• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tomafia 4: Game Over - Mafia Wins!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Still doing workplace training so can't dig in deep, but I'd like to quickly argue on the Matunas -> SB Town front.

SB was the only clear, strong town read that Matunas had, unless I missed something. He also grouped myself and SB together when making this read, while making it clear that his read on me was, by contrast, only a lean.

I think it's more than reasonable to assume that SB has a cop-Innocent on him, and I don't see why you're arguing against it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In reply to the Matunas investigation discussion:
-I think Matunas investigating myself or Werekill is entirely plausible. Like Pythag said on day 1, a cop investigating a very active player can be at ease regardless of the result (they know an active player is scum or that they can trust a very active player).
-I haven't read too deep into which player Matunas may have investigated, but I should probably do that.

In regards to the emergent discussion today, it is arguable that a scum player could latch onto that and paint me as the investigated player for gain. Since I am town as **** (grilled <Pi all day day 1, was the first vote on him) and also one of the most contributing players in the game, saying that Matunas investigated me is both entirely plausible and downplay the potential that a different player was investigated and came up as town. Dealing with one obvtown player is easier than dealing with two.
Notable is that following Werekill bringing up Matunas' investigation of me, --- did an adjacent agreement (#429, "Matunas's strong town read on Strong Bad sticks out to me") without going out of his way to directly agree with or quote Werekill's conclusion.

First off, this shouldn't be in anyone's mind. Several people had Null to town lean on SB, including Matunas. The only people that questioned/found him scumm were Pythang and Medi (both died from NKs in that order). If anything, the biggest questionable people were me and tewnlenk. I was making weird plays/questionable approach, while tewn was a bit new and had null reads/decent contribute. Matunas, at the time, believed in the napolitian breadcrumb, and he had no issues with werekill. There's also the dreaded/unfortunate posibility that he investigated pythang that night, but then again, he liked him D1 and ongoing to D2.
As a correction, Mediocre wasn't nightkilled. He was lynched.

No offense SB, while I do consider you great for pushing discussions, and I like your thoughts in the matter, I don't consider you untouchable in this scenario. I know others see you as town, and I at least trust you. I do have one genuine question for you. Being that you're so radient in towniness, is there a reason you feel why you haven't been NKed, seeing as how you push discussions and reads?
Strategically, I think it makes most sense for endgame to include one of me or Werekill. In that event, the scum has two outs:
1. See if me/Werekill come to the incorrect conclusion on our own
2. Convince the other player that Werekill and me have been playing aggressively and driving lynches as scum.

In addition, until Matunas died a Town Jailkeeper was possible. If that were in play, Werekill and I were likely candidates for a night action. Could scum that began in a 1v6 afford a successful Jailkeep? I think they'd hope to avoid it.

I like the explanation on the ---, but can you give me more information on why you feel werekill is town as a whole? He's been fairly aggressive on his medi play as well as previous stances/view points on things
I think my large post gets most of it. If Werekill is <Pi's scumbuddy, why would he begin RVS with a vote on --- and have <Pi react so poorly? I cannot believe that <Pi would have reacted that way to his fellow scum beginning RVS. Wouldn't it be better for <Pi to also participate in RVS after waiting for someone else to throw down a random vote? And in addition, he basically didn't let up on <Pi throughout the day. I just really don't see Werekill doing that. Werekill has played aggressively and from my point of view the Werekill vs Mediocre 1v1 was Town v Town. I know he's rubbed you the wrong way by going after you for a few things but I think he's obvtown for those reasons.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Still doing workplace training so can't dig in deep, but I'd like to quickly argue on the Matunas -> SB Town front.

SB was the only clear, strong town read that Matunas had, unless I missed something. He also grouped myself and SB together when making this read, while making it clear that his read on me was, by contrast, only a lean.

I think it's more than reasonable to assume that SB has a cop-Innocent on him, and I don't see why you're arguing against it.
Mainly because I don't like assuming stuff off the bat, especially since, again, next Day (if we don't hit scum toDay) will be a lylo situation, and I want to avoid that scenario.

Matunas has a town read on him, not strong. If it was to confirm whether SB was really town or not, that's fine (especially on D2), but I'm still under the guise that it's possible someone else (not ---) was investigated N1. If we really were to go with the guise on N1 that he went after SB, then are we to assume that he felt me and tewn were not scummy at all and thus didn't need an investigation?

Honestly, I can see him going after SB if he litterally thought no one else was scummy in the slightest, which I find doubtful considering how he was there to vote for medi.

In reply to the Matunas investigation discussion:
-I think Matunas investigating myself or Werekill is entirely plausible. Like Pythag said on day 1, a cop investigating a very active player can be at ease regardless of the result (they know an active player is scum or that they can trust a very active player).
-I haven't read too deep into which player Matunas may have investigated, but I should probably do that.
Yes, if they choose to go that route. It's been said that Day 1 doesn't usually net a lot of info, so having something to work with D2 and onwards would be something for him to have. But then, playing as cop, they can choose whatever playstyles and investigations they want. I'm just thinking it'd be weird to try and confirm a townie when one could look for other people to investigate, especially how you noted on the three of you (you, werekill, and tewnlenk) not being a scumbuddy to pi. Like I said, just looking at it from another angle instead of assuming.

In regards to the emergent discussion today, it is arguable that a scum player could latch onto that and paint me as the investigated player for gain. Since I am town as **** (grilled <Pi all day day 1, was the first vote on him) and also one of the most contributing players in the game, saying that Matunas investigated me is both entirely plausible and downplay the potential that a different player was investigated and came up as town. Dealing with one obvtown player is easier than dealing with two.
Hmmm, I see I see

As a correction, Mediocre wasn't nightkilled. He was lynched.
bleh, sorry for that. I should've just said 'died in that order' x.x;;

Strategically, I think it makes most sense for endgame to include one of me or Werekill. In that event, the scum has two outs:
1. See if me/Werekill come to the incorrect conclusion on our own
2. Convince the other player that Werekill and me have been playing aggressively and driving lynches as scum.

