• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
By the end of the punch, no matter the situation (wall or not), he could be at the exact spot his opponent was, and the moment he warps to do the punch could have him be intangible until the move's endlag, thus preventing clipping as much as possible (latter being to prevent clipping by being hit).
That's perfect! For the love of all, I just couldn't think of a solution for that and had been beating my head to figure some kind of idea. Your idea works perfectly, I love how this is coming along.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That's perfect! For the love of all, I just couldn't think of a solution for that and had been beating my head to figure some kind of idea. Your idea works perfectly, I love how this is coming along.
Down B is the one special I'm not really having an easy time thinking of.

There are lots of staples, like Takedown and Hellfire, but... I kind of want something that's possible in the air (and Hellfire would be so dumb in the air too) since every special that isn't Turnips can be done in the air.

Plus, won't stop those move from being extra command input moves like Ryu and Ken (latter even gets two moves that aren't his specials that way).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why do I get the feeling that gaming outlets seeing MK11 Switch version footage, but no one else, is entirely a "Emperor's New Clothes" situation?

In any case, at least Premium Edition owners can gain early access to the DLC characters a week ahead of release.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I've been lurking around this thread for quite awhile, but I never bothered to place a reply. Anyway, I'm going to throw my hat at Scorpion potentially being added to Smash as DLC. I feel like there are a lot of things that he has going for him atm, and I'd be incredibly pleased if he was added as DLC.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Down B is the one special I'm not really having an easy time thinking of.

There are lots of staples, like Takedown and Hellfire, but... I kind of want something that's possible in the air (and Hellfire would be so dumb in the air too) since every special that isn't Turnips can be done in the air.

Plus, won't stop those move from being extra command input moves like Ryu and Ken (latter even gets two moves that aren't his specials that way).
I've been racking my brain on that one too since I feel like Hellfire would be the more unique ability and iconic enough to Scorpion to not incorporate in some way. I was thinking it could be used as a trap when the input is done with the target too far to be activated immediately, it could give him a little more stage control (maybe it could perform like MKX's Minion grab variation).

If that doesn't work, maybe it could be combined with Flame Aura from MKX where, when performed in the air, he surrounds himself in fire instead. This would be a quick attack to kinda break foes off him and possible negate projectiles without having to dodge while keeping his Down Special functional in the air.

If we move away from the Hellfire, I guess they could do something like in Deadly Alliance where his Down Special could change between an armed and unarmed stance where his special attacks remain the same but his normal attacks change. I guess the downside of this would mean he could be played as a quasi-sword character, and we know how much stigma that particular weapon has. It'd be different and unique enough from Zelda/Shiek's old transformation since it's still be Scorpion with the same stats and specials.

The only other thing I could think of for a Down Special would be incorporating Fatal Blow from MK11. When he his a certain percentage of damage, like 150%, or if his health is below 30% in Stamina matches, he'd get one (per stock) psuedo-mini Final Smash that can deal some insane damage if it connects. This would be something like the X-Ray attacks from previous MK games, minus the hyper violence and gore of course, and an entirely different cinematic beatdown from his actual FS, which obviously would be Toasty.

Takedown could work as a Down-Tilt or Down-Smash that leaves opponents prone on the floor like Snake's Down-Throw. I'm not sure how useful that would be, but it'd be a good way to still incorporate that move.

So far, that's what I can think of. Feel free to retool or expand on anything you think might work.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I've been racking my brain on that one too since I feel like Hellfire would be the more unique ability and iconic enough to Scorpion to not incorporate in some way. I was thinking it could be used as a trap when the input is done with the target too far to be activated immediately, it could give him a little more stage control (maybe it could perform like MKX's Minion grab variation).

If that doesn't work, maybe it could be combined with Flame Aura from MKX where, when performed in the air, he surrounds himself in fire instead. This would be a quick attack to kinda break foes off him and possible negate projectiles without having to dodge while keeping his Down Special functional in the air.

If we move away from the Hellfire, I guess they could do something like in Deadly Alliance where his Down Special could change between an armed and unarmed stance where his special attacks remain the same but his normal attacks change. I guess the downside of this would mean he could be played as a quasi-sword character, and we know how much stigma that particular weapon has. It'd be different and unique enough from Zelda/Shiek's old transformation since it's still be Scorpion with the same stats and specials.

The only other thing I could think of for a Down Special would be incorporating Fatal Blow from MK11. When he his a certain percentage of damage, like 150%, or if his health is below 30% in Stamina matches, he'd get one (per stock) psuedo-mini Final Smash that can deal some insane damage if it connects. This would be something like the X-Ray attacks from previous MK games, minus the hyper violence and gore of course, and an entirely different cinematic beatdown from his actual FS, which obviously would be Toasty.

