• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

P!1

Smash Rookie
Hey, I need some tips on how to play Toon Link in doubles. My partner is a Pit.
So....Can somebody help? ^^
Ooo, first, careful with your bombs. A stray bomb could wreck his wings. ): Also, Pit has a nice projectile game, so does Toon Link. You can use each other's arrows or rangs to set-up combos for each other. So you have to know your partner's style inside out.

It mostly depends on who you're fighting so can't help you much there.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Both aren't spectacular at killing so you might have a problem there.

You could create a wall of projectiles, but most likely you'll both break off into separate fights.
Don't throw projectiles that could hinder your team, you'll have to work off each other to get kills.

MJG

Smash Hero
Both aren't spectacular at killing so you might have a problem there.

You could create a wall of projectiles, but most likely you'll both break off into separate fights.
Don't throw projectiles that could hinder your team, you'll have to work off each other to get kills.
Pit and toonlink is a iffy team

As Stated above...they are both below average when it comes to killing. So maybe changing your characters or just being able to zone very well would be key

*needs sleep*

i just dont think that they are a good team >.>

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
I'm not a TL main but I'm considering becoming but at the moment I have 2 questions-

1. I noticed TL mains always seem to aim boomerang into the ground, why is that?

2. Do you ever need to press the grab button? I mean can you just airdodge then press A to zair, and just shieldgrab? I'm curious because if I main TL the grab button will most liekly be in an awkward place for me so I'd rather not need to use it.

Thanks i nadvance.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
1. It's mostly to mix things up, since throwing it directly straight all the time gets predicatble and easy to powershield.
Also the boomerang bounces of the ground at an angle, preventing opponents from approaching from the air. Boomerang covers air + arrows cover directly in front + bombs can do anything = strong wall/spam

2. All comes down to personal preference, but I recommend pressing Airdodge+A to Zair, since the Airdodge can catch items (Bananas, bombs, turnips etc) and you're safe before the Zair comes out.

If it's awkward for you, don't use the Z for grab. My Z button is broke, so I have no choice :p

I don't think the Sheik discussion was anywhere near as bad as the Wolf one. I kinda want to contribute more, since I played my friends Sheik in my awesome LAN/Smash party today. He isn't a top level player or anything, but I got even more familiarized with her moveset and how it can be used.

There wasn't a real reason to close the Snake matchup. It was civil as of now. IDK, I feel a rant coming in, but I don't want any infractions. :S

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
(Twink this isn't aimed at you) I don't think it's a good idea to give advice in MU discussion unless you've versed one of the top 5 mains of that opponent , because they're the ones who represent the current metagame.

Otherwise, what you get is what happens on the PT boards, where there's only 5 good ones and the rest of us are scrubs, so the MU discussions are full of incorrect info posted by people who haven't versed top level opponents.

Just my opinion that's all.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
IDK, I feel a rant coming in, but I don't want any infractions. :S
Go for it. I won't infract you.

The Snake one was closed because Sheikant doesn't want to do the matchups anymore.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
What's so funny about my comment lol

I'm just saying it's hard for people who are new to the boards who don't know who the best players are to decipher what information is accurate and what isn't. A good example is when I first came to the PT boards I was mislead into thinking Zard was the best pokemon.

Sorry if it was a stupid post lol.

Darth Destro

Smash Cadet
What are some good cooperative strategys to use with a Pit? My friend likes to main him and we get in team matches alot.

Go for it. I won't infract you.

I think my rant would be infraction worthy. If not, borderline. I would have to tone it down. Still, too risky.
What are some good cooperative strategys to use with a Pit? My friend likes to main him and we get in team matches alot.
Didn't someone just ask this question? Well whatever, I'll answer it again.

Toon Link and Pit are both considered spammy characters, since they both have awesome projectiles. A challenge for you guys would be trying not to hit each other. You're probably gonna trade hits anyways. I would recommend you try to intelligently and cooperatively spam projectiles. For example, the Pit could just spam arrows on the ground, while the Toon Link jumps around and throws bombs.

What would be cool is if you were to bounce TL's projectiles off Pit's reflectors. That would be EPIC!

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Alright serious question: How the hell do you get back onstage vs some characters? Olimar and Marth particularly. Most I'm fine with, but against them I'm just handcuffed each time and take so much damage.

Basically it seems that they can attack at any point and hit us and since they're below and in front we can't hit them, and they can get through any projectiles. I usually airdodge->zair but then they can just block and grab, and a fair or nair is too slow and has too little range. And if I try anything else they just fair or fsmash.

Alright serious question: How the hell do you get back onstage vs some characters? Olimar and Marth particularly. Most I'm fine with, but against them I'm just handcuffed each time and take so much damage.

Basically it seems that they can attack at any point and hit us and since they're below and in front we can't hit them, and they can get through any projectiles. I usually airdodge->zair but then they can just block and grab, and a fair or nair is too slow and has too little range. And if I try anything else they just fair or fsmash.
Against Marff, when I'm on the ledge, I do the jump recovery thing, and air dodge when I get back up. Depending on what happens, I could either bair (assuming he did an Fsmash or something), or do a second jump.

Either that, or try to make him miss a move, and punish it with a Nair or Fair. Actually, try to poke through the stage with a Uair. That's always fun.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If it helps, something you may find useful is that if you do a Ledge Re-grab then instantly do, well anything (ledge jump, ledge attack, hit away then double jump back on, you get it) you actually get extra invincibility frames from the ledge re-grab and this usually helps me get back onstage without getting hurt. The only problem with it is that it's telegraphed (which can also be a good thing because sometimes, they'll know that can't do much and simply back off and let you get up). But it's definitely worth trying every now and then as a mix up.
Hope this helps. Anything you don't quite understand, just ask.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
How popular is TL as a character? It's probably a hard question to answer but I'm just curious.

Ha ha Fox I just realised you're a Sydney boy too, go the Aussies.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
TL isn't a very commonly played character.

MJG

Smash Hero
Against Olimar I dont really have any trouble getting back on stage against them. I have only been gimped by olimar once (sad I know).

Getting back on stage against marth is tough...TWink pretty much covered it...try to not use your second jump immediately when trying to get back on Stage.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
What exactly is bomb camping?

I understand the concept of camping, but apparently you can do it well on the Lylat and Pirate Ship Platforms, so could someone explain what it is specifically.

Also, could someone please post a link to the TL Backroom, I like to get an idea of who the good Tls to listen to are.

Thanks in advance.

UncleSam

Smash Master
What exactly is bomb camping?

I understand the concept of camping, but apparently you can do it well on the Lylat and Pirate Ship Platforms, so could someone explain what it is specifically.
Like abusing platforms to mix up your bomb game, set them, use them for SHDB, ect.

Also, could someone please post a link to the TL Backroom, I like to get an idea of who the good Tls to listen to are.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=1188
Top ten TL group from the rankings, IDK where the backroom went, haven't been here in a while.

Top Bottom