In addition, until Matunas died a Town Jailkeeper was possible. If that were in play, Werekill and I were likely candidates for a night action. Could scum that began in a 1v6 afford a successful Jailkeep? I think they'd hope to avoid it.
That didn't answer my question at all, but thank you =/

I think my large post gets most of it. If Werekill is <Pi's scumbuddy, why would he begin RVS with a vote on --- and have <Pi react so poorly? I cannot believe that <Pi would have reacted that way to his fellow scum beginning RVS. Wouldn't it be better for <Pi to also participate in RVS after waiting for someone else to throw down a random vote? And in addition, he basically didn't let up on <Pi throughout the day. I just really don't see Werekill doing that. Werekill has played aggressively and from my point of view the Werekill vs Mediocre 1v1 was Town v Town. I know he's rubbed you the wrong way by going after you for a few things but I think he's obvtown for those reasons.
This didn't quite answer my question either, but I'm more of wondering like, as a whole, what do you find townie about werekill? what about his aggressive play makes him townie in your eyes. Please explain it to me less in regards of his playstyle, and more of key note worthy things that makes him town, as I obviously haven't played with him.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That didn't answer my question at all, but thank you =/
I gave a couple reasons why nightkilling me would have been disadvantageous for scum (leaving active players around in hopes that they can drive an erroneous lynch on a different player, fearing a Town Jailkeeper). I'm not sure I follow.

This didn't quite answer my question either, but I'm more of wondering like, as a whole, what do you find townie about werekill? what about his aggressive play makes him townie in your eyes. Please explain it to me less in regards of his playstyle, and more of key note worthy things that makes him town, as I obviously haven't played with him.
Similarly here I think I sufficiently answered the question... I didn't say that his aggressiveness made him townie, but his aggression reads as part of his playstyle. You could argue that his play reads as genuine scumhunting, though.

Like I said in my post, Werekill is obvtown for a couple key reasons.

1: Werekill and <Pi dynamic at the start of the game
Werekill voted --- as the first vote of the game as RVS
<Pi reacted to the above very unfavorably.
Why would scumbuddies do this? If <Pi knows that Werekill is voting for a townie, why draw attention to himself with invalid friction to RVS that experienced players are likely to go after?

2: Consistently against <Pi throughout Day 1.
Werekill shifted his vote around a few times to get people talking, but he was consistently gunning for <Pi and replying to his posts. Notably after #144 he started grilling --- for his Night PM/breadcrumbing stuff.

The story of Werekill and <Pi collaborating Day 1 would read to me as a serious bus on Werekill's part. I can't resolve it any other way and I think that'd be a horrendous play on Scum's part. If they were scumbuddies, <Pi had so many other strategies that wouldn't have made him a clear lynch target D1, and he and Werekill would have had time in night 0 PMs to plan their strategy.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
That's the thing, IMO he structured it so he could abandon the claim based on day 1 discussion if he needed to. We all concluded he was just shrugging off RVS votes with his choco/strawberry comments. It wasn't until #144 that he brought it up, and if he hadn't it's likely we wouldn't have seen it until day 3 or later when he could have played it off like he has. At that point he could have done this for two reasons:
1. Shift conversation away from <Pi lynch. This happened briefly but by #175 I had gotten back to the <Pi situation.
2. Concluding that his sumbuddy would be lynched, he could have decided that he needed to make an unconventional longterm play to introduce enough variance to make the impending 1v6 possible to win. It could have backfired, but winning as scum when town successfully lynched scum day 1 is already very tough. The "risk" isn't that high since the chance of victory was so small already.
And frankly I don't find scum claiming vanilla townie to be uncommon at all. While I don't participate in forum Mafia much, it happens constantly in the countless in-person Mafia or Werewolf games I've played. Does this just not happen in forum Mafia in your experience, Lore Lore ?
After considering it more, vanilla townie claims in particular on day 1 by an actual townie is bad for town (if true, it narrows down night kill pool for scum), usually making this scummy behavior. I think there's a ton of WIFOM in trying to, at face value, determine if --- is scum or town based exclusively on the claim itself. However, with all of the additional context in ---'s posts that I've reasoned through in my large post, I really think he's just scum.

Congrats, you just did the first argument where I could see Scum making the Claim gambit. The number 2 point seems most likely if --- is scum; number 1 would be bad play due to drawing attention from scum to scum, if that makes sense.

I still think it would be an odd gambit for scum to take, though, especially when the reasonable response would have been to draw less attention to themselves as the other scum partner. If this was a Scum play, it was a pretty weird one.

As for Scum claiming townie, it's less that claiming vanilla is weird, more that claiming that early would be weird.

I'm still chewing on your other reasoning for ---, but I don't think my read is too affected. The point you brought up about --- D3 re: Matunas is most valid, however. I'm finding myself wavering on my read with that alone, and I really want to see --- respond to it.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Do I have to respond to any of Rockin's stuff here? Reading it more, it feels like a pile of WIFOM, poor reasoning, and gut feelings over hard reads.

Not to mention throwing doubt on a cop-Innocent when it's pretty clear Matunas had a strong town read on SB compared to everyone else in the game. Quoted and bolded for empasis:

Strong Badam Strong Badam You made the initial push toward <pi and presented a strong case, sticking to it through out the day. Between you and Werekill I have you as a strong town read right now, with Werekill as a likely town. To make it straight forward about my vote, I hammered because it was a clear desperate attempt to muddle up the final moments of D1. If anyone had unvoted because of the claim, or if <pi was fishing for a PR, it could have caused problems. I had already stated my intent earlier, and in that moment - with less than 30 minutes of day left, I felt it was the right choice.[/QUOTE]

He made sure to make it distinct that his read on SB was a Strong read while his read on me was just "likely." This was the only Strong Town read he gave all day. If that doesn't scream cop-innocent, I don't know what does.

