• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

xRikux

Smash Rookie
Instead of using A to pull yourself in I sudgest that you use Z it is much safer and you wont have to worry bout using N-Air and costing you a stock. And you wont have to move your hand away from the Z botton so you can do it instantly =D

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I have a question:

How come we never keep our projectile threads alive?

We always get so much done when they are active but after a while they disappear...

I guess what I'm really asking is: is there a place for that stuff now or are we just neglecting projectile discussion?

Jeeves

Smash Cadet
It seems like whenever I'm playing against my friend (who uses diddy and ice climbers, both two advantages for toon link) he does, like maybe 5 moves and gets me to 40%, but when I do like 20 moves, I can only get him to about 15%. I'm overexaggerating a bit, but once he hits me it seems like I go up like 20% from one move, but can't get any damage on to him, no matter how mindgamey i try to be. Any suggestions as to avoiding damage rack-up on me really fast? I try shielding, and spot dodging, but it doesn't seem to help much :ohwell:

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
IC's attacks quite often do 20% with just one attack lol
TL mainly has the advantage against them because he has the tools to get them separated and keep them that way, but it's still not something to be taken lightly since they can punish really hard (especially if you get grabbed)

I don't see how you feel that way with Diddy though, whenever I play one it feels like I get more damage per hit (mainly because bananas do crap damage). Stand your ground and make it hard for him to gain momentum with his bananas.

You just gotta play smarter... TL doesn't have much weight or KO power, so he has to make up for it by racking up damage quickly while keeping himself safe at the same time

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Do you think you guys or Charizard deserve the title of "easiest to tech chase" for Snake's dthrow?

You attack AWAY then towards, and both rolls are short. We can chain you simply by reacting to what you do quick enough....

but Charizard has a TROLL ROLL but he attacks TOWARDS then away (Troll Roll: his back roll doesn't even roll behind us....) so we can shield and 2 of his options are gone (and we may be able to shield drop > boost grab him if he rolls away)

But of course, you guys are 10x harder to grab in the first place -_-

So do you guys or charizard deserve the spot?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon link has bombs
arrows

and doesn't roll anyway

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Oops, I meant boomerang.

But ok, think what you want. It doesn't really matter since tech chasing isn't something smart TLs have to worry about much

Ughh, this thread needs moar of:

F.A.Q.
(Frequently asked questions)

Q. Question
A. Answer

ect.

:mad::mad:

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Wow, you didn't read what I said.

1) Snake does not have to do anything until the Toon Link does.
2) If the Toon Link has no bomb in hand, or nearby, and no boomerang out. Snake has nothing to worry about
3) Snake can grab you FROM YOUR ROLL (after your invincibility frames are over) with a boost grab.
4) Snake can SHIELD BEFORE YOUR towards hit comes to us. Meaning if we see you attack away, we shield. It powershields, we shieldgrab.
5) If you just getup, you MAY escape if the Snake has a slow reaction speed. Otherwise you get grabbed.

PLEASE tell me how even being SMART will help you avoid this.... no matter how much you mix it up, we ONLY HAVE TO FOLLOW YOU...

EDIT:

I already mentioned that you guys are a ***** to grab. <_< so I know that... lol

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
"2) If the Toon Link has no bomb in hand, or nearby, and no boomerang out. Snake has nothing to worry about"

Have fun finding yourself in this position
that sums it up

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Comparing LINK's ability to TOON LINK's ability to have a bomb out? haha
And boomerangs just add to the fun

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Wow...this thread is dying...
Colorado Cuthroat tomorrow! I will bring home first prize! Believe it! ^^
10****tynarrutoquotes

Gwobo

Smash Rookie
Meh about the Dark Toon Link, I use blue and purple. Dark makes TL look different. It kind of does take away his identity.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
A boomerang wouldn't really help you get out of it unless you wait so that you roll as it's about to come back to you... they could just put a mine on you or something while they're waiting for that

If Snake can somehow grab TL it's a really gay tech-chase game
btw Snake can't tech-chase Charizard, his down b completely takes care of that issue :)

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Hey guys I have a question. I have A LOT of difficulty doing the Bair, fastfall to reverse QD. I think it's called a BBQ. I can do it without the fastfall. But if I fastfall then I always pull out a bomb. I have this problem and I can't ever seem to do it. Can anyone give me suggestions?

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
I main fox but he has some bad matchups so I picked up TOON about 2 months ago and its looking great but to make sure i know what i doing i want to ask these questions

Momentum cancel move?
Move to replenish with?
Moves i can abuse?
Moves safe on block?
Moves avoid using?
Best method of recovery?

