though, I'm not suggesting you do it at the start of the match, I'm only suggesting you do it as a once-off in a crucial point later in the match, when the opponent is conditioned into shielding your zairs.

The whole logic behind it is that a good opponent will predict a zair, because it's telegraphed due to the delay before you use it out of a shorthop, so they'll know it's coming. If they don't shield/punish the zair, then you just keep on using zair.

Also, getting them with the FF grab may make them hesitant to PS again (not sure about this).

Anyway I know I'm not respected on these boards and I'm not really in a position to provide tatcical information, but I'm just throwing it out there for criticism.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Well the deal is, they can react to a non-zair fall just as fast as they can with a zair. they aren't waiting for the attack, they're waiting for you to land. So by not zairing you don't do anything differently then zairing except reduce shieldstun.

And yes TL's grab outranges many grabs, but it's not really the issue, since they can usually just dash grab and get us before ours comes out.

When we land, we have 2 frames of lag, or 4 if we fast fall. If we zair and land that, we still have those 2 frames of landing lag, and 4 if we FF. A zair doesn't change anything about how quickly we can grab after landing. The only difference is shieldstun.

Also, after landing, our grab doesn't grab until frame 12 at the earliest. So that's a minimum of 14 frames after landing before we can grab. And most characters can get to us and do something in those 14 frames. And if they can't they'll at least jump or dodge. 14 frames is a very long time to react.

Hyro

Smash Lord
i did a bcd today

it was a banana canceled dsmash

diddy was behind banana. i was on the other side

i dsmashed...tripped...first hit hit...he flew at 80%...

works on 1/37th of the cast.

has 27.665% rate of killing because diddy has the side b and because his nair is good

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link + Diddy = godly in teams.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
(BCD) Bananna Cancelled D-smash XD. That actually made me laugh.
Toon Link is godly in teams with anyone because he has so many gimicky stuff that actually works. Note to self, get Gords my team mate to use Diddy (his secondary) next time. Should be funny.

MJG

Smash Hero

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lots of questions:
When are we going to have a vid of TL's hitbubbles?

Can someone make a thread of other chars moves discussion and how to punish/react accordingly to them?

Will I ever write the snake and sheik matchup summaries? >_<

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'm still trying to understand how PSA works. =/

I have next to no idea.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If anyone already understands how it works, that would be really nice! T_T

You guys act like NinjaLink is some sort of vampire with 20 foot fangs.....

..... is he?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'm working on PSA stuff. Someone is helping me. >_<

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'm feeling generous.

If anyone already understands how it works, that would be really nice! T_T
http://www.mediafire.com/?znyyxnmjhct

Sample: Has first 3 jabs completed (I think. I didn't test. They SHOULD be right...)

The jabs are Attack11, Attack12, and Attack13.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254970

It's imperative that you instead use v0.21 of PSA instead of v1.3, as Doval was using. v1.3 has a habit of corrupting files, so instead just use v0.21 and copy all numbers directly. (If it says the size is 360000, put 360000 in the size parameter for your hitbubble glow).

If you'd like, you should probably use copypaste so that you don't have to go through the arduous process of creating a new event by scratch each time. Toon Link is lucky in that a good chunk of his attacks use the same 4 bones for the hitbubbles, so copypasting might be very good to use.

[5:35:36 AM] Kitamerby: btw
[5:35:41 AM] Kitamerby: the Toon Link boards want to know if you're a vampire
[5:35:48 AM] Kitamerby: Are you a vampire?
[5:36:03 AM] NinjaLink: huh

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Hyro

Smash Lord
ok so whats funnier

the fact that sasuke saucekay locks all the threads and refers the noob here...or the fact that they never DO post here

Kaffei

Smash Hero
ok so whats funnier

the fact that sasuke saucekay locks all the threads and refers the noob here...or the fact that they never DO post here
The fact that they never post here. I mean, they are so dumb to not even know the definition of "INQUIRY THREAD".

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I put a "<- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC " for a reason. >_>;

I'm sure that a noob will come here trying to redirect their fail thread, and then they'll read this conversation and start having second thoughts.

I thought we were here to help.

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know where I can see toon links hit boxes? a lot of the other characters already have vids for it so i figured we should too.

Top Bottom