If anyone wants me to reply to a specific point, quote it and ask me it. Until then, I see no reason to dive into that pile.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
****ed up the quote tag, here's the actual quote and post:

Strong Badam Strong Badam You made the initial push toward <pi and presented a strong case, sticking to it through out the day. Between you and Werekill I have you as a strong town read right now, with Werekill as a likely town. To make it straight forward about my vote, I hammered because it was a clear desperate attempt to muddle up the final moments of D1. If anyone had unvoted because of the claim, or if <pi was fishing for a PR, it could have caused problems. I had already stated my intent earlier, and in that moment - with less than 30 minutes of day left, I felt it was the right choice.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Do I have to respond to any of Rockin's stuff here? Reading it more, it feels like a pile of WIFOM, poor reasoning, and gut feelings over hard reads.

____

If anyone wants me to reply to a specific point, quote it and ask me it. Until then, I see no reason to dive into that pile.
Rockin's post comes across as a statement of his opinions and not a demand for a response on your part. I think you've given your reasonings for most of the things he quoted about you, and was more or less quoting them just to give his reasoning structure.

I find this condescending characterization of his argumentation unnecessary. His gut feelings may be all he has, and given most of the remaining players tend to give logical arguments for our reads it could be good insight that we're missing. He's being honest about them as well when his reads don't have logical reasoning behind them. I'm giving Rockin the benefit of the doubt here since he's been very consistent. But like I said, if it's LyLo and Rockin is around, I think he's probably our best bet.

I'm not sure if there's too much value in further discussing things atm until TewnLeenk TewnLeenk and most importantly --- --- weigh in. I know that the latter was reading this thread after my long post, so I'm expecting a reply sometime today.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Rockin's post comes across as a statement of his opinions and not a demand for a response on your part. I think you've given your reasonings for most of the things he quoted about you, and was more or less quoting them just to give his reasoning structure.

I find this condescending characterization of his argumentation unnecessary. His gut feelings may be all he has, and given most of the remaining players tend to give logical arguments for our reads it could be good insight that we're missing. He's being honest about them as well when his reads don't have logical reasoning behind them. I'm giving Rockin the benefit of the doubt here since he's been very consistent. But like I said, if it's LyLo and Rockin is around, I think he's probably our best bet.

I'm not sure if there's too much value in further discussing things atm until TewnLeenk TewnLeenk and most importantly --- --- weigh in. I know that the latter was reading this thread after my long post, so I'm expecting a reply sometime today.
Fair, I'll refrain from responding unless needed.

I will also say that the characterization was not meant to be condescending. It was summarizing my feelings on the posts as a whole, which is admittedly biased by my scum read on Rockin.

From my perspective, the posts felt like a scum player putting on WIFOM, loose reasonings, and gut feelings to push a lynch they had been trying to set up since D1.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Hooray for Wifi :b:

Anyway I'll keep this brief (sorry again).

Strong Bad's massive post on --- was quite compelling. I'll have to read it again but from what I saw earlier, I'm inclined to agree with him there.

I'm still fully on the "Strong Bad and Werekill are Town" train.

Rockin's reasoning earlier helped me understand them a bit more and what they're thinking in regards to the game. I still have them on my lynch list just because I've been so confident in SB and WK all game. They haven't shown me any reason to doubt them so far, whereas Rockin and --- have had little things come up here and there as the game has been going on.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
From my perspective, the posts felt like a scum player putting on WIFOM, loose reasonings, and gut feelings to push a lynch they had been trying to set up since D1.
I just don't see someone doing this as scum. Why would scum push a lynch that no one else is pushing for the whole game? I think this consistency would make him stand out, instead of blending in with the town. We're getting into scum motivations a lot (like you feeling that --- has little reason to roleclaim vanilla townie as scum), and I think we may have to agree to disagree.

In this game, scum has already made bad plays, which led to <Pi's D1 lynch. What I'm trying to discern is if the misplays required for a player to be scum lines up with the rest of their play in the game and their playstyle. I find Rockin's to be pretty consistent and in-character, while ---'s are harder to read given his cordial/noncommittal style and low activity.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And I maintain that in any PvP game a bad play can succeed, in part because of it being unexpected. I don't think we should entirely disregard the possibility if it's the only scenario that makes sense given the rest of the context of the game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Interestingly enough, the only remaining player that WASN'T on the lynch wagon D1 was --- voting for Rockin. In and of itself, this isn’t alignment indicative, but it is weird that he never mentioned ’s vote count despite posting while he was at L-1. --- also was on the Mediocre wagon Day 2 as the second vote, after he himself had reached L-1!
What does L-1 mean? Lynch 1?

’s roleclaim stuff is weird, has always been weird, etc. It’s been a sticking point the whole game to me for a variety of reasons and I’d like to see where everyone stands after I go through it with a fine-toothed comb. The roleclaim stuff is actually his very first posts of substance in the thread. I think the roleclaim stuff is at the heart of the issue, and most other things about --- stem from it. If --- (or bystanders) are able to convince players that the roleclaim was genuine, most else about ---’s play this game is easy to conclude as towny of not alignment-indicative. The main thing though is that there’s an unshakeable association that --- and have with each other from the very beginning phases of the game.

At the beginning of the game, Werekill voted ---. 's reaction is what ultimately sealed his fate. Following this reaction to RVS, he never said jack **** about --- outside of a town read in #153/ #190, until #221 and #243 when he was already at hammer status (this flailing tends to be full of WIFOM, so I won't try to actually read something, but it is notable that there is little mention of --- throughout the day). What I’d like you to ask yourselves is: do we think would have reacted that way to a vote on a townie?

Let’s take a closer look at the interactions from Day 1. Here’s what my re-read got me.