I use him to take care of Pikachu, Sheik, and IC's am i wrong?

UncleSam

Smash Master
I main fox but he has some bad matchups so I picked up TOON about 2 months ago and its looking great but to make sure i know what i doing i want to ask these questions

Momentum cancel move? Bair
Move to replenish with? anything spammable
Moves i can abuse? specials, Zair
Moves safe on block?
you mean OoS? then Up-B
Moves avoid using? Dair
Best method of recovery? there is nothing too special about TL's recovery but I tether alot so...

don't abuse Zair too much tho, even though it's great for spacing

TheJerm

Smash Champion

Momentum cancel move? Bair
Move to replenish with? dont really need to. Save upsmash.. everything else will kill.
Moves i can abuse? Everything but upsmash, and upB
Moves safe on block? ?? when they are sheilding. I guess bombs
Moves avoid using? Ftilt maybe
Best method of recovery? Just get back on.. TL has no problem recovering.

Answered in quotes

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord

Momentum cancel move?
Move to replenish with?
Moves i can abuse?
Moves safe on block?
Moves avoid using?
Best method of recovery?

People read my quote i want more toon input from more toon mains

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
OK Rookie :).

Moves to momentum cancel with? Bair. It was recently found that bairing then Double jump + Dairing removes more momentum at the cost of ur double jump. Use it ONLY when u KNOW u will die since having ur second jump is crucial to not getting gimped.

Moves to replenish with? Everything except kill moves. (usmash, upair, fair and fsmash) the latter being very unreliable.

Moves u can abuse? Back air. full hop nairs. Bombs <3. boomerang. Zair and some arrow cancels. Utilt is also very good too.

Moves safe on block? full hop nairs, perfectly spaced zair and bombs.

Moves to avoid using? upB, fsmash and ftilt.

Best method of recovering? always have a bomb in hand and defend urself from attacks with rang. Throw the bomb only if necessary as it can save u from gimps (double upB if u hold it long enough). U can also tether to mix it up.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
U use upB the bomb explodes and u get a second upB. Situational, but its helped me not get gimped a few times. Everytime im sent flying I momentum cancel and immediately pull out a bomb. Good luck and rep the toon well :).

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
U use upB the bomb explodes and u get a second upB. Situational, but its helped me not get gimped a few times. Everytime im sent flying I momentum cancel and immediately pull out a bomb. Good luck and rep the toon well :).
Fair warining...TL is definitely not great against Picachu...You might want a third character for that
O_O Its even dTL. Pika has some trouble with toon link's spacing.
Oh the bomb up-b thing yea i know that, thx tho.

and DTL i have TOON and ROB to fight Pika with.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
How does ROB do?

TLM: I can understand it being even, but I'm just saying that if you're using a character for a bad matchup, you usually want to have one with the advantage.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
u-tilt is good to abuse sometimes, but if you save it it's a pretty good kill move. Faster, safer, and has generally the same knockback throughout its hitbox (as opposed to U-smash which is weaker behind). It kills later though, so camp for 20 seconds longer then use it.

And don't use d-air that much. it's very predictable and easy to avoid. But if you get a good opportunity, it deals good damage, and if you hit with it after the pogo, the timing is usually right so that it ends just as you hit and you can follow up with u-air/b-air.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
How does ROB do?

TLM: I can understand it being even, but I'm just saying that if you're using a character for a bad matchup, you usually want to have one with the advantage.
u-tilt is good to abuse sometimes, but if you save it it's a pretty good kill move. Faster, safer, and has generally the same knockback throughout its hitbox (as opposed to U-smash which is weaker behind). It kills later though, so camp for 20 seconds longer then use it.

And don't use d-air that much. it's very predictable and easy to avoid. But if you get a good opportunity, it deals good damage, and if you hit with it after the pogo, the timing is usually right so that it ends just as you hit and you can follow up with u-air/b-air.
DTL: it's more about knowing pikachu for me, and i know pikachu very well. ROB is good tho.

Copacetic: Thanks

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I'll answer to the best of my ability

Moves to momentum cancel with? Definately Bair. If you do end up learning it, then I'd suggest you pickup the Bair -> Double Jump Dair. I'm still having trouble with this, but others are better at things than I am so it's worth mentioning.

Moves to replenish with? Go wild, mix it up. Something I really love doing. Ftilt has a hitbox behind it, and it's a habit I have but I guess this fits here. like. I don't know why but I like to Ftilt when someone's shielding right beside me, but I Ftilt the opposite direction they are, just incase I'm not in position for a Bair.