Takedown could work as a Down-Tilt or Down-Smash that leaves opponents prone on the floor like Snake's Down-Throw. I'm not sure how useful that would be, but it'd be a good way to still incorporate that move.

So far, that's what I can think of. Feel free to retool or expand on anything you think might work.
Flame Aura as its own standalone special (both groun and air) is what I always end up thinking, with Hellfire and Takedown being ground-only moves with special inputs like Ryu and Ken.

But I do like the weapon switching mechanic. He’d trade power for range and, if anyone complains, it’s tied to a single move, so you could spend the whole game without using his sword.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I see Scorpion is one of the most highly discussed characters that has believable DLC potential behind them. If Scorpion is to happen, he's at Fighters Pass 3 or more at 5.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I don't know how it took so long for the games to make use of Techno Syndrome, but I'm glad to finally hear it again. If you ask me, the song is a must include with Scorpion's stage.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
After messing around with Joker's grappling hook I see this move being re-purposed as Scorpion's Spear, I mean for the sake of dev time and all. Would his Spear be best as a neutral, side special or a tether grab? Maybe both? Scorpion seems to have some interesting uses with his spear in MK11 so maybe Sakurai could take some inspiration from Scorpion's latest MK move set.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
After messing around with Joker's grappling hook I see this move being re-purposed as Scorpion's Spear, I mean for the sake of dev time and all. Would his Spear be best as a neutral, side special or a tether grab? Maybe both? Scorpion seems to have some interesting uses with his spear in MK11 so maybe Sakurai could take some inspiration from Scorpion's latest MK move set.
I say it'd have to be the Neutral Special so that Kirby can copy it. I really want to hear him shout "Get over here!" in his cutesy voice.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
It looks good. I feel like MK 11 is going to huge for the Switch, and that makes me optimistic about Scorpion coming to Smash. The only thing holding an MK character back from coming to Smash at this point would probably be it's lack of a prescence in Japan.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm still hoping that MK being a household name outside of Japan can convince Nintendo enough to chance putting Scorpion in. It's not like they haven't included Japan-only characters in the series in the past, so it shouldn't be unrealistic for a character that is better known outside of Japan to possibly be playable. This is especially so if the rumored DQ character turns out to be real, that could be their Japan-centric DLC pic and Scorpion can be the Western one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The movie theme remix is great indeed and would be a most welcome soundtrack if Scorpion was included.

Not that I see it happening due to rights and stuff, but would also be nice if they had the Fear Factor Zero Signal remix that was used for the Scorpion and Johnny Cage fight in the movie. Out of any music, it just feels most associated with Scorpion particularly.

D

Deleted member

I never knew I want Scorpion again because I lost hope for Scorpion in I believe in May of 2017 for being "too violent" and fast forward to now, I have been reminded that we have Ridley impaled Megaman and Death killed Luigi, though I should lower down my expectation for Scorpion of course being that of a western-developed character.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Creativity here is awesome- but taking something not at all iconic on the character, one off ideas that didnt make it into other games, isnt really taking the essence of the character and making it work.

I think the Campiness of MK makes it viable of Smash- camp and gore. It's equally both.

I never knew I want Scorpion again because I lost hope for Scorpion in I believe in May of 2017 for being "too violent" and fast forward to now, I have been reminded that we have Ridley impaled Megaman and Death killed Luigi, though I should lower down my expectation for Scorpion of course being that of a western-developed character.
Not to mention two characters using actual guns. Much more violent than a spear- no one uses a spear in real life.

Last edited:

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
While I personally prefer Sub-Zero to be in the game, I still fully support Scorpion to be in the game, he's pretty much the mascot of the series and it would be bad-ass to see him in the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I personally prefer Sub-Zero to be in the game, I still fully support Scorpion to be in the game, he's pretty much the mascot of the series and it would be bad-*** to see him in the game.
Isn't he also ironically the only one to not show up in every single game? XD

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Isn't he also ironically the only one to not show up in every single game? XD
What do you mean? The way this is phrased is confusing. Are you saying Sub Zero is the one to show up in every game?

While I personally prefer Sub-Zero to be in the game, I still fully support Scorpion to be in the game, he's pretty much the mascot of the series and it would be bad-*** to see him in the game.
I fully see Sub Zero as an easy echo fighter. Change three out of four special attacks, base one or two on existing moves from other players. Voila!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What do you mean? The way this is phrased is confusing. Are you saying Sub Zero is the one to show up in every game?
Scorpion. He wasn't in MK3.

I fully see Sub Zero as an easy echo fighter. Change three out of four special attacks, base one or two on existing moves from other players. Voila!
It's not that easy. Their abilities are far more different than the previous games. They actually play extremely different now. MK has pushed characters to be far less similar, with at most a few aerials and the usual Uppercut move being the same. Sometimes the fatalities are generic otherwise.