March 27th
#47 chocolate
#64 strawberry
#110 Vanilla
#130 Votes Mediocre
-This is just RVS stuff.
March 28th

Was --- ever truly “active”? He had posted a few times, but with little substance. Worth noting is that prior to this post, no one had said anything regarding posts #47 #64 #110 as being indicative of his role. I’d say it’s possible that --- brought up his clues and night PMs to force the playerbase to think of a roleclaim on his part.
Why would I attempt to go out of my way to correct you if my goal was to force players to role claim on my behalf?

--- more or less prompts the field of players to search his posts for clues (once again after #144, following most of the players being more concerned about Night PMs talk), and since he’s made like 8 of them with 0 readlists at this point, it’s easy for anyone to find the intended clues. He claims his strategy is to be blunt, but he refuses to elaborate on what role he is claiming until another person does so. (Werekill in #162).

There’s a pretty big gap here where he’s answering questions that aren’t that important (like what his mafia experience is). He acts very cordially and does not create conflict. While this is going on, ’s vote count skyrockets from 1 to 4 between post #176 and #209. --- had posted in post #181 after only one vote on had dropped (with the mafia experience reply), but other then that does not participate.
Most of Day 1 I was operating under the assumption that Night PMs were apart of regular mafia, and as such, showing one's hand completely would not be helpful until Night where you can barter for info/is where most detective work happens. That said, I made a mistake.
Then:

This is ---’s first scumlean list. This is after ’s at hammer range, but he asks for more reads. ---’s list is mostly nulls with scumleans on and Rockin and a very slight lean on TewnLeenk. He also “corrects” my read of his breadcrumb in #162. This correction is performed after it’s clear that is getting lynched, he had been at L-1 since #209. Why didn’t he do this in post #164 or #181? And in none of these 3 posts does he comment on the status of ’s vote count.
In this post, he also refers to ’s Mafia win brag that happened earlier in the game (#74), which hadn’t been referred to in quite a while. It seems odd to me to bring it up over 100 posts later.
For his next post, we need ’s post #221 since --- directly replied to it.

Noteworthy is that is at L-1 here when he does this, pretty soon after #217.

“I would be of better service to town in being as upfront as possible”
If --- finds himself most useful by being “as upfront as possible,” why not directly claim vanilla townie then?
It’s possible that this is a bit of a disconnected setup for scumbuddies since at this point it’s really clear that is going to be lynched. can ask questions to the field or to ---, allowing him reign to discuss what he wants to prior to the day coming to a close. Between #217, #221, #228, this isn’t too farfetched.
I would argue there is a greater disconnect than you're making out. I had already attempted to correct your Neapolitan claim despite <Pi continuing to push it themselves. Additionally I never properly responded to his dying posts where they attempted to give me a chance to further explain myself.

Following pressure from Matunas, --- Claims Vanilla Townie in #279:

Why repeatedly mention being upfront and blunt D1, be vague when it actually comes to your role D1, then immediately roleclaim Vanilla at the start of Day 2? After Town Tracker/Mafia Rolecop are revealed, it’s known that Neapolitan is not a possible role, allowing a pivot to Vanilla Townie. In either case, “vanilla townie” is a safe claim for scum to make because there are 5. At the point where --- actually prodded the player group toward “vanilla townie,” it was when was obviously being lynched (as reasoned above)

His response to my post #316 in post #358 was not satisfactory to me, either.

--- drops breadcrumbs on his roleclaim and tells people to check his clues. Then he gets into arguments over the correct interpretation of his clues. In conjunction with the repeated statements about being blunt and upfront, this feels really wrong to me. Why would you even mention chocolate and strawberry in the first place if you always wanted to claim Vanilla townie? Which of us is truly wordsmithing here? I still don’t believe your logic as to why you weren’t claiming Neapolitan, the “chocolate” phrasing is indeed about you here, contrary to your reasoning. I can’t resolve this behavior with anything other than your being scum.
Neapolitan isn't a role I had seen/heard of in prior games. That aside I felt my worthsmithing was much more clear given the context, especially after I directly referred to myself in my last breadcrumb.

Why did you scumlean Matunas for participating in RVS...? Several others did that Day 1 around that time. You voted Mediocre only 3 posts before he voted for Rockin. Your wording is “opportunistic,” even, it’s similar to how reacted to myself and Werekill. This is off to me.
Mostly given the rapid changes in his responses. It stood out a bit more for me than some of the other RVSs like Werekill's which felt less serious.

Opportunistic is probably a word I picked up while re-reading Day 1 posts not unlike your #post formatting.

In addition, why reply to ’s flailing? This is just invalid WIFOM about ’s scum motives when he has little reason to grant Town anything useful while at L-1 and isn’t in a position to hurt Town significantly. Your links to posts don't really conclude anything either. They're riddled with caveats which reads as trying to not push an agenda while still bringing it up in case someone latches on. What's up with that?
I didn't think at the time that it wouldn't be too farfetched that a scum member would group their partner in with a mix of townies, especially since they seemed insistent by having posted it twice. With Pythag dead and myself being town, that leaves onto Matunas (and to a lesser extent TL/Mediocre as they were left off).

In #401 --- sets himself up as a player who has a scumread on both Mediocre and Matunas. Since the Mediocre wagon had already begun via Werekill, voting Matunas wouldn’t have accomplished much.
Pretty much, especially since Mediocre wasn't taking a stance on anyone and was resorting to emotional responses to Werekill's replies.

DAY 3

In both #427 and #429 following Mediocre/Matunas flipping town, he is quick to reference his proposed 50/50 in #401.

Why bring up your own post as a reason for our Town Cop being targeted...?
There's an argument to be made for why you'd set up Matunas as your scumlean then night kill him.
Mostly out of surprise and the overall confusion regarding Pythag having been targeted on Day 1. Mediocre had leaned on Pythag's town lean for his defense and part of that helped start Werekill's bandwagon. Bringing it help as a theory I figured would help keep the town focused.