Fair -> Nair in a short hop can work since most don't really use Fair much.

I mean. everything works just be creative. In my opinion TL doesn't really have any bad tilts, it's just that aerials do the job better most of the time, but if you want to replenish the aerials, tilts are the way to go. Close combat wise. Not saying go up to your opponent and tilt just to refresh, but it helps.

Moves u can abuse? Bair, Nair, Projectiles, Zair.

Moves safe on block? If you're blocking, and under shield pressure or... stuff, I'd go for that retreating Bair -> B-reversed Quick Draw(Arrow Cancel). Gets you at a safe distance most of the time, and if you aren't predictable with it, stops the attempt to punish your Bair.

Nair works wonders as well in the same way. I personally find Bair more reliable for this though, but you can use retreating Nair -> QD as well.

Retreating Zair is cool beans.

If you have a bomb in your hand, I highly suggest running away and JC throwing or SH Throw.

If they're shielding, Spaced Zairs, projectiles, oh and Fair -> Nair works really nicely. Most people don't really expect it or know that an aerial can come out after the Fair. oh Bair can come out of an Fair as well if you're behind your opponent at this point.

Moves to avoid using? You definately want to avoid using Fsmash often. Unless you know it's for a punish avoid it.

Avoid using UpB as well. It may seem good but all it really does is allow a shield -> Punish.

When you're shielding, Do not pick up the habit of using Utilt OOS. It's a horrible option, and I've developed the habit of doing this. It's easily punished despite what one would think. Go for the option above.

Best method of recovering? Throw stuff, throw whatever you can. Don't use Arrows when recovering though. But basically you throw alot of stuff stopping your opponent from that attempted edgehog.

If you want a different approach, I had an idea I never really used but. You can pull out a bomb, throw the other way, and abuse your Bair for that recovery.

Hope that helped =o

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
I'll answer to the best of my ability

Moves to momentum cancel with? Definately Bair. If you do end up learning it, then I'd suggest you pickup the Bair -> Double Jump Dair. I'm still having trouble with this, but others are better at things than I am so it's worth mentioning.

Moves to replenish with? Go wild, mix it up. Something I really love doing. Ftilt has a hitbox behind it, and it's a habit I have but I guess this fits here. like. I don't know why but I like to Ftilt when someone's shielding right beside me, but I Ftilt the opposite direction they are, just incase I'm not in position for a Bair.

Fair -> Nair in a short hop can work since most don't really use Fair much.

I mean. everything works just be creative. In my opinion TL doesn't really have any bad tilts, it's just that aerials do the job better most of the time, but if you want to replenish the aerials, tilts are the way to go. Close combat wise. Not saying go up to your opponent and tilt just to refresh, but it helps.

Moves u can abuse? Bair, Nair, Projectiles, Zair.

Moves safe on block? If you're blocking, and under shield pressure or... stuff, I'd go for that retreating Bair -> B-reversed Quick Draw(Arrow Cancel). Gets you at a safe distance most of the time, and if you aren't predictable with it, stops the attempt to punish your Bair.

Nair works wonders as well in the same way. I personally find Bair more reliable for this though, but you can use retreating Nair -> QD as well.

Retreating Zair is cool beans.

If you have a bomb in your hand, I highly suggest running away and JC throwing or SH Throw.

If they're shielding, Spaced Zairs, projectiles, oh and Fair -> Nair works really nicely. Most people don't really expect it or know that an aerial can come out after the Fair. oh Bair can come out of an Fair as well if you're behind your opponent at this point.

Moves to avoid using? You definately want to avoid using Fsmash often. Unless you know it's for a punish avoid it.

Avoid using UpB as well. It may seem good but all it really does is allow a shield -> Punish.

When you're shielding, Do not pick up the habit of using Utilt OOS. It's a horrible option, and I've developed the habit of doing this. It's easily punished despite what one would think. Go for the option above.

Best method of recovering? Throw stuff, throw whatever you can. Don't use Arrows when recovering though. But basically you throw alot of stuff stopping your opponent from that attempted edgehog.

If you want a different approach, I had an idea I never really used but. You can pull out a bomb, throw the other way, and abuse your Bair for that recovery.

Hope that helped =o
it did bro and thank you, and thank you to the whole toon link community for helping me, i asked a question in the rob boards and got into an arguement with one of them for asking a question, now i feel like beating his face into the ground, again thank you guys so much

Top Bottom