• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

Oddball

Smash Lord
What Mii costumes would you most like to see with Scorpion?

I'd actually like to see a classic Sonya as a fighter.
Raiden with a staff would be a good Swordsman.
I don't know what they'd do for gunner, if anything.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord

I would love to see Shao Kahn as a Swordfighter Mii costume, with his hammer being the sword.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would love to see Shao Kahn as a Swordfighter Mii costume, with his hammer being the sword.
He's a weird one. He's too slow to fit as Brawler, Swordfighter barely matches his Hammer, and he obviously is no Gunner.

Albeit, Brawler does fit some of how he is at times. He's actually kind of like Ganondorf in some ways, a powerful monk that uses his weapon and uses physical magic most of the time(with the exception of a tiny few projectile-related attacks).

Speaking of, his Spirit should use Ganondorf.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
SuperDoom1 SuperDoom1 can I be added to the support list? I’m kinda shocked I’m not already on it. At this point, Scorpion is my dream character. I grew up with MK and while I never would have pictured him in Smash back in the day, it really feels like a possibility now.

I’m a huge fighting game nerd. Having characters like Chun-Li, Akuma, Sol Badguy, and Heihachi would be really exciting for me. I’m also the kind of weirdo that buys fighting games for the story and characters. MK Deception is one of my favorite video games of all time, despite the fact that I never played it competitively. I’m just genuinely obsessed with the characters and lore of MK. I also love the history of MK and all the secrets and little details. I love how the classic games have such a unique charm to them. I love how they would turn rumored characters into a reality. I love how often the developers troll their fans. I love how frequently they change up the gameplay. The series is pretty rough around the edges, but you can tell that a ton of love and care is put into every game. While I also adore games like MK11 and MKX for the competitive aspect, there is so much more to MK for me.

Sorry about the obsessive rant. I could talk about MK for hours.

Definitely Raiden. He’s extremely iconic and having his hat as a Mii hat would be great. Maybe we could also have an “MK ninja” brawler? Have it work like Bomberman where you can change the color of the costume. That way you can have a mii costume that references Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac, Rain, etc.

Maybe Goro could be a brawler? It would probably look ridiculous, but I think it could be funny.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me, I would say a Triborg Brawler costume where if you choose Red, Yellow, Purple, and Cyan for Mii, then the Triborg costume will turn into Sektor, Cyrax, Cyber Smoke, and Cyber Sub-Zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/mortal_kombat_dev_rumoured_to_be_working_on_marvel_fighter

So, any thoughts on this? Seems like it'd the next logical course of action for NR Studios to take.
Ed Boon has been teasing about a Marvel fighting game for awhile now. I do think it’s highly likely that Netherrealm studios are or will (if not already) make this game. Warner Bros also owns TT Games, the same TT Games that make the LEGO Marvel Super Heroes games and are currently working on LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. I hope this game comes true, with a Marvel vs Mortal Kombat game as well.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
We’re about to get MK vs DC and MK vs Marvel before MK vs Street Fighter.

If we could finally get a Marvel vs DC fighting game, that would be awesome. NRS’s high end, cheesy ass story modes would be perfect for this kind of thing. I’d hope for something a bit more colorful and fast-paced than Injustice, but even an Injustice clone would still satisfy me.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As someone with pretty much no history with Mortal Kombat (and very little with fighting games in general), I decided to watch the new movie. I actually really liked it! More than Sonic, if that tells you anything. The bits and pieces of MK gameplay I've seen over the years, combined with the movie's really fun and gory action, turned me into a Scorpion supporter. So yeah, add me to that list.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Marvel is owned by WB’s top competitor, so unless it actually happens, I’ll be skeptical for a number of reasons.

As for the new MK movie, I wanted to like it but couldn’t. I won’t take away from those who did, but here we are with a 25+ year old franchise which was about how long it waited for a new film... I can understand making creative liberties to an extent but the script and screenplay wildly change up the formula of the "MK tournament" and source material.

The film doesn't even have the tournament aspect for that matter or buildup to it. No boat, no island of Shang Tsung... They just had the bad guys try to invade earth prematurely, probably so the film creators could avoid having to make all the set pieces.

That said, my favorite part was Sub-Zero. Most of the budget went to him and his powers and his portrayer Joe Taslim was the best martial artist by far, but a lot of the other fight scenes were choppy or badly edited. I’m a bit hopeful for the sequel at least (the film sales already surpassed its overall budget in two days, so it’s happening) with some of the things set up and can’t be any worse than what we just got, but the way a lot of the characters were wasted (Goro, etc) while all the game heroes were delegated to side characters to drive the narrative of the studio mandated character Cole Young (Alice from Resident Evil all over again just as I feared), they’re shooting themselves in the foot before they get the ball rolling.

