• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tom Nook for SSBB: Far from Deconfirmed.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Ehhh, No, assists trophies were stated on Dojo as meaning that a character will not be playable, to date NOTHING ELSE HAS THIS DISTINCTION!

Decomfirmation means that the gamemakers have released absolute proof that the character will not be playable, be it official word or what they have officially defined as "cannot be playable and also do this".

Have you read the minds of the programmers?

If not then how do you know what placement means they will not be playable.

It's not a rule, it's an understanding that in such conditions there is no rule.
This is as pointless as the Gardevoir thread, I'm assuming you're one of those that thinks she still has a chance too?

Plus the Dojo never said, "OMG you guys only if you see your fav character in this section he could still be playable"

All of this characters that have been shown in the game are not playable and when the game is released this threads will only be up for the lulz!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This is as pointless as the Gardevoir thread, I'm assuming you're one of those that thinks she still has a chance too?

Plus the Dojo never said, "OMG you guys only if you see your fav character in this section he could still be playable"

All of this characters that have been shown in the game are not playable and when the game is released this threads will only be up for the lulz!
Yep, I just posted the same argument in regards to guardevoir, not that I really care all that much about guardevoir either char, though gardevoir is pretty cool.

Realize that deconfirmation is an absolute, and absolutes must be proven because otherwise it defaults to a non-absolute (aka, maybe, or unlikely but possible, or very likely), in this it is very similar to confirmation.

So they didn't say what you did say, but lack of confirmation to the contrary means they didn't make it an absolute, ergo he can still appear.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Yep, I just posted the same argument in regards to guardevoir, not that I really care all that much about guardevoir either char, though gardevoir is pretty cool.

Realize that deconfirmation is an absolute, and absolutes must be proven because otherwise it defaults to a non-absolute (aka, maybe, or unlikely but possible, or very likely), in this it is very similar to confirmation.

So they didn't say what you did say, but lack of confirmation to the contrary means they didn't make it an absolute, ergo he can still appear.
How is appearing in the game NOT as playable a NON absolute deconfirmation?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
How is appearing in the game NOT as playable a NON absolute deconfirmation?
Erm, because there is no official statement that says that it is an absolute deconfirmation.

Only where there is an official statement that says it is absolute is it absolute, otherwise it's just probability.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Erm, because there is no official statement that says that it is an absolute deconfirmation.

Only where there is an official statement that says it is absolute is it absolute, otherwise it's just probability.
Sometimes things don't need an official deconfirmation, Sakurai doesn't expect people to be that stupid to have to put a big sign on the home page of the Dojo saying Nook and Gardevoir deconfirmed lol!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sometimes things don't need an official deconfirmation, Sakurai doesn't expect people to be that stupid to have to put a big sign on the home page of the Dojo saying Nook and Gardevoir deconfirmed lol!
Erm, yeah he does to make it an absolute (or release the final character list/the game of course).

Cause without that sign, it's not an absolute, it's just a high probability that they will not be in.

As a rule of thumb, whenever you have to use deduction to figure out a person's intentions, THERE'S ALWAYS A CHANCE YOU'RE WRONG, no matter how simple the deduction seems and no matter how small the chance is. Elementary rhetoric.

Shuma

Smash Hero
WTF adumbrodeus do you have mental problems! are you stupid!? If some character is shown as a not playable character, there is NO POINT in making another MODEL, set of ANIMATIONS and TEXTURE to make HIM/HER Playable!.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This deduction is as simple as deducting 2 + 2 = 4, come on you should know better.
Deducting Mathmatics is not like deducting a person's mental state, there are so many factors that come into play that no deduction is 100% in regards to another person's mind.

WTF adumbrodeus do you have mental problems! are you stupid!? If some character is shown as a not playable character, there is NO POINT in making another MODEL, set of ANIMATIONS and TEXTURE to make HIM/HER Playable!.
I really should be asking you that question, because obviously you cannot grasp the rhetorical difference between a very low probability and impossible.

No amount of technical redundancy makes something impossible, just improbable.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Low probability: Fox's alt costume looks like Wolf, however it doesn't look exactly like wolf, there's around 10% chance than Wolf can still make it.

Immpossible: Gardevoir is a Pokeball, she is Deconfirmed, Pokeball pokemons have never and will never be playable.

Tom Nook isi n the background, there's no point for the Smash Bros team to waste precious time in making a new model, new textures, new animations, new FX, another set of SE storyline and music etc etc for a character that the already put in the background.