So only a few moves actually are remotely similar. A lot has changed since they went 3D. Armageddon was the only 3D game where characters played a lot alike at best. I mean, sure, some aerials in a few 3D games too, but mostly they're highly separated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not that easy. Their abilities are far more different than the previous games. They actually play extremely different now. MK has pushed characters to be far less similar, with at most a few aerials and the usual Uppercut move being the same. Sometimes the fatalities are generic otherwise.

So only a few moves actually are remotely similar. A lot has changed since they went 3D. Armageddon was the only 3D game where characters played a lot alike at best. I mean, sure, some aerials in a few 3D games too, but mostly they're highly separated.
Yeah, and you could have made this Argument for Ken, yet he is an echo.
Considering most of the characters who have classic designs *use* those designs, I don't think Mortal Kombat would be any different.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, and you could have made this Argument for Ken, yet he is an echo.
Considering most of the characters who have classic designs *use* those designs, I don't think Mortal Kombat would be any different.
Ken was literally designed to be Ryu's "second costume" from the start. The MK characters were not done that way. They were always separated, and everybody had some remote similarities. They're extremely different situations.

MK is highly different, and have extreme differences that are important to the characters right now. It's a huge focus of the games. Sub-Zero can fit as an Echo, but he'd still have a very different moveset as well. The main thing about an Echo is the same bodyshape. Everything else is way less important. We learned that with Ken, who had an extremely different moveset in many ways from Ryu in Ultimate. You can barely tell he's an Echo at times.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ken was literally designed to be Ryu's "second costume" from the start. The MK characters were not done that way. They were always separated, and everybody had some remote similarities. They're extremely different situations.

MK is highly different, and have extreme differences that are important to the characters right now. It's a huge focus of the games. Sub-Zero can fit as an Echo, but he'd still have a very different moveset as well. The main thing about an Echo is the same bodyshape. Everything else is way less important. We learned that with Ken, who had an extremely different moveset in many ways from Ryu in Ultimate. You can barely tell he's an Echo at times.
Yes- Ken is vastly different.
What we have learned about echoes is that they have to take less development time, and seemingly, at least for now, share somewhat the same skeleton.
Which Mortal Kombat and Scorpion likely would. They were initially different characters, sure, but they were palette swaps. In fact, Mortal Kombat made the palette swap famous in fighting games, utilizing it more than any other game. Having two characters of this nature do this is part of the tribute that Mortal Kombat could receive.

In short, I disagree with most of what you say which are opinions. I feel, if we were to get Scorpion, it would be a more classic version, which plays to the campier aspects of the series as much as the gore. I'm sorry you cannot see the similarities in Scoprion and Sub Zero at this point, but that doesn't make it fact.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes- Ken is vastly different.
What we have learned about echoes is that they have to take less development time, and seemingly, at least for now, share somewhat the same skeleton.
Which Mortal Kombat and Scorpion likely would. They were initially different characters, sure, but they were palette swaps. In fact, Mortal Kombat made the palette swap famous in fighting games, utilizing it more than any other game. Having two characters of this nature do this is part of the tribute that Mortal Kombat could receive.

In short, I disagree with most of what you say which are opinions. I feel, if we were to get Scorpion, it would be a more classic version, which plays to the campier aspects of the series as much as the gore. I'm sorry you cannot see the similarities in Scoprion and Sub Zero at this point, but that doesn't make it fact.
I doubt we're getting his Klassic edition. He's memorable for both versions. Right now Ed Boom is pushing his modern era design, which is far more different. The Klassic version is purely a costume last I checked. MK11 is also coming to the Switch, so it's likely the Klassic version will stay a costume.

It doesn't really matter that MK made palette swaps notable. That's not really a key factor in representing MK. Not compared to things like its unique combo system(which is kind of akin to Marth's Dancing Blade when it comes to directional inputs), the blood/gore, and extreme violence and finishing moves. Many of those swaps only became characters due to being glitches as well(which is what got us Ermac alone). The game evolved from that as well. It's one small piece of its history that is easily represented by having Scorpion or Sub-Zero's costumes be different colors not unlike those ninjas. That represents it where it matters in Smash, as costumes. You can even have their modern and klassic designs, 2 of each. Probably just sticking with Scorpion(Modern and Klassic), Sub-Zero(Masked Modern, Klassic Unmasked), Reptile(Modern and Klassic), and Ermac(Modern and Klassic). It also covers the four main colors in Smash, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red.