What argument would their be for me setting up/killing Matunas? Unlike Pythag's town read on Mediocre, Matunas at best had me as a null read. What benefit would there be to me killing them at Night after pushing for a 50/50 cop/jailkeeper between the two of us? Such a move only brings more attention to myself upon being the only survivor. And should I had continued to push for a Matunas lynch Day 3 and they came up clean, that would not benefit me going into Day 4.

More or less, uncertainty and null reads have been the name of the game for you. No one can claim that you're setting up subsequent lynches after the townie role flip if you do it like this and wait around for a target to surface from the more active players like myself and Werekill.
Some WIFOM to this, but given all the other context I think you’re playing a very cordial, non-confrontational, and “cautious” game while you allow the game state to progress to a point where other players become lynch targets.
I'm not sure what you mean by null reads, as after Day 1, bar Mediocre's non-committal playstyle, I've been moving away from nulls overall.

I think I'm cautious in my evaluations, but that's definitely the opposite of how I've played the game so far. Breadcrumbing, correcting, directly role claiming, and calling for narrowing down a group of three, are antithetical in some regard in your evaluation.

You’ve been careful to bring up seemingly normal things about other players who aren’t on the chopping block as if they are questionable, without enough conviction for people to call you out on it but with enough for people to think that way. Provided you’re scum, you’re also careful to do this with players you plan to night kill, making yourself “wrong” when you never communicated that you were sure to begin.
Re-reading and asking players for clarification? I'm not sure what makes that scummy? It's one of the main reasons I committed to a Mediocre vote rather than a Matunas vote Day 2.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I just don't see someone doing this as scum. Why would scum push a lynch that no one else is pushing for the whole game? I think this consistency would make him stand out, instead of blending in with the town. We're getting into scum motivations a lot (like you feeling that --- has little reason to roleclaim vanilla townie as scum), and I think we may have to agree to disagree.

In this game, scum has already made bad plays, which led to <Pi's D1 lynch. What I'm trying to discern is if the misplays required for a player to be scum lines up with the rest of their play in the game and their playstyle. I find Rockin's to be pretty consistent and in-character, while ---'s are harder to read given his cordial/noncommittal style and low activity.
And I maintain that in any PvP game a bad play can succeed, in part because of it being unexpected. I don't think we should entirely disregard the possibility if it's the only scenario that makes sense given the rest of the context of the game.

Yeah the scum motivation stuff has kinda turned into an agree to disagree situation. I'm pretty clearly biased by my Rockin scum read, I'll be fair and admit that.

Your point about bad plays in PvP games succeeding is pretty legit, though. It's still not enough to shake my read (it's turning a bit too WIFOM for my tastes), but I'm even more interested to see what comes of ---'s interactions toDay.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I gave a couple reasons why nightkilling me would have been disadvantageous for scum (leaving active players around in hopes that they can drive an erroneous lynch on a different player, fearing a Town Jailkeeper). I'm not sure I follow.
Was asking mostly as a player in general and not in regards of possible PRness, but I feel the question in particular no longer holds a lot of value (not to mention I don't want to press something that's more of a genuine curiosity).

Similarly here I think I sufficiently answered the question... I didn't say that his aggressiveness made him townie, but his aggression reads as part of his playstyle. You could argue that his play reads as genuine scumhunting, though.

Like I said in my post, Werekill is obvtown for a couple key reasons.

1: Werekill and <Pi dynamic at the start of the game
Werekill voted --- as the first vote of the game as RVS
<Pi reacted to the above very unfavorably.
Why would scumbuddies do this? If <Pi knows that Werekill is voting for a townie, why draw attention to himself with invalid friction to RVS that experienced players are likely to go after?

2: Consistently against <Pi throughout Day 1.
Werekill shifted his vote around a few times to get people talking, but he was consistently gunning for <Pi and replying to his posts. Notably after #144 he started grilling --- for his Night PM/breadcrumbing stuff.

The story of Werekill and <Pi collaborating Day 1 would read to me as a serious bus on Werekill's part. I can't resolve it any other way and I think that'd be a horrendous play on Scum's part. If they were scumbuddies, <Pi had so many other strategies that wouldn't have made him a clear lynch target D1, and he and Werekill would have had time in night 0 PMs to plan their strategy.
This response looks a bit better. Sorry for making you go into detail, but the last response a bit more 'ifs' and 'why's' to it. I appriciate the co-operation.

He made sure to make it distinct that his read on SB was a Strong read while his read on me was just "likely." This was the only Strong Town read he gave all day. If that doesn't scream cop-innocent, I don't know what does.

I've seen and been in games where 'strong' just meant they were that confident in it (i don't remember any of them being cops or some investigation roles, but I could be wrong), so I didn't think about the 'strong' part. Still, with that said, I'm more willing to think that matunas got the investigate, but I'm still opening up to possibilities.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I've seen and been in games where 'strong' just meant they were that confident in it (i don't remember any of them being cops or some investigation roles, but I could be wrong), so I didn't think about the 'strong' part. Still, with that said, I'm more willing to think that matunas got the investigate, but I'm still opening up to possibilities.
This answer is a bit more understandable, but I'd like to be fair to you and say that it doesn't shift my read much.