Do you understand? or is your skull so full of **** that nothing else can enter it?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Low probability: Fox's alt costume looks like Wolf, however it doesn't look exactly like wolf, there's around 10% chance than Wolf can still make it.

Immpossible: Gardevoir is a Pokeball, she is Deconfirmed, Pokeball pokemons have never and will never be playable.

Tom Nook isi n the background, there's no point for the Smash Bros team to waste precious time in making a new model, new textures, new animations, new FX, another set of SE storyline and music etc etc for a character that the already put in the background.

Do you understand? or is your skull so full of **** that nothing else can enter it?
Obviously you're never taken a rhetoric class or you'd realize that both cases are of low probability.

Possibile: Any case where an event has probability greater then zero, absolute laws have made it impossible.

Low probability: Usually reletive, but in general events that are unlikely to occur, usually less then 25% but always great then zero. An example would be .00000000000000000000000000000000001%. In practice can be indistinguishable from impossible in effect except after many tests.

Impossible: Any event with a zero probability, deemed by absolute laws.

As you can see, no absolute rule of the system (aka, Sakurai's rules which he say fit to tell us) deemed either event impossible, and since probability is a sum of the unknown factors, the event has a LOW probability.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Your point is that unless Sakurai tell us that something is deconfirmed then it's not deconfirmed. Ok fine, i always whanted to play as the Halberd, and no it's not confirmed to not be a character, Sakurai has never said that it's immpossible for a stage to be playable.

Your logic does make a lot of sense.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Your point is that unless Sakurai tell us that something is deconfirmed then it's not deconfirmed. Ok fine, i always whanted to play as the Halberd, and no it's not confirmed to not be a character, Sakurai has never said that it's immpossible for a stage to be playable.

Your logic does make a lot of sense.
Yep, it's possible, highly unlikely, but possible none the less, I'm glad we understand each other, though I think the issue is more that he never said that it was restricted to characters, even though the overwhelming majority of playable characters are characters.

Create the support thread, please, I'd love to play as the Halberd.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Obviously you're never taken a rhetoric class or you'd realize that both cases are of low probability.

Possibile: Any case where an event has probability greater then zero, absolute laws have made it impossible.

Low probability: Usually reletive, but in general events that are unlikely to occur, usually less then 25% but always great then zero. An example would be .00000000000000000000000000000000001%. In practice can be indistinguishable from impossible in effect except after many tests.

Impossible: Any event with a zero probability, deemed by absolute laws.

As you can see, no absolute rule of the system (aka, Sakurai's rules which he say fit to tell us) deemed either event impossible, and since probability is a sum of the unknown factors, the event has a LOW probability.
This may b over the top, but I love this quote. I agree nothing is impossible until the end but using mathematic probability laws? Lol

Yep, it's possible, highly unlikely, but possible none the less, I'm glad we understand each other.
He's right Shuma

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Not a particular fan of Nook, but, as I remember the only thing that was confirmed as a deconfirmation is assist trophies, so why is a stage appearence a deconfirmation?

Boy, the community sure loves making up rules.
OMG, dude, common sense.

Ehhh, No, assists trophies were stated on Dojo as meaning that a character will not be playable, to date NOTHING ELSE HAS THIS DISTINCTION!

Decomfirmation means that the gamemakers have released absolute proof that the character will not be playable, be it official word or what they have officially defined as "cannot be playable and also do this".

Have you read the minds of the programmers?

If not then how do you know what placement means they will not be playable.

It's not a rule, it's an understanding that in such conditions there is no rule.
Pokeballs also have that distinction.

You don't have to read the minds of the programmers to know that it's highly unlikely Nook will be playable.

Placement that means playabe: Character profile

Everything else: no.

Simple enough for you?

W...T...F...? Do you HONESTLY believe Gardevoir has a chance? You are beyond hope...

OMG, are you seriously serious?? You are just being highly technical, which there is no point in, come Feb. 10, you'll only be disappointed.

Erm, yeah he does to make it an absolute (or release the final character list/the game of course).

Cause without that sign, it's not an absolute, it's just a high probability that they will not be in.

As a rule of thumb, whenever you have to use deduction to figure out a person's intentions, THERE'S ALWAYS A CHANCE YOU'RE WRONG, no matter how simple the deduction seems and no matter how small the chance is. Elementary rhetoric.
And I think there's a huge chance you're wrong while there is little chance I am. Your point? You're doing the same thing I am, only in a very illogical matter.

Deducting Mathmatics is not like deducting a person's mental state, there are so many factors that come into play that no deduction is 100% in regards to another person's mind.