If we are doing an Echo(which isn't too likely as their bodyshapes are a bit more distinct now), then it shouldn't be for some silly reason like the palette swap joke. That only applies well to Ken since he was actually a direct clone. None of the MK characters were clones in this case. There were some, like Smoke, the glitched version of Ermac(before he became a character), and unmasked Sub-Zero. As well as conceptual ones that replaced some earlier characters, like Shinnok for Shang Tsung. Mortal Kombat 4 did that more than once. Tanya was a stand-in for Kitana, but also had similarities to Mileena. Scorpion and Sub-Zero were never actual gameplay clones either. That's why the comparison doesn't work. The actual similar moves was something the entire cast had, with the two aerial kicks, the leg sweep, and the uppercut, and by default, every stage fatality used an Uppercut. Some of these stayed the same, but most of these were changed up to further make the gameplay distinct. Clones still exist, but it doesn't apply to Scorpion or Sub-Zero(who were never actual clones of each other to begin with). The only other similarity they had were using the same weapon in combos, which showed they reused a few assets, but they didn't based them off of another in the same way as some games do. They aren't comparable to the shotoclones at all. It's apples to oranges.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I doubt we're getting his Klassic edition. He's memorable for both versions. Right now Ed Boom is pushing his modern era design, which is far more different. The Klassic version is purely a costume last I checked. MK11 is also coming to the Switch, so it's likely the Klassic version will stay a costume.
Show me a third party character that doesn't look similar to their initial design.
... Sonic? At best. Meaning... he isnt short and chubby but is mostly the same.
I think when the general populous thinks of Mortal Kombat, they think of their original designs, which have been pretty much a focal point until recently (three games). Even still, Scorpion and Sub Zero have the same skeleton.
It doesn't matter what Ed Boon pushes- he just wants the character used.

It doesn't really matter that MK made palette swaps notable. That's not really a key factor in representing MK. Not compared to things like its unique combo system(which is kind of akin to Marth's Dancing Blade when it comes to directional inputs), the blood/gore, and extreme violence and finishing moves. Many of those swaps only became characters due to being glitches as well(which is what got us Ermac alone). The game evolved from that as well. It's one small piece of its history that is easily represented by having Scorpion or Sub-Zero's costumes be different colors not unlike those ninjas. That represents it where it matters in Smash, as costumes. You can even have their modern and klassic designs, 2 of each. Probably just sticking with Scorpion(Modern and Klassic), Sub-Zero(Masked Modern, Klassic Unmasked), Reptile(Modern and Klassic), and Ermac(Modern and Klassic). It also covers the four main colors in Smash, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red.
Again, just all opinion, and I argue, not based on much. The history of the character is what Smash Ultimate is about celebrating. De facto, the palette swaps were a core component of the original games, which is why they had as many characters as they did. Whether or not you personally think this is important is irrelevant.

You also missed a key component of what makes MK what it is- which is its campiness. Notice how the thread is even called "Toasty," which is a reference to a camp aspect of the game.

One more point- its odd to me that your entire argument in any of these points against Sub Zero, is that Scorpion would be based on the modern version (and seemingly, solely based on him). Yet- you ignore the fact that MK11 has different Ninja's included than the ones you list, such as the black ninja, Noob.

If we are doing an Echo(which isn't too likely as their bodyshapes are a bit more distinct now), then it shouldn't be for some silly reason like the palette swap joke. That only applies well to Ken since he was actually a direct clone. None of the MK characters were clones in this case. There were some, like Smoke, the glitched version of Ermac(before he became a character), and unmasked Sub-Zero. As well as conceptual ones that replaced some earlier characters, like Shinnok for Shang Tsung. Mortal Kombat 4 did that more than once. Tanya was a stand-in for Kitana, but also had similarities to Mileena. Scorpion and Sub-Zero were never actual gameplay clones either. That's why the comparison doesn't work. The actual similar moves was something the entire cast had, with the two aerial kicks, the leg sweep, and the uppercut, and by default, every stage fatality used an Uppercut. Some of these stayed the same, but most of these were changed up to further make the gameplay distinct. Clones still exist, but it doesn't apply to Scorpion or Sub-Zero(who were never actual clones of each other to begin with). The only other similarity they had were using the same weapon in combos, which showed they reused a few assets, but they didn't based them off of another in the same way as some games do. They aren't comparable to the shotoclones at all. It's apples to oranges.
You just don't think of echoes the way I think of them. And I would argue, you don't think of clones correctly, as you seem to argue reasons only stated by yourself. What do Roy and Chrom have to do with each other, exactly? Chrom should play like Lucina and Marth, by his game standards. He isn't even in the same timeline as Roy as far as I'm aware. And what difference does this make?

Last edited:

Zakhara

Smash Rookie
Sub-Zero and Scorpion would make for very easy Echoes because a majority of their time in the public consciousness--especially on Nintendo systems--was spent as palette swaps. Same normals, same sprites. Much like Ken, it would be a matter of using the same base normals and different special moves.