At minimum it does help wipe the "why the heck is he against a Cop-Innocent" bit though, so thanks.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What does L-1 mean? Lynch 1?
Yes.
Why would I attempt to go out of my way to correct you if my goal was to force players to role claim on my behalf?
I would argue there is a greater disconnect than you're making out. I had already attempted to correct your Neapolitan claim despite <Pi continuing to push it themselves. Additionally I never properly responded to his dying posts where they attempted to give me a chance to further explain myself.
That's the thing, it wasn't until #217 that you corrected me. In #163 is when I deduced your breadcrumb as Neapolitan. You replied 2 minutes later without correcting me. It's possible you hadn't seen my post, but if it were important to correct me, why not then after a page reload? Following that, you posted over 4 hours later in #181 in reply to Mediocre's read but still don't find it pertinent enough to correct my deduction of your breadcrumb despite Werekill and others agreeing with my deduction. What was going on in the thread other than this is that I voted for <Pi in #176. Between #181 and #217, <Pi had reached L-1. I'm just really curious why you felt it was important to correct me, but waited nearly a full 24 hours to correct it?
Neapolitan isn't a role I had seen/heard of in prior games. That aside I felt my worthsmithing was much more clear given the context, especially after I directly referred to myself in my last breadcrumb.
This is not satisfactory to me. I'll leave it at that.

Mostly given the rapid changes in his responses. It stood out a bit more for me than some of the other RVSs like Werekill's which felt less serious.

Opportunistic is probably a word I picked up while re-reading Day 1 posts not unlike your #post formatting.
This is not compelling to me. His vote on TewnLeenk was due to him being inactive and a newer player. His vote on Rockin was due to a clerical error, he subsequently unvoted after being called on it.

What argument would their be for me setting up/killing Matunas? Unlike Pythag's town read on Mediocre, Matunas at best had me as a null read. What benefit would there be to me killing them at Night after pushing for a 50/50 cop/jailkeeper between the two of us? Such a move only brings more attention to myself upon being the only survivor. And should I had continued to push for a Matunas lynch Day 3 and they came up clean, that would not benefit me going into Day 4.
Why do you quote the very start of my reasoning for why you would kill Matunas, not quote the rest, and then ask me why you would do it as scum? That sentence and what follows are part of the same reasoning. I have laid out my reasonings for your motivations on this already.
Re-reading and asking players for clarification? I'm not sure what makes that scummy? It's one of the main reasons I committed to a Mediocre vote rather than a Matunas vote Day 2.
You're misrepresenting my argument. What I communicated is that you frequently bring up things that end up being non-issues without actually concluding something from it, yet still including it in your readlist reasoning for that player. You also don't always ask for clarification. This could be interpreted as active lurking, or seeming like you're contributing, but you're really not saying much. It also opens the possibility of a different player taking a closer look at it and then concluding something, without you getting the "credit" for pointing it out.
By itself, it's not scummy. However, given the other reasoning for why I think you're scum, I think it lines up pretty well and is very in line with your playstyle.

Most of the rest of your post, I'm sorry to say is just not very satisfactory. Most of the quote replies do not add anything to what I said, or say something inconsequential without sufficiently refuting what I said.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's the thing, it wasn't until #217 that you corrected me. In #163 is when I deduced your breadcrumb as Neapolitan. You replied 2 minutes later without correcting me. It's possible you hadn't seen my post, but if it were important to correct me, why not then after a page reload? Following that, you posted over 4 hours later in #181 in reply to Mediocre's read but still don't find it pertinent enough to correct my deduction of your breadcrumb despite Werekill and others agreeing with my deduction. What was going on in the thread other than this is that I voted for <Pi in #176. Between #181 and #217, <Pi had reached L-1. I'm just really curious why you felt it was important to correct me, but waited nearly a full 24 hours to correct it?
FWIW --- even quoted my reasoning/questioning on this exact issue in post #493 and just didn't reply to it at all.

He mostly replies to the second half of the quote, ignoring the first half. Why did you do this?

For correction's sake, my deduction of the breadcrumb is in post #163, not #162.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I know we've been quiet in hopes of --- and tewn responding, but we have till tomorrow to plan out who we want to lynch.

so what's going to be the plan here?

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
I'm sorry, I'm still traveling and mostly running on wifi on my phone. My activity will be pretty low for a few days.

I'm still between Rockin or ---

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I know we've been quiet in hopes of --- and tewn responding, but we have till tomorrow to plan out who we want to lynch.

I was hoping to give --- a chance to respond, particularly since I feel his reply did not really respond to the meat and potatoes of my accusation, but we haven't heard anything from him in a while. I have seen him online a couple times since those posts but he may not have had time to reply in those instances.

I know who I'm voting, so I don't mind dropping my vote. I don't see myself changing my mind between now and the deadline. I'll be around tomorrow afternoon to contribute. Please feel free to tag me with any further questions about my perspective.

Vote: ---

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

Ah crap, didn't realize deadline was that soon.

I've said my piece on you, and it's pretty clear that I feel that you are the scummier between you and - - -, no offense. We've gone pretty in depth 1v1, and there's not much else to be said.

I'm still leaning - - - town, though. Yes the claim could have been a strange gambit to win through an unconventional method, and yes, it was a "bad" play. But the way they went about it just doesn't seem like it has scum benefit.

Yeah it could have been an unconventional play to distract from <pi and increase their odds of winning, but if they are scum, what was their end game? They draw attention to themselves, greatly risk a cop and/or jail keeper action (or tracker) on them, and keep themselves as a discussion topic for the rest of the game?

Like yeah, it could be a "bad" play that wasn't properly calculated by Scum - - -. But if they were going for an unconventional play to increase their 1v6, wouldn't they have thought through it more? Wouldn't they have hit the same point I'm hitting now, where it looks like the cons for scum out weigh the gains? Especially in a game where (assuming Scum - - -) it's looking like they'd be without a partner D2-the rest?

I'm sorry SB, but I'm still not seeing the scum reasoning behind a claim like that. Your other reasoning is sound, but I won't support lynching based on the claim.

Plus compare them to Rockin. - - -, when active, has given clear, precise reads with detailed thoughts, unless I misunderstood or am misremembering your breakdown.

Now contrast that with Rockin, who has consistently given vague reasoning without much ground underneath it. Yeah - - - pushed Matunas, but at least they didn't push mostly on "gut" reads later in the game (unless I'm misremembering the Matunas case).