Definitely looking forward to an animated sequel/Scorpion’s Revenge followup more now, but at least MK media will be prominent again, for better or worse.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
The movie was ok, loved Kano and Kabal. I also dig that some of the fights took place in regular Earthrealm settings that made characters like Goro magical. Not expecting any ground breaking from its teased sequel. I'm just happy MK is on the big screen again.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The movie was ok, loved Kano and Kabal. I also dig that some of the fights took place in regular Earthrealm settings that made characters like Goro magical. Not expecting any ground breaking from its teased sequel. I'm just happy MK is on the big screen again.
They did Goro dirty. I mean you can argue that he was cheaply taken out in the other adaptations, but he was done the worst here by far. No buildup, attacked a car, had but one rushed fight scene, and then was done away with once the WB studio mandated character discovered his power. At least in the other films Goro got to kill or show off his strength awhile first.

He’ll have no impact either even if he does somehow get brought back for the tournament, making Kintaro seem like the better option for a sequel now. Cole Young who didn’t win a fight previously didn’t earn the right to fight Goro. Fighting the 9 time Shokan champion is a privilege, a rite of passage… Cole shouldn’t of been able to even breathe near him.

And don’t get me started on his generic CG design (an orc from Warcraft with two extra arms attached) compared to the original film where he was practical.

7CE2763D-AB58-4D86-AC03-114011B896C0.png

Still prefer the original Reptile too, on that note.

673ECA04-B919-4219-AB8B-7C66B010A0E1.png

UserKev

Smash Champion
Should have lowered your expectations there, bud. Mortal Kombat 2021 wasn't going to be a ground breaker or good film. Mortal Kombat will always be a camp fire good flick.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Should have lowered your expectations there, bud. Mortal Kombat 2021 wasn't going to be a ground breaker or good film. Mortal Kombat will always be a camp fire good flick.
When we waited 24 years after Annihilation for a new film, having some expectations was reasonable, but I wasn't expecting a ground breaker. Just some half decent adaptation but with gore added, but it was hardly even that. Hell, some of the previous attempts one could argue were done better like with MK Legacy despite the problems that were had with its style. The creator behind it wanted to do an MK film, but wasn't given the budget to do so. Instead we get this other guy that hadn't even directed a film previously to do MK 2021 and it shows. With all the connections WB's got, it's not like they couldn't of had some experienced/established director to do the film either.

Not referring to you here specifically, but it seems like having some standards for quality is a bad thing now in the MK fandom, with the way people are arguing over this divisive movie. If people liked it, fine, but those who weren't satisfied should be able to voice their opinions as freely.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I watched the new Mortal Kombat movie on HBOMax, and I kind of enjoyed it. But I’m not without complaints. Why was there no tournament involved? And why did they make Reptile look like his Deadly Alliance design?!

UserKev

Smash Champion
When we waited 24 years after Annihilation for a new film, having some expectations was reasonable, but I wasn't expecting a ground breaker. Just some half decent adaptation but with gore added, but it was hardly even that. Hell, some of the previous attempts one could argue were done better like with MK Legacy despite the problems that were had with its style. The creator behind it wanted to do an MK film, but wasn't given the budget to do so. Instead we get this other guy that hadn't even directed a film previously to do MK 2021 and it shows. With all the connections WB's got, it's not like they couldn't of had some experienced/established director to do the film either.

Not referring to you here specifically, but it seems like having some standards for quality is a bad thing now in the MK fandom, with the way people are arguing over this divisive movie. If people liked it, fine, but those who weren't satisfied should be able to voice their opinions as freely.
Its unfortunate for MK. The franchise has so much potential, but most only want to see the iconic characters, they are the selling point. I actually suggested that MK would do better if the film rights were given to Marvel or Disney.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Its unfortunate for MK. The franchise has so much potential, but most only want to see the iconic characters, they are the selling point. I actually suggested that MK would do better if the film rights were given to Marvel or Disney.
I guess, though could also see HBO doing a live action spinoff show. Really liked MK Conquest back in the day.

Most of the problems of MK 2021 to begin with lies with Cole Young, who was an uninteresting character all around, let alone as the main lead. If he wasn't sticking his hands in his Navy blue pants in the background, he was getting his ass kicked so much that it became his literal superpower/plot armor. There was no point to his existence other than the farfetched reason of "We needed somebody the audience can relate to, that don't know Mortal Kombat", which is a simple premise anyway even for people that had been living under a rock during its decades of existence. Pretty sure too that Kano (one of the only few positives of the film) fit the bill better in vocalizing what I'm sure people watching were thinking. Cole just mocks the spelling of the game title and becomes an angsty teen from there on. The story attempts to make him important and cool like with Goro as aforementioned or interrupting Scorpion and Sub-Zero's iconic anticipated battle and making it end in a handicap fight against the latter, but doesn't work in a way that makes people like him. Even Scorpion's Revenge gave Liu Kang and the other heroes more to do in the end thanks to this nobody hogging most of the focus.

Before MK 2021 came out (like a month before), I was also put off by one of the writer’s explanation on why Johnny Cage wasn’t included; basically not wanting a white male hero amongst a diverse cast, but if they had just said nothing on Cage until after release and people saw the film and the tease for him at the end, his fans (like myself) wouldn’t of felt so ostracized going in. Johnny really should’ve been there to begin with though instead of Cole even if he wasn’t the main character, which he’s usually not but is always a beloved presence. Saving him for a sequel is better than not having him at all, but he’s an MK1 veteran.