If we're talking about how much to differentiate, their MK4 iterations have some visual variety while still keeping enough intact for ease of an Echo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Show me a third party character that doesn't look similar to their initial design.
... Sonic? At best. Meaning... he isnt short and chubby but is mostly the same.
I think when the general populous thinks of Mortal Kombat, they think of their original designs, which have been pretty much a focal point until recently (three games). Even still, Scorpion and Sub Zero have the same skeleton.
It doesn't matter what Ed Boon pushes- he just wants the character used.
It matters a lot what Ed Boon pushes. Sakurai doesn't inherently get permission just because. It's an agreement they have to work with. Sakurai will work with whatever he is given, or nothing at all.

Again, just all opinion, and I argue, not based on much. The history of the character is what Smash Ultimate is about celebrating. De facto, the palette swaps were a core component of the original games, which is why they had as many characters as they did. Whether or not you personally think this is important is irrelevant.
You also missed a key component of what makes MK what it is- which is its campiness. Notice how the thread is even called "Toasty," which is a reference to a camp aspect of the game.
I wouldn't say they're a core component as much as you think they are. They had little affect on gameplay and was more of a fan thing people liked. It's closer to a meme than an actual thing that make MK important.

Campiness, sure. Palette swaps? Not so much. That's more of a silly thing that happened and make the game easier to program. It's not remotely comparable to Ken either way. Ken was literally Player 2 because they couldn't create costumes for Ryu at the time. The ninjas were based upon the same character sprite to save development time, but only share unimportant similarities these days. Making 'em echoes because palette swaps ninjas is taking a small and unimportant aspect of MK instead of just the fact they happen to share the same bodyshape and are easy, which is the main reason Echoes exist. Not arbitrary and less important reasons. Again, they aren't akin to Shotoclones at all. Shotoclones have almost identical movesets, with even the same controls. This is not the case for the MK characters even back then, heavily differentiating them when it comes to a comparison. MK doesn't even have a shotoclone in the same way either(it does have some characters who has kind of similar moves, mainly Liu Kang and Johnny Cage).

You just don't think of echoes the way I think of them. And I would argue, you don't think of clones correctly, as you seem to argue reasons only stated by yourself. What do Roy and Chrom have to do with each other, exactly? Chrom should play like Lucina and Marth, by his game standards. He isn't even in the same timeline as Roy as far as I'm aware. And what difference does this make?
Did you do any research on Chrom? He is supposed to play as a cross between Ike and Marth, not like Marth and Lucina. This is Sakurai's own statement. Roy is actually a cross between Ike and Marth overall in gameplay. Chrom actually fits that better than Ike or Marth, the two he compares to.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We are starting to just talk in circles, so I'm winding down. Overall I think youre stating opinions that you don't seem to think are opinions, and for the most part we can leave it at what has been said. Of course, we can still continue, because this thread is for MK!

It matters a lot what Ed Boon pushes. Sakurai doesn't inherently get permission just because. It's an agreement they have to work with. Sakurai will work with whatever he is given, or nothing at all.
Unless you're suggesting Ed Boon would tell Sakurai, "No, how you want to use the character, as a tribute to the history of the cahracter, is wrong, you cannot use him," then I don't see what point you are making.
Personally, no, I think there is absolutely no way that, should we get any third party, they do not continue to do what they have done the entire time- use their most iconic looks.
For Scorpion, maybe you are arguing his new looks are more iconic. I would say, most of his new looks are just detailed versions of the old- I say this even looking at my collectors Scorpion statue from X. It's just a detailed version of his classic costume.

Did you do any research on Chrom? He is supposed to play as a cross between Ike and Marth, not like Marth and Lucina. This is Sakurai's own statement. Roy is actually a cross between Ike and Marth overall in gameplay. Chrom actually fits that better than Ike or Marth, the two he compares to.
Nope. I just use the games they are from and fan conjecture. Perhaps that's my fault, and if you want to prove to me that in his actual games, Chrom is supposed to be what you just said, I will happily listen and even redact.
But that's going off the idea that in general Fire Emblem characters are extremely different, and even if they do end up requiring differences overall in gameplay in Smash Bros competitive, they're all pretty similar, especially the four versions of Marth with minor tweaks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We are starting to just talk in circles, so I'm winding down. Overall I think youre stating opinions that you don't seem to think are opinions, and for the most part we can leave it at what has been said. Of course, we can still continue, because this thread is for MK!
Palette Swap ninjas were more of a pattern than anything(not a color pun, that said). It isn't a key factor to each game was due to lesser technology. They evolved the designs because it was no longer a necessity. It's mainly a meme because people liked the idea. More notable memes would be Scorpion's or Shao Kahn's catchphrases, really.