I really should be asking you that question, because obviously you cannot grasp the rhetorical difference between a very low probability and impossible.

No amount of technical redundancy makes something impossible, just improbable.
very improbable ~=~ impossible.

You know, just like 0.999 ~=~ 1

And stop bringing Sakurai's mental state into this, it's not something YOU can deduce either.

Really... you're just using every little defense you can get.

It's not as if Sakurai is as crazy and random as some of you people believe.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Let me sum up my arguement, there is an extremely low, but non-zero chance that Tom Nook will appear. This is because there has never been any official statement that says that anything other then assist trophies mean a character will not be playable.

Pokeballs also have that distinction.

You don't have to read the minds of the programmers to know that it's highly unlikely Nook will be playable.

Placement that means playabe: Character profile

Everything else: no.

Simple enough for you?
And highly unlikely is exactly what I am arguing, so why are we disagreeing?

And no, it's never been officially stated that pokeballs have that distinction.
W...T...F...? Do you HONESTLY believe Gardevoir has a chance? You are beyond hope...
A non-zero chance, (a very tiny one at that), but still.

OMG, are you seriously serious?? You are just being highly technical, which there is no point in, come Feb. 10, you'll only be disappointed.
I'm not personally invested in either character so how can I be disapointed.

But yes, I have little doubt that Tom Nook will not appear in the game, but there is a non-zero chance that he will appear, this is all I'm pointing out.

And I think there's a huge chance you're wrong while there is little chance I am. Your point? You're doing the same thing I am, only in a very illogical matter.
Erm.... you're saying pretty much the exact same thing I said, but instead of saying "there's a low chance that Tom Nook will appear and a high chance he won't" (which is exactly what I'm arging), you're saying, "there's a low chance you're wrong and a high chance I'm right".

For him having a low chance of appearing I don't even have to admit, it was implied in my arguement from the start, and I clarified later that I agreed that the probability was low

very improbable ~=~ impossible.

You know, just like 0.999 ~=~ 1
I don't think that this proper for the usage of similar, but I understand what you mean, and yes, it is similar in terms of net effect, most of the time, but with enough tests, even an extremely small non-zero chance can be important.

And stop bringing Sakurai's mental state into this, it's not something YOU can deduce either.

Really... you're just using every little defense you can get.

It's not as if Sakurai is as crazy and random as some of you people believe.
Erm, I was not saying that we know enough of his mental state to say it's a non-zero chance, I said the opposite, that we do not know enough of his mental state to make it a zero chance.

So yeah, you're almost definately right that he will not appear, but you're not right in disagreeing with me, though none of your points really opposed mine.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
you know, I think of this issue really hard and it just hit me...

....who are the people that are piloting the Arwings in Lylat Cruise..?

..............no. Don't EVEN THINK of telling me that it is an auto pilot.
do you see fox flying one while you fight him? no.
the same goes for falco, a no.
but the story mode thing is temporary, peppy and slippy are the ones flying the ships in multi player, that is permanent.
is tom nook in the background in multi player? yes.
is it set this way for story mode? no.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Let me sum up my arguement, there is an extremely low, but non-zero chance that Tom Nook will appear. This is because there has never been any official statement that says that anything other then assist trophies mean a character will not be playable.
Yes... Tom Nook is highly, highly unlikely. So?

And highly unlikely is exactly what I am arguing, so why are we disagreeing?

And no, it's never been officially stated that pokeballs have that distinction.

A non-zero chance, (a very tiny one at that), but still.
No. Not even a non-zero chance. Yes, Tom Nook is unlikely, but Gardevoir has been Pokeball-ified. Gardy has a ZERO chance. ZERO.

I'm not personally invested in either character so how can I be disapointed.
Alright then...

But yes, I have little doubt that Tom Nook will not appear in the game, but there is a non-zero chance that he will appear, this is all I'm pointing out.
I actually agree with you... somewhat. But I'm strongly betting he won't. IF a character will be playable, WHY put him in the backround?

Erm.... you're saying pretty much the exact same thing I said, but instead of saying "there's a low chance that Tom Nook will appear and a high chance he won't" (which is exactly what I'm arging), you're saying, "there's a low chance you're wrong and a high chance I'm right".
Your point?

For him having a low chance of appearing I don't even have to admit, it was implied in my arguement from the start, and I clarified later that I agreed that the probability was low
Ok then...