Between that and the WIFOM explorations of Rockin, I find Rockin to be the scummier of the two. That's my belief, and I am sticking to it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm still leaning - - - town, though. Yes the claim could have been a strange gambit to win through an unconventional method, and yes, it was a "bad" play. But the way they went about it just doesn't seem like it has scum benefit.

Yeah it could have been an unconventional play to distract from <pi and increase their odds of winning, but if they are scum, what was their end game? They draw attention to themselves, greatly risk a cop and/or jail keeper action (or tracker) on them, and keep themselves as a discussion topic for the rest of the game?

Like yeah, it could be a "bad" play that wasn't properly calculated by Scum - - -. But if they were going for an unconventional play to increase their 1v6, wouldn't they have thought through it more? Wouldn't they have hit the same point I'm hitting now, where it looks like the cons for scum out weigh the gains? Especially in a game where (assuming Scum - - -) it's looking like they'd be without a partner D2-the rest?

I'm sorry SB, but I'm still not seeing the scum reasoning behind a claim like that. Your other reasoning is sound, but I won't support lynching based on the claim.
It's not just the claim dude. It's how it was done. Why mention chocolate and strawberry on the way to a vanilla townie claim? Why communicate that he's trying to be upfront and blunt and then not be clear about things? Why find it important enough to correct the deduction of his breadcrumb to Vanilla instead of Neapolitan, but not until nearly 24 hours later and with 2 posts of his own between the two cases? (need I explain <Pi getting 4 votes on him between those two points in time again?)

And... why didn't he find this reasoning important enough to respond to, while responding to several other things in my post with what I feel are non-answers?

Plus compare them to Rockin. - - -, when active, has given clear, precise reads with detailed thoughts, unless I misunderstood or am misremembering your breakdown.
I didn't generally find this to be true about ---'s (few) read lists. They are frequently peppered with uncertainty, and he mentions his inexperience at mafia while giving them. He also has at multiple points in his read lists brought up posts that weren't weird, no one else found weird (most of which on players that flipped town, but he did bring up a few <Pi posts that were most certainly not the reason he was lynched) and then doesn't even conclude anything from them (I specifically recall a time where he brought up something and then said he wasn't experienced enough to read into it). I'm on mobile or I'd track them down.
I get the feeling that his read lists are generally many words that say very little, and most of the substance is things others have said about the player in question. I urge you to reread his posts from start to finish and see if you still feel the same way. If you find evidence to that supports either of our positions, write down the post numbers and share them.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think all that can be explained as bad Townie play, but then I'm diving into the same endless pit of speculation.

I'll do what you said and do a reread, but I can't promise that it will change my mind. I'll still try to be as fair as possible and try to see it from your viewpoint.

(actually going to bed now lol)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It comes down to a couple things, the big one being that I thought it was trivial given WK correctly guessed and that I thought Night PMs were still a thing, where I was planning on claiming anyway to barter for info. By the time I corrected you I had realized my mistake and that more people were latching onto your take rather than WK's.

This is not compelling to me. His vote on TewnLeenk was due to him being inactive and a newer player. His vote on Rockin was due to a clerical error, he subsequently unvoted after being called on it.
Their liberal use of it and initial error stood out to me. Either way I never made it the crux of my suspicion against them and admitted to that.

Why do you quote the very start of my reasoning for why you would kill Matunas, not quote the rest, and then ask me why you would do it as scum? That sentence and what follows are part of the same reasoning. I have laid out my reasonings for your motivations on this already.
This is ---’s first scumlean list. This is after ’s at hammer range, but he asks for more reads. ---’s list is mostly nulls with scumleans on and Rockin and a very slight lean on TewnLeenk. He also “corrects” my read of his breadcrumb in #162. This correction is performed after it’s clear that is getting lynched, he had been at L-1 since #209. Why didn’t he do this in post #164 or #181? And in none of these 3 posts does he comment on the status of ’s vote count.
In this post, he also refers to ’s Mafia win brag that happened earlier in the game (#74), which hadn’t been referred to in quite a while. It seems odd to me to bring it up over 100 posts later.
For his next post, we need ’s post #221 since --- directly replied to it.
Mostly because I didn't see it clear as them being lynched as I stated in my #460 post.

<Pi's brag was the origin of the bandwagon/your initial questioning of them and it seemed mostly inconsequential to me given the general nature of Day 1s & past experiences; at least in comparison to Rockin's behavior as per my vote on them.

You're misrepresenting my argument. What I communicated is that you frequently bring up things that end up being non-issues without actually concluding something from it, yet still including it in your readlist reasoning for that player. You also don't always ask for clarification. This could be interpreted as active lurking, or seeming like you're contributing, but you're really not saying much. It also opens the possibility of a different player taking a closer look at it and then concluding something, without you getting the "credit" for pointing it out.
By itself, it's not scummy. However, given the other reasoning for why I think you're scum, I think it lines up pretty well and is very in line with your playstyle.

Most of the rest of your post, I'm sorry to say is just not very satisfactory. Most of the quote replies do not add anything to what I said, or say something inconsequential without sufficiently refuting what I said.
I think that's a good summary of my overall playstyle in most games. Theory craft is something I've gotten into the habit of due to more liberal games, their unpredictable nature, and sometimes questionable balance. I find it helps the WIFOM (Google!) in my own head at least and can be important in the long game as more is revealed.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I've said my piece on you, and it's pretty clear that I feel that you are the scummier between you and - - -, no offense. We've gone pretty in depth 1v1, and there's not much else to be said.
Okay, then I have nothing further to say to you then.

all it comes down to is seeing whether or not --- and tewnlenk finds me scummy, and if they do, they should address it to me asap so I can convince them otherwise.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Okay, then I have nothing further to say to you then.

all it comes down to is seeing whether or not --- and tewnlenk finds me scummy, and if they do, they should address it to me asap so I can convince them otherwise.
Yeah the 1v1s weren't too productive, to be perfectly honest. We were both just getting heated and slowly repeating the same points. I'm glad to stop and see what the other players decide.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mostly because I didn't see it clear as them being lynched as I stated in my #460 post.
I looked back at this post and don't really see where you said this.
Aside from myself, all other remaining players were apart of the <Pi bandwagon. Except for Matunas, who was the hammer and could earn town cred (206 post), I gave some leeway for those who voted and were ultimately correct.