Unless you're suggesting Ed Boon would tell Sakurai, "No, how you want to use the character, as a tribute to the history of the cahracter, is wrong, you cannot use him," then I don't see what point you are making.
Personally, no, I think there is absolutely no way that, should we get any third party, they do not continue to do what they have done the entire time- use their most iconic looks.
For Scorpion, maybe you are arguing his new looks are more iconic. I would say, most of his new looks are just detailed versions of the old- I say this even looking at my collectors Scorpion statue from X. It's just a detailed version of his classic costume.
What I'm saying is Sakurai doesn't get to choose Scorpion's costumes without Ed Boon saying yes. If Ed says only his modern design, Sakurai either goes with that or no licensing happens. Third Party developers give Sakurai freedom in some cases, but not all do. There's a reason Sonic, Cloud, and Pac-Man's costumes are all pretty bad. With very few easy to tell apart(namely Sonic has two remotely different costumes, his dark and silver ones, with the rest near identical). The companies have an extreme amount of control of their character. Joker having a good plethora of strong costumes, same with Ryu, Ken, and MegaMan are because Sega and Capcom(s) agreed to that. Not because Sakurai said so.

Nope. I just use the games they are from and fan conjecture. Perhaps that's my fault, and if you want to prove to me that in his actual games, Chrom is supposed to be what you just said, I will happily listen and even redact.
But that's going off the idea that in general Fire Emblem characters are extremely different, and even if they do end up requiring differences overall in gameplay in Smash Bros competitive, they're all pretty similar, especially the four versions of Marth with minor tweaks.
It's because Sakurai didn't add Chrom in the first place because he found him too similar to Marth and Ike. Roy incidentally happens to have similar abilities to what Marth and Ike are, so it makes sense why Chrom is the fire boy's echo. Nobody else is as logical. Ike somewhat, but then it loses the Marth-like qualities that Sakurai looked at. Mind you, that's his opinion on what Chrom is like. I haven't played Awakening, so I can't say. I can just say what Smash already shows.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What I'm saying is Sakurai doesn't get to choose Scorpion's costumes without Ed Boon saying yes. If Ed says only his modern design, Sakurai either goes with that or no licensing happens. Third Party developers give Sakurai freedom in some cases, but not all do. There's a reason Sonic, Cloud, and Pac-Man's costumes are all pretty bad. With very few easy to tell apart(namely Sonic has two remotely different costumes, his dark and silver ones, with the rest near identical). The companies have an extreme amount of control of their character. Joker having a good plethora of strong costumes, same with Ryu, Ken, and MegaMan are because Sega and Capcom(s) agreed to that. Not because Sakurai said so.
Sakurai chooses the iconic designs. There is no reason to think that he would not here. Sakurai went out of his way to state that if Pacman could not use his more iconic design as a humanoid, then Pacman wouldn't be included at all (and this is mother freakin Pacman, grandfather to games). While we cannot assume anything in Smash (or anywhere) to perfect certainty, I'm gonna go with Scorpion being treated exactly the same way every other third party character, and even non-third party character, in Smash is treated- as an icon. That's actually something Nintendo tries to push, using the iconography of the character to be fully recognizable to any audience (this was stated in relation to their theme park coming).

It's because Sakurai didn't add Chrom in the first place because he found him too similar to Marth and Ike. Roy incidentally happens to have similar abilities to what Marth and Ike are, so it makes sense why Chrom is the fire boy's echo. Nobody else is as logical. Ike somewhat, but then it loses the Marth-like qualities that Sakurai looked at. Mind you, that's his opinion on what Chrom is like. I haven't played Awakening, so I can't say. I can just say what Smash already shows.
So... you asked me if I did research... justified by making a statement implying that you did research... and then announce your research was playing the game.

I'm not going to research Fire Emblem, because the game is completely disinteresting to me. I tried Awakening, I did not enjoy it.

So I'm not gonna continue on this portion of your logic, because you've outright stated it's based on Smash logic, not canon logic, which is what your initial argument was based around, claiming that echoes have to be historically derived of the same point, and thus, somehow, Sub Zero cannot be one.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai chooses the iconic designs. There is no reason to think that he would not here. Sakurai went out of his way to state that if Pacman could not use his more iconic design as a humanoid, then he wouldn't include him at all. While we cannot assume anything in Smash (or anywhere) to perfect certainty, I'm gonna go with Scorpion being treated exactly the same way every other third party and non-third party character in Smash is treated- as an icon. That's actually something Nintendo tries to push, using the iconography of the character (such as what was stated in relation to their theme park coming).
He only gets those "iconic designs" because the company says yes to his idea. No more, no less. Again, they agree to let him use it. He doesn't have that kind of extreme freedom like you think he does. Also, Bayonetta is no gaming icon, nor Joker for that matter. He doesn't treat them like that. He gives them as much love and care as the company who owns the character allows him to. It's why Sonic has awful costumes. But also why he has little to no Modern-related stuff, being essentially Classic Sonic in everything but his character model chosen.

You're implying he has a lot of power when he really doesn't. Again, he licenses those characters. What Ed Boon says goes in this case. If he says yes to the Klassic design, then cool. But considering the Modern design is more active and the franchise is consistently active with Scorpion in use, it's logical for him to push the Modern version. He could push either one, but the Modern one being used is a given at this point, even if it's not his first costume.