I don't think that this proper for the usage of similar, but I understand what you mean, and yes, it is similar in terms of net effect, most of the time, but with enough tests, even an extremely small non-zero chance can be important.
Fine enough, but we won't have enough tests. We will only have *1* game, not 100 different tests...

Erm, I was not saying that we know enough of his mental state to say it's a non-zero chance, I said the opposite, that we do not know enough of his mental state to make it a zero chance.
Mental state.... *sigh*

So yeah, you're almost definately right that he will not appear, but you're not right in disagreeing with me, though none of your points really opposed mine.
With Tom Nook, yeah, I'll admit he has a window of opportunity, but, if he were to be in the game, he would have a brawl equivalent model, but he doesn't. It's comparable to the rest of the AC crowd. Why create 2 Nook models to put one in the backround, and another one as a PC? but Gardy does have the zero chance. Pokeballs ARE like AT. Pokemons can't be ATs, so they have to be Pokeball-ified. And look at their models... they were most likely ported directly with little upgrades from the GC game.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yes... Tom Nook is highly, highly unlikely. So?
Just pointing out that there is no contention, our opinions are totally in line. He has a non-zero chance, just a very small one.

Good.

No. Not even a non-zero chance. Yes, Tom Nook is unlikely, but Gardevoir has been Pokeball-ified. Gardy has a ZERO chance. ZERO.
As I pointed out beforehand, we have no proof that the smash team considers pokeballs in the same category as assist characters, so it goes in the same category as a character being in the background, an educated logical guess is that it's the same net effect, but there's still a non-zero chance that it's not.

I actually agree with you... somewhat. But I'm strongly betting he won't. IF a character will be playable, WHY put him in the backround?
I agree, why would they? That's why I say the chance is very low, but very low is still non-zero. And there is precedent for characters having multiple roles ), pokefloats had characters like chansy and venusaur that were also pokeball pokemon. It is not illogical to guess that, being far larger, the pokefloats versions had more fine details so they looked good when zoomed really far in.

Your point?
That we agreed and that you didn't recognize it at the time.

Fine enough, but we won't have enough tests. We will only have *1* game, not 100 different tests...
Excuse me, the point was more that multiple tests reveal the real probability, and one test is more likely to make a statistical outlier seem normal, and something that is very likely seem unlikely.

Plus, we have a good number of character slots, and thus plenty of potential for statistical outliers to appear.

Mental state.... *sigh*
Again, stating lack of knowledge in reguards to it, not making assumptions about it.

With Tom Nook, yeah, I'll admit he has a window of opportunity, but, if he were to be in the game, he would have a brawl equivalent model, but he doesn't. It's comparable to the rest of the AC crowd. Why create 2 Nook models to put one in the backround, and another one as a PC? but Gardy does have the zero chance. Pokeballs ARE like AT. Pokemons can't be ATs, so they have to be Pokeball-ified. And look at their models... they were most likely ported directly with little upgrades from the GC game.
Hmmm, actually, it is rather easy to create a high-quality model, and then scale it down in quality, give me two minutes with photo-shop and a high quality text and I could definately scale it down for uses in the background so it takes less processor power.

As for Garde, again, that's a very logical guess, but there's no proof that this is how the smash team feels about pokeballs, which is why Garde is lower on the percentage chart then Tom Nook, she's something that is extremely similar to something that we know is a deconfirmation and seems equivalent. Still, low percentage is not 0%.

Wow... people are still trying to convince adumbrodeus, this started around midnight yesterday, you really think he'll take that long to come to terms with it? he is one tough cookie lol!
Lol, come to terms with what? I've already stated that I don't really like Nook, anyway realize that as far as Nook is concerned, PrettyGoodYear already admitted my point, that there is an extremely low non-zero chance that he could be included. Ok, admitted is the wrong word, "realized that we always agreed" is the better way of putting it.

One tough cookie is putting it nicely ¬¬
Well, I'm persistent, especially when I know I'm correct, especially when I realize that the other guy agrees with me but doesn't realize it cause he/she/it/potato thinks I'm arguing for some other point.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Lol, I'm not really arguing for per say Tom Nook, I'm arguing for logic and for people to use precise statements, Nook just happens to be the character where this distinction came into play with.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You have been brainwashed by these boards, no one outside these boards has that logic, if it's not in the Dojo is not official.
Are you talking to me?

If so, the reverse is true, only on these boards would be consider a deconfirmation as anything but Dojo saying so or it not eventually being in the game.

Most people on listen to the official sources, and don't go through this "let's read into every tiny detail" process.

Top Bottom