Oh yeah, didn’t like the cast choice they had for Raiden either. Some of the minor mooks like Nitara and Reiko I didn't mind being in, but their look and execution were so egregious that if they weren't named, I'd have probably assumed they were just generic dickheads for the heroes to overcome. Reiko particularly was unrecognizable, and Nitara had but 20 seconds of screentime before being sliced and diced. Her cameo in Scorpion’s Revenge was more respectful.

The movie had some good parts, but the cons simply overshadow the pros as a whole.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Too accurate. :laugh: Looking forward to the HISHE (how it should have ended) and such for the film too, on that note.

Also, the initial reports may have overestimated MK 2021's financial success. It had a major drop after the opening weekend. Sure there's covid and things to consider, but if it was a better film, you could still argue it'd be making somewhere more. Kinda leaves a sequel for it less certain than originally thought. In any case, I'm glad it hasn't sold more than the original 1995 film from the looks of it.

Last but not least,

Would explain why we haven't heard from NRS in awhile.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would love Scorpion and Sub-Zero in Smash. While I prefer Sub-Zero, I think either character would be awesome. Thankfully, whichever one got in, the other would be a pretty easy semiclone with just alternate specials if they based the characters off the classic games.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I would love Scorpion and Sub-Zero in Smash. While I prefer Sub-Zero, I think either character would be awesome. Thankfully, whichever one got in, the other would be a pretty easy semiclone with just alternate specials if they based the characters off the classic games.

I'd love both.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see a Smash battle between Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Terry, Kazuya, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero?

Street Fighter vs. Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters vs. Tekken vs. Mortal Kombat. It would be unreal.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, I want Scorpion badly in this game but the ship has sailed with Kazuya.

I don't think we are getting two fighting game characters in a row, there's just too much against my boi realistically speaking but I would kill to see a four way crossover between MK, KoF, Tekken and MK.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, I want Scorpion badly in this game but the ship has sailed with Kazuya.

I don't think we are getting two fighting game characters in a row, there's just too much against my boi realistically speaking but I would kill to see a four way crossover between MK, KoF, Tekken and MK.
To be fair, we did get Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra back to back as well as Joker and Hero so getting two characters of the same genre in a row wouldn’t be unprecedented. I’m not really expecting him at this point either but I wouldn’t say all hope is lost yet.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I would love for him to be in guys... He is on the dream list of mine,.. I really doubt it though... Really really really doubt it... :(

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Am I missing a Side Special written somewhere?
" Side B: Dial-A-Kombo: Similar to Marth and co.'s Side B but with moves Scorpion/Sub-Zero use in their Kombos in UMK3. Animations are different depending on who's used. "

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/mortal_kombat_dev_rumoured_to_be_working_on_marvel_fighter

So, any thoughts on this? Seems like it'd the next logical course of action for NR Studios to take.
Next logical step? A slasher/horror movie fighting game.
" Side B: Dial-A-Kombo: Similar to Marth and co.'s Side B but with moves Scorpion/Sub-Zero use in their Kombos in UMK3. Animations are different depending on who's used. "
Thanks....why isn't it written with the other specials?
I'd love both.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see a Smash battle between Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Terry, Kazuya, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero?

Street Fighter vs. Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters vs. Tekken vs. Mortal Kombat. It would be unreal.
I agree with the premise, but I would prefer any new FGC, over a third from Street Fighter.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To be fair, we did get Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra back to back as well as Joker and Hero so getting two characters of the same genre in a row wouldn’t be unprecedented. I’m not really expecting him at this point either but I wouldn’t say all hope is lost yet.
Yeah, but RPGs don't play by the same rules- they are historically favored...considerably.
That would be a licensing nightmare.
Doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Interesting... So yeah, I guess MK has had a complete non-presence in Japan for the longest time outside of the fans there that imported the later games like some of us suspected. Unless that changes, I would probably not ever expect Scorpion to join Smash. I mean how would Sakurai promote it to his home audience, besides telling them to import it like some of them already do?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Interesting... So yeah, I guess MK has had a complete non-presence in Japan for the longest time outside of the fans there that imported the later games like some of us suspected. Unless that changes, I would probably not ever expect Scorpion to join Smash. I mean how would Sakurai promote it to his home audience, besides telling them to import it like some of them already do?
Mortal Kombat has media presence outside of just the video games. Yes, they are primarily video games, but the lore has made it into many other fields, most notably movies. Hence, it being on the list of 'highest grossing media franchises,' above any other fighting game.

Something else in favor of Scorpion/MK, is that NR is a smaller studio, with fewer games, used to negotiating rights to characters, themselves. This all could lead to a MK character being easier (Though, it is still not something I expect- just greatly want).

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
If there was a chance for a MK character inclusion, it's completely gone with Kazuya's reveal. There's no way in hell they're adding two fighting game characters in a row. But i'm pretty happy with Kazuya, ****ing great character.

Top Bottom