So... you asked me if I did research... justified by making a statement implying that you did research... and then announce your research was playing the game.

I'm not going to research Fire Emblem, because the game is completely disinteresting to me. I tried Awakening, I did not enjoy it.
I was referring to research on what Sakurai said, actually. I must've worded that poorly, so I apologize.. He specifically said that Chrom wasn't in because he was too similar to Marth and Ike. Which is why him being an echo of Roy is a nice meta example, as Roy actually is a cross between Marth and Ike overall. It might not be entirely why Chrom is an echo of Roy, but it's the only fitting reason we have possible. He has not spoken on it overall.

So I'm not gonna continue on this portion of your logic, because you've outright stated it's based on Smash logic, not canon logic, which is what your initial argument was based around, claiming that echoes have to be historically derived of the same point, and thus, somehow, Sub Zero cannot be one.
...That's not remotely what I said at all. I said Ken was chosen because he was essentially Ryu's costume. It's why the comparison to Scorpion and Sub-Zero don't work. They were never costumes to begin with. The costume joke isn't much of a good reason that fits. The fact they still share similar models and could potentially work is an actual reason, that still fits within the series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Really wish Scorpion would get in Smash Ultimate... and then Sub-Zero would get in the next Smash as an semi-Echo (same number, same normal moves, different special moves).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He only gets those "iconic designs" because the company says yes to his idea. No more, no less. Again, they agree to let him use it. He doesn't have that kind of extreme freedom like you think he does. Also, Bayonetta is no gaming icon, nor Joker for that matter. He doesn't treat them like that. He gives them as much love and care as the company who owns the character allows him to. It's why Sonic has awful costumes. But also why he has little to no Modern-related stuff, being essentially Classic Sonic in everything but his character model chosen.

You're implying he has a lot of power when he really doesn't. Again, he licenses those characters. What Ed Boon says goes in this case. If he says yes to the Klassic design, then cool. But considering the Modern design is more active and the franchise is consistently active with Scorpion in use, it's logical for him to push the Modern version. He could push either one, but the Modern one being used is a given at this point, even if it's not his first costume.
There is not a single character in all of Smash that uses a 'new' version of the character over the most iconic version of the character- so much so that characters who had potentially more iconic designs that were not viable for the main version of the character (Wario and Little Mac) were given alternates. This is what I was saying. Not that each character is an icon, but that each character chooses their most Iconic design. This is a choice by Sakurai, and we have 75 characters showing us this is likely to remain this way.
Also- youre speaking as if the Klassic version is even that different from the modern. They arent. Almost every Scorpion looks just about the same, with more detail being included.
Even Sub Zero. Their models are identical enough that they can be used. Unless you want to get into programming and prove to me why this is wrong, you've done a terrible job at proving this point.
Moreover, Ed Boon isn't a fool- if he is offered a spot in the roster, he will likely take it.

I was referring to research on what Sakurai said, actually. I must've worded that poorly, so I apologize.. He specifically said that Chrom wasn't in because he was too similar to Marth and Ike. Which is why him being an echo of Roy is a nice meta example, as Roy actually is a cross between Marth and Ike overall. It might not be entirely why Chrom is an echo of Roy, but it's the only fitting reason we have possible. He has not spoken on it overall.
And likewise, we go back to my initial statement that Sub Zero could easily be an echo for Scorpion.

...That's not remotely what I said at all. I said Ken was chosen because he was essentially Ryu's costume. It's why the comparison to Scorpion and Sub-Zero don't work. They were never costumes to begin with. The costume joke isn't much of a good reason that fits. The fact they still share similar models and could potentially work is an actual reason, that still fits within the series.
If you felt my reasoning was initially because of history and that the color swap was used, well, then perhaps I did not word myself carefully. I was pretty sure my initial post included many reasons.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is not a single character in all of Smash that uses a 'new' version of the character over the most iconic version of the character- so much so that characters who had potentially more iconic designs that were not viable for the main version of the character (Wario and Little Mac) were given alternates. This is what I was saying. Not that each character is an icon, but that each character chooses their most Iconic design. This is a choice by Sakurai, and we have 75 characters showing us this is likely to remain this way.
Also- youre speaking as if the Klassic version is even that different from the modern. They arent. Almost every Scorpion looks just about the same, with more detail being included.
Even Sub Zero. Their models are identical enough that they can be used. Unless you want to get into programming and prove to me why this is wrong, you've done a terrible job at proving this point.
Moreover, Ed Boon isn't a fool- if he is offered a spot in the roster, he will likely take it.
Sonic. He explicitly uses his Modern design, not his Classic Design(his moves were mostly classic, though he somewhat changed it up with modern animations in Ultimate, but he's pretty much Classic in a Modern body). Never mind you're making a pattern sound like fact. That's not how it works. He'll use whatever A) He wants and B) Ed Boon says yes to. No more, no less. That's how it 100% works in negotiations. Not every company says yes, you know. Also Cloud is based upon his Dissidia design, as well his movie design, not his original PS1 designs. So what you said isn't even true. Neither are "classic" designs by any means. You should visit SourceGaming. They have a lot of neat information on stuff like this.