A scum player abandoning ship onto a 5 player bandwagon on Day 1 before anything is set is stone (2 votes on Rockin & Pythag/Mediocre had yet to cast) would be a weird play to make in my mind so it was a theory I had downplayed. Though that's not to say looking at the order of votes and reasoning doesn't warrant a re-read: SB -> TL -> WK -> Rockin -> Matunas

You started the bandwagon and kept your vote on them the longest, plus Matunas's read puts you as the most likely townie in my mind.
Could you help me out here?
<Pi's brag was the origin of the bandwagon/your initial questioning of them and it seemed mostly inconsequential to me given the general nature of Day 1s & past experiences; at least in comparison to Rockin's behavior as per my vote on them.
It wasn't the origin of the bandwagon. The original reasoning was his overreaction to RVS and refusal to back down from that stance.

I think that's a good summary of my overall playstyle in most games. Theory craft is something I've gotten into the habit of due to more liberal games, their unpredictable nature, and sometimes questionable balance. I find it helps the WIFOM (Google!) in my own head at least and can be important in the long game as more is revealed.
OK.... this doesn't really serve to change my mind.

Let me ask you a different question: Who do you plan to vote for toDay and why? In usual --- fashion, your post #429 is entirely noncommittal about reads on the entire playerbase other than labeling me as Town.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
So we are at an enpasse here.

My vote is on Rockin. Logically, - - - 's will go there to prevent their own lynch.

On the opposite end, SB is on - - -. Rockin will likely vote that way for the same reason.

TewnLeenk TewnLeenk has the keys to the kingdom here. I'd appreciate a full breakdown of their reasoning for whoever they choose to vote for.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
So we are at an enpasse here.

My vote is on Rockin. Logically, - - - 's will go there to prevent their own lynch.

On the opposite end, SB is on - - -. Rockin will likely vote that way for the same reason.

TewnLeenk TewnLeenk has the keys to the kingdom here. I'd appreciate a full breakdown of their reasoning for whoever they choose to vote for.
Tewnlink is also out of town, and there's little certaincy he'll be able to provide his opinion here as well as vote. This Day may potentially come to a No lynch, and I rather avoid that.

Vote: ---

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I'm not saying he WON'T, and I'd like for him to espress his opinion on the matter, but with the long pause from him yesterday and today, I'm a bit uncertain (but attempting to be hopeful)

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Fuuuuuuck

A no lynch is far worse than a mislynch here. It'd be lylo whether we no lynched or mislynched, right? It'd just be a last Day with even more uncertainty.

At 5 Est give or take (so an hour and a half before deadline), I will hammer if necessary. But I still would 100% rather go for Rockin.

I'm busy helping my parents atm, so I can't say much else in any lengthy way.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
Bruh this is way too much pressure lol

So I've thought about this for a while, and at the end of the day it's got to come down to ---. I've had them as scum for longer than Rockin. I'll admit that I haven't always been clear or consistent with my reads and my reasonings, and I apologize for that.

But ever since the start of the game with the breadcrumbs and all that, I've always been confused and sort of put off by ---'s game plan and what they were doing. I've flip flopped multiple times on people probably from inexperience or from having my perspective changed by other players, but ---'s weird start to the game has always stuck with me.

Werekill's read of bad town made sense to me too, but I was ultimately swayed by Strong Bad's big post. I'm sorry if this is brief or jumbled.

I'm actually typing this at a bar right now lmao

Anyway, here we go
VOTE ---

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Vote Count:
--- (3): Strong Bad, Rockin, TewnLeenk
Rockin (1): Werekill
Not voting (1): ---

The remaining five friends spent the afternoon playing board games of all kinds. They worked together to repair a moon base before oxygen ran out. They bought up all the utilities and railroads before realizing the value of three houses on a street. They waged global war until there was a sole winner - or at least they determined who would probably win before the sun went down.

--- had to leave, and everyone said their goodbyes. Tom left a note,

"---, thank you so much for accepting my invitation. You really made things interesting! I'm happy to consider you in my family of friends. I hope to see you again soon! Please be safe on your way home!"

---, Vanilla Townie, was lynched Day 3!

Night 3 will end Sunday, April 7 at 2:30 pm central. Please send your night actions immediately!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
During the night, the ghosts made their preparations. Tom put up a big ol' welcome banner. The ghost of Pythag prepared sparklers, with confetti and streamers rigged to drop from the ceiling. The ghost of Matunas baked a cake.

The remaining mafia goon struck during the night, and when their victim woke as a ghost, it was a surprise... party!

Strong Bad, Vanilla Townie, was killed Night 3!

"CONGRATULATIONS! WE'RE ALL GHOSTS!"

Vote Count:
Not voting (0): Werekill, TewnLeenk, Rockin

Day 4 will end Wednesday, April 10 at 2:30 pm Central or when a player reaches 2/3 votes.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Bleh...I kinda jinxed that LOL

Okay so, let's not immediately vote over here. It's lylo, so if we **** up THIS day, then mafia wins. we need to approach this calmly.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Now look werekill, I no longer think that you're mafia. I feel like, with the kind of synergy you and sb had, as well as the full clear of townieness on D3, I feel you wouldn't nk him, especially with how sb is willing to lynch me if --- turned out to be town.

I feel like Mafia is with Tewnlink, because of this.

You may need to sit back and look at this in some angles, but please do your best not to stress yourself out.

Top Bottom