• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Against Olimar I dont really have any trouble getting back on stage against them. I have only been gimped by olimar once (sad I know).

Getting back on stage against marth is tough...TWink pretty much covered it...try to not use your second jump immediately when trying to get back on Stage.
Oh i have no problem getting to the ledge, a bomb, boomerang, and aerial will get me there easy. It's just getting back on stage from the ledge, they have so many moves that outrange us or punish landings/airdodges and it's pretty foolproof if they time it right. Only thing that works for me is to jump real high, and then I'm just in position to get juggled.

Of course the only olimar and marth I play are the best in new england and take down fatal half the time, so they have it down pretty well

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link is horrible at getting back onstage.

He has a lot of options, but they all suck.

T00N-LiNK

Smash Rookie
oops double post

Hey guys im having trouble KOing with TL! can you tell me his best kill moves and how/when to use them in battle thanks! ^^

Hey guys im having trouble KOing with TL! can you tell me his best kill moves and how/when to use them in battle thanks! ^^
Uair - Use it to poke at enemies that are about a shorthop or fullhop above you. It has strange priority and a long hitbox. It's really good.

Usmash - Save this move for the killing move. It's best to use it while sliding (Hyphen Smash), that way it acts as a short approach. It's safe for using after a Zair.

Utilt - It kills when it isn't stale. Use it unpredictably.

Dsmash - Don't use it unless you're sure that you're gonna hit, and that your opponent is around 150+% It has a lot of ending lag, so don't spam it, since it's really punishable.

Bair, Nair - Use it while fresh. (meaning not stale)

Fair - It has a bit of startup lag, so use it a little bit before, or as you're approaching. I'd use it while rising over platforms.

Dair - Spike? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lets take this to the matchup discussion directory. Sasuke please move all posts pertaining to this to the matchup discussion directory.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Why did you put Link as even?

I used to think Olimar was even and I just was really bad at the match up, but it's so freaking annoying to fight him. >_<
We have to be at a disadvantage.

Maybe you guys could take this to the match up thread if you feel like discussing it and stuff? <3

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey just a few question, is retreating fair a good idea (for the kill I mean) and should utilt be saved for the kill or used to string at low percents, or just get them in the air at mid percents.

You can string utilts together during low percents, because I'm sure that they'll be refreshed by the time you're going for the kill. I'd save Usmash for the kill, since that seems like the better idea. I don't however. Bad habits x_x.

retreating fair depends on the situation. Bairs are better, since they are faster, but if you're going for the kill, I guess fair would be a good choice, assuming the spacing is right.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You can string utilts together during low percents, because I'm sure that they'll be refreshed by the time you're going for the kill. I'd save Usmash for the kill, since that seems like the better idea. I don't however. Bad habits x_x.

retreating fair depends on the situation. Bairs are better, since they are faster, but if you're going for the kill, I guess fair would be a good choice, assuming the spacing is right.
U-tilts is usually the better killing move. From what I found, utilt>upsmash.

Also Fair is slow. Don't use it unless it's obvious your opponent doesn't have the skill to evade it. though it does make for a nice follow-up after a bomb, assuming you are in the proper range.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Dont worry about move staling much. :/ Unless of course ur opponent is at killing percents. Remember TL can refresh kill moves extremely quickly with his proyectiles. Btw Fair is very underrated seriously.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bomber I know fair is slow, but I assumed a retreating fair would be pretty safe, depending on your position I guess.

Fair is a good move. It's a better killing move though. Normally I just use Nair to attack my opponent when he's in front of me, but if I need the range, and I'm in the right spot, I'll just use Fair.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah I was asking if retrating fair was a good killing move, I know nair is better in general combat but thanks anyway.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Do you guys have any kind of social thread?

I would love to know more about the TL players here and where I can go to involve myself into the community. I'm really excited about introducing TL into my tourney-worthy play along with Fox.

Darth Destro

Smash Cadet
Is it just me, or is Dair seriously underrated? Sure, you have to use it at the right time, but it is a great move. Especially in doubles when the enemy has other things to worry about.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or is Dair seriously underrated? Sure, you have to use it at the right time, but it is a great move. Especially in doubles when the enemy has other things to worry about.
I think so too, but if you miss, the consequences are dire.

Darth Destro

Smash Cadet
I think so too, but if you miss, the consequences are dire.
Yes, but many of TL moves are like that. If you position it right it becomes TL best kill move. It is escpecially useful in doubles and 4 player FFA. Anytime your opponent has other things to worry about, you pull a Dair and come down like a lightning bolt.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Dair is great if u use it sparingly and at the right times. For example: using it on a shield after a bair for ultra shield pressure. Using the fast falled controllable dair against an mk thats going to the air to try and upair you ;). oh shi...

P!1

Smash Rookie
is toon link aggressive and offensive?
Depends who you're fighting I think, If you're playing against someone like uhhh Marth? Then it'd be hard to play aggresive and so you'd just camp. While if you're up against someone whose uhh... bad... then by all means, play offensive. It's about balancing and adapting all of TL's styles. Camping. Swordplay. Camping combined with Swordplay. In my opionion anyway. lol.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I was watching some vids and I noticed people were full hopping alot, I was curious as to why people were doing that, I always assumed that would leave you quite open , does it help your bomb game or something.

I've only just become a TL main so I don't really much hence why I' m asking questions like this.

nvus

Smash Cadet
can toon links bomb KO people at 150-ish percent? and who are the top 3 toon link users? (so i can find some videos)

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
^Nope, unless the bomb causes a stage spike or something. Even in sudden death the bomb won't kill anyone onstage.

Top Tinks accorind to the Legit TL rankings are:
1. Chip
2. Jash
3. Jerm
4. Quivo
5. Hyrulian Royalty

I would recommend Jash vids, a couple just recently put up.

Hey guys, my friend mains Toon Link and I'm having a bit of a hard time telling him how to do tilts. He keeps doing the u-air instead of the u-tilt and he does the dash tilt instead of the f-tilt. I keep telling him to do tap it softly but all he does are smashes or air attacks. How do I "clarify" it to him?

Hey guys, my friend mains Toon Link and I'm having a bit of a hard time telling him how to do tilts. He keeps doing the u-air instead of the u-tilt and he does the dash tilt instead of the dash tilt. I keep telling him to do tap it softly but all he does are smashes or air attacks. How do I "clarify" it to him?
Well there are a couple of things wrong with your sentence. I think you meant utilt and usmash.

Tell your friend to push the stick up, and then to hit A. Not both at the same time. One after the other.

UncleSam

Smash Master
and he does the dash tilt instead of the dash tilt.
???
uh, if he uses the cstick set it to attack until he learns. other than that do what TWINK said or tell him not to put the control stick all the way in one direction. that way he won't tap it.

I meant since tap jump is on he does U-air

And he does dash tilt instead of f-tilt, correction :(

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bair is recommended because it it fast and pretty good. so just go with it. If you need to practice using bairs, like running forward and then using it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Bair is recommended because it it fast and pretty good. so just go with it. If you need to practice using bairs, like running forward and then using it.
"pretty good" I would like an elaboration on that. Maybe range or frame comparison? RARing is easy.

Top Bottom