And likewise, we go back to my initial statement that Sub Zero could easily be an echo for Scorpion.

If you felt my reasoning was initially because of history and that the color swap was used, well, then perhaps I did not word myself carefully. I was pretty sure my initial post included many reasons.
That was the only that stood out as a pretty silly reason. It doesn't account for important stuff like the fact they have the same bodyshape(which hasn't much changed) or used the same moves. Either I missed that, or you put too much emphasis on a less important reason. Besides that, your comparison to Ken was the issue, where they simply aren't similar whatsoever in why they work. It was already explained why Ken got in. He was a glorified costume in his original appearance. Kind of like what Echoes are. Sub-Zero definitely isn't that to Scorpion at all. They can still work as Echoes, but "cause colors" is highly unlikely to be a given reason.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sub Zero as a echo of Scorpion would be just to get him in the game. Otherwise, their aesthetics (ARE) different. Scorpion is like assassin and stealthy base while Sub Zero is more patience who waits to trap his foes then deliver punishers.

Its even safe to assume Sub Zero would feel heavier than Scorpion.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sub Zero as a echo of Scorpion would be just to get him in the game.
Yeah. That's what we were told of echoes as a whole.
Sonic. He explicitly uses his Modern design, not his Classic Design(his moves were mostly classic, though he somewhat changed it up with modern animations in Ultimate, but he's pretty much Classic in a Modern body). Never mind you're making a pattern sound like fact. That's not how it works. He'll use whatever A) He wants and B) Ed Boon says yes to. No more, no less. That's how it 100% works in negotiations. Not every company says yes, you know. Also Cloud is based upon his Dissidia design, as well his movie design, not his original PS1 designs. So what you said isn't even true. Neither are "classic" designs by any means. You should visit SourceGaming. They have a lot of neat information on stuff like this.
I've frequented Source Gaming a lot. I've even worked with them. Again- I've specifically said, yeah Ed Boon could say no- but do you think he would? You think he would be so hard headed as to say, "You want to use the classic, iconic design of my character, not the new one? No." It's a possibility, sure. It's just not that plausible. The DLC could entirely be cancelled! But is it likely- no.
I even brought up Sonic as a specific example before- who uses (not his modern design, which is lankier and more... awful), but honestly- there really isn't that much difference in classic sonic versus the Sonic we have- not to mention, there really isnt that much difference in Scorpion from the older games until now.

Anyway- i'm not responding anymore to that topic, its been too cyclical.
I'm gonna go back to my question of before: is it possible, ratings wise, for Scorpion to, himself, bleed? (Meaning, he bleeds when hit).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah. That's what we were told of echoes as a whole.

I've frequented Source Gaming a lot. I've even worked with them. Again- I've specifically said, yeah Ed Boon could say no- but do you think he would? You think he would be so hard headed as to say, "You want to use the classic, iconic design of my character, not the new one? No." It's a possibility, sure. It's just not that plausible. The DLC could entirely be cancelled! But is it likely- no.
I even brought up Sonic as a specific example before- who uses (not his modern design, which is lankier and more... awful), but honestly- there really isn't that much difference in classic sonic versus the Sonic we have- not to mention, there really isnt that much difference in Scorpion from the older games until now.
Sonic definitely uses his modern design. He just doesn't use a modern moveset. His modern design, keep in mind, was used through Sonic 06(and beyond that, of course), which is also the victory theme he has. It's hardly a coincidence.

There's little reason likewise to believe he would agree to use the Klassic design. Not when he pushes the modern design as the main one. It might be a costume, but the modern design is the main one he wants as the focus for the character. Why would that change at all? Klassic is a bonus design at this point.

Anyway- i'm not responding anymore to that topic, its been too cyclical.
I'm gonna go back to my question of before: is it possible, ratings wise, for Scorpion to, himself, bleed? (Meaning, he bleeds when hit).
Obviously he won't. At best sparks flying. Blood ain't appearing in Smash, that's for sure. The word might, if trophies still existed. But they don't, so...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Obviously he won't. At best sparks flying. Blood ain't appearing in Smash, that's for sure. The word might, if trophies still existed. But they don't, so...
It hasn't, so it wont.
That is not a very useful argument.
Is there something in the games ratings (across countries) that prevent it?
Nothing happens until it does.
There was not really reason for blood to happen before.
Now, there arguably is, again- its part of the legacy of Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom